ADVERTISEMENT

This Team Just Isn’t Very Good

Agreed. Terrible coaching too. Reneau played well but is a fouling machine.

The list is long for reasons why. Primarily roster construction.

Have a team with talented bigs and put zero shooters around them. Having an IU team in the state known for kids being able to shoot is pretty laughable.
The talent evaluation and execution by this staff in the portal was horrible. It was on this board all summer. Recruit 5 stars not guys that played hard. Don't bring in a volume scorer. Ran Bates out and didn't improve. Lucky they got Mgbako at last minute. Do we have a basketball GM who evaluates portal players like football? We need one.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Thought they’d lose 12-13 before the season started. Easily a 15 loss squad.

It's bad recruiting and coaching.

This team with 2 three point threats and just an above average coach would be a top 25 team.

Coach Woodson is in over his head. He Is terrible at roster management. He Would rather have a team of 5 stars who all essentially have the same weaknesses than have a balanced team. For whatever reason he has decided to not coach defense. These guys played better defense in high school than they do now. They wouldn't have been 4/5 stars if they didn't.

If he somehow doesn't get fired he needs to overhaul his coaching style. big time.

Have a team with talented bigs and put zero shooters around them. Having an IU team in the state known for kids being able to shoot is pretty laughable.

It's not but we took the #10 team, on its home court, after a loss, without Ware, with Malik fouling out, and zero made 3's to the wire. Not good enough, I know, but progress. May be a little too late but I don't hear Lizzo singing yet.

It's not but we took the #10 team, on its home court, after a loss, without Ware, with Malik fouling out, and zero made 3's to the wire. Not good enough, I know, but progress. May be a little too late but I don't hear Lizzo singing yet.
You are deaf then.

I disagree that this team has zero shooters. I think MM is a shooter and could probably hit a fair number of threes. I don't think Woodson does a particularly good job of putting him into good positions to get open three, though. But there's no question that he can shoot.

When is the last time that Woody ran MM off of screens? For example, how about running that in-bound curl play that he ran for Gunn on the inbound for MM? Of course, Gunn missed the shot, but why not for MM? It boggles the mind why more things aren't being run to take advantage of MM's shooting ability on a time with so few shooters...

Reactions: CG Paul and bdhman
Yep! I hope IU loses out to rid themselves of this cancer
Calling Mike Woodson, a guy who bleeds cream and crimson, a cancer is f-cking ridiculous. He does more for the university before noon each day than you have your entire life. Chill out with that bullsh-t.

Terrible college coach though? Yes. Does IU need to move on regardless of how the season finishes out? Absolutely.

This team is getting better, but time is running out (maybe already has). With a healthy Ware, hitting 75% of free throws, and 3 or 4 threes a game, IU can beat any team in the B10 except PU (just no answer for Edey). Had Woody recruited 1 or 2 shooters this would easily be a March Madness team.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
Any reason why Sparks didn't play at all? I thought that was surprising. I know IL is very athletic but I thought he might have been able to help.

It's sad, but our play just gives the other team so many chances to beat us... eventually they will! Give away pts at the 3 pt line, at the FT line, missed layups, on offensive rebounds, steals... I don't know how we kept it as close as we did.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticArisen
This team is getting better, but time is running out (maybe already has). With a healthy Ware, hitting 75% of free throws, and 3 or 4 threes a game, IU can beat any team in the B10 except PU (just no answer for Edey). Had Woody recruited 1 or 2 shooters this would easily be a March Madness team.
I don't think they are getting better.
If they don't beat Iowa in the next game they will be 2-for-January, matching the 2019 (Romeo) team and the 2011 (Jeremiah Rivers) teams. The best thing about those teams was returning most of the team the following year and in each case (Zeller, TJD) picking up stud players the following season.

This team is more like the 2014 team (Vonleh) that lost talent to the NBA despite not being very good, and then ending up not so good the following year either.

Reactions: edub72
LoL at those saying Gunn was all IU needed after landing none in the portal. CJ would get run at Ball State and Banks at Kennesaw State.
Heck some posters said we did not need a portal guard cause gunn was going to play a major role. The problem is it was based on nothing at all. And you were called a hater by questioning it.

68...That's hard to imagine Indiana isn't one of 68..
Indiana should be a top 4 seed every yr.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
It is surprising to me that so many posters seem surprised by the result. Did they expect this to be a win? I thought we played slightly better than expected and showed the highest intensity beginning to end of any game this year. There is a sizable difference between what we are and what we want or think they should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ams66 and Vern Pain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT