ADVERTISEMENT

This Woody stuff never gets old.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Can we get another round of a acerbic comments from the peanut gallery. What's more with feeling about Woody being so so old and tired and not being being able to relate to these young people.

No guarantees about what the chemistry is going to be but I'm excited about the prospects.

I like the part about he should be doing this and he should be doing that…… just because we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors, doesn’t mean he’s not doing all he can…..don’t remember anyone suggesting he have Mark Cuban call or Melo

I like the part about he should be doing this and he should be doing that…… just because we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors, doesn’t mean he’s not doing all he can…..don’t remember anyone suggesting he have Mark Cuban call or Melo
I like it when people say we should practice free throws and shooting like it's some profound novel idea no one has ever tried before.

fwiw - the mass stupidity is not a bug or option, it's a feature and can be very entertaining in its own way.

Last edited:
Can we get another round of a acerbic comments from the peanut gallery. What's more with feeling about Woody being so so old and tired and not being being able to relate to these young people.

No guarantees about what the chemistry is going to be but I'm excited about the prospects.
???

Link?

It’s funny that the naysayers keep complaining that it’s never good enough, even though since day one he’s been on an upward trajectory towards success. Granted, the level of success was not that significant from year one to year two, but there was still progress with basically playing mostly with what was left to him by Archie. Now, the core unit has been wiped out, so what he manages to do is completely rebuild the team, within a two month span.

Again, an upward trajectory, that could conceivably take us from a top 20-25 team to a top 5-10 team, considering our talent upgrades.

Can you really ask any more from a first time college coach?

I’m never sure which is worse, the negative nellies or the jokers that post this kind of drivel every time something good happens. The “i told you” crap is just as tired as the other end.

I’m as excited as the next guy with how this offseason has gone, but I’ll wait until we’ve seen a few games before crowning anyone king of the B1G.

I’m never sure which is worse, the negative nellies or the jokers that post this kind of drivel every time something good happens. The “i told you” crap is just as tired as the other end.

I’m as excited as the next guy with how this offseason has gone, but I’ll wait until we’ve seen a few games before crowning anyone king of the B1G.
. :)

I like it when people say we should practice free throws and shooting like it's some profound novel idea no one has ever tried before.

fwiw - the mass stupidity is not a bug or option, it's a feature and can be very entertaining in its own way.
Thanks for adding that was thinking same thing

That was profound, I do find you entertaining if nothing else.

I think people forget how miserable IU bball was with little Archie in charge.
We never made the tourney!!! Can you imagine if we just missed the tourney next year? No chance that happens now. Woody has IU lightyears from where we were. For sure preseason top 25 team.

Reactions: jaygyure
I’m as thrilled as anyone about last Friday’s huge recruiting coup. And I’m definitely glad that Woody is our coach, but let’s not get carried away with this recent success and act like he has 5-star high schoolers knocking down his door begging for the opportunity to come to Btown. The only reason MM was available was because a Duke player, who everyone, including his coach, thought would depart this year for the NBA, did not. Thankfully, the dominoes fell our way this time.

I don’t think that we can count on late portal opportunities appearing seemingly out of nowhere to save our bacon as our SOP. Without two key portal pick ups, we were most likely looking at a bottom half of the B1G finish, and fighting to even be a bubble team.

I’m as thrilled as anyone about last Friday’s huge recruiting coup. And I’m definitely glad that Woody is our coach, but let’s not get carried away with this recent success and act like he has 5-star high schoolers knocking down his door begging for the opportunity to come to Btown. The only reason MM was available was because a Duke player, who everyone, including his coach, thought would depart this year for the NBA, did not. Thankfully, the dominoes fell our way this time.

I don’t think that we can count on late portal opportunities appearing seemingly out of nowhere to save our bacon as our SOP. Without two key portal pick ups, we were most likely looking at a bottom half of the B1G finish, and fighting to even be a bubble team.

I see you and others qualifying these recruiting wins, but the bottom line is, the bacon was saved. Without these players committing recently, next year is an absolute rebuilding year. Woodson avoided losing the bacon, and next year is going to be competitive again. #wehavebacon

Scoreboard > hypotheticals ..

Reactions: Cavanagh

But Woodson hasn’t proven he can recruit with the big dogs.

Woodson only managed to put together a team for next year that has 3 McDonald’s All-Americans to go along with a couple of solid veteran players and a handful of highly regarded players. That’s all. He only managed to get 2nd in the B1G with his two most experienced and key players dealing with injuries.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
We got very lucky > we didn’t
Realistic view > choosing to believe that it was the plan all along
Sound, reliable, repeatable strategy > hoping to catch lightning in a bottle every year
You do realize that Woodson has been here 3 years right? In those three years he got Tamar, Malik, Ware, and Mack all after the season in late commits. That is what they call a trend my friend. Luck has nothing to do with it.

until they start voting

Reactions: asindc and T.M.P.
We got very lucky > we didn’t
Realistic view > choosing to believe that it was the plan all along
Sound, reliable, repeatable strategy > hoping to catch lightning in a bottle every year
It had more to do with money than luck.

I see no reason why we won’t be a top 5 spending program on a consistent basis. I’m not convinced that Woodson is a big factor in recruiting either way, it’s more about the packages that the boosters are throwing at these recruits (IMHO).

Reactions: Bucket Getter

I see no reason why we won’t be a top 5 spending program on a consistent basis. I’m not convinced that Woodson is a big factor in recruiting either way, it’s more about the packages that the boosters are throwing at these recruits (IMHO).
ehhhh. NIL has a lot to do with it, but it for sure is not the end all be all with these guys. Getting to the NBA, playing time, and the coach, all just as big a part of it as NIL. But I would assume we will be in the top 5 of NIL spending from here on out.

Reactions: 76-1
ehhhh. NIL has a lot to do with it, but it for sure is not the end all be all with these guys. Getting to the NBA, playing time, and the coach, all just as big a part of it as NIL. But I would assume we will be in the top 5 of NIL spending from here on out.
Sure, there are a number of factors. But, having the NIL allows those other factors to come into play. While NIL isn’t the “end all”, slice the packages by 90% and we aren’t even going to be considered.

Truth is, IU has a lot to offer. Money, prestige, exposure, NBA coaching pedigree, crazy fans, cool facilities, nice campus, hot coeds, etc. There’s no reason to not put a consistent winner on the court. Unless you’re Archie. 😉

I’m not convinced that Woodson is a big factor in recruiting either way, it’s more about the packages that the boosters are throwing at these recruits (IMHO).
meh..... you don't actually know, so why even guess.

We never made the tourney!!! Can you imagine if we just missed the tourney next year? No chance that happens now. Woody has IU lightyears from where we were. For sure preseason top 25 team.
Don’t care about preseason rankings so much, but they do help… I’d rather be ranked highly at the end of the year.

Irrelevant how or when we get players. Only that we get talent that fits our needs. If we make a nice tourney run, nobody on here is going to give two sheyots about how we landed any recruit.

Catch 22: the big weakness, to the extent there was one, in Woody's resume was that he has or had no track record of developing college basketball players. Of course the fact that he had been in the NBA ever since getting out of college had more than just a little bit to do with it.

Before Woody can be judged on how he develops younger players he's going to have to get younger players and have the time to develop them.

Listen to what MM and his teammate said about the coaching staff and what Woody did with JHS and TJD and you will get an idea that Woody is most definitely a major factor in the recruiting wars. It helps to have the success though, and one more good year of relevance/success and it can only help. Here’s to hoping we have an even better season.

Reactions: IUgradman
Catch 22: the big weakness, to the extent there was one, in Woody's resume was that he has or had no track record of developing college basketball players. Of course the fact that he had been in the NBA ever since getting out of college had more than just a little bit to do with it.

Before Woody can be judged on how he develops younger players he's going to have to get younger players and have the time to develop them.
He’s had 2 years with Galloway and I would say he’s gotten better each yr and so did TJD but the rest, meh, only incremental improvement

Reactions: IUgradman
He’s had 2 years with Galloway and I would say he’s gotten better each yr and so did TJD but the rest, meh, only incremental improvement
I think that the coach does play an important part in making the player "smarter" on the court, making better decisions, etc. However, the physical development of a player is most likely a factor of the player's personal motivation and the players innate genetic given physical qualities. To understand the coach's impact on a player's development, you must separate these two very different types of "development".

Look no further than VO's development to see what personal motivation and skills mean. His coach sure didn't add much. :cool:

I don’t know how fair that is. Even Bates improved, just not to the degree we wanted him to. The only “failure” so far, if you wanna call it that, would be JG. What happened with him is still an enigma to me.

Irrelevant how or when we get players. Only that we get talent that fits our needs. If we make a nice tourney run, nobody on here is going to give two sheyots about how we landed any recruit.
It’s not relevant until we stop getting top players. Then it becomes a very big deal.

It’s not relevant until we stop getting top players. Then it becomes a very big deal.
If that happens, then feel free to complain and maybe it would be justified if it became a bad pattern. But this staff has recruited quite well their first two cycles. And that’s on a short time frame, where they had to quickly build relationships. They didn’t have the luxury of building up over 2, 3, 4+ years. We shall see how it all plays out, but nothing shows me I should view recruiting in a negative light.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT