ADVERTISEMENT

TCF Bank Stadium

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
Doing some research on Minnesota’s stadium,which was completed in 2009.
Didn’t realize it was the first B10 stadium built since Memorial Stadium was built in 1960,that’s a year shy of 50 years.
When you think about it i guess it’s not surprising as there are some pretty old stadiums in the conference.

Last edited:
It looks like a great environment. View of downtown. Sits 50k much like Memorial Stadium. Better than Metro Dome. IU should be be ready for the elements after Wind Bowl last week. That was brutal.

Reactions: CC Mac
It looks like a great environment. View of downtown. Sits 50k much like Memorial Stadium. Better than Metro Dome. IU should be be ready for the elements after Wind Bowl last week. That was brutal.

My only problem with the place is.....why build a new stadium that only seats 50,000? To me, 50,000 attendance is something of a threshold #. Anything below that and you're not really playing D1 football. So I would have at least made it 55000-60000......I mean those guys have 4-5 NC trophies.....sure they're dusty as hell, but man-up a little........

My only problem with the place is.....why build a new stadium that only seats 50,000? To me, 50,000 attendance is something of a threshold #. Anything below that and you're not really playing D1 football. So I would have at least made it 55000-60000......I mean those guys have 4-5 NC trophies.....sure they're dusty as hell, but man-up a little........

Minny has always struggled with attendance. Throughout the 90s/00s, they were only averaging 40-45k in the 65k Metrodome, and those numbers were pulled up by a lot of Iowa/Wisc sellouts. And being "off campus" wasn't that big a deal, as it was still walkable to an extent. Wilkie/Forrest are farther away from Memorial Stadium than any Minny dorm from the Metrodome location. I think it is largely due to competition with the Vikings/NFL. Its rare for schools in metro area with an NFL team to average above 50k. UM (Detroit Metro) is the only one that really sticks out. Georgia/LSU are on the cusp, but they are both about 90 minutes from NFL teams. TCF was built with future expansion in mind, with the foundation footing capable of supporting another seating deck.

I have been to one game there and one non-game related event. I loved the seat back seats and their video system was best in the BIG until IU installed theirs last summer. They have more suites than IU does. I would like it a lot if it weren't in freaking Minnesota.

One thing I noticed at the PSU game is that most PSU fans were prepared...wearing winter coats and hats. IUnfans left home when it was nice and were in sweatshirts and light jackets. They were miserable and That includes most of my group.

Reactions: Walt542
When I was doing my research last night I read that it was designed to expand to 70,000
if the need arises.

Every school is losing attendance

You got cable? Satellite? Streaming?

"Don't make what you can't sell"

Doing some research on Minnesota’s stadium,which was completed in 2009.
Didn’t realize it was the first B10 stadium built since Memorial Stadium was built in 1960,that’s a year shy of 50 years.
When you think about it i guess it’s not surprising as there are some pretty old stadiums in the conference.
Actually there really are no "old" stadiums in the Big Ten. Without exception every Big Ten stadium over the years has been fully renovated, substantialy expanded capacity in many cases, upgraded as far as amentities including sky boxes. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska come immediately in to mind and IU has done a pretty good job too. Purdue has begun to upgrade substantially also and of course Rutgers and Marlyland only recently joined the Big Ten.

Reactions: Larrysimyname
I'll be there tomorrow night - looking forward to it (other than the forecasted rain). Good breweries and IU football.
The wife and I will be there as well. Flying out of Indy early tomorrow a.m. Looking forward to the game and a long weekend in the Twin Cities. Hopefully the rain is not too bad.

Decided just to purchase tickets at the stadium. Does anybody know if there are any restrictions on scalping that would make it difficult to get tickets ? Also, does anyone know which sections are the IU fans in ?

The wife and I will be there as well. Flying out of Indy early tomorrow a.m. Looking forward to the game and a long weekend in the Twin Cities. Hopefully the rain is not too bad.

Decided just to purchase tickets at the stadium. Does anybody know if there are any restrictions on scalping that would make it difficult to get tickets ? Also, does anyone know which sections are the IU fans in ?

Couldn't sell the lady on the trip, so I'm driving up tomorrow morning and back Saturday morning. Haven't played there since 2006 and haven't seen the new stadium yet.

Reactions: DerrickC
Couldn't sell the lady on the trip, so I'm driving up tomorrow morning and back Saturday morning. Haven't played there since 2006 and haven't seen the new stadium yet.
Wow, you guys impress me with your level of commitment to this football program!!! Good to see! Long Live IU Football!!!!!!!!

When I was doing my research last night I read that it was designed to expand to 70,000
if the need arises.
which begs the question: since (IIRC) the Minnesota state legislature picked up the tab for the original stadium, would it also foot the bill for any expansion(s)?

Reactions: IUCol
Every school is losing attendance

You got cable? Satellite? Streaming?

"Don't make what you can't sell"
Which is not surprising to me. It's getting harder and harder to sit through games live with all the really long commercial breaks. Especially when the weather sucks (like in the end of the Virginia game.....that 4th quarter seemed to take 3 years). Maybe it's just me getting older, because I know they have had these tv timeouts forever, but when you can sit at home and dvr it.....I totally understand. If you ask me, they need to get with the times and figure out how to not have as many delays. They can easily add advertising while the game is going on, little pop ups between plays or something, so it doesn't detract from catching it live at the stadium.

Tickets will be available at stadium. Buy on street rather than Ticket shops.

Check traffic

I was up in Minneapolis earlier this summer, and they were starting major road destruction in the downtown area. Not sure if it’s still ongoing, but it was worth avoiding.

Check traffic

I was up in Minneapolis earlier this summer, and they were starting major road destruction in the downtown area. Not sure if it’s still ongoing, but it was worth avoiding.

It’s still a mess, though luckily the light rail can get you from the airport to and around downtown, and to the stadium, and would be my recommendation. (Currently riding the light rail while writing this :) )

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT