ADVERTISEMENT

The most IU football thing I have ever seen

There was no conclusive proof of that, just as there was no conclusive proof that it did not cross the plane. That’s why the call stood, just as it would’ve stood had the initial call been “no good”.

This is correct.

Ufo, the ball was not ruled (on replay, anyway) to have crossed the plane. There was simply not any conclusive video evidence that it didn’t. So there was nothing to warrant overturning the call on the field.

That may sound like semantics (like a defendant pleading “not guilty” instead of “innocent”) or a distinction without a difference. But it’s actually a substantial difference.

I don't think that anyone has brought this up, but can anyone explain to me WTF Allen was thinking with the late onside kick? I'm glad to have him, and he really seems to be developing a good culture within the program, but sometimes he seems to outsmart himself, ala Crean. I wasn't able to watch the game until late, but did I miss something somehow?

I don't think that anyone has brought this up, but can anyone explain to me WTF Allen was thinking with the late onside kick? I'm glad to have him, and he really seems to be developing a good culture within the program, but sometimes he seems to outsmart himself, ala Crean. I wasn't able to watch the game until late, but did I miss something somehow?
I think the kicker attempted a squib kick and he just missed it. Justus' behavior on the sidelines suggested he failed to execute, not that he was given a stupid game plan.

Reactions: 76-1 and Brockway
2 blatant holding calls too.

You left out (at least) three blatant pass interference with no calls...

The early one where the db pulled our guys jersey enough to have it stretched out 2 feet behind him, used that move to catch up to him and then pulled him back by his shoulder (all while the Ref was in perfect position to call it) still ticks me off!!! (even after a big win)...

I think the kicker attempted a squib kick and he just missed it. Justus' behavior on the sidelines suggested he failed to execute, not that he was given a stupid game plan.

It was Smolar and you're right he just muffed it... Allen was Not happy and Smolar went behind the bench and bounced his helmet a good 5'+ off the turf... Smolar looked pretty upset sitting on the bench too... He probably thought he'd just blown the game...

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Bino
You left out (at least) three blatant pass interference with no calls...

The early one where the db pulled our guys jersey enough to have it stretched out 2 feet behind him, used that move to catch up to him and then pulled him back by his shoulder (all while the Ref was in perfect position to call it) still ticks me off!!! (even after a big win)...
That told me our guys are as good as any in the B1G. When it takes that to keep up we must be pretty good.

Reactions: 76-1

It was not an OSK. Smolar just damned near whiffed.

I will gladly eat crow on IU football and coach Allen. I made fun of him, called him a moron etc.....but he is a hell of a football coach. Just thought I would say I was completely wrong on him. Said we hired a HS coach, trashed him, was one of my worst takes.

Contrition? Different look for you, but then that's true of IU as well. Be hard pressed to find anyone this time last year who would have bet on IU earning a top twenty ranking one game into this Season.

Smolar looked pretty upset sitting on the bench too... He probably thought he'd just blown the game...

He came about 6-8 inches away from doing just that.

My question is whether or not he just mis-hit the ball that badly or whether he got confused about what he was intending to do. I guess it's water under the bridge now and I'm sure nobody on that sideline was quite as relieved when Pennix converted the 2 as Smolar was. But geez...what a blunder.

I'm sure Devyn Ford hasn't been feeling too hot the past few days.

It was Smolar and you're right he just muffed it... Allen was Not happy and Smolar went behind the bench and bounced his helmet a good 5'+ off the turf... Smolar looked pretty upset sitting on the bench too... He probably thought he'd just blown the game...
Oops you're right my bad.

It might have or it might not have. But this is kinda like the Standard of Proof concept in law. I do not think the video conclusively shows that the ball crossed the plane while in play. It’s possible, though.

To have overturned the call, the video would have to have shown incontrovertible evidence that it didn’t cross the plane while in play. The video didn’t show that.

So I don’t think anybody can be sure that the call on the field was correct. But we can be sure that there wasn’t sufficient evidence to overturn it.
I think that is correct. The call on the field, either way, would stand

I thought it was just short but the call on the field was made and no way the refs were going to change it. Had it been called a score they would have not changed it either as several here have said . Franklin is a poor in game coach. He is usually good for at least one foul up every game.

5d88ae6d2b80cf122028e6c75fdf3e81.jpg

To put the ? marks on this TD to rest forever..., check out this great shot from Tom Allen's twitter slideshow (stick with it, its about 4 shots in)... This clearly shows the football breaking the plane..., putting an exclamation point on this W (!) :

Now That is a thing of beauty!

To put the ? marks on this TD to rest forever..., check out this great shot from Tom Allen's twitter slideshow (stick with it, its about 4 shots in)... This clearly shows the football breaking the plane..., putting an exclamation point on this W (!) :

Now That is a thing of beauty!

I am as glad as anyone that IU got the win but if I am seeing the pic that I think you are referring to, I don't see how that pic "clearly" shows the ball breaking the plane. The pic I saw was from the end of the end zone so you have no perspective as to where the ball is in relation to the goal line.

The nose does not cross the plane before it hits the ground, that is my opinion with the available camera angles. The only true way To know would be to have a tennis like instant replay on the goal line, with a completely straight or aerial angle replay.
Well, I glad you had no say in the matter. I watched the replay many times and could not see that there was "indisputable evidence" which would allow the call to be overturned. Sometimes it's just too close to call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT