ADVERTISEMENT

This was unacceptable!

It serves to make the statistic less useful. Both creampuffs are just that...easy wins.

SOS measures the overall ranking of the opponents, which is fine but also distorts what we are really after.

If you play 10 games vs # 175 and I play 10 games vs #250...your SOS is much better than mine...but useless. We both played 10 Hostess Cupcakes; all easy Ws. I put all the cupcakes in one basket and measure who played the most. Then use rankings where they matter.

175 is much different then 125 like you originally stated. Nebraska is around 125 and we almost lost to them, so they are not an easy win for IU, therefor not a creampuff. We would lose to those teams this year. Especially on a neutral court or away.

Thanks for the correction. I looked at the wrong number when I posted. I think we’re a better team this year and you’re correct that Kenpom’s overall rating backs it up.
No worries man. I could tell how it happened...

Our trend is still positive, but it has to stay that way. I think we'd all be a little more comfortable if the trend line was pointed upward at a little higher angle. And this can't be the peak.

Reactions: MrBing
It wasn't the loss that bothered me. It was the attitude of Davis on the bench laughing and joking with Hunter during the late timeout when we were down 5. The more I think about it , the more it bothers me. Hunter wasn't participating in the jocularity. He had the look of stfu and don't make it look like I am encouraging your behavior. Most players, especially those in uniform, would be focused on the game and aware of the situation. I mean, if you are in uniform, you might get into the game. Davis had already made his cameo appearance. He faded away from the basket on a 3 foot jumper against a smaller player and took his seat. He was happy on the bench. He was the only happy player on the team and was either not watching or he didn't care.

Those that wanted Archie to use all 13 scholarships take note. We have 10 players that should be ready to play in any game. I don't want to see Davis on the court based on his play and what I saw Sunday. He could play if Brunk, TJD and Thompson are all fouled out and Smith or Hunter need a rest.

The danger is that Davis gets even less engaged and starts being a distraction in the locker room. I feel Archie is playing him just enough to avoid that situation or giving him a chance in case he has one more good game left in him.

Those that felt Archie was cheating us by not using all 13 scholarships have hopefully figured out why he didn't fill the roster with human victory cigars.

The next time our guards can't make an open 3 or pass the ball to their own team, I hope Archie puts in the best shooter we have, Cooper Bybee. I would expect him to hustle in the spirit of Suhr or Hulls and make the most of his appearance. It might also make those that are sucking work a little harder, think a little more, and care a little more about their situation the next time they are in the game.

Reactions: Radio Zero
It wasn't the loss that bothered me. It was the attitude of Davis on the bench laughing and joking with Hunter during the late timeout when we were down 5. The more I think about it , the more it bothers me. Hunter wasn't participating in the jocularity. He had the look of stfu and don't make it look like I am encouraging your behavior. Most players, especially those in uniform, would be focused on the game and aware of the situation. I mean, if you are in uniform, you might get into the game. Davis had already made his cameo appearance. He faded away from the basket on a 3 foot jumper against a smaller player and took his seat. He was happy on the bench. He was the only happy player on the team and was either not watching or he didn't care.
I didn't see that but it's troubling to think about and I guess at this point it isn't surprising. Davis has been a huge disappointment this season. Before the season I thought best case he would be playing close to his pre-injury sophomore level after another summer of recovery and practice while the worst case would be a continuation of his level of play from last season. He's playing way below what I thought would be the worst case. 1/2 the mpg, 1.5 ppg which is down from 5.4 ppg, from 2.5 rpg to 1.0 rpg, and shooting 25% which is much worse than the 60% he shot both seasons before this. There are more as he's worse in almost every single statistical category.

Some people are disappointed in Hunter but I didn't have big expectations for him this season although I do for the future. Green didn't find consistency in the offseason which I'm not too surprised by. Phinisee has been injured which explains why his play has been disappointing. To me, the biggest disappointment has been Davis and if he just doesn't care then that could explain why. It's to the point where I expect bad things to happen when I see him in the game.

I didn't see that but it's troubling to think about and I guess at this point it isn't surprising. Davis has been a huge disappointment this season. Before the season I thought best case he would be playing close to his pre-injury sophomore level after another summer of recovery and practice while the worst case would be a continuation of his level of play from last season. He's playing way below what I thought would be the worst case. 1/2 the mpg, 1.5 ppg which is down from 5.4 ppg, from 2.5 rpg to 1.0 rpg, and shooting 25% which is much worse than the 60% he shot both seasons before this. There are more as he's worse in almost every single statistical category.

Some people are disappointed in Hunter but I didn't have big expectations for him this season although I do for the future. Green didn't find consistency in the offseason which I'm not too surprised by. Phinisee has been injured which explains why his play has been disappointing. To me, the biggest disappointment has been Davis and if he just doesn't care then that could explain why. It's to the point where I expect bad things to happen when I see him in the game.

I trust most of us have played sports at various levels. davis laughing is obviously awful to watch. that being said, he's still a kid, and who knows how he feels. we've all been on teams where a player or two feel like they're on the outs for whatever reason and feign indifference etc. part of that is just being a kid i'm sure.

So because Archie

Those that wanted Archie to use all 13 scholarships take note. We have 10 players that should be ready to play in any game. I don't want to see Davis on the court based on his play and what I saw Sunday. He could play if Brunk, TJD and Thompson are all fouled out and Smith or Hunter need a rest.

The danger is that Davis gets even less engaged and starts being a distraction in the locker room. I feel Archie is playing him just enough to avoid that situation or giving him a chance in case he has one more good game left in him.

Those that felt Archie was cheating us by not using all 13 scholarships have hopefully figured out why he didn't fill the roster with human victory cigars.

The next time our guards can't make an open 3 or pass the ball to their own team, I hope Archie puts in the best shooter we have, Cooper Bybee. I would expect him to hustle in the spirit of Suhr or Hulls and make the most of his appearance. It might also make those that are sucking work a little harder, think a little more, and care a little more about their situation the next time they are in the game.
Let me write what I read that you are saying...
Archie has had enough trouble recruiting 10 or 11 good basketball players to make up his teams that want to play hard, just imagine if he’d try to bring in a full roster of 13...

So 2 more Archie recruits would turn this possible mess into an outright shitshow?

Have I paraphrased correctly?

One of the things that was apparent to me was that Arkansas really knows how to space the floor to play their offensive sets and we don't. You saw Arkansas set some one man picks for their outside shooters, but you saw their other players maintaining 10-15 distances from the ball with floor balance forcing us to defend and not be able to double team or jam up their Offense.

On the other hand our Offense is too congested with players dribbling into traffic with so little spacing that it only takes two defenders to defend three players because there is no space or angle to get the ball to those players.
Great observation

A teams culture isn’t decided by you, me, etc. A teams culture is only identified, understood by those in the “program”... Coaches, Players, admin”

Wrong.
Culture is made by the environment which is made up by everyone, esp the fans bc those same fans are those who fill IU, both inside and out, with the influences, ideas and view points that shape the University.
Why do you think Knight is still so GREATLY praised today\ such a big picture in IU "culture".
Bc the environment (including\esp fans) dictates so.

Correct. Because defense has been much better across the board in college basketball this year. Likely because of the 3 PT line change.

Ok, is it not possible, or even probable, that our slight improvement in defense is a product of the same?

Ok, is it not possible, or even probable, that our slight improvement in defense is a product of the same?
I'd say its a combination of the line moving, and other factors. But, if you want to discount the numbers on defense, then you have to adjust their offense numbers too. Either way, the numbers support slight IU improvement this year.

I'd say its a combination of the line moving, and other factors. But, if you want to discount the numbers on defense, then you have to adjust their offense numbers too. Either way, the numbers support slight IU improvement this year.

Fair enough, I feel like we have kind of held serve from last year from an eyeball standpoint while I noticed better defense between year 1 and 2.

I trust most of us have played sports at various levels. davis laughing is obviously awful to watch. that being said, he's still a kid, and who knows how he feels. we've all been on teams where a player or two feel like they're on the outs for whatever reason and feign indifference etc. part of that is just being a kid i'm sure.
He is not a kid. He is the most senior player in the program and knows from the different levels he has played in what is expected from seniors and upper class players. Not all seniors start or play the most minutes. They should set the example of how to handle themselves on and off the court. What I saw is what I would expect of a first game freshman and to be quickly stopped by an experienced player.

I hope he hasn't checked out.

no they don't.

Going from 32 in defensive efficiency to 58 is not improvement...wtf are you guys talking about.

The actual efficiency metric slightly improved overall, but so did a bunch of other teams. So while we statistically had a better score, we still fell in rankings from 32 to 58.

Too lazy to go look at numbers but say our defensive efficiency was an 94 and it went down to 93. That is technically better. But enough teams improved even more so we got leapfrogged and fell in rankings from 32 to 58.

Reactions: T.M.P.
He is not a kid. He is the most senior player in the program and knows from the different levels he has played in what is expected from seniors and upper class players. Not all seniors start or play the most minutes. They should set the example of how to handle themselves on and off the court. What I saw is what I would expect of a first game freshman and to be quickly stopped by an experienced player.

I hope he hasn't checked out.
His body has checked out so far this season.

Play Cooper Bybee?
Yep, that will get you fired. Davis tried to do that with Suhr, and even though it really might be the best option from a basketball standpoint, the optics are bad starting walkons at IU

Yep, that will get you fired. Davis tried to do that with Suhr, and even though it really might be the best option from a basketball standpoint, the optics are bad starting walkons at IU
Who cares about optics?
It should be about winning games!
If a player is on the team, and is the best option in certain situations, then he needs to be played.
Example if all of your walk ons are excellent FT shooters and you know the opposing team will foul, then you put your top five FT shooters on the floor, including walk-ons such as Cooper Bybee.

Reactions: Radio Zero
His body has checked out so far this season.
Seeing him live, he can move quickly on defense, or at least quick for DD. He is awkward with the ball. He used to be smooth and had good footwork on offense. I have little doubt his achilles is affecting his game. He barely jumps off the floor and actually faded away on a shot against a smaller player around the basket.

If he has a use it would be as a designated screener or to play defense on an end of the half play. We can hide him in a lineup with TJD. He simply can't be on the floor with other bench players if we want anything inside.

Wrong.
Culture is made by the environment which is made up by everyone, esp the fans bc those same fans are those who fill IU, both inside and out, with the influences, ideas and view points that shape the University.
Why do you think Knight is still so GREATLY praised today\ such a big picture in IU "culture".
Bc the environment (including\esp fans) dictates so.
Identity and culture are different

if Brown went to Purdue he would come off screens to shoot the 3 like Cline did.
So you think he's a can't miss recruit but you want him to play like a career 6 ppg player?

FYI, in Indiana alone there are better athletes shooting better 3-point percentages versus better competition than Brown. Yes, yes, I know about his 93% FT shooting because you bring it up over and over but that's useless if he can't get to the line.

He's walk-on quality.

So you think he's a can't miss recruit but you want him to play like a career 6 ppg player?

FYI, in Indiana alone there are better athletes shooting better 3-point percentages versus better competition than Brown. Yes, yes, I know about his 93% FT shooting because you bring it up over and over but that's useless if he can't get to the line.

He's walk-on quality.
Maybe Archie can convince Luke Brown to come to IU as a preferred walk-on? Brown is a big IU fan, it could be his lifelong dream to be a Hoosier!

He's walk-on quality.
He's a D1 player.
IU only has a set number of scholarships.
Crean recruited Priller, Gelon, Newkirk.
All not as skilled as Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT