ADVERTISEMENT

The curious case of De'Ron Davis

I'd be happy if the combination of Davis and Brunk could produce 15+ ppg and 8+ rpg.

If they each can produce their sophomore season stats (Davis - 9.6/4.3, Brunk - 7.6/3.6 each playing ~19mpg) that would be 17ppg and 8rpg. So it's possible.
exactly. the 2 together might make 1 decent big 10 center. and that wouldn't be bad.

Reactions: ufo33
7/3 on likely less minutes as a Sophomore at Butler. So you don't think that an older, stronger, more experienced Joey Brunk will not contribute more than 7/3 with more minutes at IU as an upperclassman now, as a Junior and Senior? Some people think Justin Smith is going to exolode as a Junior, why can't Brunk be productive as a Junior and Senior at IU?

I don't think Smith is going to explode, nor do I think Brunk is going to give us any more than he gave Butler last year. I hope I'm wrong. But based on his inability to do anything in that short 8 min scrimmage against Thompson and TJD, I'm not very hopeful.

I was hopeful that he'd knock down 1 or 2 threes a game. Learned my lesson on that.

Miller's offense was completely ineffective for Fitzner's abilities and the kid lost his confidence. He can shoot in a spread floor offense. He was terrible in Miller's system.
Count it as a major recruiting miss.

I don't think Smith is going to explode, nor do I think Brunk is going to give us any more than he gave Butler last year. I hope I'm wrong. But based on his inability to do anything in that short 8 min scrimmage against Thompson and TJD, I'm not very hopeful.
Joey had a nice basket in the scrimmage. Not bad in a game with a score of 15 - 9. I expect Davis/Brunk to take turns as the more effective low post player. TJD and Thompson are additional options Archie can go to.

Joey had a nice basket in the scrimmage. Not bad in a game with a score of 15 - 9. I expect Davis/Brunk to take turns as the more effective low post player. TJD and Thompson are additional options Archie can go to.
These might be the 6 most important words for the upcoming season.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
These might be the 6 most important words for the upcoming season.
Archie can go big or small with 4 out. Either way, I look forward to seeing the new players and what they can do. I'm also interested to how players like Durham, Thompson and others will play together with this new roster.

It is interesting that with 11 players, we have more options than we had with 13. This roster feels like a new team where almost everyone is expected to play or has a role.

Reactions: TommyCracker
It is interesting that with 11 players, we have more options than we had with 13. This roster feels like a new team where almost everyone is expected to play or has a role.
Less can often be more. Certainly true here.

Has that guy ever been in shape or healthy ?
I see guy's still post like he has game ? He's never had game imo.A waste of a productive scholarship .5pts/ 3rpg..For his time in Bloomington..Caleb Furst right now would make him look bad..

If Davis is underneath the basket and he has to reach down to grab the ball by his feet, a defender at the top of the key can still contest the shot

And he also had his shot blocked by RT and TJD, in addition to having a hard time catching a ball in traffic. He'll probably give us the same numbers this year that he gave Butler last year, while playing a few more minutes. He's not going to suddenly become a force down low like some seem to he will. That's all I'm saying.

And he also had his shot blocked by RT and TJD, in addition to having a hard time catching a ball in traffic. He'll probably give us the same numbers this year that he gave Butler last year, while playing a few more minutes. He's not going to suddenly become a force down low like some seem to he will. That's all I'm saying.
Good for Race and TJD!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

If he is starting and playing more than 25 minutes a game, hell probably 20, we are in big trouble.

In an ideal world he plays 10-15 mins a game off the bench, DD gets 20 mins a game, and we play about 5-10 minutes with TJD and a small line up.

Of course I assume 1/2 the games DD will be in active due to injuries.

If he is starting and playing more than 25 minutes a game, hell probably 20, we are in big trouble.

In an ideal world he plays 10-15 mins a game off the bench, DD gets 20 mins a game, and we play about 5-10 minutes with TJD and a small line up.

Of course I assume 1/2 the games DD will be in active due to injuries.
That's the genesis of my more minutes comment. I fear that DD will continue to miss time due to injury. It's a shame, because he's got a good post game, despite the fact that he's slow footed.

Reactions: Cavanagh.6
Has that guy ever been in shape or healthy ?
I see guy's still post like he has game ? He's never had game imo.A waste of a productive scholarship .5pts/ 3rpg..For his time in Bloomington..Caleb Furst right now would make him look bad..
Hopefully, Davis will have a good impact this season. The fans in Denver
will be proud also. Colorado Buffaloes coach Tad Boyle passed on him.

Hopefully, Davis will have a good impact this season. The fans in Denver
will be proud also. Colorado Buffaloes coach Tad Boyle passed on him.

Who were we up against in his recruitment I forget. I remember watching him commit and saying he needs to get back in the gym to his sister or friend 10 minutes after he committed.

Joey Brunk was a huge recruit in the off-season! Brunk will likely start and play every game. Save DeRon with his injury track record for the big B1G games and the Post-Season.

Reactions: birdforbogey

Im going to go out on a limb and say Justin Smith finds his role in the offense. He has to length and athleticism for defense and of he works with what the offense gives him I'll be the first one to tell the naysayers to Eat an enormous bag

Im going to go out on a limb and say Justin Smith finds his role in the offense. He has to length and athleticism for defense and of he works with what the offense gives him I'll be the first one to tell the naysayers to Eat an enormous bag
I hope you are right. I will root for Smith to succeed. I hope he has reconstructed his perimeter shot and his FT shot.

I hope you are right. I will root for Smith to succeed. I hope he has reconstructed his perimeter shot and his FT shot.

We need him to slash the wing and get others open. I agree about ball handling but we should have two capable guards he can kick to as well as TJD.

Who were we up against in his recruitment I forget. I remember watching him commit and saying he needs to get back in the gym to his sister or friend 10 minutes after he committed.
For some reason he wasn't sought highly after, Miss State got close to
inking him. The home team Colorado Buffaloes wasn't interested at all
if they were it wouldn't been any probably.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT