ADVERTISEMENT

The way too early spread for Iowa...

I will take anything better than IU -3. If its lower or gosh forbid they give IU points....take it and run. Highway robbery.

Big number considering how close these 2 teams are rated in the pre-season polls. Was thinking no more than 3 (based mainly on home field). This Bet Rivers 5.5 number is begging folks to put $$ on IU to balance the line.

Last edited:
Big number considering how close these 2 teams are rated in the pre-season polls. Was thinking no more than 3 (based mainly on home field). This Bet Rivers 5.5 number is begging folks to put $$ on IU to balance the line.
As I understand gambling, the odds are not who will win nor by how much. The odds are placed to increase the number of bets (and total dollar amount) that are bet. Odds shift in any direction (up or down) based on what is needed to increase the betting on an individual contest.

Reactions: vesuvius13
As I understand gambling, the odds are not who will win nor by how much. The odds are placed to increase the number of bets (and total dollar amount) that are bet. Odds shift in any direction (up or down) based on what is needed to increase the betting on an individual contest.
No, the odds are set to get 50% of the money on each side. This way the house get their "vig" of usually 10% no matter who wins or loses. Lines will move when a large amount of $ goes on one side. This is to get more money on the other side to balance it out.

No, the odds are set to get 50% of the money on each side. This way the house get their "vig" of usually 10% no matter who wins or loses. Lines will move when a large amount of $ goes on one side. This is to get more money on the other side to balance it out.
I think you both just said the same thing. But I've had a couple glasses of wine and don't want to analyze it anymore

Reactions: sparkeyreturns
I just spoke with the Capper. He is in New York for the Belmont next week. I talked with him about Indiana at Iowa to open the season. He said it was the biggest game in 34 years, and we got what is starting to be referred to nationally as "Brother Loves traveling salvation show". "The years of frustration are over". He said he would give the points or take the points, which is very strange for him. He always takes the points or leaves the game alone. Have a little faith. Bet on the great turnaround, the one we have been looking for so long. The Capper doesn't work, hangs out at the track and can cash a check in any bar in three states.

Me personally, if I were betting on the game, even as an Iowa fan, I would put money on Indiana. I know home field gets you points, but it's a fact that Iowa almost always starts the season slow and gets better as the season goes. Last year they lost their first two games, then got things rolling, so, if the season starts as normal, Iowa will start slow, giving Indiana the edge.

Me personally, if I were betting on the game, even as an Iowa fan, I would put money on Indiana. I know home field gets you points, but it's a fact that Iowa almost always starts the season slow and gets better as the season goes. Last year they lost their first two games, then got things rolling, so, if the season starts as normal, Iowa will start slow, giving Indiana the edge.
Historically, that is the case.

Along with that does Iowa usually schedule light non-con games to start the season?

Is a top 20 opponent in game 1 something new for Iowa which will then cause them to prepare different and probably start out of the gate faster this year?

Are the slow starts due to running vanilla packages the first few games or is it something else?

Historically, that is the case.

Along with that does Iowa usually schedule light non-con games to start the season?

Is a top 20 opponent in game 1 something new for Iowa which will then cause them to prepare different and probably start out of the gate faster this year?

Are the slow starts due to running vanilla packages the first few games or is it something else?
Since Iowa State has been good the past few years, they have a top 25 matchup usually in the second game. When ISU stunk, it was usually three tune up games. Last year, Iowa got Purdue week one, out played them but made entirely to many mistakes, and their defensive backfield wasn't ready as Bell torched them. Week two, the defense played good, but the offense was still making mistakes, lots of penalties and lost to NW by one. Iowa's QB Petras was very erratic the first several games, at times he couldn't have thrown the ball into the ocean if he were standing on the beach, but he came on as the season went, but nothing spectacular. The saving grace they have is Goodson, he is a very good RB so that will take some pressure off Petras, and the defense will be very good again, but with an untested DL. Really, if your going to draw another top 25 conference team in game one, it's good that their in different divisions. SO, whether Iowa or Indiana wins, both are still in race for their division and can still be undefeated in their division. Of course, I think I like not having tOSU in Iowa's division, I feel for you there. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Since Iowa State has been good the past few years, they have a top 25 matchup usually in the second game. When ISU stunk, it was usually three tune up games. Last year, Iowa got Purdue week one, out played them but made entirely to many mistakes, and their defensive backfield wasn't ready as Bell torched them. Week two, the defense played good, but the offense was still making mistakes, lots of penalties and lost to NW by one. Iowa's QB Petras was very erratic the first several games, at times he couldn't have thrown the ball into the ocean if he were standing on the beach, but he came on as the season went, but nothing spectacular. The saving grace they have is Goodson, he is a very good RB so that will take some pressure off Petras, and the defense will be very good again, but with an untested DL. Really, if your going to draw another top 25 conference team in game one, it's good that their in different divisions. SO, whether Iowa or Indiana wins, both are still in race for their division and can still be undefeated in their division. Of course, I think I like not having tOSU in Iowa's division, I feel for you there. LOL
Will be curious as to how the first 2 games go for Iowa. Indiana is a big top 25 matchup. Then Iowa goes week 2 to Ames, in what should be their toughest game all year, as ISU is currently top 4 on the ESPN FPI index. I expect Iowa to be about 15 that week and ISU to be around 6-7. So will Iowa prepare hard for Indiana, or will they overlook Indiana for the ISU game? Will be a tough 2 weeks for Iowa. Personally I hope they go 0-2.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Will be curious as to how the first 2 games go for Iowa. Indiana is a big top 25 matchup. Then Iowa goes week 2 to Ames, in what should be their toughest game all year, as ISU is currently top 4 on the ESPN FPI index. I expect Iowa to be about 15 that week and ISU to be around 6-7. So will Iowa prepare hard for Indiana, or will they overlook Indiana for the ISU game? Will be a tough 2 weeks for Iowa. Personally I hope they go 0-2.
They will not overlook IU this year.
In years past maybe but not this year.

I think Iowa will take it one game at a time, and since Kirk is undefeated vs Campbell, I like Iowa's chances. ISU does not play very many teams in the Big 12 that play good defense, and you can't win in the BiG without playing top 30 defense. Iowa State doesn't play any other team that play the same style as Iowa, so that goes in Iowa's favor. Iowa is good against the run and probably has the best or one of the best secondary that ISU will face all season. The games have been close the past couple years, and ISU plays good defense against Iowa, so I look for another close game. If Iowa's Spencer Petras stuggles in either of these games, Iowa could lose both, but if he picks up where he left off last year, then Iowa could win both games, as I think he is the key to Iowa's success. BTW, ISU won't be Iowa's toughest game of the season. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: cidsports
I think Iowa will take it one game at a time, and since Kirk is undefeated vs Campbell, I like Iowa's chances. ISU does not play very many teams in the Big 12 that play good defense, and you can't win in the BiG without playing top 30 defense. Iowa State doesn't play any other team that play the same style as Iowa, so that goes in Iowa's favor. Iowa is good against the run and probably has the best or one of the best secondary that ISU will face all season. The games have been close the past couple years, and ISU plays good defense against Iowa, so I look for another close game. If Iowa's Spencer Petras stuggles in either of these games, Iowa could lose both, but if he picks up where he left off last year, then Iowa could win both games, as I think he is the key to Iowa's success. BTW, ISU won't be Iowa's toughest game of the season. LOL
Funny, EPSN FPI has teams ranked as so: #1 Alabama, #2 Oklahoma, #3 Clemson, and #4 is Iowa State. So which of the top 3 teams is Iowa playing?

Iowa went 0-2 last year. Road opener, after covid-19 shutdown. Zero spring reps and as QB coach shared (bad habits like D3 players), due to the oddities of 2020.

65% of Iowa's roster did I hear had first spring practice this year, including RB Tyler Goodson and TE Sam LaPorta, Iowa's top returning RB and WR.

QB Spencer Petras lead Iowa to 6 straight wins, after the 0-2 start. Iowa was 1-2 in one possession games.

First season in six years they didn't get Iowa State games and win. Iowa did lose Week 3 in 2016 against North Dakota State.

Odd to say Iowa doesn't play well early in the season, except last year, which was first road season opener in forever, with one of the top 5 youngest programs in P5.

Fwiw

Indiana under Tom Allen got a big win last year in season opener. Huge momentum win. It will be interesting opener.

Funny, EPSN FPI has teams ranked as so: #1 Alabama, #2 Oklahoma, #3 Clemson, and #4 is Iowa State. So which of the top 3 teams is Iowa playing?
You know, even a Clone fan should realize that this is a HOOSIER board, and they don't give a hoot about the Cyclones, as they do not play the Cyclones. And to be honest, what does the ISU vs Iowa game have to do with Indiana? Let me suggest something, why don't you bring this up on either the Cyclone or Hawkeye board? BTW, I will guarantee you ISU ends up no where near #4 by season's end, and season's end is what matters. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT