ADVERTISEMENT

The Montverde Recruiting Weekend

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Seems like everywhere you read and look there is an article about how big this coming weekend is for recruiting. Kind of crazy. All the sites have something plus Indystar, etc. Hope Woody seals the deal. Maybe Carmelo might happen to be passing through town!!!

Verbal(s) this weekend would be huge. Nothing this weekend might be worrisome. Emphasis on might.

McNeeley just set visits to KU and UT. Unlikely he's going to commit, so be prepared for worrisome. Strap in!
We've had numerous visits set for IU, that have ultimately been cancelled, after visiting someone else. Swartz just did it actually.

Obviously its VERY possible McNeeley is going to take those other visits. But its also possible he set those visits as leverage to bump the NIL package he's getting to pick/attend IU.

We've had numerous visits set for IU, that have ultimately been cancelled, after visiting someone else. Swartz just did it actually.

Obviously its VERY possible McNeeley is going to take those other visits. But its also possible he set those visits as leverage to bump the NIL package he's getting to pick/attend IU.
He’s been pretty consistent though. It’s been those 3 since mid-summer. He seems an IU lean since late July imho.

He’s been pretty consistent though. It’s been those 3 since mid-summer. He seems an IU lean since late July imho.
Yeah...as you can see, I'm just prone to devil's advocate stances.

Another post on this thread indicated he has already visited Kansas. If that's true, the theory I floated is much less likely.

He could visit us though, and cancel the UT visit. Like I said, its happened to us quite a lot this offseason.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Another post on this thread indicated he has already visited Kansas. If that's true, the theory I floated is much less likely.

He could visit us though, and cancel the UT visit. Like I said, its happened to us quite a lot this offseason.
Last weekend. He scheduled the visits in succession. Just didn’t get reported.

Last weekend. He scheduled the visits in succession. Just didn’t get reported.
Glad he didn't commit to them when there then. ha ha.

If he were to choose someone else, that would be a big blow. Too early in the 24 cycle to get worried though. I'm sure history will follow suit and Woody will get a 5 star level kid, and a couple other solid 3/4 star kids...at a minimum.

Seems like everywhere you read and look there is an article about how big this coming weekend is for recruiting. Kind of crazy. All the sites have something plus Indystar, etc. Hope Woody seals the deal. Maybe Carmelo might happen to be passing through town!!!
just keep Josh Smith away from town....even though he's part of the family.....

• Haha
Reactions: abraxis and 4IUSox2

He could visit us though, and cancel the UT visit. Like I said, its happened to us quite a lot this offseason

Fland is at UK. We need someone to get the ball rolling
Totally on the outside, but it doesn't feel to me like we're getting Fland, and honestly I don't like how McNeeley has dragged out. A verbal from him this weekend or next week would be HUGE, but it just feels like with us leading all this time, he'd have committed if he wasn't hesitant over something.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Totally on the outside, but it doesn't feel to me like we're getting Fland, and honestly I don't like how McNeeley has dragged out. A verbal from him this weekend or next week would be HUGE, but it just feels like with us leading all this time, he'd have committed if he wasn't hesitant over something.
I think it was Cavanaugh that made an interesting point a while back about types of recruitments that Woody has been successful with, and types he hasn't.

Most of his success has come from players that have been forced to change their minds late in their recruitment process, and then make a new choice fairly quickly. He hasn't had much success, at all, in longer, drawn out, more open recruitments.

So I share your overall pessimism. But that's mainly because we haven't seen a recruitment like all these 24 kids recruitments end with an IU commitment, yet.

I gotta think we'll get at least one of them...and I do think leveraging for higher NIL money could be causing kids to delay committing...and its definitely not abnormal for kids to not have made their decisions at this point. But I am getting ancy, as I'm sure Woody is as well. Hope he figures out how to close McNeeley here soon. Might lead to a couple more.

I think it was Cavanaugh that made an interesting point a while back about types of recruitments that Woody has been successful with, and types he hasn't.

Most of his success has come from players that have been forced to change their minds late in their recruitment process, and then make a new choice fairly quickly. He hasn't had much success, at all, in longer, drawn out, more open recruitments.

So I share your overall pessimism. But that's mainly because we haven't seen a recruitment like all these 24 kids recruitments end with an IU commitment, yet.

I gotta think we'll get at least one of them...and I do think leveraging for higher NIL money could be causing kids to delay committing...and its definitely not abnormal for kids to not have made their decisions at this point. But I am getting ancy, as I'm sure Woody is as well. Hope he figures out how to close McNeeley here soon. Might lead to a couple more.
Yeah, I don't begrudge a kid w NIL now, trying to protect himself and get the best deal he can, but, assuming he wants to win and play w other good players, the angle of "We need you to commit so we can close on other good players, and have a better team for you to play with", would seem to hold water.

The reality is that coaches like Self and Calipari have put a lot of guys into the NBA over many years. And they have plenty of bucks to use during the new NIL era. IU will have to pony up big-time to be competitive here. I'm hoping the JHS connection will be very meaningful to these kids in terms of giving an edge to Woody in the trust department.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and kkott
Queen and Mac Newley will come down to money and Under Armour is DEDICATED to making sure Maryland gets Queen.

Mcneely gonna be dogfight too

Queen and Mac Newley will come down to money and Under Armour is DEDICATED to making sure Maryland gets Queen.

Mcneely gonna be dogfight too
Maryland has recently complained about NIL funds. Not so sure they have those big funds available.

I don't think IU was leading all this time, I think its been very close with 3 teams in the mix. IU needs to have a great visit to pull ahead.

Good grief! Derik Queen is a giant. I saw a pic of him w the guys at the game.
Yep, and with better offensive skills, but in the proverbial dawg fight, I'll take Payton Sparks for the win. Just keeping my fingers crossed, and not expecting to hear this weekend, for some more ballers to join what Coach Woody is putting together

We saw him and he is a big dude. Also ran into CJ, Banks, and Malik for the third time as a group. Those three all look like different kids, all bigger and stronger.
Thought I saw that Reanu had actually lost a few pounds. He (and JHS) were the rare recruits who came in already physically equipped with the strength to play in the B10. My greatest hope for Reanu this off-season in the gym was to really work on his flexibility, foot speed and agility. I thought last year many of his fouls were caused by grabbing because guys were getting by him and not moving his feet.

Thought I saw that Reanu had actually lost a few pounds. He (and JHS) were the rare recruits who came in already physically equipped with the strength to play in the B10. My greatest hope for Reanu this off-season in the gym was to really work on his flexibility, foot speed and agility. I thought last year many of his fouls were caused by grabbing because guys were getting by him and not moving his feet.
Agree, his weakness is that he isn’t very explosive.

Not really. Strength yes. Explosiveness is more the player's genetic athletic ability and it can't really be improved very much by training.
Buried deep within the pages of “Fun With Physiology” it states that one’s genetic profile strongly influences whether one has a higher proportion of slow-twitched or fast-twitched muscle fibers. It’s probably safe to assume Malik’s grand-pappy wasn’t too quick on the draw, being of slower twitch once triggered.

Getting Queen would crown Woody king.
Getting Flagg would crown CMW.
But that's not happening..
Flagg at Indiana would have the fan base out of their minds...You probably couldn't get a seat..
I'm a little worried none of these 3 are coming..
We'll see...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT