ADVERTISEMENT

This was pu’s one and only shot at a title

Don't think they got embarrassed. They played a really solid 1st half.

UConn just one of the most dominant teams you'll ever see. Zero weakness at every position and incredibly well coached.
And PU supporting cast sucks

Their hopes were unreasonably high considering the 2 Sophomore guards. They're embarrassed and justifiably so.
A generational player (I guess) can hide a lot of weaknesses on a roster. We’ll get a true look at Matt Painter’s Post-NIL, Post Portal era master plan starting next year. One thing is for sure: He’s definitely got a recognizable plan.

A generational player (I guess) can hide a lot of weaknesses on a roster. We’ll get a true look at Matt Painter’s Post-NIL, Post Portal era master plan starting next year. One thing is for sure: He’s definitely got a recognizable plan.
he has done pretty well without edey so i am sure they will still be very good. I like painter he is a good guy he just coaches the wrong team

Uconn proves you dont need a bunch of five stars to win but they just play the game on a whole differenet level than the big ten does.
I think UCONN has a bunch of 5 stars. Spencer may not, but that to me (and how PU did it) is the protocol to follow: develop your players and your team and then augment through the portal for a specific need, as they did with Spencer. If you listen to Hurley after the game, his vision is to get the best talent, but guys that want to be there and be a part of it and that are smart.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Agreed, they will not have another shot at a title. NIL and transfer portal is reshaping college basketball as we speak, and Purdue is positioned poorly to succeed in the new environment.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Uconn has 7 guys in top 100 recruiting ranking, but Karaban, Spencer and Newton were not, which makes it an interesting blend.
Last year before Spencer left Rutgers I was thinking he might end up in the NBA, but at this point he has justified the new NIL model where everyone cashes out once they have some stats and then they all try to "move up".
Unless you have a coach that breaks the mold, the NIL takes loyalty and commitment and turns it on its head.

I think UCONN has a bunch of 5 stars. Spencer may not, but that to me (and how PU did it) is the protocol to follow: develop your players and your team and then augment through the portal for a specific need, as they did with Spencer. If you listen to Hurley after the game, his vision is to get the best talent, but guys that want to be there and be a part of it and that are smart.

Would need to check but think think only have one 5 star. The freshman guard. Two of their starters were transfers.

Uconn has 7 guys in top 100 recruiting ranking, but Karaban, Spencer and Newton were not, which makes it an interesting blend.
Last year before Spencer left Rutgers I was thinking he might end up in the NBA, but at this point he has justified the new NIL model where everyone cashes out once they have some stats and then they all try to "move up".
Unless you have a coach that breaks the mold, the NIL takes loyalty and commitment and turns it on its head.
“but Karaban, Spencer and Newton were not, which makes it an interesting blend.”

This kinda reminds me of Keith Smart and Dean Garrett.

My memory may be fading, but weren’t these two transfers into Knights team, that ultimately won the ‘87 Championship?

Good example of players that helped.

Reactions: IUINSB
They're only 4-5 years removed from a team, without Edey, that played a very different style, that was less than a second away from going to a Final Four themselves.

What makes you so sure Painter won't get a different group to the edge like that again? If he does it a few more times, one of them is bound to break through. He's coached them 19 years, and has developed at least 3 different "cores" in to teams that were final four competitive. He's still fairly young, if he has 10+ years left, I bet he has a couple more "cores" that put themselves in position to break through.

Is Purdue likely to become "Uconn like", no. As proud as they are of their recruiting philosophies, not being able to attract nationally rated guys, like Stephon Castle as an example, regularly, is going to limit how many teams he'll have that can legitimately compete for titles. But he'll get a few more to that point, I'm sure.

They're only 4-5 years removed from a team, without Edey, that played a very different style, that was less than a second away from going to a Final Four themselves.

What makes you so sure Painter won't get a different group to the edge like that again? If he does it a few more times, one of them is bound to break through. He's coached them 19 years, and has developed at least 3 different "cores" in to teams that were final four competitive. He's still fairly young, if he has 10+ years left, I bet he has a couple more "cores" that put themselves in position to break through.

Is Purdue likely to become "Uconn like", no. As proud as they are of their recruiting philosophies, not being able to attract nationally rated guys, like Stephon Castle as an example, regularly, is going to limit how many teams he'll have that can legitimately compete for titles. But he'll get a few more to that point, I'm sure.
The Cubbies finally broke through, so I guess there is still always hope for the Purdue fans. 😂

Would need to check but think think only have one 5 star. The freshman guard. Two of their starters were transfers.
well, then he has a truckload of 4 stars. I think it was at his halftime interview he said they want NBA caliber players, but players who are smart and want to be a part of UConn bball. It's not earth shattering, but he seems to recognize you need smart ballplayers who want to be a part of your program and then get the best guys you can. I think both schools had guys who wanted to be a part of their program, but UConn had better athletes basically at every position (it's close, but I think Clingan is a better athlete than Edey; Edey's just bigger and stronger). The Dukes and UK's have focused on just getting the highest rated guys. Hurley wants highly rated guys, but ones who know how to play and want to be at UConn. Seems to make a difference!

Spencer was great. I literally don't remember him at Rutgers. Did he play against us?

The Cubbies finally broke through, so I guess there is still always hope for the Purdue fans. 😂
Believe me, I don't want it to happen...but he's been there 19 years, and has probably had 5-6 seasons where they were legitimate natty contenders...roughly 1 out of his 3/4 teams have been good enough.

He's going to have to branch out, a little bit anyways, and get more "Jaden Ivey" type kids. I'd watch out for them when Smith and TKR are seniors...those two combined with a few guys that are size and athleticism wise more nationally elite in Colvin, Heide, and Catchings... If Painter improves his roster in the next couple years with any more NBA level guys...their 2026 team likely will be FF competitive.

well, then he has a truckload of 4 stars. I think it was at his halftime interview he said they want NBA caliber players, but players who are smart and want to be a part of UConn bball. It's not earth shattering, but he seems to recognize you need smart ballplayers who want to be a part of your program and then get the best guys you can. I think both schools had guys who wanted to be a part of their program, but UConn had better athletes basically at every position (it's close, but I think Clingan is a better athlete than Edey; Edey's just bigger and stronger). The Dukes and UK's have focused on just getting the highest rated guys. Hurley wants highly rated guys, but ones who know how to play and want to be at UConn. Seems to make a difference!
You could see the strategy last night. Hurley wanted to show down the 3 for PU and limit the other players. Edey looked pretty tired in the second half. He scored after it was pretty settled. I also noticed that Smith looked tired in the second half. Newton was riding him up the court and that had an impact. Newton was very good btw.

Believe me, I don't want it to happen...but he's been there 19 years, and has probably had 5-6 seasons where they were legitimate natty contenders...roughly 1 out of his 3/4 teams have been good enough.

He's going to have to branch out, a little bit anyways, and get more "Jaden Ivey" type kids. I'd watch out for them when Smith and TKR are seniors...those two combined with a few guys that are size and athleticism wise more nationally elite in Colvin, Heide, and Catchings... If Painter improves his roster in the next couple years with any more NBA level guys...their 2026 team likely will be FF competitive.
Your logic works out on Painter, but you are acting like getting more NBA players is simply a roster construction adjustment. NBA (good) players don’t want to play for Painter. For 19 years, he has proven that.

“but Karaban, Spencer and Newton were not, which makes it an interesting blend.”

This kinda reminds me of Keith Smart and Dean Garrett.

My memory may be fading, but weren’t these two transfers into Knights team, that ultimately won the ‘87 Championship?

Good example of players that helped.
Smart and Garrett were Juco txfs...came with 2 yrs eligibility left.

Reactions: Tscurlo
Spencer was great. I literally don't remember him at Rutgers. Did he play against us?
He was good at Rutgers. I think he always led them in assists and a good shooter and scorer. He's also great at drawing fouls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT