ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking - 1st Amendment Hamstrings Gov't ability to Censor Speech

Do we not remember Matt Taibbi when he testified about the weaponization of the Federal Government on the Twitter Files? The most sane speech I ever heard a liberal give.

https://judiciary.house.gov/sites/e...files/evo-media-document/taibbi-testimony.pdf
A Quote
"As someone who grew up a traditional ACLU liberal, this sinister mechanism for punishment without due process is horrifying."
Then conveniently, and at a very odd time, while he testified the IRS shows up to his home. Talk about intimidation.

I don't know enough about the case to have a strong opinion. Have the plaintiffs shown any evidence of actual coercion? Or is it just contacts and requests and suggestions being made to the social media outfits? When the FBI or whoever contacts the NYT or WaPo and asks that they not publish something, is that out of line?

I don't know enough about the case to have a strong opinion. Have the plaintiffs shown any evidence of actual coercion? Or is it just contacts and requests and suggestions being made to the social media outfits? When the FBI or whoever contacts the NYT or WaPo and asks that they not publish something, is that out of line?
Those are good questions. Not the ones KBJ was focusing on, though.

You don’t need to waste your time looking into it because it’s a f*****g stupid case. This is an example of what happens when QANoN type idiots (or just crybabies) are treated like they are normal humans.

You don’t need to waste your time looking into it because it’s a f*****g stupid case. This is an example of what happens when QANoN type idiots (or just crybabies) are treated like they are normal humans.
That's an educated response, NOT. So you think the government SHOULD control free speech correct? Journalists digging for the truth should be censored and silenced? Trash it right? There's no place for the government to ever under any circumstances (Covid or not) step in here and hamstring the people, rather it's the people who are in charge here and have that right. Thank God we got more information during Covid than what the government was trying to push. Am I missing something?

• Haha
Reactions: ButHerEmails
The Slate article laid it out for me. While it's always slanted left, their legal coverage is usually well done.

Do we not remember Matt Taibbi when he testified about the weaponization of the Federal Government on the Twitter Files? The most sane speech I ever heard a liberal give.

https://judiciary.house.gov/sites/e...files/evo-media-document/taibbi-testimony.pdf
A Quote
"As someone who grew up a traditional ACLU liberal, this sinister mechanism for punishment without due process is horrifying."
Then conveniently, and at a very odd time, while he testified the IRS shows up to his home. Talk about intimidation.

Have always loved Taibbi's style...back from the days when he was constantly kicking GWB in the nuts at Rolling Stone.

Hilarious now that he simply points out the wrong shown via the "Twitterfiles" or whatever, he's labeled "Q" by the NPC's.

Have always loved Taibbi's style...back from the days when he was constantly kicking GWB in the nuts at Rolling Stone.

Hilarious now that he simply points out the wrong shown via the "Twitterfiles" or whatever, he's labeled "Q" by the NPC's.
Several folks like that. Glen Greenwald immediately springs to mind among independent journos and Catherine Herridge in the MSM.

Hell, even in pop culture, Bill Maher.

Several folks like that. Glen Greenwald immediately springs to mind among independent journos and Catherine Herridge in the MSM.

Hell, even in pop culture, Bill Maher.
I mean, what a way to spend your 20's... :D

Early career[edit]

In the early 1990s, Taibbi moved from Saint Petersburg to Tashkent, Uzbekistan,[1] where he began selling news articles more regularly. He was deported in 1992 for writing an article for the Associated Press that was critical of President Islam Karimov. At the time of his deportation, Taibbi was the starting left fielder for the Uzbek national baseball team.[23][4]

Taibbi moved to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, for a time in the 1990s, where he played professional basketball in the Mongolian Basketball Association (MBA).[24][2][1] Taibbi became known as "The Mongolian Rodman", was paid $100/month to play,[24] and said he also hosted a radio show while there.[25][26] He later contracted pneumonia and returned to Boston for surgery.[1][27]

Taibbi also worked for a short time as an investigator at a Boston-based private detective agency.

That's an educated response, NOT. So you think the government SHOULD control free speech correct? Journalists digging for the truth should be censored and silenced? Trash it right? There's no place for the government to ever under any circumstances (Covid or not) step in here and hamstring the people, rather it's the people who are in charge here and have that right. Thank God we got more information during Covid than what the government was trying to push. Am I missing something?

How many journalists did trump sue because he didn't like their free speech?

I have no idea. How many? Thanks in advance.

Mr. Trump, who often galvanizes his supporters by attacking the press, has filed a string of unsuccessful defamation suits against major media organizations. Federal judges have dismissed his suits against CNN, The New York Times and The Washington Post.

Here's a start. I doubt CNN, NY Times, Washington Post and now ABC is an exhaustive list.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
4d236x.png

The creator of DARPA’s Lifelog program later told Vice News that the research had nothing to do with spying.

But it was too late.

On February 4, 2004, DARPA shut down LifeLog.

It was the very same day that a skinny college student named Mark Zuckerberg officially launched a new website called The Facebook.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

A Quote

They took his liberal card after all that. Bari’s too.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT