ADVERTISEMENT

The Apathy should do him in

Color me conditional. Can’t get the gf fired up enough to make the 40 minute drive from Greenwood. After decades of attending and feeling duped at the end of darn near every weekend, I’ve lost some of my love. Damn shame really.
Girlfriends have traditionally been a hard sell to attend IU football games. It's not in their genetic makeup unless she's a real ball-breaker with spurs.

I live in Charlotte, NC and have missed 1 home game this year. Would it have made it easier to justify if we had a decent year? Of course.

If you're a fan, you at least try to make some games. You don't say "I won't go to games until they fire Allen" Or "until we win". Or make it conditional. If you make it conditional, you're a 'conditional' fan.
At the risk of getting too personal, how do you manage this? Do you have a private plane, flying in the morning of the game? If not, how long of a drive is that? Winnebago, or do you always stay at the same motel? Whatever the logistics, it seems like real dedication for a team as historically inept as Indiana football. On behalf of all Hoosier Nation, I commend your perseverance.

At the risk of getting too personal, how do you manage this? Do you have a private plane, flying in the morning of the game? If not, how long of a drive is that? Winnebago, or do you always stay at the same motel? Whatever the logistics, it seems like real dedication for a team as historically inept as Indiana football. On behalf of all Hoosier Nation, I commend your perseverance.
LOL I wish I had a plane. No, I usually drive. It's about 9 1/2 hours to Bloomington, but I usually plan a visit with my mom, who is 94 and still living on her own. I sometimes fly, but the fares from Charlotte to Indy are really expensive - about twice what it is to fly to Florida from Charlotte. Sometimes I'll fly to Florida and hang out at our place for a few days and then take a round trip to Indy for about $150. I can fly to Florida from Charlotte on Allegiant for less than $200 round trip. And I have American points, so I sometimes use those - Charlotte is an American hub.

It's usually only 6 games and I will sometimes miss one of the easier games. Next year is going to be a bear, with 8 games. Oh, and I have basketball season tickets, but I split those with my buddy now and I'm more selective about what games I go to. I usually try to schedule multiple games in one trip or take in a high school game Friday nights before weekend games. Purdue game is a must-attend.

I just stay at whatever cheap - but decent - hotel I can find. I stay a lot at the Crowne Plaza hotel by the Indy airport. If you go through Priceline, you can get rooms around $100 there. Hotel prices in Indy vary greatly, depending on what's going on in town.

No RV, but I'm always looking for a good deal - that would be the best option, but I just don't want to cough up the $50k+ for a good used RV that I could live with. Plus, the idea of taking a crap in one just weirds me out. I camped out a lot when I was younger, but the thought of driving around with that in the vehicle just seems gross to me.

What can I say - I love all things IU. Growing up without much money, my goal was always to go to college and I really fell in love with IU in the 1967 season - same year the Red Sox went to the Wold Series and I'm a big Red Sox fan. lol I was an impressionable 13 year old then.

There's just nothing like game day in Bloomington for me. I realize not everyone feels like I do and I get totally disgusted with the football team and the Athletic Department in general. But, at this point, it's like family - you don't always get along with them but you're stuck with each other.

By the way, when I croak, I've told my family to hire the Marching Hundred - or however many can make it - to play Sing Sing Sing at my funeral. It's the last tune played at football and basketball games and that's the way I want to go out.

But Dan I ran this by Will Smith before I posted it and he thought it was okay...
At our latest class reunion, some of the women graduated from Purdue and I asked them what they did with their Mrs. degree.

I got a lot of dirty looks. (but they knew I was right)

The guy continued to play, didn't he? No one can predict what would have happened had he not played - that's the point. Look how it's affected us when one of our players gets kicked out.
I didn’t ask for a prediction, I asked what difference it made and you don’t have an answer.

LOL I wish I had a plane. No, I usually drive. It's about 9 1/2 hours to Bloomington, but I usually plan a visit with my mom, who is 94 and still living on her own. I sometimes fly, but the fares from Charlotte to Indy are really expensive - about twice what it is to fly to Florida from Charlotte. Sometimes I'll fly to Florida and hang out at our place for a few days and then take a round trip to Indy for about $150. I can fly to Florida from Charlotte on Allegiant for less than $200 round trip. And I have American points, so I sometimes use those - Charlotte is an American hub.

It's usually only 6 games and I will sometimes miss one of the easier games. Next year is going to be a bear, with 8 games. Oh, and I have basketball season tickets, but I split those with my buddy now and I'm more selective about what games I go to. I usually try to schedule multiple games in one trip or take in a high school game Friday nights before weekend games. Purdue game is a must-attend.

I just stay at whatever cheap - but decent - hotel I can find. I stay a lot at the Crowne Plaza hotel by the Indy airport. If you go through Priceline, you can get rooms around $100 there. Hotel prices in Indy vary greatly, depending on what's going on in town.

No RV, but I'm always looking for a good deal - that would be the best option, but I just don't want to cough up the $50k+ for a good used RV that I could live with. Plus, the idea of taking a crap in one just weirds me out. I camped out a lot when I was younger, but the thought of driving around with that in the vehicle just seems gross to me.

What can I say - I love all things IU. Growing up without much money, my goal was always to go to college and I really fell in love with IU in the 1967 season - same year the Red Sox went to the Wold Series and I'm a big Red Sox fan. lol I was an impressionable 13 year old then.

There's just nothing like game day in Bloomington for me. I realize not everyone feels like I do and I get totally disgusted with the football team and the Athletic Department in general. But, at this point, it's like family - you don't always get along with them but you're stuck with each other.

By the way, when I croak, I've told my family to hire the Marching Hundred - or however many can make it - to play Sing Sing Sing at my funeral. It's the last tune played at football and basketball games and that's the way I want to go out.
"Pay the man, Shirley!"

Reactions: jsenleo and DANC
"Pay the man, Shirley!"
It ain't cheap, but I'm not buying sports cars and living in a McMansion, either.

I just choose to spend my money another way. Of course, my brother-in-law, who does spend his money on material things, loves to ask me for tickets......

He wasn't kicked out, so no one can say what difference it made. Duh.
I see you’re a low information poster. Of course you can see if the player made a difference by playing or not playing. Did he make tackles, interceptions, fumble recoveries etc after the penalty?
I’m sure you know that constantly whining about officiating is a loser mentality, and we have plenty of that here.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I feel like the McFadden thing killed any chance for a successful season.. the call came on a.strip sack of Ridder, deep in Cincinnati territory. Score and they're essentially buried.

Very little comparison to Saturday, at.least in terms of the gravity.
Not exactly sure how you can tell the future like that, but ok. If that dude had been tossed, their defense might've tapped out - you know, kinda like ours did during that Cincy game.

Last edited:
I see you’re a low information poster. Of course you can see if the player made a difference by playing or not playing. Did he make tackles, interceptions, fumble recoveries etc after the penalty?
I’m sure you know that constantly whining about officiating is a loser mentality, and we have plenty of that here.
Tell everyone here you've never played a single organized sport without telling everyone here you've never played a single organized sport.

At our latest class reunion, some of the women graduated from Purdue and I asked them what they did with their Mrs. degree.

I got a lot of dirty looks. (but they knew I was right)
I worked with a woman who said she was working on her Bachelor's. I asked her if she was working on more than one bachelor.

• Haha
Reactions: 82IU and DANC
One could argue that they lost to Illinois by one point (i.e. avoided overtime), and they lost to MSU by a missed holding call, a missed DPI, and an "unintentional" intentional grounding call. IF Indiana's bowl eligibility were ruined by those calls, I'd still be angry - and I'd hope CTA would have forfeited his place on the sideline this weekend by bitching loudly to the Big Ten and anyone who would listen. But, it didn't really matter. And as my dad used to tell me every time I used the word IF: IF the dog hadn't stopped to pee, he would have caught the rabbit.
These are very good points and I agree with you on all of them. Another "if" to throw in the mix is, if Akron's kicker makes a chip shot, we lose that game against a 2-win MAC team. Sadly, this team just isn't very good this year ... again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT