ADVERTISEMENT

Taxation without representation

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
SCOTUS ruled in favor of the government against a resident of Puerto Rico who wrongly accepted SSI benefits for years until the feds decided he owed them some $30K in mistaken payments.

SCOTUS' ruling is absolutely correct. Congress is not required to implement the same tax/benefit scheme in the territories that it does in the states. And it's true that Puerto Ricans are exempt from several federal taxes, including the all-important income tax.

But they do pay other federal taxes, including the FICA tax that ostensibly funds the SSI that they are not eligible for. I wonder if it is high time for us to simply bring the insular tax scheme into line with the stateside one. (Or, failing that, should Puerto Rico just be a state already?)

Reactions: UncleMark
SCOTUS ruled in favor of the government against a resident of Puerto Rico who wrongly accepted SSI benefits for years until the feds decided he owed them some $30K in mistaken payments.

SCOTUS' ruling is absolutely correct. Congress is not required to implement the same tax/benefit scheme in the territories that it does in the states. And it's true that Puerto Ricans are exempt from several federal taxes, including the all-important income tax.

But they do pay other federal taxes, including the FICA tax that ostensibly funds the SSI that they are not eligible for. I wonder if it is high time for us to simply bring the insular tax scheme into line with the stateside one. (Or, failing that, should Puerto Rico just be a state already?)
Can we afford to make Puerto Rico a state? I don’t know. I’d be all for it if we could.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT