ADVERTISEMENT

That was a campaign speech

When Trump uses the teleprompter his temperament and words appear way more presidential than when he tweets or shoots from the hip before crowds IMO.

What concerns me is when the teleprompter material doesn't jive with the other material.

Is the real Trump the one in front of the teleprompter or the one campaigning before a crowd?

Like two different people.

When Trump uses the teleprompter his temperament and words appear way more presidential than when he tweets or shoots from the hip before crowds IMO.
I heard him on the radio rather than seeing it on TV. He almost sounds like a semi-literate, struggling to make out and pronounce every third word, with no inflection or cadence. I don't expect everyone to sound like JFK or MLK or Obama, but Gawd is he awful. (Note: I had similar criticisms of Hillary.)

Sniff and slur ...
You know, and I haven’t mentioned this before, as I just dismissed it, but I’m reading more and more people, including a guy who worked on the Apprentice, who say there is a reason behind the constant sniffing and slurring. It’s pretty strange how obvious is that no one ever brings it up.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I heard him on the radio rather than seeing it on TV. He almost sounds like a semi-literate, struggling to make out and pronounce every third word, with no inflection or cadence. I don't expect everyone to sound like JFK or MLK or Obama, but Gawd is he awful. (Note: I had similar criticisms of Hillary.)

Good speech writers can produce material for presidents with which the president feels comfortable and resembles his own speaking style. Trump doesn't seem to have such a writer. Then again, ad libing may be his only forte.

In the book "Dutch" examples of how Reagan edited speeches written for him were given. Reagan's editing greatly improved the speeches and suited Reagan's folksy style. Perfect for television by the way.

In contrast, Trump enjoys a campaign style speech before large live crowds. The crowd and Trump feed off each other.

Reactions: twenty02
Good speech writers can produce material for presidents with which the president feels comfortable and resembles his own speaking style. Trump doesn't seem to have such a writer. Then again, ad libing may be his only forte.

In the book "Dutch" examples of how Reagan edited speeches written for him were given. Reagan's editing greatly improved the speeches and suited Reagan's folksy style. Perfect for television by the way.

In contrast, Trump enjoys a campaign style speech before large live crowds. The crowd and Trump feed off each other.
A weird symbiotic parasitic relationship.

Reactions: Capitol Hoosier
You have no way of knowing this. No one does.

The guy was a scumbag and richly deserved his fate, but what have we gained from this?
Seriously? A Middle East without the closest thing to a Göring/Goebbels mutant. That’s abundantly obvious. Even my Trump-loathing ass can see that.

Seriously? A Middle East without the closest thing to a Göring/Goebbels mutant. That’s abundantly obvious. Even my Trump-loathing ass can see that.
To me, it’s like poking a bear. Nothing is gained except making the bear mad. There are 5 Soleimani’s waiting in the wings. That’s ALWAYS the case over there.

Heck, the dude would have already been dead if we hadn’t overruled the Israelis several years ago. Let them deal with it. The bear is in THEIR back yard.

I’m not pretending to be an expert on military affairs. There are a lot of people, you included, that know a whole lot more than I do. It’s just my opinion that we should always be seeking to extricate ourselves as much as possible from a large presence in the Middle East. And this did nothing to further that goal.

To me, it’s like poking a bear. Nothing is gained except making the bear mad. There are 5 Soleimani’s waiting in the wings. That’s ALWAYS the case over there.

Heck, the dude would have already been dead if we hadn’t overruled the Israelis several years ago. Let them deal with it. The bear is in THEIR back yard.

I’m not pretending to be an expert on military affairs. There are a lot of people, you included, that know a whole lot more than I do. It’s just my opinion that we should always be seeking to extricate ourselves as much as possible from a large presence in the Middle East. And this did nothing to further that goal.
While I agree your sentiment, if this is the extent of Iranian retaliation, I think it's a win. First, a bad guy got what he deserved. Second, we sent a message to his successors. Third, we prevented a #3- who got his standing by causing us grief- from becoming a #2, or #1. He probably would have caused more trouble had he ascended, and it would have been much tougher to deal with him once he did.

While I agree your sentiment, if this is the extent of Iranian retaliation, I think it's a win. First, a bad guy got what he deserved. Second, we sent a message to his successors. Third, we prevented a #3- who got his standing by causing us grief- from becoming a #2, or #1. He probably would have caused more trouble had he ascended, and it would have been much tougher to deal with him once he did.
This won’t be the extent of Iran’s retaliation. That’s the problem. Lobbing those easily shot down missiles was nothing more than them saving face on the world stage.

They’ll retaliate through their proxies, the same way they’ve being doing for years.

Two things:

1. There are NOT five Soleimani’s waiting in the wings. He’s not a run of the mill terrorist. I’ve seen no reporting that even purports that...where are you getting that?

He was the chief power broker in the region and the man implementing his own version of foreign policy, guerrilla warfare, and control in the region. Some other schmo cannot fill the void.

2. Iran is no bear. Maybe a rabid weasel at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old age has set in.... if you go watch an interview with him 30 years ago it was tremendously different. His narcissism was obviously always there, but he could have a pretty coherent discussion. Now it's like listening to my 79 year old father at Thanksgiving ramble and then half forget what the topic was.

Old age has set in.... if you go watch an interview with him 30 years ago it was tremendously different. His narcissism was obviously always there, but he could have a pretty coherent discussion. Now it's like listening to my 79 year old father at Thanksgiving ramble and then half forget what the topic was.
It’s the constant sniffing, slurring and mispronunciation of words that is really alarming.

Reactions: DrHoops
Two things:

1. There are NOT five Soleimani’s waiting in the wings. He’s not a run of the mill terrorist. I’ve seen no reporting that even purports that...where are you getting that?

He was the chief power broker in the region and the man implementing his own version of foreign policy, guerrilla warfare, and control in the region. Some other schmo cannot fill the void.

2. Iran is no bear. Maybe a rapid weasel at best.
1. That may be. But we really don’t know. From what I’ve heard, Salami is not much of a replacement, but I’m sure he’ll learn fast. Do we take him out too? How about the next guy?

2. Today’s Iran, sure. But we’d better figure something out and soon, because a nuclear Iran is distinctly possible in the very near future. That’s a whole new ballgame obviously, and we just got done seriously provoking them.

I bet you are sorry, having to watch your dear leader fold up so easily. Have any minorities done anything wrong lately? You haven’t linked anything for a while.

Well there was a guy on PCP in the ATL airport yesterday that shutdown the Clear TSA Pre checkpoint for 15 minutes. Is that what you wanted to hear?

The guy was a scumbag and richly deserved his fate, but what have we gained from this?

You are vastly underestimating how connected he was to all of the various ME security forces. That doesn't mean he is impossible to replace, but it's a strategic setback for the IRGC and religious extreme in Iran.

Reactions: 76-1
Well there was a guy on PCP in the ATL airport yesterday that shutdown the Clear TSA Pre checkpoint for 15 minutes. Is that what you wanted to hear?
Do people actually use Clear? Is it better than TSA pre?

Do people actually use Clear? Is it better than TSA pre?

Much better. You don't have to wait in line. You jump right to the front of the TSA Pre Line (you can also use it without Pre and jump to front of the regular line).

I often get crunched with flight times and meetings ending later than expected, so it's been a game-changer.

Two things:

2. Iran is no bear. Maybe a rabid weasel at best.

Ranger, I respect your opinions, but cannot help but recall how we thought taking on Iraq and Afghanistan wouldn't be a big deal.

Ranger, I respect your opinions, but cannot help but recall how we thought taking on Iraq and Afghanistan wouldn't be a big deal.

Not Ranger, but I would suggest it depends on our objective. I think we can hit them from the air rather easily and destroy much of their capability. But if we want regime change, that involves boots on the ground and I can't see any way that's not going to be another Iraq. Maybe worse given the Iranian army is probably more driven by religious fanaticism than the Iraqi army was.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Not Ranger, but I would suggest it depends on our objective. I think we can hit them from the air rather easily and destroy much of their capability. But if we want regime change, that involves boots on the ground and I can't see any way that's not going to be another Iraq. Maybe worse given the Iranian army is probably more driven by religious fanaticism than the Iraqi army was.

By destroying "much of their capability" do you mean the military, the people, or both?

Sounds like semi-literate?
He is not semi on anything. He is illiterate, period!
That's why he criticizes Obama just about every time he is on stage! jealousy, perhaps? Let's call a spade a spade!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT