ADVERTISEMENT

Team chemistry rumor

Take it for what it's worth!
3LFS6qh.jpg

3LFS6qh
"I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard that you were messin' around". Capo isn't a former transfer player that I wouldn't believe to have a way to verify anything. If the punch is accurate, it would seem Green was standing by Phinisee. It would be strange for Green to leave unless as a grad transfer. It would make me like Green more if true.

Reactions: 82hoosier
My point is that I (and others ) are hearing it from different "channels" not necessarily that I'm hearing it from a great number of people. I have found in the past that usually there is a "basis" for a rumor but the actual facts have been blow out of proportion. I have also witnessed many good things being totally blown up by ill-advised male-female interaction. I have seen guys (and gals) throw away good jobs and good situations b/c they just couldn't help themselves. All I am saying is, combine these rumors with the way the team played from early January to end of February, I wouldn't be surprised if something along these lines was at the root of the cause. I will definitely agree with your assertion that misinformation spreads like wild fire, especially in this electronic age.

Well, I wouldn’t be surprised either. It’s not an implausible story. After all, Devonte had to be suspended for something. And IU never disclosed what it was. I don’t know where the failed drug test story came from. But I do recall that the athletic department was mum on the reason for the suspension. So most people here, anyway, just assumed it was something like that.

BTW, wasn’t there a video snippet posted here from a shot of the bench during a game — it might have been Romeo and RP, I don’t recall — where one of them seemed to give a cold shoulder to the other one?

I remember thinking at the time that people were making something out of nothing. So I don’t think I even commented on it. But maybe it wasn’t nothing.

I do think we should be cautious with peddling unsubstantiated rumors. But, that said, this is what happens when teams and athletic departments don’t share important information with fans.

I can certainly understand why they’d want to keep this sort of thing — whatever happened with Devonte — private. But there’s a downside to it. People will start filling in their own blanks...many times, unwittingly, with falsehoods.

Last edited:
So...a guy with 20'ish posts drops this pertinent information like a turd in a punch bowl. Another guy with a post count in the teens corroborates it 20'ish posts and yet another guy with a similar post count claims if was probably perpetrated by coaching staff to distract from a disappointing season. This thread is FUBAR from post number one, and has deteriorated from there.

I’m not going to add to the rumor mill but the team had a chemistry issue this year. Details are not really important nor do fans need to know.

Heh...maybe fans don’t need to know. I can’t disagree with that, I suppose.

But if teams are tight-lipped about incidents that materially impact a team’s performance, many fans aren’t just going to say “OK, I’ll accept your silence and not indulge in any rumor-mongering about what you won’t tell me.”

You might be willing to accept silence. But many others will not. Personally, I think teams would be better off addressing this sort of thing. They don’t have to, of course. But, if they don’t, then the rumor mill will take on a life of its own and false information will be everywhere.

Reactions: Jssanto
My point is that I (and others ) are hearing it from different "channels" not necessarily that I'm hearing it from a great number of people. I have found in the past that usually there is a "basis" for a rumor but the actual facts have been blow out of proportion. I have also witnessed many good things being totally blown up by ill-advised male-female interaction. I have seen guys (and gals) throw away good jobs and good situations b/c they just couldn't help themselves. All I am saying is, combine these rumors with the way the team played from early January to end of February, I wouldn't be surprised if something along these lines was at the root of the cause. I will definitely agree with your assertion that misinformation spreads like wild fire, especially in this electronic age.
So, question: if you believe that this has some validity, based on how the team played in January and February, then how does that explain how they began playing much better again in March, and how Romeo was cheering on Devonte during the NIT? That doesn't add up.

I dont believe it.
First of all, Romeo is shy and sawft.
Hard to see him gunning for another guys chik, let alone a teammates.

Also, hard to believe that girl would risk her situation yet at that age

Most of those kinda girls are in it for the notoriety and potential fame\money etc and at that age is doubtful shes looking to risk the grass being greener just yet.
These are college girls.
Not nba player wives ...yet

So, question: if you believe that this has some validity, based on how the team played in January and February, then how does that explain how they began playing much better again in March, and how Romeo was cheering on Devonte during the NIT? That doesn't add up.

Maybe the girl switched to football players and they reconciled.

This is perhaps the stupidest thread I've seen on this board and that's saying something. It starts out with the ever popular, and usually revealing, "take it for what it's worth" CYA comment. Meaning, I can't prove it and have no way to confirm it but I want people to read it and get all worked up.

If any of this had happened it would have become common knowledge and you would have legit sources commenting on it. This is just a load of crap from a needy person who want's to cause problems.

I think something happened to divide the team and that is a damned shame. This season could have been completely different even WITH the injuries.
I had been told sometime back the locker had been fractured by an event between players. Only heard further over the weekend it involved Romeo and Green.

As I said yesterday, I can't confirm for certain it is 100% spot on, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was something along those lines. As you said, they didn't look like they even wanted to be on the same floor together.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
As you said, they didn't look like they even wanted to be on the same floor together.

Somebody remind me which two players were shown on the bench during a TV broadcast.....where one player seems to be cold shouldering the other one. I'm almost positive that Langford was one of them. I can't remember who the other one was. I thought it may have been RP, but maybe it was DG.

As I thought at the time, perhaps there was nothing to this. But perhaps there wasn't nothing to it.

If there's any truth to these rumors, I'm really curious as to why we're just now hearing about them -- and where the "failed drug test" story came from.

If there's any truth to these rumors, I'm really curious as to why we're just now hearing about them -- and where the "failed drug test" story came from.
The failed drug test could have just been speculation on message boards and/or social media which, because it seemed a reasonable assumption, ended up getting passed around as fact. That seems more likely to me than a false rumor started by the athletic department to cover up what really happened as some on here have proposed.

The failed drug test could have just been speculation on message boards and/or social media which, because it seemed a reasonable assumption, ended up getting passed around as fact. That seems more likely to me than a false rumor started by the athletic department to cover up what really happened as some on here have proposed.

Yeah, I have a really hard time believing that any NCAA athletic department would have anything to do with spreading -- overtly or covertly -- false information about a student-athlete having failed a drug test -- for all sorts of reasons....but potential civil liabilities not the least among them. So I have dismissed that stupid theory completely out of hand.

You're probably right that the failed drug test theory was just idle speculation, made in the absence of any official explanation from the coaching staff or university for Devonte's suspension. Once again, this is why schools and programs might want to consider, to some degree anyway, being more transparent when a player is suspended...even if they leave out the more salacious details. If they don't offer the real explanation, false ones will inevitably take root.

All the failed drug test talk was because they were being tight lipped and the 3 game suspension fit with the penalty for a second failure.

Heh...maybe fans don’t need to know. I can’t disagree with that, I suppose.

But if teams are tight-lipped about incidents that materially impact a team’s performance, many fans aren’t just going to say “OK, I’ll accept your silence and not indulge in any rumor-mongering about what you won’t tell me.”

You might be willing to accept silence. But many others will not. Personally, I think teams would be better off addressing this sort of thing. They don’t have to, of course. But, if they don’t, then the rumor mill will take on a life of its own and false information will be everywhere.

I 100% agree the the U shouldn't be commenting about fights over GFs or failed drug tests.

But a think the complete secrecy over injury situations is silly. You would think these guys all had STDs by the level of secrecy involved.. And I realize that the player has a right to secrecy if he chooses to exercise it. I can't believe that every player would want complete secrecy if the university wasn't pushing them in that direction. It doesn't happen to this extent at most places. It's got lawyer Fred written all over it.

I might also suggest that the athletic department might have at least have sought to dispel the (apparently false) rumor that Devonte had failed a drug test....even if they declined to say what he was suspended for.

That rumor was not only all over this and other IU message boards, it was also proffered in social media.

I don't buy for a second that the athletic department or the coaches had anything to do with spreading a false rumor. But if I was Fred Glass or Archie Miller -- or even Devonte Green, for that matter -- I'd damn sure want everybody to know that there wasn't a failed drug test. It's almost impossible to keep a secret in this day and age -- particularly in a high profile situation.

I had been told sometime back the locker had been fractured by an event between players. Only heard further over the weekend it involved Romeo and Green.

As I said yesterday, I can't confirm for certain it is 100% spot on, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was something along those lines. As you said, they didn't look like they even wanted to be on the same floor together.
There’s definitely truth to it.

I 100% agree the the U shouldn't be commenting about fights over GFs or failed drug tests.

But a think the complete secrecy over injury situations is silly. You would think these guys all had STDs by the level of secrecy involved.. And I realize that the player has a right to secrecy if he chooses to exercise it. I can't believe that every player would want complete secrecy if the university wasn't pushing them in that direction. It doesn't happen to this extent at most places. It's got lawyer Fred written all over it.

Well, I'm not a lawyer and I have only a vague understanding of the HIPAA law and its underlying regs. But I can fully believe that HIPAA -- and policies designed to stay faithful to it -- would play a central role in determining whether to publicly disclose information (and, if so, how much) about an athlete's health. And they might be even more cautious when they're dealing with a condition that isn't the result of an injury sustained while playing their sport.

Also, FTR, I'm not taking the position that the university should remain completely silent about non-health related suspensions. Bsmitty did and I was mostly disagreeing with him. I don't think they necessarily owe fans an explanation, particularly a detailed one. But I do think offering some explanation might be better than none at all. Nobody's interests are served by uninformed rumors and speculation filling in the blanks left by an absence of first-hand fact.

I have also witnessed many good things being totally blown up by ill-advised male-female interaction. I have seen guys (and gals) throw away good jobs and good situations b/c they just couldn't help themselves.
The urge to procreate the species, advance the genetic code into the future, is probably the second strongest force in the universe (as we know of it), second only to the pull of gravity. Sometimes, we just can't help ourselves. Joe Biden knows what I'm talking about.

I have been hearing rumors very similar to this for several weeks. I work with a young man who has friends who go to PU and also to IU. They are both telling him the same stories. I am not going to say that these rumors are true, but when there is a lot of smoke then there is usually a fire somewhere. Now, did Romeo "move on" someone's GF or did some girl who DG thought was his GF jump Romoe?? Who the hell knows? One thing is for sure; starting with the Nebraska game, this team couldn't stand to be on the court with one another. No high fives in pre-game, no sense of a team what-so-ever. It was a flick of the switch change IMO from the previous games. I think something happened to divide the team and that is a damned shame. This season could have been completely different even WITH the injuries.
Did you go to games? Because they all high fived and fist bumped on intros, when they came out of game, when they shot free throws, etc.

This is perhaps the stupidest thread I've seen on this board and that's saying something. It starts out with the ever popular, and usually revealing, "take it for what it's worth" CYA comment. Meaning, I can't prove it and have no way to confirm it but I want people to read it and get all worked up.

If any of this had happened it would have become common knowledge and you would have legit sources commenting on it. This is just a load of crap from a needy person who want's to cause problems.

My post is simply a screenshot of a tweet. I am the middle man. You can just as easily find the rumor via the Twitter handle in the picture

The urge to procreate the species, advance the genetic code into the future, is probably the second strongest force in the universe (as we know of it), second only to the pull of gravity. Sometimes, we just can't help ourselves. Joe Biden knows what I'm talking about.

Wrong board. Stick with basketball.

Reactions: russelltodd
I have also witnessed many good things being totally blown up by ill-advised male-female interaction. I have seen guys (and gals) throw away good jobs and good situations b/c they just couldn't help themselves.
You meant to say Trump, right? Every single thread, every single one you have to put in your ignorant political views . I’m coming back at you every time until you stop.

Heard the same but it wasn't because of a girl.

Remember that old game of telephone we played as kids in the classroom? The teacher would give a message to the first person in line and it was passed by whisper from one student to another? By the time it went through 25-30 sets of personal ears, usually the message was quite different from the message started at the beginning of the chain.

Something happened to this team and its' chemistry right around the start of the Big Ten Season. It could be that someone slept with somebody else's supposed girlfriend, it could be something that occurred in practice (fight among teammates), or somebody's parent said something that pissed off several players and created a division into two cliques.

What I do know is that what your favorite bartender told you he heard from a customer, who heard it from his best buddy, who heard it from the father of a student manager, who heard it from his son, who heard it from his girlfriend. who heard it from a cheerleader with contact with team members, is not a credible source.

Reactions: iulb and All4You
You meant to say Trump, right? Every single thread, every single one you have to put in your ignorant political views . I’m coming back at you every time until you stop.
Not every one, zeke, just every one that gets your goat. The only reason I threw that last little ditty in there about Joe was because I had just read a headline article on the guy on my AOL feed...something about his hands making someone uncomfortable. Say it ain't so, Joe! It was fresh on my mind when the dude was saying something in the post I answered about the urge that gets people in trouble all the time...Joe had just been staring me in the face. We've all been there...gotten the dirty urge when we should have known better, causing stupid shit to come back to bite us in the ass at a later time. I was just having a little fun and threw that Joe Biden shit in to see if anyone was paying attention. Thank you for noticing. Oh, and I do promise to lay off any conservative way of thinking that may cause you ire, such that your more liberal ways of intolerance call me out publicly every single time until I stop. I shall not allow myself the humiliation of your call outs.

The bottom line is, it's been a crap season and everyone is on edge. We've been reduced to wondering who slept with whom, who punched whom, whose parent said what about whom to upset whomever we wish. Why should I watch the Kardashians with my wife when I have Hoosier.com? What else is there to talk about at this point of the off-season that one can't even throw in a little Joe Biden humor as an off-hand statement without being chastised in front of potentially millions of people. If you can't laugh at the frailty of the human condition, what is it that's so un-amusing in that mirror's image that can't bring even a wry little smile? Take pause tonight when you're brushing your teeth. Look deeply into those eyes and ask yourself what it is I really said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT