ADVERTISEMENT

The Apathy should do him in

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Pictures of the crowd today at kickoff are about as clear a sign that it’s time to make a change as the losses are.

IU fans have never followed football as well as Purdue. But the contrast in our crowds in recent weeks is striking. They sell out for their 3 win team. We look like a Saturday morning JV game for ours.

There’s nothing to be excited about any more. I’m sure it doesn’t completely pencil out, but what’s the financial impact of another year of half to less than half filled Memorial Stadiums, less concessions, less apparel sales…no bowls??

I’m not sure it even matters any more if IU cares whether or not football is good. It’s getting close to being a good financial decision to let him go.

the apathy has done me in. handwriting was on the wall by half and I left......

I won't apologize for it either.

and there were far more people there than I expected

Reactions: vesuvius13
Purdue has had far more success in the Big Ten than we have.

No surprise that they have more fans than us.

Well that and the fact they have a brand new coach while IU has a clown that is in his 7TH SEASON. They still have hope.
Our reality is apathy + lame duck coach + predictable play = empty stadium.

When Hazell was up there, they saw some pathetic crowds late in the season.
IU even closed all the local concessions today because they knew it was going to be a high school crowd today.

Pictures of the crowd today at kickoff are about as clear a sign that it’s time to make a change as the losses are.

IU fans have never followed football as well as Purdue. But the contrast in our crowds in recent weeks is striking. They sell out for their 3 win team. We look like a Saturday morning JV game for ours.

There’s nothing to be excited about any more. I’m sure it doesn’t completely pencil out, but what’s the financial impact of another year of half to less than half filled Memorial Stadiums, less concessions, less apparel sales…no bowls??

I’m not sure it even matters any more if IU cares whether or not football is good. It’s getting close to being a good financial decision to let him go.
Someone around here should do the math on that. Shouldn’t be all that hard to figure out the cost of keeping him vs the cost of payout.

Someone around here should do the math on that. Shouldn’t be all that hard to figure out the cost of keeping him vs the cost of payout.
Might be difficult and you would need inside numbers.
Parking, concessions, jersey sales for sure. But what about commercial prices for the radio and tv broadcasts? If more people listen or watch then commercials go up and Iu can charge more for the right to carry the games. Would donations increase?
Are there shoe or equipment contracts like basketball?
Bottom line to me is a winning program will make more money than a losing program.

Might be difficult and you would need inside numbers.
Parking, concessions, jersey sales for sure. But what about commercial prices for the radio and tv broadcasts? If more people listen or watch then commercials go up and Iu can charge more for the right to carry the games. Would donations increase?
Are there shoe or equipment contracts like basketball?
Bottom line to me is a winning program will make more money than a losing program.
Poor performance
Apathy
NIL issues
Pressures from the new expansion dynamics

I just don’t see how the above things don’t end up holding more weight than the buyout, at this point.

Poor performance
Apathy
NIL issues
Pressures from the new expansion dynamics

I just don’t see how the above things don’t end up holding more weight than the buyout, at this point.
Hope you are right.
You have to fire Allen before you reach out to other coaches to see if they would like to interview. Being able to start the process by December 1 would be good.
I wonder who we would look at?

Hope you are right.
You have to fire Allen before you reach out to other coaches to see if they would like to interview. Being able to start the process by December 1 would be good.
Creighton, Helton, Candle would likely be on the list

Hope you are right.

Essentially, there will be 4 teams with vacancies in: Harbaugh (back to NFL), MSU (they won’t eff around), UCLA (Chip gets run out of town), IU (comes to a negotiated agreement).
Will be interesting seeing some new faces in the league. The conference needs change. Allen. Will go off and be an analyst or position and walk away with $12 million. Looking forward to it.

Attaboy. Wait until they win - that's what real fans do.
So we moved to Bloomington seven years ago and that makes it really convenient for us to attend games. If we still lived up in Michiana, I seriously doubt that we'd be investing in those $1k football weekends.

As bad as IU is, we've still been to 4 home games this season despite the fact that we stopped renewing our season tickets last year. We get our tickets on Vivid Seats and if we wait until Friday night or Saturday morning, we get really prime seats for $20 -$25 ea. So, the fact that it's so convenient and so cheap makes it still ok for us to attend pretty regularly.

If we still lived up North, and there were no regime change made before next season, I'm sure our IU Football experience would be exclusively on the couch watching BTN. If I were still up there, I wouldn't necessarily need to wait for them to win to attend. All I'd need is to see a willingness by the AD, President, and BOT to be better. It's time.

Last edited:
Hope you are right.

Yes, good question. Who would come to Indiana? Great college town but we have a pretty serious football jinx and EVERYONE knows it. For a good prospect, it might be APBI...any place but Indiana.

I have said before what "good or better" coach would want to come to this mess. Look at IU football history , the support from the administration and the fans versus the basketball program. Yes there has been money spent on the stadium etc but with UCLA, USC, Oregon and Washington coming in IU falls farther down the quality football programs in this conference. I would love to have the program turn around and hope their is a football Coach Knight out there for IU.

I think Jerry Kill would leave Las Cruces NM for a chance to return to the Big Ten conference. In any case the end of the completely unbalanced east and west divisions makes IU job a bit more enticing

Reactions: IUgradman and td75
Yes, good question. Who would come to Indiana? Great college town but we have a pretty serious football jinx and EVERYONE knows it. For a good prospect, it might be APBI...any place but Indiana.

Kansas got a good coach and they were probably even worse than IU.
Rutgers was able to rehire their old coach. They were the pits.
Purdue hired Brohm after the gloriously inept run of Hazell.

There’s always guys out there willing to take the job.

IU has to be serious though. The conference demands that its football programs keep up now more than ever before.
If this is all too much money for IU, maybe they should live within their means elsewhere?
I think IU fans are actually craving a decent football program. The apathy is there now only because of the current clown fest. When IU goes to bowls, its fans do attend.
Every new coach bring excitement and if Allen is retained, the attendance yesterday will look like a damn sellout compared to next year’s games. Optics matter and Dolson and Whitten know the damage keeping this guy does for the university….if they see the big picture.

Unfortunately, this is Dolson's job and I don't Trust Him to do it well. The Math is at what point does the projected loss of ticket revenue, concession, parking, and merchandising revenue exceed the amount needed to execute the buyout. Consider the other factors You cab't quantify such as loss of publicity and image and inability to raise NIL Money, and pull the trigger.

The family and I had planned on going to the game yesterday. It's a decent drive from Western Kentucky but we enjoy it. Having lost to Illinois last weekend and being eliminated from bowl game contention, put the brakes on that idea.

What is the point of spending hundreds of dollars on a poorly coached product? I believe it is far more a coaching problem than a talent problem, but that's a conversation for a different thread.

So we moved to Bloomington seven years ago and that makes it really convenient for us to attend games. If we still lived up in Michiana, I seriously doubt that we'd be investing in those $1k football weekends.

As bad as IU is, we've still been to 4 home games this season despite the fact that we stopped renewing our season tickets last year. We get our tickets on Vivid Seats and if we wait until Friday night or Saturday morning, we get really prime seats for $20 -$25 ea. So, the fact that it's so convenient and so cheap makes it still ok for us to attend pretty regularly.

If we still lived up North, and there were no regime change made before next season, I'm sure our IU Football experience would be exclusively on the couch watching BTN. If I were still up there, I wouldn't necessarily need to wait for them to win to attend. All I'd need is to see a willingness by the AD, President, and BOT to be better. It's time.
I live in Charlotte, NC and have missed 1 home game this year. Would it have made it easier to justify if we had a decent year? Of course.

If you're a fan, you at least try to make some games. You don't say "I won't go to games until they fire Allen" Or "until we win". Or make it conditional. If you make it conditional, you're a 'conditional' fan.

The family and I had planned on going to the game yesterday. It's a decent drive from Western Kentucky but we enjoy it. Having lost to Illinois last weekend and being eliminated from bowl game contention, put the brakes on that idea.

What is the point of spending hundreds of dollars on a poorly coached product? I believe it is far more a coaching problem than a talent problem, but that's a conversation for a different thread.
We made the drive from South Bend to Bloomington for nearly every home game after CKW was hired. I felt encouraged by the offensive improvement year over year. I always felt that he'd hit a point where IU had a defense that was good enough to get the opponents offense off the field at least a few times every game and that would be enough.
I live in Charlotte, NC and have missed 1 home game this year. Would it have made it easier to justify if we had a decent year? Of course.

If you're a fan, you at least try to make some games. You don't say "I won't go to games until they fire Allen" Or "until we win". Or make it conditional. If you make it conditional, you're a 'conditional' fan.
I guess I see what you're saying so in the spirit of what you're saying, I guess in my 56th year of IU fandom (began at 8 years old with the RoseBowl) maybe it's becoming conditional.

I love IU athletics, across the board. Like I said above, we live here now so it's not much of an investment of time or money for us to attend. IF it required us spending a weekend and the usual $1k plus spent on that weekend to attend, at this point, we'd likely opt for a weekend trip where our enjoyment of our time there is somewhat "guaranteed". Someone else posted here a while back that he was all set to do the football weekend thing and decided that his family would probably more enjoy a Cedar Point weekend.

We were at the Wisconsin game a few weeks back and we had quite few Badger fans sitting near us. I'm thinking back in what their facial expressions and body language looked like as they left the stadium and my wife commented "that's what we likely look like pretty much every week".

If I'm a conditional fan, my apologies. Really all I want is a feeling that there's the desire to make things better on the part of IU.

Reactions: bang63
We made the drive from South Bend to Bloomington for nearly every home game after CKW was hired. I felt encouraged by the offensive improvement year over year. I always felt that he'd hit a point where IU had a defense that was good enough to get the opponents offense off the field at least a few times every game and that would be enough.

I guess I see what you're saying so in the spirit of what you're saying, I guess in my 56th year of IU fandom (began at 8 years old with the RoseBowl) maybe it's becoming conditional.

I love IU athletics, across the board. Like I said above, we live here now so it's not much of an investment of time or money for us to attend. IF it required us spending a weekend and the usual $1k plus spent on that weekend to attend, at this point, we'd likely opt for a weekend trip where our enjoyment of our time there is somewhat "guaranteed". Someone else posted here a while back that he was all set to do the football weekend thing and decided that his family would probably more enjoy a Cedar Point weekend.

We were at the Wisconsin game a few weeks back and we had quite few Badger fans sitting near us. I'm thinking back in what their facial expressions and body language looked like as they left the stadium and my wife commented "that's what we likely look like pretty much every week".

If I'm a conditional fan, my apologies. Really all I want is a feeling that there's the desire to make things better on the part of IU.
I wasn't slamming your - or at least I didn't intend to. You're obviously a long-time fan and have suffered through some horrendous years.

I just get tired of the "I'm not coming back until..... (fill in the blank)". I'm frustrated, too, but I can't imagine a situation where I don't keep coming back to games.

Color me conditional. Can’t get the gf fired up enough to make the 40 minute drive from Greenwood. After decades of attending and feeling duped at the end of darn near every weekend, I’ve lost some of my love. Damn shame really.
Leave her home. lol

I'm going to lobby for a section of fans that will go to games but their friends and significant others don't want to go with them.

We can call it the Lonely Hearts section.

Leave her home. lol

I'm going to lobby for a section of fans that will go to games but their friends and significant others don't want to go with them.

You rang. My wife has a Purdue Bachelor and Illinois Masters. She will not go to Bloomington

Financially it may make sense to shut down the program and convert the stadium into a paid parking garage with a shuttle that runs downtown and the south side of campus.

All we need to do is look at the OL this year compared to past years with Hiller. IU didn't get more talent in but the OL played better with a freshman in at LT.

All we need to do is look at the OL this year compared to past years with Hiller. IU didn't get more talent in but the OL played better with a freshman in at LT.
Oh I think this team should've won 7 games, minimum of 6. He simply isn't getting it out of them.

They've lost the last two games by three points apiece, I believe it is. Very, very close, but no cigar.

Oh I think this team should've won 7 games, minimum of 6. He simply isn't getting it out of them.

They've lost the last two games by three points apiece, I believe it is. Very, very close, but no cigar.
One could argue that they lost to Illinois by one point (i.e. avoided overtime), and they lost to MSU by a missed holding call, a missed DPI, and an "unintentional" intentional grounding call. IF Indiana's bowl eligibility were ruined by those calls, I'd still be angry - and I'd hope CTA would have forfeited his place on the sideline this weekend by bitching loudly to the Big Ten and anyone who would listen. But, it didn't really matter. And as my dad used to tell me every time I used the word IF: IF the dog hadn't stopped to pee, he would have caught the rabbit.

Leave her home. lol

I’m not above that, but I’d lose my DD. 😂 With the way nearly all of our games go, I can’t imagine not drinking.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I, too, hoped TA would have used some of that money he has stolen over the last 3 years, to blast post-game, the refs’ performance in the last few minutes of the game. And in case anyone hasn’t mentioned it, how the Eff was that targeting earlier on MSU overturned?!?! The announcers and Blandino seemed flummoxed by that one.

I, too, hoped TA would have used some of that money he has stolen over the last 3 years, to blast post-game, the refs’ performance in the last few minutes of the game. And in case anyone hasn’t mentioned it, how the Eff was that targeting earlier on MSU overturned?!?! The announcers and Blandino seemed flummoxed by that one.
Does it even matter? The 15 yard penalty stood just no player ejection.

One could argue that they lost to Illinois by one point (i.e. avoided overtime), and they lost to MSU by a missed holding call, a missed DPI, and an "unintentional" intentional grounding call. IF Indiana's bowl eligibility were ruined by those calls, I'd still be angry - and I'd hope CTA would have forfeited his place on the sideline this weekend by bitching loudly to the Big Ten and anyone who would listen. But, it didn't really matter. And as my dad used to tell me every time I used the word IF: IF the dog hadn't stopped to pee, he would have caught the rabbit.
A few years ago a national publication said that we led the country in "almost upsets." The problem is that we never get rid of the "almost."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT