ADVERTISEMENT

There is a potential silver lining to this crappy situation.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Whatever they did, they had to know that if they did it alone and got caught it was going to hurt them as individuals more than it hurt the team. But by acting as a group, once caught, they put CMW in a position that challenged his authority and questioned his leadership. They disrepected their teammates and the program. Not to mention they gave the finger to Hoosier nation.

And yet Woody did not identify them by name and he did not publicly shame them. Instead he let them dress for the game and even let them participate in pre-game warm-ups. What a great move! He is giving each of them the opportunity to to own up to their mistakes. He is giving them the opportunity to become better teammates and better persons. Will they seize this opportunity or will they hide in the shadows? Time will tell.

Hopefully they will organize their own press conference and collectively take responsibility. This is a real fork in the road.

Whatever they did, they had to know that if they did it alone and got caught it was going to hurt them as individuals more than it hurt the team. But by acting as a group, once caught, they put CMW in a position that challenged his authority and questioned his leadership. They disrepected their teammates and the program. Not to mention they gave the finger to Hoosier nation.

And yet Woody did not identify them by name and he did not publicly shame them. Instead he let them dress for the game and even let them participate in pre-game warm-ups. What a great move! He is giving each of them the opportunity to to own up to their mistakes. He is giving them the opportunity to become better teammates and better persons. Will they seize this opportunity or will they hide in the shadows? Time will tell.

Hopefully they will organize their own press conference and collectively take responsibility. This is a real fork in the road.

Not so sure about the first paragraph. I really don't think college kids think at that level, too impulsive.

The rest of your post, IMO, is spot on!

organize a press conference... what? How about a team meeting, apologize to your coaches and especially teammates, and move on. They made a bad decision, they didn't commit a crime or disrespect the nation. Sounds like a goofy Crean-type stunt to me.

Another way to state your thread's title, "There's always a little bit of heaven in a disaster area", uttered by Wavy Gravy during Woodstock in 1969. Old hippies never die, they just go to pot. The former Hugh Romney is now 85 years old and still giggling.

Reactions: mobilehoosier

I agree that it was a good move to have them dress.... remind them what it means to wear the uniform. After the game or the next day, I hope they all ran, as a team. If they want to make a run in the tournament, and they can, they have to gel. Nothing crazy, but winning 2 or 3 games in the tournament is doable, but first they got to win 1 of the next 3, and 2 or 3 more.

Reactions: baileyiu
I agree that it was a good move to have them dress.... remind them what it means to wear the uniform. After the game or the next day, I hope they all ran, as a team. If they want to make a run in the tournament, and they can, they have to gel. Nothing crazy, but winning 2 or 3 games in the tournament is doable, but first they got to win 1 of the next 3, and 2 or 3 more.
Yeah..If Indiana played all they're games in the Hall.
I've seen nothing out this team that tells me..They can buckle down make big shots with 3 minutes left in the game...This team is a small notch better than last year..

Another way to state your thread's title, "There's always a little bit of heaven in a disaster area", uttered by Wavy Gravy during Woodstock in 1969. Old hippies never die, they just go to pot. The former Hugh Romney is now 85 years old and still giggling.
Wavy Gravy LOL, jump on the 🚎 with Further on it, and enjoy the long strange trip.

Reactions: bigmac76
I like that he had them dress and watch. If I was one of those 5, I would be watching my teammates give their all and that feeling of not being able to help them would sting like you know what and be burned in my memory. If i'm one of them and I see a gassed Galloway give everything he's got, I'd want to run through a wall to help him and the rest of the team.

Wavy Gravy LOL, jump on the 🚎 with Further on it, and enjoy the long strange trip.
It's certainly been enjoyably strange...strange is interesting, but never long enough (I assume).

Not that anyone else cares, but I'll be leaving soon to pick up my belated birthday buddy for my treat of a Stromboli sandwich (extra red sauce on the side) at Nick's. I love nostalgia and the warm fuzzy I find there. I'll propose a toast there (glass jar with red buffalo logo in hand) to the "Fallen Five" that they find forgiveness within the ranks of Hoosier Nation.

3 wins in the tourney... would put them in the E8....I would put that in the " something crazy" category.

Reactions: Al Bino
I like that he had them dress and watch. If I was one of those 5, I would be watching my teammates give their all and that feeling of not being able to help them would sting like you know what and be burned in my memory. If i'm one of them and I see a gassed Galloway give everything he's got, I'd want to run through a wall to help him and the rest of the team.
Are you referring to the same Galloway that some posters on here wanted to chase off last fall?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

shouldn't we at least know what they did, before everybody judges them and Woody as if we actually do know what they did.

i have zero idea what the right call was, or what to think of it one way or another, because i have zero idea what they did.

and am beyond bewildered that no one else seems to think they need to know what they did, to be able to philosophize about it and judge both sides, like experts on the subject.

Reactions: kkott
Are you referring to the same Galloway that some posters on here wanted to chase off last fall?
It might of had something to do with his image as coming from Culver Academy, what with it being so small and Trey's coach being his father, Mark. Interestingly, Mark Galloway was coach at Carmel HS in Indy for a number of years until resigning, along with three assistant coaches over the school bus/lockerrom "hazing" incidents that took place with four of his basketball players, including John Laskowski's son. Mark Galloway later had Culver on probation for three separate reprimands which included a four game head coach suspension during Trey's senior season.

Reactions: Willray
It might of had something to do with his image as coming from Culver Academy, what with it being so small and Trey's coach being his father, Mark. Interestingly, Mark Galloway was coach at Carmel HS in Indy for a number of years until resigning, along with three assistant coaches over the school bus/lockerrom "hazing" incidents that took place with four of his basketball players, including John Laskowski's son. Mark Galloway later had Culver on probation for three separate reprimands which included a four game head coach suspension during Trey's senior season.
Timeout, if Evanston isn't Chicago, nfw is Carmel Indy!

shouldn't we at least know what they did, before everybody judges them and Woody as if we actually do know what they did.

i have zero idea what the right call was, or what to think of it one way or another, because i have zero idea what they did.

and am beyond bewildered that no one else seems to think they need to know what they did, to be able to philosophize about it and judge both sides, like experts on the subject.
Exactly, we'll never know all the details and nuances. That's why I've said, I trust CMW's decision and actions.

Reactions: BigMobe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT