ADVERTISEMENT

The curious case of De'Ron Davis

Hatchets7times

All-Big Ten
Dec 28, 2015
Has that guy ever been in shape or healthy ?
I see guy's still post like he has game ? He's never had game imo.A waste of a productive scholarship .5pts/ 3rpg..For his time in Bloomington..Caleb Furst right now would make him look bad..

I see guy's still post like he has game ? He's never had game imo.A waste of a productive scholarship .5pts/ 3rpg..For his time in Bloomington..Caleb Furst right now would make him look bad..
Davis is a good player and i fully ecpect him to be a big time producer this year. You are a negative nelly who must listen to goth music.

His issue is just staying healthy. When he is on the floor he produces.

Laughable...Until he goes for 16 & 8 more than three games..Come back to me.
VanPasterMan I usually respect your views.
But look at the stats...Those are pathetic..
You know the best ability anyone has. Is availability.
He has been a no show so far .
I'd love for him to prove me wrong..I'll be the first to say ..Hey look at De'Ron he's tearing it up !
bailey777..I've been watching and going since Scott May played..

I'd love for him to prove me wrong..I'll be the first to say ..Hey look at De'Ron he's tearing it up !
He won’t ever go 16 and 8 because he hasn’t been healthy enough to play that many minutes. Brunk and davis splitting game should get us solid production

dumb

16 & 8? He was a 10 & 5 player in 15 games before going down with his Achilles injury. That would be the limit of my expectations for him based on the minutes he is likely to play.

Your 5 point production numbers come from his freshman year and last year when he was rarely healthy enough to play or not able to play due to conditioning issues recovering from his Achilles and other injuries.

I suggest you relax and wait for the season to start before panicking..

He has been injury prone, but when we got him I believe he was a top 50 recruit. Do you have a magic ball that will tell us which players will stay injury-free and meet/exceed expectations? If so, will you share it with the coaching staff please?

DD has proven he has game, and I thought was our best post defender even last year when he was still injured or recovering from injury. I am hoping for his sake he has an injury free senior year; seems he deserves that, but there's no doubt he was worthy of a scholly at the time and you're just being a Monday morning QB.

I stand by it all .
Until proven otherwise.
I'll gladly eat crow.
If he play's 30 + games and puts up just 12 & 7..
That's a low low bar for a 6'10 250 lb.top 50 recruit.

I agree. He will be a backup center who can score this year? He can't play long minutes. Thank goodness Brunk transferred.

I stand by it all .
Until proven otherwise.
I'll gladly eat crow.

there's nothing to stand by... you're Monday morning quaterbacking in the worst way, and picking on a kid who came to IU under Crean, and stayed with our new Coach and I think gave it his all in coming back last year, when I felt it was clear he wasn't 100%. Yes, given his history of injuries, it's easy to say now he's been a disappointment, but that's how it goes sometimes. I want a program who stands by their kids if they are doing what's asked of them, despite injury. So tell us in advance, which top 50 kids you don't want at IU: Lander, Furst, Garcia, Kaufman, et al?

I think he'll get back to his sophomore level of production (before the injury, obviously). 20mpg, 10ppg, 5rpg. He a senior but that injury was a huge setback for his development.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
You guys are all nuts on Deron. His legs have been failing him since HS in Colorado. He just is a big dude with legs that can’t support him. He will always be tweaking something or playing hurt. Ankles knees you name it, it’s gonna fail him.

His low post moves are built for his body. Nothing above the rim, but great fakes and uses his body to his advantage. Not the quickest steps but usually solid footwork. Able to position himself for easy buckets is his strength. He will be stronger and outweigh almost everyone he plays against this year. 33 year old man down low! In all seriousness he is a year older than TB and OG, think about that for a second.

DD also loves Indiana. My man said oh I’m not transferring before Archie was even a thought. He genuinely loves college, and I would be the same way if I was him. He can walk around in a tie die wife beater and some shades and everyone in Bloomington loves him.

10-5 would be great from my man this year. Needs that load management!

Davis is a low energy, skilled big man. Archie tried to transform him into a complete player and pushed him to the point of injuries. Now he knows what Davis is and is not. He is a role player.

DeRon will likely be a back-up center to Joey Brunk. (When he's not injured)

Last edited:
I stand by it all .
Until proven otherwise.
I'll gladly eat crow.
I am glad you backed away from the 16 & 8 standard you placed on Davis. 12 & 7 is a good number for any of our starting front court players if they play a majority of the minutes. I could see 4 front court players with any of them averaging between 8 -12 points. It won't diminish the importance of any of them if they are the lowest of the 4.

Hey ..
I'm all for De'Ron !..Just wish he was athletic like Jalen Smith ( Maryland)..
Guess we'll see ..Long season.

Hey ..
I'm all for De'Ron !..Just wish he was athletic like Jalen Smith ( Maryland)..
Guess we'll see ..Long season.
If he was anywhere near as athletic as smith he would have left two years ago as a lottery pick.

Brunks numbers will be higher at IU.
I don't know for certain that will happen. Of course I hope it's true. I also hope that Brunk and Deron Davis together would have the stats of a very good player. Remember when the Bulls would have three guys who would play center? You had Bill Cartwright, Will Perdue, and Stacy King. Together they made a pretty good center.

I know little about Brunk as I did not watch him at Butler last year. But what makes you think his numbers will be higher at IU?
Brunk will play more minutes at IU.
DeRon is already injured.
Hopefully DeRon can play a full season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hatchets7times
he can be productive as long as he doesn't stray more than 5 feet from the basket. more than that, forget it.

I stand by it all .
Until proven otherwise.
I'll gladly eat crow.

..very few players average 7 rebounds a game, and certainly not a 20-24 mpg player. Check the B1G rebounding leaders last year- only 9 players averaged 7 or more rpg. If DD can give IU 8 and 4 this year, it is solid. Brunk will do the same.

People who think that Brunk (7/3 on 18 min last year in the Big East) is going to suddenly be a star in the BIG are in for a long year. I'd be ecstatic if he duplicated his Butler #s here.

People who think that Brunk (7/3 on 18 min last year in the Big East) is going to suddenly be a star in the BIG are in for a long year. I'd be ecstatic if he duplicated his Butler #s here.
7/3 on likely less minutes as a Sophomore at Butler. So you don't think that an older, stronger, more experienced Joey Brunk will not contribute more than 7/3 with more minutes at IU as an upperclassman now, as a Junior and Senior? Some people think Justin Smith is going to exolode as a Junior, why can't Brunk be productive as a Junior and Senior at IU?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
7/3 on likely less minutes as a Sophomore at Butler. So you don't think that an older, stronger, more experienced Joey Brunk will not contribute more than 7/3 with more minutes at IU as an upperclassman now, as a Junior and Senior? Some people think Justin Smith is going to exolode as a Junior, why can't Brunk be productive as a Junior and Senior at IU?

After watching Fitzner in action at Hoosier Hysteria I will upgrade my prediction of Fitzner's impact on this year's IU team. He can flat out shoot the 3 ball. Fitzner may be one if the best perimeter shooters on the team along with Romeo and Damezi Anderson.

Fitzner has been even better than advertised. A taller Beifelt, with rebounding and shot blocking ability. A very good catch and shoot stretch 4.

I'd be happy if the combination of Davis and Brunk could produce 15+ ppg and 8+ rpg.

If they each can produce their sophomore season stats (Davis - 9.6/4.3, Brunk - 7.6/3.6 each playing ~19mpg) that would be 17ppg and 8rpg. So it's possible.

I'd be happy if the combination of Davis and Brunk could produce 15+ ppg and 8+ rpg.

If they each can produce their sophomore season stats (Davis - 9.6/4.3, Brunk - 7.6/3.6 each playing ~19mpg) that would be 17ppg and 8rpg. So it's possible.

Davis is fully capable of 12/ 5 on his own if he can play 25 minutes a game.

But he can't.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT