ADVERTISEMENT

This was pu’s one and only shot at a title

Uconn proves you dont need a bunch of five stars to win but they just play the game on a whole differenet level than the big ten does.
They may not of had a bunch of 5 stars out of HS, but at least 3 of those will be in the league. Purdue has one. I’m willing to bet Clingon has a better nba career than Edey. He’s only a sophomore and has a lot growing to do with his game, plus he’s a better athlete.

He was good at Rutgers. I think he always led them in assists and a good shooter and scorer. He's also great at drawing fouls.
the UConn starting lineup was a perfect fit for him. My brother texted me during 2nd half last night and asked me how the hell UConn actually lost 3 games this year. They looked invincible.

Your logic works out on Painter, but you are acting like getting more NBA players is simply a roster construction adjustment. NBA (good) players don’t want to play for Painter. For 19 years, he has proven that.
Oh I know...just saying that I think for him to break through and win one, he's going to need to have one or two of them. Colvin and Catchings both have that potential. And maybe that's the only way he'll have that level of player, to have a 50-100 guy develop into an NBA guy, like Ivey did. But Castle was ALWAYS going to be that guy, and that's the fundamental problem with either not being able to attract those types of kids, or not actively trying to get them. Relying on kids to develop is a game of chance, and it limits how many FF caliber teams you can field, while waiting for the kids to develop. Having a core group of really damn good older players, and complementing them with obvious, early entry NBA level talent, is how you win Natty's nowadays.

Purdue will likely have the really good core group, most years. To win a Natty, they need an NBA level stud or two as well.

They're only 4-5 years removed from a team, without Edey, that played a very different style, that was less than a second away from going to a Final Four themselves.

What makes you so sure Painter won't get a different group to the edge like that again? If he does it a few more times, one of them is bound to break through. He's coached them 19 years, and has developed at least 3 different "cores" in to teams that were final four competitive. He's still fairly young, if he has 10+ years left, I bet he has a couple more "cores" that put themselves in position to break through.

Is Purdue likely to become "Uconn like", no. As proud as they are of their recruiting philosophies, not being able to attract nationally rated guys, like Stephon Castle as an example, regularly, is going to limit how many teams he'll have that can legitimately compete for titles. But he'll get a few more to that point, I'm sure.
I don't know how different they've been. They've always had a post-focused big man. Edey was just bigger, stronger and better than anyone they'd ever had, but they had Williams (who I thought was an under-rated player), Haarms, Swanigan and Haas, so he's always had a post-centric 5. He's got Berg on the bench and another 7'2" guy next year, so it's not changing!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
They may not of had a bunch of 5 stars out of HS, but at least 3 of those will be in the league. Purdue has one. I’m willing to bet Clingon has a better nba career than Edey. He’s only a sophomore and has a lot growing to do with his game, plus he’s a better athlete.
Yeah, I think saying UConn proves you don't need 5 starts is misleading. Think it was his halftime interview, but he said "we want NBA talent that plays smart and wants to play at UConn". I'm paraphrasing, but it was clearly a recruiting blurb aimed at the top players. And, if he only has 1 5* now, he's got at least 4 other four star kids, so not like he's not getting talent. And, now he's going to get even more, and that's what he wants.

Oh I know...just saying that I think for him to break through and win one, he's going to need to have one or two of them. Colvin and Catchings both have that potential. And maybe that's the only way he'll have that level of player, to have a 50-100 guy develop into an NBA guy, like Ivey did. But Castle was ALWAYS going to be that guy, and that's the fundamental problem with either not being able to attract those types of kids, or not actively trying to get them. Relying on kids to develop is a game of chance, and it limits how many FF caliber teams you can field, while waiting for the kids to develop. Having a core group of really damn good older players, and complementing them with obvious, early entry NBA level talent, is how you win Natty's nowadays.

Purdue will likely have the really good core group, most years. To win a Natty, they need an NBA level stud or two as well.
If those guys develop into NBA guys, they will transfer to bigger programs.

the UConn starting lineup was a perfect fit for him. My brother texted me during 2nd half last night and asked me how the hell UConn actually lost 3 games this year. They looked invincible.
They had virtually a new team from last years. It took them awhile to gel. Last night’s team was certainly not the one IU faced in early December.

Don't think they got embarrassed. They played a really solid 1st half.

UConn just one of the most dominant teams you'll ever see. Zero weakness at every position and incredibly well coached.
Agree. I only recall one bad shot by UConn when Karaban launched one early in the shot clock from about 28 feet out. I do not remember any really bad turnovers.

it was hard for Purdue to match up on the perimeter. I just thought UConn's length really made it difficult for Purdue to move the ball around and get looks for the shooters.

It kind of reminded me of Shaq getting 36 in his final game against IU, but his team losing by like 10 points.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Painter has built several Final Four quality teams over the last 15-17 years, so they aren’t going away. They have been very good for 10 years.

But this was a very unique team with Lurch that they likely won’t replicate. Huge bullet dodged and big whiff from PU. That’s great.

I think UCONN has a bunch of 5 stars. Spencer may not, but that to me (and how PU did it) is the protocol to follow: develop your players and your team and then augment through the portal for a specific need, as they did with Spencer. If you listen to Hurley after the game, his vision is to get the best talent, but guys that want to be there and be a part of it and that are smart.
No sir. Castle is the only 5* hurly has gotten. Hes developed guys and used the portal well.

Believe me, I don't want it to happen...but he's been there 19 years, and has probably had 5-6 seasons where they were legitimate natty contenders...roughly 1 out of his 3/4 teams have been good enough.

He's going to have to branch out, a little bit anyways, and get more "Jaden Ivey" type kids. I'd watch out for them when Smith and TKR are seniors...those two combined with a few guys that are size and athleticism wise more nationally elite in Colvin, Heide, and Catchings... If Painter improves his roster in the next couple years with any more NBA level guys...their 2026 team likely will be FF competitive.
Not buying it…. We shall see

Painter needs to change his defensive approach as well. Never been a great defensive coach and it really shows in game like this. I don't get why people think he is good in that area. His teams are always ranked in the 50-60 range for defense. This they were ranked #62. UCONN #7.

I did not see any 2nd half evidence that PU had studied the tape of those three games.

Painter needs to change his defensive approach as well. Never been a great defensive coach and it really shows in game like this. I don't get why people think he is good in that area. His teams are always ranked in the 50-60 range for defense. This they were ranked #62. UCONN #7.
Early on in his Purdue tenure they played a "no reversal" type defense, similar to Drew's good Baylor teams recently. I don't know why he went away from that...but his Baby Boilers teams were really, really good defensively.

I remember lamenting about them playing "football" style defense for years. It was really a very overt, and physical attempt to keep teams from reversing the ball once a side was chosen, either through dribbling or passing.

not much CMP could have done last night. They were totally outmatched on the perimeter.

This Purdue team was built to with B1G championships.
But...this UConn team was built to win NCAA championships.

Long, Athletic guards and wings. We learned that against Cuse in 2013.

Reactions: ufo33
well, then he has a truckload of 4 stars. I think it was at his halftime interview he said they want NBA caliber players, but players who are smart and want to be a part of UConn bball. It's not earth shattering, but he seems to recognize you need smart ballplayers who want to be a part of your program and then get the best guys you can. I think both schools had guys who wanted to be a part of their program, but UConn had better athletes basically at every position (it's close, but I think Clingan is a better athlete than Edey; Edey's just bigger and stronger). The Dukes and UK's have focused on just getting the highest rated guys. Hurley wants highly rated guys, but ones who know how to play and want to be at UConn. Seems to make a difference!

Per 247 HS rankings

Newton (unranked) 5th yr Sr transfer from East Carolina

Spencer (unranked) 5th yr Sr started at Loyola.. Transfer to Rutgers then transfered again to uconn

Karaban (118) So.

Clingan (73) So.

Castle (9). Fr.

FWIW....IU had a better starting 5 based upon HS rankings.

Agree. I only recall one bad shot by UConn when Karaban launched one early in the shot clock from about 28 feet out. I do not remember any really bad turnovers.

it was hard for Purdue to match up on the perimeter. I just thought UConn's length really made it difficult for Purdue to move the ball around and get looks for the shooters.

It kind of reminded me of Shaq getting 36 in his final game against IU, but his team losing by like 10 points.
I think Shaq went something like 12-12 from the line that game. I don't think he has ever done that again.

We need to go back to that rule. Stop the madness NCAA!
it really has turned into a disaster.
I'm ok with not having to sit a year, but players with multiple transfers are abusing the system. That little prick who was the AZ point guard last year (Kerr something?) went to WV this year and is already back in the portal again 9 months later.
And obviously, national letters of intent are meaningless now. Are other programs still throwing NIL promises at players after they've signed their NLI? I suspect the poaching aspect is much worse than we are hearing.

it really has turned into a disaster.
I'm ok with not having to sit a year, but players with multiple transfers are abusing the system. That little prick who was the AZ point guard last year (Kerr something?) went to WV this year and is already back in the portal again 9 months later.
And obviously, national letters of intent are meaningless now. Are other programs still throwing NIL promises at players after they've signed their NLI? I suspect the poaching aspect is much worse than we are hearing.
I have wondered if McNeeley was wooed away from IU by another specific school. Ok, I was thinking Kansas, but that might not be right.

Per 247 HS rankings

Newton (unranked) 5th yr Sr transfer from East Carolina

Spencer (unranked) 5th yr Sr started at Loyola.. Transfer to Rutgers then transfered again to uconn

Karaban (118) So.

Clingan (73) So.

Castle (9). Fr.

FWIW....IU had a better starting 5 based upon HS rankings.
I looked at Rivals and they had Clingan 39 and Hassan Diarra 4 star xfer from Tx A&M I think and Soloman Ball 4 star backup . Again, they're not Duke, UK, UNC or KU but they'd be in the next group of teams in terms of talent. Plus, with 5th year transfers the ratings are basically out of the window by then and you know what you've got. Cam Spencer was super valuable and played a terrific role for them.

Reactions: dr.jb
I looked at Rivals and they had Clingan 39 and Hassan Diarra 4 star xfer from Tx A&M I think and Soloman Ball 4 star backup . Again, they're not Duke, UK, UNC or KU but they'd be in the next group of teams in terms of talent. Plus, with 5th year transfers the ratings are basically out of the window by then and you know what you've got. Cam Spencer was super valuable and played a terrific role for them.
Just take the L bro. 😉🤣

• Haha
Don't think they got embarrassed. They played a really solid 1st half.

UConn just one of the most dominant teams you'll ever see. Zero weakness at every position and incredibly well coached.
pu and edey were gassed early in the 2nd half

uconn just wore them down

talent+depth+coaching

we have a loooong way to go

Eh. As much as I hate to say it, Purdue will be fine. Painter has a good core returning and a very good recruiting class coming. Not sure when they will be at national title contender level again but they will be. Probably will be contending for the BIG again next year.
Purdue will be back to being good, but never great. B1G Season Champs is their Super Bowl that they have actually achieved. It’s Purdue’s ceiling. That was the last shot pu will have at winning in my lifetime. The Zach Edey experience is over.

pu and edey were gassed early in the 2nd half

uconn just wore them down

talent+depth+coaching

we have a loooong way to go
A big part of that too is the pressure that UConn puts on your the entire game, not just by defending you hard. Their offense keeps everyone moving and to me seemed to have 3 levels: 1) spread the floor and try and free a shooter, 2) get the ball inside, and then 3) run little curls off downscreens and baseline cuts to the high post for floaters or drives. It kept all the PU players working hard at both ends and I think contributed to their exhaustion, mentally and physically. I'd love to hear Loyer, Smith and TKR describe how hard they worked on D last night vs a "typical" game where their guy might be floating in the corner or away from the action.

Reactions: dr.jb
Purdue will be back to being good, but never great. B1G Season Champs is their Super Bowl that they have actually achieved. It’s Purdue’s ceiling. That was the last shot pu will have at winning in my lifetime. The Zach Edey experience is over.
Your not really sick are you, if your life is to be that short! Purdue just played in the NCAA finals, ran away with two straight BT titles, has a top 12 recruiting class coming in,
has a coach that has about 15 years until retirement, while IU has a coach on Social Security, are out trying to buy a team (remember when everyone wanted to play for old IU) because high school recruits don't want to play for an old buzzard! RELAX, Purdue will be fine, expect them to be back and competing at a high level. IU just got pushed out of the top 10 in NCAA victories, Purdue is now in the top 10.

It probably was but i cannot think of any big ten team who will have a shot anytime soon unless we change the way we play the game. Purdue only had a shot cause of a once in a generation player.
I'm typically not a betting man, but I think I'd put 10 bucks down to bet that if you typed the words "Jaden Ivey" and "once in a generation player" into the search bar, you'd get a thread or two where someone uttered those words here.

Heck, Purdue has had a player on the All-American list (1st through 3rd) for 6 of the last 8 years.

Your not really sick are you, if your life is to be that short! Purdue just played in the NCAA finals, ran away with two straight BT titles, has a top 12 recruiting class coming in,
has a coach that has about 15 years until retirement, while IU has a coach on Social Security, are out trying to buy a team (remember when everyone wanted to play for old IU) because high school recruits don't want to play for an old buzzard! RELAX, Purdue will be fine, expect them to be back and competing at a high level. IU just got pushed out of the top 10 in NCAA victories, Purdue is now in the top 10.
IU 5
pu 0
The only score that counts
1 winner
Everyone else is a loser
There are no participation trophies
pu remains winless

Reactions: indiana ed
Until February Clingon was a teenager who still doesn’t shave.

pu has still never won.
pu lost with pu’s best ever player and best ever team.

A lot of these posts have only a nodding aquaintance with reality. If you look at the very early rankings of teams published for next year, you will find that Purdue is ranked in the Top 10 in almost all; the lowest that I saw had them 13th. With the recognition that early estimates can be wrong, it is not wild speculation to think that a Top 10 team has a real chance to get to a Final Four.

A lot of these posts have only a nodding aquaintance with reality. If you look at the very early rankings of teams published for next year, you will find that Purdue is ranked in the Top 10 in almost all; the lowest that I saw had them 13th. With the recognition that early estimates can be wrong, it is not wild speculation to think that a Top 10 team has a real chance to get to a Final Four.
Do you think Smith, Loyer, and Kaufman is a Final Four team?

So all of those "too early top 25" things last year had Michigan State 3rd or 4th. Marquette was 1st or 2nd in several of them. Kansas, same. So yeah, it's wild speculation.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is surprising as hell. What's your reason for optimism? I frankly am not sure you're a tournament team this year without Edey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT