ADVERTISEMENT

The Millennial thought process...

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
Said millennial and I wanted to take the kids to a church for indoor trick or treating. Said millennial knows where the church is. I let the millennial drive thinking they knew where the church was, go ahead a drive.

After about a minute or so in the car, I ask, where is this place?

Out comes the millennials phone, while the millennial is driving, in the rain, down a busy street.

I can see the phone loading up. I ask again, 'can't you just tell me where it's at?' (Any answer like this would have sufficed: ' Just up the road. Before such n such pizza. A couple minutes away. We're almost there.')

Instead, millennial keeps waiting, staring at phone, driving. 'Hold on, my phones being slow.'

Me: 'Is this how you do it, you drive around staring at your phone like this?'

Millennial, completely baffled and defensive now, 'I don't know where it's at, just hold on.'

Me: 'I mean, is this place down the street, off Stellhorn, a couple minutes away? Can't you just give me any indication or landmark where it's at, or where it's by?'

Phone loads up, millennial says, 'It's 1.4 miles away. We'll be there in 3 minutes.'

Can you imagine living life like this?

Said millennial and I wanted to take the kids to a church for indoor trick or treating. Said millennial knows where the church is. I let the millennial drive thinking they knew where the church was, go ahead a drive.

Out comes the millennials phone, while the millennial is driving, in the rain, down a busy street.

I can see the phone loading up. I ask again, 'can't you just tell me where it's at?' (Any answer like this would have sufficed: ' Just up the road. Before such n such pizza. A couple minutes away. We're almost there.')

Instead, millennial keeps waiting, staring at phone, driving. 'Hold on, my phones being slow.'

Millennial, completely baffled and defensive now, 'I don't know where it's at, just hold on.'

Me: 'I mean, is this place down the street, off Stellhorn, a couple minutes away? Can't you just give me any indication or landmark where it's at, or where it's by?'

Phone loads up, millennial says, 'It's 1.4 miles away. We'll be there in 3 minutes.'

No, I cannot imagine going through life relying on GPS, Google Maps, Siri, Alexa and computers to know shit for me. There is nothing wrong with incorporating the latest technology INTO your life. That said, we seem to be at the stage (especially with the younger generations) where using technology as the end all/be all answer to every question is some sort of crutch for the terminally lazy.. And FFS, PLEASE check GPS/Mapping software BEFORE you leave the ****ing house god dammit! That way you can SAFELY and CONFIDENTLY navigate your way to an unknown place.

Ask questions, find the answers, commit them to memory! Learn things so you can know them.

No, I cannot imagine going through life relying on GPS, Google Maps, Siri, Alexa and computers to know shit for me. There is nothing wrong with incorporating the latest technology INTO your life. That said, we seem to be at the stage (especially with the younger generations) where using technology as the end all/be all answer to every question is some sort of crutch for the terminally lazy.. And FFS, PLEASE check GPS/Mapping software BEFORE you leave the ****ing house god dammit! That way you can SAFELY and CONFIDENTLY navigate your way to an unknown place.

Ask questions, find the answers, commit them to memory! Learn things so you can know them.

This x 1000.

Here's the kicker, Millennial knew where it was. But, Millennial didn't know how to say, 'just down the street'. That never occurred to Millennial.

My son and I were on a backpacking trip on his 16th birthday. I wouldn't let him use the GPS and forced him to use a map and compass. He whined and bitched about it, but by the end of the week he was keeping a pace count, shooting back azimuths and could put us within 100 yards of our actual location. He laughs about it now and says it gave it him all-time shotgun with any of his buddies since he could navigate without his phone.

Reactions: 76-1 and sdhoosier
Ask which church at the beginning and navigate or pull out your phone and navigate.

I get you though, wifey can’t drive across Chicago without using GPS to find the fastest route... even if it’s 6am and she’s been here for 20+ years.

The real question is are you banging a millennial? Anything in a two-piece?

old-man-yells-at-cloud-35835672.png

Old guy here. We used to drive with maps on our laps.

Another old guy here...

I still try to use a Real map whenever possible.

I just look at it, memorize it and pull over for a recheck as needed (preferably in a parking lot)...

I've had a GPS device attempt to send into the side of a mountain near Whitefish,MT and onto a gravel road to nowhere in Newfoundland, Canada.

Recently had Google Maps send me to a suburban neighborhood rather than to the hotel we were attempting to find...

GPS devices aren't always all they are cracked up to be but may cause you to "crack up"...

Last edited:
Ask which church at the beginning and navigate or pull out your phone and navigate.

I get you though, wifey can’t drive across Chicago without using GPS to find the fastest route... even if it’s 6am and she’s been here for 20+ years.

I triangulated his current IP address with his previous info incl IMEI, GPS device location and this is what I got:

article-2320291-19A5B54B000005DC-186_634x584.jpg

One-piece though.

Last edited:

Yeah but that makes sense. I use it often even if I know where I’m going to check for accidents, construction, etc. Even driving Btown to Indy now, because construction can back you up so much.

Yeah but that makes sense. I use it often even if I know where I’m going to check for accidents, construction, etc. Even driving Btown to Indy now, because construction can back you up so much.
same - plus the OP could’ve asked all of us for our PO Box to send a letter in the mail to each of us, but instead chose to use the new age e-board to complain abt the new e-maps...

Fine.

Another old guy here...

I still try to use a Real map whenever possible.

I just look at it, memorize it and pull over for a recheck as needed (preferably in a parking lot)...

I've had a GPS device attempt to send into the side of a mountain near Whitefish,MT and onto a gravel road to nowhere in Newfoundland, Canada.

Recently had Google Maps send me to a suburban neighborhood rather than to the hotel we were attempting to find...

GPS devices aren't always all they are cracked up to be but may cause you to "crack up"...

I've been to Whitefish. Cool place. Glacier NP is a place everyone should experience once in their life. Discovered a good Montana beer - Cold Smoke - as well. Some fly-fishing. Great times ....

Old guy here. We used to drive with maps on our laps.
I'm like you. I don't have GPS or Directions on my phone. Somehow, I have always had the ability to read a map and visualize where I need to go. Some of this comes from reading a lot of maps when I was young, having an interest in geography and how things were connected, and having a map or Atlas in the back seat when my Dad was driving us on vacation and following his driving route.
One reason I wouldn't want to rely on GPS, is that there have been situations where GPS has led people off the end of the road, off a hill or cliff, or into a Lake. I would rather rely on my thought processes and instincts.

Reactions: 76-1

When I get the privilege of making sweet love to my wife in 2020, it will be the fifth decade I have done so. That's kind of cool when I think about it. From the 80's till now sweeeeeeeet joy.

Um... ok.
You have to know something. We Christians enjoy sex too. In fact one of the teachings from Martin Luther was that sex was not dirty when in the confines of marriage. The Roman Catholic Church during the Middle Ages taught that sex was only for procreation. If a married couple enjoyed it then they were sinning. Some of joked that the reason why the Protestant Movement grew so much was more because of the teachings about sex than about justification by faith alone. lol

When I get the privilege of making sweet love to my wife in 2020, it will be the fifth decade I have done so. That's kind of cool when I think about it. From the 80's till now sweeeeeeeet joy.

You have to know something. We Christians enjoy sex too. In fact one of the teachings from Martin Luther was that sex was not dirty when in the confines of marriage. The Roman Catholic Church during the Middle Ages taught that sex was only for procreation. If a married couple enjoyed it then they were sinning. Some of joked that the reason why the Protestant Movement grew so much was more because of the teachings about sex than about justification by faith alone. lol

giphy.gif

Dude, i can't imagine how frustrated and bound up she is, but you need to STFU and quit with the over share. No one wants to hear about your gross ass Amish sex .. okay..

I'm like you. I don't have GPS or Directions on my phone. Somehow, I have always had the ability to read a map and visualize where I need to go. Some of this comes from reading a lot of maps when I was young, having an interest in geography and how things were connected, and having a map or Atlas in the back seat when my Dad was driving us on vacation and following his driving route.
One reason I wouldn't want to rely on GPS, is that there have been situations where GPS has led people off the end of the road, off a hill or cliff, or into a Lake. I would rather rely on my thought processes and instincts.
How does your phone not have gps on it?

Dude. F&cking. Stop.

Reactions: kkott and cryano
Dude. F&cking. Stop.

gifs-to-have-sex-by-Christian-Petersen.gif

Wow, congratulations! It will be only four decades for me.

With your wife, that is...
:p
Two things. In your dreams, and if you were so lucky. In no way am I putting anyone down who is in a bad relationship. It's just that she makes me feel lucky, like I won the lottery. I'm very thankful for the woman God has given me.

Last edited:
How does your phone not have gps on it?
If my phone has GPS app or capability, i am not aware of it. I have an old style "flip Phone" and actually use my cell phone as a phone, not a toy or entertainment resource. I have message recording, and text capability, although I don't use text to reply. I'm an old Fart who grew up with a phone in the House that had a Party Line, not an exclusive use line. I have a phone to use as a phone and don't need a phone that whistles Dixie, or stands on end and spits nickels.

If my phone has GPS app or capability, i am not aware of it. I have an old style "flip Phone" and actually use my cell phone as a phone, not a toy or entertainment resource. I have message recording, and text capability, although I don't use text to reply. I'm an old Fart who grew up with a phone in the House that had a Party Line, not an exclusive use line. I have a phone to use as a phone and don't need a phone that whistles Dixie, or stands on end and spits nickels.

Phone calls are a waste of time they should only be used for the most important of matters where text or email doesn't suffice.. I hate you people, you interrupt my life with petty piddly shit, when you could just text. It's why I never answer the phone .. leave a message, I'll get to you later .. maybe.

Fking Luddites ....

I was born on the cusp of Boomer>Gen x one year plus after the boom ended.... and remember what Boomers said about Gen X. Much the same as Gen X says about Millenials ..talked to my uncle, who said the Greatest Generation said the same shit about Boomers .. and I suspect the Depression generation said the same of the "Greatest" ...

This goes back to Plato.... it's just societal progression due to technology and changing social norms. Every generation has it easier and are lazier because we the parents want their lives to be easier than ours was and civilization progresses. Personally I'm glad I'm not working the fields 14 hours a day as a farmer and using a rotary phone and paper maps or worst of all my directional memory. I have horrible direction sense .

And, I think you'll understand this.. I love my tuner. When I started playing you had to do that shit by ear.. now I can just look down and see it or better yet add an auto tuner to my rig. (I would never do that) Do you know how long it used to take me to restring and tune a 12 string? An hour +. With a tuner.. 20 minutes. With my winder added.. 10.

I still have Luddites tell me a tuner is cheating, while they play out of tune ... I do know kids who can't tune by ear worth a shit, but you know what, they're actually in tune because they use a tuner.. that counts for something.

Kids these days and their Pro Tools .. back in my day you had to pay a studio per hour to record. Now you can sit at home on your ass and don't even need a band or an instrument..

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
I was born on the cusp of Boomer>Gen x one year plus after the boom ended.... and remember what Boomers said about Gen X. Much the same as Gen X says about Millenials ..talked to my uncle, who said the Greatest Generation said the same shit about Boomers .. and I suspect the Depression generation said the same of the "Greatest" ...

This goes back to Plato.... it's just societal progression due to technology and changing social norms. Every generation has it easier and are lazier because we the parents want their lives to be easier than ours was and civilization progresses. Personally I'm glad I'm not working the fields 14 hours a day as a farmer and using a rotary phone and paper maps or worst of all my directional memory. I have horrible direction sense .

And, I think you'll understand this.. I love my tuner. When I started playing you had to do that shit by ear.. now I can just look down and see it or better yet add an auto tuner to my rig. (I would never do that) Do you know how long it used to take me to restring and tune a 12 string? An hour + With a tuner.. 20 minutes. With my winder added.. 10.

I still have Luddites tell me a tuner is cheating, while they play out of tune ... I do know kids who can't tune by ear worth a shit, but you know what, they're actually in tune because they use a tuner.. that counts for something.

Kids these days and their Pro Tools .. back in my day you had to pay a studio per hour to record. Now you can sit at home on your ass and don't even need a band or an instrument..

I remind me of my Jackson Heights room-mate who was a Jacobs' Voice graduate. His dad was a Cantor at a Chicago synagogue who sang in films like Fiddle of the Roof etc.
I remember his dad telling me a story of his dad (my mate's grand-dad) who used to tell him to stop listening to that shit on the radio -- the likes Benny Goodman and listen to some proper music ie classical and opera.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Phone calls are a waste of time they should only be used for the most important of matters where text or email doesn't suffice.. I hate you people, you interrupt my life with petty piddly shit, when you could just text. It's why I never answer the phone .. leave a message, I'll get to you later .. maybe.

Fking Luddites ....

Over here, I only see you only see old people and foreign workers speaking on the phones in public like in subways etc. Its an extroverted, community need. They need to constantly feel connected with their peeps or they are lost.

It goes back to life's basic passages of seeking identity, community and purpose. When young, you tend to externalise that process ie. your identity, community and purpose are shaped external factors ie town of birth, college, institutionalised religion etc.

But as you mature, you need to start to internalise it within yourself on seeking identity, community and purpose. Its like an hourglass. First the external factors shape you but later you internalise it.

However, many don't and so they are left with depending on their connectivity with their 'community' and thus the constant need for keeping in-touch. You see it in the WC, many fervently and blindly defending their tribe -- otherwise they are lost since it (externally) defines their identity, the community even deep into their adult life.
Or folks here (and many are even granddads) who are obsessed with what 17y.o potential recruits say or do and even more ridiculous is when the kids reject an IU's offer... their comments/reactions reflect a personal rejection too.

I was just talking to my neighbours kids -- 16 and 18. We were talking about their dad who constantly needs to do externally community activities with his peeps. The 16y.o said that his dad would be lost with them.

Its an interesting juncture we are living. Internet Immigrants like most of us here will slowly fade away in dust. The Natives will have quite a different sense of who they are.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT