ADVERTISEMENT

The Demise of the Kickoff...

IUCol

Junior
Nov 11, 2017
Wow...the game will never look the same. The NCAA changed the KO rule so that a player can receive a KO anywhere inside the 25 YL and still fair catch it and have it put on the 25 YL. The idea being to get fans used to the idea of the game without KOs. I understand why...but it just wont be the same. What do you think?

I understand the concern about injuries and kick offs but I have a better solution. Kick off from the 35yd line with the KO team minus the kicker on the 50 yd line. The KO team on the 50 yd line will be set off by an official after the ball is caught therefore a long run up until blockers make contact is eliminated. It could make the return game more exciting with less threat of injury by hits following a long build up of speed by tacklers. I doubt my idea gains ground as the powers seem to be wanting to eliminate the KO instead of making it safer.

So they did it, huh? Knew they were considering it but, yeah, it is a huge change. The only game I'm sure I won't be sorry about the change is against tOSU. They were great at getting serious kickoff hang time and having you make the catch at your three yard line next to the right sidelines. Can't imagine Urban is very happy about this change.

Reactions: 76-1
I understand the concern about injuries and kick offs but I have a better solution. Kick off from the 35yd line with the KO team minus the kicker on the 50 yd line. The KO team on the 50 yd line will be set off by an official after the ball is caught therefore a long run up until blockers make contact is eliminated. It could make the return game more exciting with less threat of injury by hits following a long build up of speed by tacklers. I doubt my idea gains ground as the powers seem to be wanting to eliminate the KO instead of making it safer.
If I'm understanding your proposal change correctly, having the 10 other special teamers 15 yards in front of the kicker would all but eliminate any onside kick. Can't see this one happening.

My solution is retain the rule they just added and to limit kickoffs to the start of halves...; the rest of the time giving the receiving team the ball on the 25.

That would cut down on at least a few injuries and there'd still be one shot at an onside kick in the 2nd half..., while retaining some the historical flavor of the game...

There would still be punt returns to provide the thrills of a dramatic run back. I don't know how you'd get rid of the punt unless you just made everyone go for it on fourth...

I think what they have done is fine. It will dramatically reduce returns but still leave the door open for late game comebacks via return game and onside kick.

Not sure the actual stats but we did lose Westbrook on opening kickoff last year, so maybe there would be less injuries.

But if give other team ball on 25 then bye bye onside kick opportunities?

If they do just this suggestion, I suggest we onside kick EVERY TIME! :D:D

i'm all for safer.

on top of which, one of my pet peeves is guys trying to return kicks from several yrds deep in the end zone, and needing a miracle return just to get back to the 25. (same complaint with the Colts as well).

got to the point where i was yelling at the tv every kickoff, for the guy to just take the touch back and take it on the 25.

got to catch it first though, if not in the end zone.

pet peeve #2, the backwards pass. (should be an automatic $10,000 fine for any offensive coordinator).

pet peeve #3, any punt that hits the ground.

i have no problem with dual punt returners, just like with kickoffs, if it means no punt ever hits the ground. (even 3 punt returners, if that's what it takes).

fair catching virtually everything but a line drive is fine with me.

never kept stats, but seems like teams lose a lot more yardage on punts that hit the ground and bounce, than they ever make up for in punt returns.

My solution is retain the rule they just added and to limit kickoffs to the start of halves...; the rest of the time giving the receiving team the ball on the 25.

That would cut down on at least a few injuries and there'd still be one shot at an onside kick in the 2nd half..., while retaining some the historical flavor of the game...

There would still be punt returns to provide the thrills of a dramatic run back. I don't know how you'd get rid of the punt unless you just made everyone go for it on fourth...
I agree with this. It would speed the game up after scores. There would still be TV breaks after a score, but the other team would already have the ball and ready to play after the time out. An exception could be made in the 4th quarter to allow on-side kicks. I would hate to lose that part of the game. Maybe allow kick offs in the last 5 minutes with the ball being placed at midfield for any recovered onside kick recovered by the receiving team.

My opinion probably means very little but there should always be some kind of a kickoff. The element of surprise for an onside kick should always be an option. As for safety concern changes, I don't see where anything needs tweaked. This is football, not playground two hand touch. Coaching and smarter play would help reduce the injury factor. Teach and demand players what is and isn't a good football play concerning deep kickoffs. Taking a knee or letting the ball go through the end zone is an easy concept if there are certain guidelines set forth by the special team coaches.

Last edited:
Good rule change for us.

No reason not to boot it as hard as you can into the end zone now, unless there's a crazy-good returner on the other team.

Wow...the game will never look the same. The NCAA changed the KO rule so that a player can receive a KO anywhere inside the 25 YL and still fair catch it and have it put on the 25 YL. The idea being to get fans used to the idea of the game without KOs. I understand why...but it just wont be the same. What do you think?
I think taking away kickoffs is dumb. These people can't see the forest for the trees. Running down the field is no more dangerous than a RB taking a handoff and hitting the hole at 20+ mph (Ramsey and Ellison both hit 22 mph this spring from handoff to hole). I think a better title for your post is the demise of the proper tackling techniques that continue to get guys concussed. If you use proper form, you rarely get a concussion. The answer is property technique vs eliminating areas of the game.

Reactions: ESalum86
I think taking away kickoffs is dumb. These people can't see the forest for the trees. Running down the field is no more dangerous than a RB taking a handoff and hitting the hole at 20+ mph (Ramsey and Ellison both hit 22 mph this spring from handoff to hole). I think a better title for your post is the demise of the proper tackling techniques that continue to get guys concussed. If you use proper form, you rarely get a concussion. The answer is property technique vs eliminating areas of the game.

I don't know the stats on this, so I may well be wrong, but it's always been my personal impression that most of the injuries that occur on kickoffs happened to the would be tacklers and the would be blockers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT