ADVERTISEMENT

Talk about canceling a culture...

After reading the article it’s clear that they have policies that would affect both black and white hairstyles. So CNN can spare me the racial angle - though they can’t help it.

But the bigger story is how on earth is a public school able to prescribe haircuts?
You're just pissed about the mullet part.
:D

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
And people wonder why the federal government still needs to exist. What an incredibly dumb rule. Would agree with Ranger though that this doesn't seem to be particularly racist, just assholish and domineering.

Are they going to next advise that for all students having sex, missionary is the only acceptable position.

After reading the article it’s clear that they have policies that would affect both black and white hairstyles. So CNN can spare me the racial angle - though they can’t help it.

But the bigger story is how on earth is a public school able to prescribe haircuts?
They can’t help it? They do it on purpose.

They have a narrative to advance.

And people wonder why the federal government still needs to exist. What an incredibly dumb rule. Would agree with Ranger though that this doesn't seem to be particularly racist, just assholish and domineering.

Are they going to next advise that for all students having sex, missionary is the only acceptable position.
I don’t see how it’s legal to be honest. It’s a public school.

It could affect 1,000 black kids, but as long as it also affects two or three white kids, then it affects both sides and it ain’t racist. Yes, I distinctly remember all the white kids with corn rows and hanging braids/twists when I was in high school. Yep, I remember both of them.

Yep, cancel, cancel, cancel. When you try to tell them that's canceling, they cancel you. This is the culture Repubs have created. Moving goal posts so they can cancel your field goal. What's the point of even kicking the ball now? But that's how they want you to think.
Christ is this ironic.

Reactions: Spartans9312
It could affect 1,000 black kids, but as long as it also affects two or three white kids, then it affects both sides and it ain’t racist. Yes, I distinctly remember all the white kids with corn rows and hanging braids/twists when I was in high school. Yep, I remember both of them.
It is really easy to tell who did not read any of the article.

"Boy's hair may not extend below the eyebrows, below the tops of the ears or below a conventional standup shirt collar, and must not be more than one-inch difference in the length of the hair on the side to the length of the hair on top."

Have you see white boy teen hairstyles lately? Heck kids in general. 2 of my 4 very white boys would fail that standard right now.

No one cares about your bumpkinville high school. Have you seen how many followers Kim k and her crew have?! Cool high schools the chicks are rowed out. White chicks!

Reactions: Crayfish57
You sure care, that’s why you replied.
I don't care about you or your goofy high school. I care about braids. It's the ultimate hot girl move. Are you a kid? A student or something. There was a reason Bo Derek was a Ten, well a few, but the rows were amazing

I don't care about you or your goofy high school. I care about braids. It's the ultimate hot girl move. Are you a kid? A student or something. There was a reason Bo Derek was a Ten, well a few, but the rows were amazing
Cool story. Keep caring.

Have you seen how many followers Kim k and her crew have?! Cool high schools the chicks are rowed out. White chicks!
Hard to tell if your argument supports the racist thesis or not. We know Kim K blackfishes but do Texans?

The rest of your argument definitely supports The racist thesis. Texans undoubtedly have their panties up in a bunch seeing their white daughters idolize black hairstyles. What they really wanna do is outlaw hip-hop altogether.

Hard to tell if your argument supports the racist thesis or not. We know Kim K blackfishes but do Texans?

The rest of your argument definitely supports The racist thesis. Texans undoubtedly have their panties up in a bunch seeing their white daughters idolize black hairstyles. What they really wanna do is outlaw hip-hop altogether.
I even heard there was this town that outlawed dancing! Ren told those city officials to get bent...and get Footloose!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Again, did you read the article? Hell, I posted a very pertinent part of the handbook that very specifically impacts white boys w.r.t. the same issue. You were baited into thinking this was a racial issue as opposed to a high school having exceptionally stringent restrictions on the haircuts for ALL boys, no matter their race. The rule does no disproportionately impact anyone by race.

CNN sure did their job though.

Again, did you read the article? Hell, I posted a very pertinent part of the handbook that very specifically impacts white boys w.r.t. the same issue. You were baited into thinking this was a racial issue as opposed to a high school having exceptionally stringent restrictions on the haircuts for ALL boys, no matter their race. The rule does no disproportionately impact anyone by race.

You’re missing the point, maestro. It’s not about who it affects, black, white, green, or brown. If anything it’s all about affecting whites. That is, it’s all about making sure whites do not adopt black hip hop culture. It’s all about making white boys look like white boys are supposed to look.

By the way the assertion that CNN is making this racist is utter bullshit. The article quotes the ACLU rep who asserts what he asserts. You, my man, fell for IURanger’s bullshit hook, line and sinker.

You’re missing the point, maestro. It’s not about who it affects, black, white, green, or brown. If anything it’s all about affecting whites. That is, it’s all about making sure whites do not adopt black hip hop culture. It’s all about making white boys look like white boys are supposed to look.
You are off in left field. Hair below the eyebrows is hip hop culture? Hair below the tops of the ears is hip hop culture? Hair lower than the top of a normal collared shirt is hip hop culture? Hair that is an inch higher on top than the sides is hip hop culture?

The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the hippies and the entire counter culture movement in the 60's and 70's, dudes trying to look like 70's teen heartthrobs, metal heads, skaters, grunge kids, and on and on would all fall afoul of that rule.

I did not miss shit. Ranger was over the target, dropped his precision bomb, and nailed it. This is an overly aggressive policy for all boys haircuts that they were able to approach from a racial angle and you and a few others are gobbling it up.

The point you are trying to make here is abject nonsense.

How is this a racial thing? It's about the length of a dude's hair, not just the style as the CNN headline erroneously states. The Houston Chronicle article lays it all out. If anything, it's sexist and as the ACLU lawyer stated "Anti-Hippie".

You are off in left field. Hair below the eyebrows is hip hop culture? Hair below the tops of the ears is hip hop culture? Hair lower than the top of a normal collared shirt is hip hop culture? Hair that is an inch higher on top than the sides is hip hop culture?

The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the hippies and the entire counter culture movement in the 60's and 70's, dudes trying to look like 70's teen heartthrobs, metal heads, skaters, grunge kids, and on and on would all fall afoul of that rule.

I did not miss shit. Ranger was over the target, dropped his precision bomb, and nailed it. This is an overly aggressive policy for all boys haircuts that they were able to approach from a racial angle and you and a few others are gobbling it up.

The point you are trying to make here is abject nonsense.
“Braided hair or corn rows will not be allowed.”

Corn rows can and often do meet those measurements, above the eyebrows, ears and so forth. What gives, genius?

Last edited:
How is this a racial thing? It's about the length of a dude's hair, not just the style as the CNN headline erroneously states. The Houston Chronicle article lays it all out. If anything, it's sexist and as the ACLU lawyer stated "Anti-Hippie".
Talk about not reading the whole article.

“This includes but not limited to tall hair styles, side swept bang styles, and long hair dangling over shaved sides or shaved back of the head. This also includes mullets and mullets in the making. Braided hair or corn rows will not be allowed. No extremes in hair styles.”

“Braided hair or corn rows will not be allowed.”

Corn rows can and often do meet those measurements, above the eyebrows, ears and so forth. What gives, genius?
Length of hair less than one inch difference from side to top. You can't do cornrows without enough hair to get hold of. They appear to have the "Bob Knight" rule on haircuts, or a more military rule. They want it clean and tight on all the boys.

"Racism, racism everywhere!!!!!" It gets really ****ing old...so I am tapping out.

I’m all FOR banning mullets. If they have to ban braids too to be fair and non-discriminatory, so be it. Hell, if they have to close the school to end mullets, I’m OK with it.

PS - dumb rule.
PSS - the mom’s claim that a haircut is a vital link to one’s ancestors is manufactured angst. Turns out black guys have all kinds of hair styles and they change over time. It ain’t one size fits all.

Talk about not reading the whole article.

“This includes but not limited to tall hair styles, side swept bang styles, and long hair dangling over shaved sides or shaved back of the head. This also includes mullets and mullets in the making. Braided hair or corn rows will not be allowed. No extremes in hair styles.”
Right. It's not just about this kid's dreads. It's about a whole bunch of styles, colors and the length restrictions on boys hair and dress.

Here's the Dress Code https://www.scribd.com/document/571889091/East-Bernard-ISD-Dress-Code

There were two articles posted and as I said, the chronicle article lays it all out with comments from the ACLU including that they aren't going to pursue a case against the school district. The kid hasn't even been enrolled in the school anyway.

It's (the dress code) a bunch of garbage all the way around.

I'm not ashamed to admit, but my junior year, I was bored before a game so a manager on our team braided my hair in cornrows. Only took about an hour.

I looked good.

Reactions: UncleMark
They could ban rap music and the same people would be here saying it’s obviously not racist because the Beasty Boys, Vanilla Ice and Eminem are white. See, it impacts everyone.

How did CNN make it racial?

The mom made it racial.

The ACLU then made it racial.

I couldn't read the Chronicle article. Is this at Stepford High School?

I couldn't read the Chronicle article. Is this at Stepford High School?
They certainly expect good little Stepford students. The chronicle article is where I got the link to the entire dress code. Some of the restrictions in there are just so bizarre and/or subjective to me.

No flannel shirts may be worn as a jacket.
No duster type, trench coats, or excessively large jackets will be permitted.
Only prescription contacts and sunglasses are permissible.
Earring(s) of any type are not permitted in school or at school functions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT