ADVERTISEMENT

T.J. Leaf back on the board?

Crean's "player development" is way over-rated.

Before his soph season, Zeller was talked about going # 1. As the season went, his stock dropped and dropped and dropped. IIRC, he was down to around #9.

And then he had the NBA work-outs and the scouts were saying, "I didn't know you could shoot from outside like that" (because Crean RARELY used that weapon of his) and he went back up the draft board.

So, Crean didn't use Zeller's shooting and, what did Crean have to do with Zeller taking a bazillion 3's in practice to get good? It was also a very weak draft so Zeller went high. Almost any other draft, he'd be lucky to go in the lottery.

Olidipo? Crean did not instill that work ethic into him. He already had it.

Vonleh actually went lower than almost where everyone picked him.

Look at Troy now. He's going to training camps all over the country to improve. And yet, Crean's groupies will give ALL the credit to Crean for his "development."

Here's proof Crean is vastly over-rated: Any time you hear about the NBA looking to hire a college coach, you NEVER hear Crean's name. They beg Coach K, Calipari, Izzo and others to coach in the NBA but Crean's name doesn't come up.

It's because the guy is clueless.

kenpom did a rating on coaches based on all kinds of stats and Crean was near the bottom.

I am far from a TC defender, but just as you say he didn't instill the work ethic in Oladipo, maybe he didn't instill the deferral gene in Zeller. That guy has all the talent in the world, but I think to some degree he doesn't like taking outside shots during games. That's why he was drafted by the Hornets, but he just won't take shots (maybe their coaches instruct him not to, but it's why he was drafted and he's not doing it). I think he just has a laid back attitude and is happier being a role player than looking to score aggressively.

I am far from a TC defender, but just as you say he didn't instill the work ethic in Oladipo, maybe he didn't instill the deferral gene in Zeller. That guy has all the talent in the world, but I think to some degree he doesn't like taking outside shots during games. That's why he was drafted by the Hornets, but he just won't take shots (maybe their coaches instruct him not to, but it's why he was drafted and he's not doing it). I think he just has a laid back attitude and is happier being a role player than looking to score aggressively.

Before his soph season, Zeller said he took a gazillion 3's in practice so he could open up the inside to help his teammates. I seriously doubt, then, he was "too afraid" to take them.

Before his soph season, Zeller said he took a gazillion 3's in practice so he could open up the inside to help his teammates. I seriously doubt, then, he was "too afraid" to take them.

By that same logic, why would Crean want him practicing all those jump shots if he never wanted him to take them in games? Then the very next year let Vonleh get out and take plenty of 3s

By that same logic, why would Crean want him practicing all those jump shots if he never wanted him to take them in games? Then the very next year let Vonleh get out and take plenty of 3s
NV took one three per game...is that taking plenty of threes?

Still pretending like you and the Leafs are friends, huh? How did all that inside info work out for you last time?

They don't like Crean for the same reason everyone (except for a few losers who frequent this board) doesn't like him. He's a phony. If you can't see through that initially, prolonged exposure will soon bear it out. Ask the Zellers. Or Calbert. Or anyone.

Got news for you. Your dead wrong about the Zellers! I listened to Calbert talk about TC and IU over an hour last summer after a round of golf. The worst thing he said about TC is he won't bend rules in recruiting like some others.

He doesn't have a history of accuracy in this area...I'm not saying he doesn't know the family but his info has been piling more bs on top of the bs

I don't know the family or pretend to. I've just heard many say this isn't true.

Got news for you. Your dead wrong about the Zellers! I listened to Calbert talk about TC and IU over an hour last summer after a round of golf. The worst thing he said about TC is he won't bend rules in recruiting like some others.
So Calbert moved his family from his alma mater to take a step down the coaching ladder but loved working for TC? Or does he know not to bad mouth the IU coach?

You are definitely wrong about the Zellers...add in the Vonlehs as well. They don't hate him but he is not on their XMas card list

How much did he tip you for cleaning his clubs?

If you'd like to join me as a guest at Victoria National sometime let me know. Bring a few hundred dollars and you can join the game with my friends.

I don't know anything about Leaf, but I do know that almost everything old hurryin said during the recruitment ended up being wrong

If you're saying you have knowledge that Mr Leaf dislikes Crean I'll your word for it but not the other two firing from the hip. The one attributing things to the Zellers I know is full of it.

If you'd like to join me as a guest at Victoria National sometime let me know. Bring a few hundred dollars and you can join the game with my friends.

I bet I can make arrangements with Calberts friends to join you and set you straight on his feelings towards Crean.

If you're saying you have knowledge that Mr Leaf dislikes Crean I'll your word for it but not the other two firing from the hip. The one attributing things to the Zellers I know is full of it.
No I said I don't know anything about Leaf, all I know is the Hurryin has been wrong more than he has been right....but you are wrong about the Zellers. CZ and his family are respectful but they aren't fans. I trust my source on this

No I said I don't know anything about Leaf, all I know is the Hurryin has been wrong more than he has been right....but you are wrong about the Zellers. CZ and his family are respectful but they aren't fans. I trust my source on this

I know them personally but not close friends. My son played on the last State Championship team with Cody. I know other locals who are close friends and not once have I or they heard Zellers speak badly towards TC. If they did have any negative feelings towards Crean the only people who would know are Steve, Lori, Luke, Tyler or Cody. They absolutely in public or presence of others wouldn't talk badly about anyone.

So Calbert moved his family from his alma mater to take a step down the coaching ladder but loved working for TC? Or does he know not to bad mouth the IU coach?

You are definitely wrong about the Zellers...add in the Vonlehs as well. They don't hate him but he is not on their XMas card list

As far as Calbert I just know he was very relaxed and seemed to be talking very openly around friends. He might have held back. He did say that Crean expects a lot of work out of his staff. I guess that could be construed as negative and maybe at his stage in life he didn't want to work 16 hour days?

I know them personally but not close friends. My son played on the last State Championship team with Cody. I know other locals who are close friends and not once have I or they heard Zellers speak badly towards TC. If they did have any negative feelings towards Crean the only people who would know are Steve, Lori, Luke, Tyler or Cody. They absolutely in public or presence of others wouldn't talk badly about anyone.
CZ and I have a mutual friend. My best friends son attends IU and was close friends with a couple members of the team. Like I said they are respectful, but put it this way, they won't miss TC if he's leaves. But none of this really matters. A coach probably isn't doing his job if everyone loves him

CZ and I have a mutual friend. My best friends son attends IU and was close friends with a couple members of the team. Like I said they are respectful, but put it this way, they won't miss TC if he's leaves. But none of this really matters. A coach probably isn't doing his job if everyone loves him

You're right he isn't doing job if everyone likes him. Zellers are amazing people. When you've had as much success in small town like their family has you can usually find people who are jealous and speak badly of them. It just doesn't happen with them.

I am certainly not thrilled with the job Crean has done but I get tired of the piling on here sometimes. I've said it many times, as long as he's coach I supporting him and the team.

Reactions: ORG
NV took one three per game...is that taking plenty of threes?
Two things. First, compared to the number of 3s Cody took over two years, yes, that number is significant (or plenty). Second, Noah accelerated the number of threes he took as the season went along. The first several games he really didn't take any. In his 30 games he took 33 "3s." But, 25 of those came in conference for an average of 1.6 a game. IMO, that is a reasonable number for the use of the word plenty, considering he was their only big and that the big before him took a total of 2 over a 72 game career.

Source: sports-reference

Two things. First, compared to the number of 3s Cody took over two years, yes, that number is significant (or plenty). Second, Noah accelerated the number of threes he took as the season went along. The first several games he really didn't take any. In his 30 games he took 33 "3s." But, 25 of those came in conference for an average of 1.6 a game. IMO, that is a reasonable number for the use of the word plenty, considering he was their only big and that the big before him took a total of 2 over a 72 game career.

Source: sports-reference
You are going a looong way to make 33 shots seem like more than it is....

1 shot per game does not indicate what the poster was hoping it would...and not only is it not plenty, it's so few that it is meaningless

Why people insist on using NV as "proof" that TC allows his bigs to shoot is beyond me..,why don't they choose Novak?

Maybe I can put the Zeller rumor to bed by running up the street and asking them for a quote for Peegs.com.
You have news for me?

Haha...that will be the day, at least as far as basketball goes. You're a fool and have carried water for Crean on these boards for years.

All of a sudden youre "not thrilled." What you are is clueless and now slowly walking back your position. That doesn't come from any real basketball insight on your part, but even you can look around and see all but the die hards abandoning the Crean bandwadon.

But by all means....give your "news" to me.

The news is you have no idea what Calbert or Zellers think about Crean so don't act like you do. Takes smart guy to call someone a fool. I am sure you're very accomplished.

You are going a looong way to make 33 shots seem like more than it is....

1 shot per game does not indicate what the poster was hoping it would...and not only is it not plenty, it's so few that it is meaningless

Why people insist on using NV as "proof" that TC allows his bigs to shoot is beyond me..,why don't they choose Novak?
Oh, I agree with you there. But, taking 1 a game and 1.6 in conference is the same or more than a lot of point guards. Just my opinion, but, yea, that's "plenty" for a post player.

And, when people argue on here (and they have) that TC wouldn't allow Cody to showcase his shooting skills since he was IU's only post presence, the simple, plain fact that one year later he let a freshman Vonleh (who was also IU's only post) do it just makes the former seem like a really fragile argument to make.

As far as shooting bigs, Novak is a better example, but I don't how much he played down low. Was he always hanging around on the outside, or was he also Marquette's post presence?

Reactions: stollcpa
Oh, I agree with you there. But, taking 1 a game and 1.6 in conference is the same or more than a lot of point guards. Just my opinion, but, yea, that's "plenty" for a post player.

And, when people argue on here (and they have) that TC wouldn't allow Cody to showcase his shooting skills since he was IU's only post presence, the simple, plain fact that one year later he let a freshman Vonleh (who was also IU's only post) do it just makes the former seem like a really fragile argument to make.

As far as shooting bigs, Novak is a better example, but I don't how much he played down low. Was he always hanging around on the outside, or was he also Marquette's post presence?
It's not a fragile argument when it originally came from Cody himself. I could see your point if it was the usual posters assuming the worst but it isn't. They are basing it on quotes from one of the two people who would know best.

It's not a fragile argument when it originally came from Cody himself. I could see your point if it was the usual posters assuming the worst but it isn't. They are basing it on quotes from one of the two people who would know best.
yea, but we've gone over those Cody quotes before. I'm not going to rehash that, so we'll just disagree. Suffice to say, there is some disjointedness between what Cody said and what the staff was saying publicly during his sophomore season.

For now, I'm taking my daughter out for her b-day. :)

yea, but we've gone over those Cody quotes before. I'm not going to rehash that, so we'll just disagree. Suffice to say, there is some disjointedness between what Cody said and what the staff was saying publicly during his sophomore season.

For now, I'm taking my daughter out for her b-day. :)
I don't know what quotes you are referring to from the coaches

I don't know what quotes you are referring to from the coaches
there were a couple press times, either availability or postgame....

I think it was Crean once and another time one of the assistants, speaking to the idea that they needed to get Cody to take the open 16-18 foot jumpers that opponents were giving him because - he can make those. They talked about trying to get him to take those in games (I think as opposed to just during scrimmages). They weren't being critical, it was more along the lines of what they needed Cody to do next.

there were a couple press times, either availability or postgame....

I think it was Crean once and another time one of the assistants, speaking to the idea that they needed to get Cody to take the open 16-18 foot jumpers that opponents were giving him because - he can make those. They talked about trying to get him to take those in games (I think as opposed to just during scrimmages). They weren't being critical, it was more along the lines of what they needed Cody to do next.
I don't recall those pcs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT