ADVERTISEMENT

This was unacceptable!

The FT excuse is silly...had we made 6 more to shoot at 80% as a team...we still lose by 1
This post is silly. Arkansas got 4 points from IU fouling trying to catch up. Everything else being the same except 6 more made FT, IU would-be been up 68-67 at the point they started sending Arkansas to the line at the end.

Maybe IU would-be been up 17 instead of 11 earlier in the half which could've had more of a psychological effect. Or maybe not. It just would've been a different game if they made the FTs.

You're right that it certainly wouldn't have guaranteed a win. Doesn't really matter because they did miss a bunch of FT, did lose a double digit lead in the 2nd half (again), and did lose.

Reactions: MrBing
Not like we lost to Evansville or Utah at home. Go ask UK how they feel/felt.

It’s called college basketball, shit happens

Ugly loss. But still time to make amends.

Oh c’‘mon!!!
I’ve got a suggestion for you:
Keep the “shit happens” excuse on speed dial because you will be using that one a LOT this year. Every game will be “shit happens.”

This isn’t some anomaly. This is bad coaching and bad trends in play about every game since Florida State. Only reason we beat ND is because they have no more than like 6 guys that can play. They are s triage ward.

No development. Dumb play. Terrible fundamentals.

Face the facts: the last 2 coaches IU have had were hired on the basis of a couple flukes in the NCAA tournament.

Oh c’‘mon!!!
Keep the “shit happens” excuse on speed dial because you will be using that one a LOT this year. Every game will be “shit happens.”

This isn’t some anomaly. This is bad coaching and bad trends in play about every game since Florida State. Only reason we beat ND is because they have no more than like 6 guys that can play. They are s triage ward.

Face the facts: the last 2 coaches IU have had were hired on the basis of a couple flukes in the NCAA tournament.

You feel better now. Releasing all the pent up aggression. Show me a top 10 in NCAA that hasnt lost a “shit show” game. Seriously bring it

Oh c’‘mon!!!

Settle down.. breathe. This isn’t life or death. Show me even 3 teams in current top 25 who hasn’t lost a shit show game (other than Auburn and SDSU who are undefeated. And don’t say Gonzaga cause they lost to UM team that lost 3/5 last games

Reactions: MrBing
Settle down.. breathe. This isn’t life or death. Show me even 3 teams in current top 25 who hasn’t lost a shit show game (other than Auburn and SDSU who are undefeated. And don’t say Gonzaga cause they lost to UM team that lost 3/5 last games

Question for you:

Archie has been here for 2.5 years.
What aspects are getting better?

Every team is allowed a shit show.
The difference is that this guy has had several and despite winning some of them, his teams make the same mistakes continuously..

Like I said, keep your “oh well,shit happens” excuse handy because it is happening a whole bunch this year.

The sad truth is that Archie may be worse than Crean and that is saying a lot.

Question for you:

Archie has been here for 2.5 years.
What aspects are getting better?

Every team is allowed a shit show.
The difference is that this guy has had several and despite winning some of them, his teams make the same mistakes continuously..

Like I said, keep your “oh well,shit happens” excuse handy because it is happening a whole bunch this year.

The sad truth is that Archie may be worse than Crean and that is saying a lot.

I asked you to show me a top 25 team that hasn’t lost a shit show game.

No matter last year, previous year.

In the here and now. But you can’t, and won’t, and just rip on Archie

Goto UK rivals (before they beat UL). Unbelievably there were tons of die hard KATS who were saying Calipari has lost it. Worst UK team since 2012-13 when they didn’t make the NCAA

CALIPARI IS ONE OF THE BEST COACHES/RECRUITERS EVER in recent modern NCAA basketball.

and yet, since they started 8-3, with two really bad losses at home ( way worse than ARK over IU) they are talking about firing him.

Really?

So go ahead, Fire Archie in your mind.

It’s what feeble minded people do who live and die on EVERY SINGLE GAME

I asked you to show me a top 25 team that hasn’t lost a shit show game.

No matter last year, previous year.

In the here and now. But you can’t, and won’t, and just rip on Archie

Goto UK rivals (before they beat UL). Unbelievably there were tons of die hard KATS who were saying Calipari has lost it. Worst UK team since 2012-13 when they didn’t make the NCAA

CALIPARI IS ONE OF THE BEST COACHES/RECRUITERS EVER in recent modern NCAA basketball.

and yet, since they started 8-3, with two really bad losses at home ( way worse than ARK over IU) they are talking about firing him.

Really?

So go ahead, Fire Archie in your mind.

It’s what feeble minded people do who live and die on EVERY SINGLE GAME
I won’t bother to engage on the results of today. Instead, I’d like to know if you think 2 1/2 years is enough time to infuse a program with the coach’s culture and, if so, what is that culture that Miller has created? When you or a college basketball fan or an opposing coach thinks of IU, what are their impressions? What do you see when you look at the program 2 1/2 years into Miller’s tenure? What do opposing fans, coaches and observers see? What do you think recruits see? What is the undeniable culture, the calling card of the program? And, if you can’t answer that now, when will you be able to?

I won’t bother to engage on the results of today. Instead, I’d like to know if you think 2 1/2 years is enough time to infuse a program with the coach’s culture and, if so, what is that culture that Miller has created? When you or a college basketball fan or an opposing coach thinks of IU, what are their impressions? What do you see when you look at the program 2 1/2 years into Miller’s tenure? What do opposing fans, coaches and observers see? What do you think recruits see? What is the undeniable culture, the calling card of the program? And, if you can’t answer that now, when will you be able to?

Wow... that’s a lot of Qs!!!! I couldn’t even begin to answer all those Qs in one post. I can tell you aren’t happy. You want answers I can’t possibly give in one setting. I’ve shared my opinions many times, feel free to read my past posts. Not sunshine or hater, but def more positive than negative.

Just like I was with IU football when I said 8-9 wins was possible back in September when i was called a CTA apologist (see Big Red Crimson). IU won 8 games in CTA third year.

All I can is this year is still a body of work TBD for IUBB. However I will say the culture for IUBB is pretty damn good when you have a stud like TJD, as a frosh, along with Armaan, clearly buying into CAM system. That cannot be denied.

Try not to lose anymore sleep on this.

Wow... that’s a lot of Qs!!!! I couldn’t even begin to answer all those Qs in one post. I can tell you aren’t happy. You want answers I can’t possibly give in one setting. I’ve shared my opinions many times, feel free to read my past posts. Not sunshine or hater, but def more positive than negative.

Just like I was with IU football when I said 8-9 wins was possible back in September when i was called a CTA apologist (see Big Red Crimson). IU won 8 games in CTA third year.

All I can is this year is still a body of work TBD for IUBB. However I will say the culture for IUBB is pretty damn good when you have a stud like TJD, as a frosh, along with Armaan, clearly buying into CAM system. That cannot be denied.

NO

Are you really telling people to try not to lose anymore sleep on this? You literally have the last reply to every thread on my computer screen. If anyone needs to relax it's certainly you. Go to bed. I am.

Reactions: .Gerdis

Honestly, not trolling here. But what is this CAM system you speak of? I’m not sure what we’re trying to do on offense. Please elaborate.

I know I'm not the poster you responded to, but here's my take: 2.5 years is enough time build your program identity and culture, if the players you inherit are apt to buy in to that identity and culture.

Miller didn't inherit that. His culture and identity is focused on defense. That requires consistent effort, discipline, and the ability to defend without fouling. His seniors are: a headcase hero-baller with no discipline and inconsistent effort, and a foul prone big with no lateral quickness. His juniors are: an athletic swing man with no jumper who finally bought in on D this year, and a lithe combo guard who can't handle the ball well enough to play point, and doesn't defend well. Plus, a transfer big who is limited athletically.

Given their unsuitability to Miller's style, I'd say 2.5 years isn't enough time. IU's defense, by the metrics, has improved each year, including this year, so far. We don't know where it will peak.

His offense remains a concern. The metrics on that suggest that the O has been nearly identical every year, and probably not good enough to achieve IU's stated goals. I need to see something new there. I think we know, for sure, by the end of year 4 whether he can get kids that play how he wants them to play and succeed doing it.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
You tell me. CAM culture is TJD having one of the best freshman seasons in NCAA. Dare say better than Romeo, who had zippo leadership. TJD is a leader amongst boys he plays against.

so Archie gets credit for a freshmen with energy that would have came to IU if you, Archie or crean were the coach. Got it. What happens when those kids don’t care about IU anymore. TJd might be the last one.

From now on recruits will Be born after our last sweet 16 win. That makes me wanna drink at 8am.

Reactions: BigMobe

Don't engage Ordy. He will change the question and move the goalpost regardless of what you say. He is here simply to celebrate a bad loss by IU. Offer him some lotion and a tube sock and walk away.

IU's defense, by the metrics, has improved each year, including this year, so far. We don't know where it will peak.

His offense remains a concern. The metrics on that suggest that the O has been nearly identical every year

could you please post the metrics you are referring to? My impression is that our offense is much better this year (compared to last), but that our defense is worse? Am I mistaken?

Reactions: Cavanagh
This was a bad loss for several reasons, one of which is that key recruits were at the game. The crowd was great considering no students but that fizzled second half was not something I wanted the recruits to sit through.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
We have played bad for weeks. Remember the nebraska game at home. This team is not getting better but major rebuilds take a decade I guess.
We haven’t necessarily played bad, though. We play bad at times, usually in the second half and don’t snap out of it. We get away from what’s working and when the other team gains momentum and makes 3s we try to match with a 3 and that’s not what we do well. Almost all of our 3 attempts should come when the defense collapses on Trayce and he passes it out to someone that is open, set, and ready to shoot. We gave away this game. It better be the last one.

You tell me. CAM culture is TJD having one of the best freshman seasons in NCAA. Dare say better than Romeo, who had zippo leadership. TJD is a leader amongst boys he plays against.

guess that’s my point... that’s certainly not a “system”

One of the things that was apparent to me was that Arkansas really knows how to space the floor to play their offensive sets and we don't. You saw Arkansas set some one man picks for their outside shooters, but you saw their other players maintaining 10-15 distances from the ball with floor balance forcing us to defend and not be able to double team or jam up their Offense.

On the other hand our Offense is too congested with players dribbling into traffic with so little spacing that it only takes two defenders to defend three players because there is no space or angle to get the ball to those players.

I know I'm not the poster you responded to, but here's my take: 2.5 years is enough time build your program identity and culture, if the players you inherit are apt to buy in to that identity and culture.

Miller didn't inherit that. His culture and identity is focused on defense. That requires consistent effort, discipline, and the ability to defend without fouling. His seniors are: a headcase hero-baller with no discipline and inconsistent effort, and a foul prone big with no lateral quickness. His juniors are: an athletic swing man with no jumper who finally bought in on D this year, and a lithe combo guard who can't handle the ball well enough to play point, and doesn't defend well. Plus, a transfer big who is limited athletically.

Given their unsuitability to Miller's style, I'd say 2.5 years isn't enough time. IU's defense, by the metrics, has improved each year, including this year, so far. We don't know where it will peak.

His offense remains a concern. The metrics on that suggest that the O has been nearly identical every year, and probably not good enough to achieve IU's stated goals. I need to see something new there. I think we know, for sure, by the end of year 4 whether he can get kids that play how he wants them to play and succeed doing it.

Ya, your making things up. IUs d was 32 last year and 58th this year according to “metrics”. That is almost 100% worse.

This post is silly. Arkansas got 4 points from IU fouling trying to catch up. Everything else being the same except 6 more made FT, IU would-be been up 68-67 at the point they started sending Arkansas to the line at the end.

Maybe IU would-be been up 17 instead of 11 earlier in the half which could've had more of a psychological effect. Or maybe not. It just would've been a different game if they made the FTs.

You're right that it certainly wouldn't have guaranteed a win. Doesn't really matter because they did miss a bunch of FT, did lose a double digit lead in the 2nd half (again), and did lose.

I think the missed FT's are just smptomatic of the real problem: confidence. The Confidence to knock down FTs, good open 3s (this team doesn't have good enough shooters to take any other kind), and the confidence to get after and own loose balls and rebounds. I thought AR, despite being smaller, had that confidence and we didn't, except for TJD. At this point, he's my hope to rally around.

You flip flopped the metrics if you’re using Kenpom. The offensive metrics have improved , which is impressive considering we still can’t shoot 3s. The defensive metrics have dropped to 58th (32nd last year).

Last edited:
could you please post the metrics you are referring to? My impression is that our offense is much better this year (compared to last), but that our defense is worse? Am I mistaken?
Our kenpom o-rating has been at 109 both years prior, and is again this year. The d-rating has fallen each year...from maybe 98 to 95 to 93 this year.

I am going off memory, might be off by a point or two...

3 years of basically the same crap from CAM.

He decided to go after Smith, Durham, and Cliff Moore. He decided to screw around with DG for 3 years when he could have suggested to DG that his culture and identity and that of DG did not coincide. He decided not to actively pursue a grad baseline shooter when there were many available. Instead we are left with DG driving the lane late and dishing to a guy who should not have even been in the game, instead of taking a gimme 2. We play like a bad PSU or Nebraska team of the past. Stupid-ass decision after stupid-ass decision, then afterwards another "s*** happens, we have to flush it" PC.

Correct. It's right next to the rank.

Gotcha, I am not sure but I think that is because we have only played about 5 games so far (real opponents) If we had PUs schedule I would guess that number would be way worse. I would gladly bet you that that number is worse than it is right now at the end of the season. Hell I will bet you it is worse than last years.

Gotcha, I am not sure but I think that is because we have only played about 5 games so far (real opponents) If we had PUs schedule I would guess that number would be way worse. I would gladly bet you that that number is worse than it is right now at the end of the season. Hell I will bet you it is worse than last years.
That number is adjusted for strength of schedule, so that argument isn't valid.

Our numbers might get better, they might get worse. You haven't offered anything that would suggest you have special insight. You've twice mischaracterized the kenpom data, and falsely accused me of making stuff up, just today. Maybe try asking some questions instead of drawing nonsensical conclusions from data you don't understand.

Oh c’‘mon!!!

Couldn't agree more. Butler makes much better coach hirings than IU. That's where we are as 2019 comes to a close. Anyone arguing otherwise is simply stuck in 1987.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU

Not having the right players for his system is CAM's fault. No way around that fact.

Our kenpom o-rating has been at 109 both years prior, and is again this year. The d-rating has fallen each year...from maybe 98 to 95 to 93 this year.

I am going off memory, might be off by a point or two...

ok, so after looking at https://kenpom.com/index.php

this season Adj D is 93.2 (58th), and last year 95.4 (32nd). So, our efficiency currently is 1.8 points better than where we ended up last year, and our ranking has slipped by 26 spots?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT