ADVERTISEMENT

This guy asked Romeo where he was going and this is what he did

I guess I worded this wrong. The person that is close with the NA staff, what is exactly is being heard? In other words, is there something Archie is saying or doing that made Romeo change his mind? I'd buy it more if I had a better understanding of when/why Romeo flipped.
Flipped? He's never said he was going to Vandy. The word was it is between Vandy and IU. I'm having a tough time believing that an Indiana Mr. Basketball would even consider Vandy without any basketball tradition at all over IU with basketball tradition more than most schools in the country. I'm betting on IU.

Yes, the dude at 0:25 needs to check himself.

This is what I'm kind of afraid of as it relates to RL.

Everybody loves attention, but not everybody likes ATTENTION, such as would come for him playing at IU. He'll get plenty of attention from being a 5* and a likely one-and-done playing at a place like Vandy. Basically it would be like hanging out with his buddies for a year. Then he goes to the NBA and gets more attention and plenty of $.

I get the feeling that the only way he chooses Vandy, with all due respect to our Vandy trolls, is if he wants to get away and have as normal a life as possible for 1 year. As a pure basketball decision between IU & Vandy (only), and AM & Drew, it seems pretty clear cut. And the family's chance to easily see eveyr game would appear to be a huge IU advantage.

Everybody loves attention, but not everybody likes ATTENTION, such as would come for him playing at IU. He'll get plenty of attention from being a 5* and a likely one-and-done playing at a place like Vandy. Basically it would be like hanging out with his buddies for a year. Then he goes to the NBA and gets more attention and plenty of $.

I get the feeling that the only way he chooses Vandy, with all due respect to our Vandy trolls, is if he wants to get away and have as normal a life as possible for 1 year. As a pure basketball decision between IU & Vandy (only), and AM & Drew, it seems pretty clear cut. And the family's chance to easily see eveyr game would appear to be a huge IU advantage.

All he has to do is commit to Vandy or Kansas and the lines and attention will dramatically decline.

Figured this was common knowledge, but perhaps not (outside of the SEC footprint)... but re: announcing in Atlanta - IMO that would have zero correlation to picking Vanderbilt.

I live in Nashville and Vandy has literally zero juice in the league or region in any sport. Vanderbilt is an SEC school in name only and only truly remain so because they were a founding member. Romeo picking Vandy is no different than if he were to pick Rice. Vanderbilt has a very small alumni base - the largest concentration of which is in Nashville yes, but their graduates are spread out all over the world.

Vanderbilt athletics is about the 5th or 6th most popular sports attraction in the city. Basketball fan base is an aging one that still gets cheered out of their own gym by Tennessee and Kentucky fans every year. Football fanbase = LOL

If he just loves Nashville and SEC country he'd be better off picking Belmont (honestly). Likely hall of fame coach and I think they have the same number of current NBA players as Vanderbilt at this point. They go the tournament much more often (every year basically)

I am a subscriber on Peegs and there are about 3 other guys that posted on there tonight saying they are hearing Romeo to IU and one of them had someone close to NA staff text them that it was IU. Don’t quote me on that but that is what is being posted tonight.

Actually here is the quoted post word for word

Romeo is coming, I received a text from someone that would know, someone involved with NA hoops, someone that previously told me he was leaning toward Vandy
You can speculate all you want but he will be a Hoosier
Hope so, but watched a local announcement here in SC where most, including ESPN reporting hours before his announcement, that Zion Williams was going to Clemson. Only those that disagreed stated it would be UNC from all their sources, only to see him pick Duke (surprised everyone).

Flipped? He's never said he was going to Vandy. The word was it is between Vandy and IU. I'm having a tough time believing that an Indiana Mr. Basketball would even consider Vandy without any basketball tradition at all over IU with basketball tradition more than most schools in the country. I'm betting on IU.

It is the "source close to NA basketball" referenced in the tweet that "flipped".The whole point of the peegster's post was that he had originally been told "Vandy" in Nov/Dec,but the same source just texted him and said IU...

Reactions: MrBing
Figured this was common knowledge, but perhaps not (outside of the SEC footprint)... but re: announcing in Atlanta - IMO that would have zero correlation to picking Vanderbilt.

I live in Nashville and Vandy has literally zero juice in the league or region in any sport. Vanderbilt is an SEC school in name only and only truly remain so because they were a founding member. Romeo picking Vandy is no different than if he were to pick Rice. Vanderbilt has a very small alumni base - the largest concentration of which is in Nashville yes, but their graduates are spread out all over the world.

Vanderbilt athletics is about the 5th or 6th most popular sports attraction in the city. Basketball fan base is an aging one that still gets cheered out of their own gym by Tennessee and Kentucky fans every year. Football fanbase = LOL

If he just loves Nashville and SEC country he'd be better off picking Belmont (honestly). Likely hall of fame coach and I think they have the same number of current NBA players as Vanderbilt at this point. They go the tournament much more often (every year basically)
To be fair we really haven’t had any more success than Vandy since 2002. And Romeo was in diapers in 2002.

The only thing Romeo knew about IUBB until recently was Tommy Basketball. Not exactly a great image. The clapper might be gone but he’ll haunt our brand for a long time.

And it’s still not as much attention Bailey got.

I still remember BNL making room for helicopters to land close to the high school for news crews to cover his games.

Reactions: kkott
To be fair we really haven’t had any more success than Vandy since 2002. And Romeo was in diapers in 2002.

The only thing Romeo knew about IUBB until recently was Tommy Basketball. Not exactly a great image. The clapper might be gone but he’ll haunt our brand for a long time.

Nobody hates Crean more than me.

I wanted to stop the sentence there to emphasize it. But, Langford knows all about the tradition and history of IU basketball. He's not going to base his entire perception of Indiana on a former idiot of a coach. Archie is going to make him a distant past in the very near future. Our brand will be just fine.

Here is a hyperbole that would make our President proud!

Reactions: IUPaterade724

I wanted to stop the sentence there to emphasize it. But, Langford knows all about the tradition and history of IU basketball. He's not going to base his entire perception of Indiana on a former idiot of a coach. Archie is going to make him a distant past in the very near future. Our brand will be just fine.
this is correct.

I suppose that's debatable, but I would say IU - even with some tough stretches and over the last 15 years - has enjoyed more success than Vanderbilt. Stallings had some good teams but was dreadful coming down the stretch every year and perennially went one and done in tourney. At minimum, Indiana basketball is a far stronger brand w/much greater appeal than Vanderbilt.

I grew up in Indiana on IU basketball, but went to Univ. of Tenn for college so have some insight into both IU and SEC basketball - and the lay of the land for each.

I guess I was really offering more of the perspective on where he announces as it relates to who he picks - given posts ITT that tied Atlanta to picking Vanderbilt. There is no announcement location outside of Vanderbilt campus that you can really link to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt is like the Vatican - a city within a city in Nashville. No commonalities with the SEC as a league at all. They have a decent (older crowd like Wisconsin though) basketball following, but they do not move the needle at all in the city or state. They are an afterthought.. which makes the run of commitments to Drew all the more puzzling. It's not like they are going to form some super team either and beat up on the league either - SEC improving dramatically and set up for a more consistent and steady run of programs in the league with recent coaching upgrades - and likely more to come (Georgia and Ole Miss)

Reactions: IUgradman
They are an afterthought.. which makes the run of commitments to Drew all the more puzzling. It's not like they are going to form some super team either and beat up on the league either - SEC improving dramatically and set up for a more consistent and steady run of programs in the league with recent coaching upgrades - and likely more to come (Georgia and Ole Miss)

Scott Drew attracts high level recruits to visit Baylor. I don't recall him really landing a bunch of 5 stars but who wants to visit Waco. Must be in their bloodline or something.

Scott Drew attracts high level recruits to visit Baylor. I don't recall him really landing a bunch of 5 stars but who wants to visit Waco. Must be in their bloodline or something.

Scott Drew = $

Our fanbase worries about the craziest shit. How many kids have turned down UK because their fanbase is too rabid? It may happen, and that may be a reason for Romeo, but of possible reasons, it's about 229th.

As an observer, I disliked Creans coaching tactics. I do like Crean, though. He seems like a great guy. He got IU back to relevancy, which I thank him for.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Does anyone else find it kind of odd watching 40 year of men standing in line to get an autograph from a 18 old kid.

Not really. Collectors go crazy over this kind of stuff. UT hands out 8.5 by 11 roster cards before each home game with various information on it such as big 12 standings, overall rankings etcc. On the flip side is a photo of an individiual player on the team. Mo Bamba has had 2 games with his photo on 2 of the games and if he made an appearance to sign autographs somewhere, it could be a very good collector's item in 20 years. I think the same could be said for romeo.

As an observer, I disliked Creans coaching tactics. I do like Crean, though. He seems like a great guy. He got IU back to relevancy, which I thank him for.

Agree to disagree. Cody Zeller enabled him to assemble two good teams. And this roster he left for Archie? lol

We had some flashy wins in his 9 years but I am not sure we were what I consider "Indiana relevant". Maybe we were Iowa relevant. Or Illinois relevant. That's not what I aspire to be nor what I remember Indiana as.

And I disagree that he seems like a great guy. He embarrassed the hell out of the program numerous times on national television. The blow by handshakes, the screaming at opposing coaches. Smdh.

Sorry, the "Crean is a good guy/relevance" posts trigger me. o_O

Fred gave that clown nine years to diminish our brand and make us a joke. Crean didn’t leave the program in much better shape than he found it.

I don’t see baseball or soccer players playing this year, so it is much better shape. Romeo would not even consider IU if we were anywhere near where Tom Crean found the program.

Reactions: IndyAuthor

wet-blanket.jpg

Well if Romeo points to somebody in the state of Indiana at a basketball court what are the chances they are wearing Vandy gear? Maybe he was pointing south and that dude photo bombed the picture.

What a ridiculous comment... he is clearly pointing west. :p

I don’t think most recruits care one single bit about history and tradition. They care about what have you done for me lately. And how does that translate to me? Not what did you do 20 years before I was born.

I do think we get him though for other reasons. Archie has done a great job running uphill on this one.

Last edited:
I suppose that's debatable, but I would say IU - even with some tough stretches and over the last 15 years - has enjoyed more success than Vanderbilt. Stallings had some good teams but was dreadful coming down the stretch every year and perennially went one and done in tourney. At minimum, Indiana basketball is a far stronger brand w/much greater appeal than Vanderbilt.

I grew up in Indiana on IU basketball, but went to Univ. of Tenn for college so have some insight into both IU and SEC basketball - and the lay of the land for each.

I guess I was really offering more of the perspective on where he announces as it relates to who he picks - given posts ITT that tied Atlanta to picking Vanderbilt. There is no announcement location outside of Vanderbilt campus that you can really link to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt is like the Vatican - a city within a city in Nashville. No commonalities with the SEC as a league at all. They have a decent (older crowd like Wisconsin though) basketball following, but they do not move the needle at all in the city or state. They are an afterthought.. which makes the run of commitments to Drew all the more puzzling. It's not like they are going to form some super team either and beat up on the league either - SEC improving dramatically and set up for a more consistent and steady run of programs in the league with recent coaching upgrades - and likely more to come (Georgia and Ole Miss)
No doubt we are far superior in tradition, fanbase, etc. I’m just saying we haven’t had drastically better results than them on the court in Romeo’s lifetime. We haven’t been UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.

That clown dug a deep lonely grave, threw IU basketball in it, and slowly shoveled dirt on top for 9 long years. And we paid him $30 million for it.

Oh, and he had guys like Kenny Johnson on his staff landing players like Noah Vonleh. Great guy.

I don’t think most recruits care one single bit about history and tradition. They care about what have you done for me lately. And how does that translate to me? Not what did you do 20 years before I was born.

I do think we get him though for other reasons. Archie has done a great job running uphill on this one.

Then they shouldn't give a chit about the clown show of the past 9 years. That's over. Archie is in control now, and it's clear he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: kkott and IUgradman
That clown dug a deep lonely grave, threw IU basketball in it, and slowly shoveled dirt on top for 9 long years. And we paid him $30 million for it.

Oh, and he had guys like Kenny Johnson on his staff landing players like Noah Vonleh. Great guy.
Will have to disagree with you. You think he did that on purpose? I doubt it. Good guy, bad coach, leadership, and decision maker.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Will have to disagree with you. You think he did that on purpose? I doubt it. Good guy, bad coach, leadership, and decision maker.
Hiring Kenny Johnson who was then out landing guys like Noah Vonleh late in the process wasn’t on purpose? Was it an accident? Serious question.

Hiring Kenny Johnson who was then out landing guys like Noah Vonleh late in the process wasn’t on purpose? Was it an accident? Serious question.
I may be wrong, but when Kenny was hired he wasn’t known to cheat. IU’s draw also was pretty big at the time.

I’ll say again, I did not like Crean as a coach. I liked him as a person. The players would agree with me

Kenny Johnson had major connections with the East Coast AAU scene. Those were guys TC was after hot and heavy. I'm not saying Johnson didn't do anything underhanded, but I would lay heavy odds that if he did he did it of his own accord and not with the knowledge of Crean.

There are a lot of things not to like about Tom Crean the coach, but I would need a whole lot more than this connection to be convinced he was dirty in the slightest. I have never heard anyone even make whispers that he ever did anything corrupt at any of his stops (other than visit Gary Harris at school a day before the legal visit period began, which was proven to be an honest mistake and immediately reported by TC).

I suspect that Johnson thought things might be different at IU, and when he saw that he wasn't going to be additionally compensated (either above or below the table) he bolted for L'ville where he knew the pot would be sweetened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT