ADVERTISEMENT

Systemic racism in the media

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
Part of it is a dearth of opportunity. Part is policy. Part is culture
The policies are likely in place to deal with the rapidly declining opportunities for lower education/lower skilled workers. How many dudes sitting in prison for selling drugs or violence involving drugs grew up in a home that looks anything like their grandparent's home in the 50's/60's. Probably very few. That loss of opportunity began in the 70's/80's. Those areas became decrepit and hotbeds for drugs and eventually, crime. The culture is just a reflection of circumstance.

Dems should get an "at least you tried" medal. Republicans (and Dems) who gutted the manufacturing in this country should probably get a shovel to the head. But here we are and the genie isn't going back in the bottle.

The policies are likely in place to deal with the rapidly declining opportunities for lower education/lower skilled workers. How many dudes sitting in prison for selling drugs or violence involving drugs grew up in a home that looks anything like their grandparent's home in the 50's/60's. Probably very few. That loss of opportunity began in the 70's/80's. Those areas became decrepit and hotbeds for drugs and eventually, crime. The culture is just a reflection of circumstance.

Dems should get an "at least you tried" medal. Republicans (and Dems) who gutted the manufacturing in this country should probably get a shovel to the head. But here we are and the genie isn't going back in the bottle.
Like many things I think Dems hearts are in the right place. More so than pubs. It’s the business end that lacks. I liken it to my brief tenure in the nonprofit world with all the well intentioned MSWs. I was in allocations. When money would get tight the first person they’d want to cut was the development/grant writing position. Well we can’t cut Betty. She provides direct service. They’d cut their noses off to spite their faces. Reality doesn’t always match up. For lots of Dems that’s true with crime. Bail reform etc.

Reactions: larsIU
I just imagined pick up trucks lining the Sam's Club and rifles out.
Honestly, nobody would win, let me start by saying that.

However, being in a city like Indianapolis that is surrounded by red counties would make the larger Indianapolis populace easier to deal with in some conflict like that. Food for Indy is imported. Shoot up any deliveries attempted into the city for a few days and you start to have scarcity. Turn off the food, turn off the power, turn off the water. It would be a Mad Max in Thunderdome situation in every major city in less than 3 days.

Honestly, nobody would win, let me start by saying that.

However, being in a city like Indianapolis that is surrounded by red counties would make the larger Indianapolis populace easier to deal with in some conflict like that. Food for Indy is imported. Shoot up any deliveries attempted into the city for a few days and you start to have scarcity. Turn off the food, turn off the power, turn off the water. It would be a Mad Max in Thunderdome situation in every major city in less than 3 days.
I'd watch this series.

I'm not joking.

I'd watch this series.

I'm not joking.
I don't think we want to give anybody ideas. We would all end up with a drastically degraded lifestyle if we ever got to the point where what I described seems like a good idea.

Percentage of Chicago's population which is Black is 30% and not 50% as claimed by one poster in this thread. Of those Blacks 32% live in poverty as compared to 9% of Chicago's White population.

Not saying poverty is the sole reason for Black crime in Chicago, but high rates of poverty and crime do seem to go together as can be seen in many states and cities.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I think it was me re 50% Hoot. I was referring to Stl not Chicago
Percentage of Chicago's population which is Black is 30% and not 50% as claimed by one poster in this thread. Of those Blacks 32% live in poverty as compared to 9% of Chicago's White population.

Not saying poverty is the sole reason for Black crime in Chicago, but high rates of poverty and crime do seem to go together as can be seen in many states and cities.

Chicago is really interesting: it's about 30% white, 30% black, 30% latino.

Chicago is really interesting: it's about 30% white, 30% black, 30% latino.
You won't be able to settle on "the" issue because there isn't one issue. Does poverty play a role? Probably. Does culture play a role? Probably. Does race play a role? I don't think so but you can see how some might jump to that conclusion based on a superficial view of the data.

I would say it isn't just poverty because you can go to areas that are full of the same type of generational poverty but do not have other factors mentioned, where the murder rate doesn't hold. I don't believe it is race because you can pull up the cities with the highest percentage of blacks (or largest black populations) and they are not all represented in that murder rate list.

Where you have the issue is where poverty and young black males mix in a heavily urban environment. There is something distinct about mixing those 3 things which is the most combustible. Those areas happen to vote Democrat as well (and have for decades). So where that discussion goes is that if Democrats are not the cause, they are at least not a part of the solution either.

Reactions: jet812
I don't think we want to give anybody ideas. We would all end up with a drastically degraded lifestyle if we ever got to the point where what I described seems like a good idea.
Who was it that said “the next war will be fought with nuclear weapons, but the one after that will be fought with sticks and stones”.

Seems appropriate.

Exactly. It has mostly to do with poverty than it does anything else. 66 just likes the narrative that Dems are to blame for all the bad in the world. He has DDS - Democrat Derangement Syndrome.
Harry I've forgotten more about public administration, city programs, social programs, law enforcement, crime and the court system than you'll ever know. you are wedded to a party and a narrative and excuse and ignore reality. 24 of the 25 most dangerous cities in america are led by dems. 13 percent of the population commits a disproportionate amount of violent crime. that's a race issue. that are plenty of poor whites. you harry are part of the problem and the cycle that never ends. a perfect combination of ignorant and idealistic. defund the police is borne of morons like you.

again 24 out of 25 cities. dems. do you understand that? did you read that? that's not a coincidence. the best practices of what does and doesn't work is out there. dems refuse to follow same because they are lost in their feelz like you. Rudy knew. Read about how Rudy and the agencies worked together to clean up crime in NY. It can be done. That it's not is a choice, by Dems.

Last edited:
You won't be able to settle on "the" issue because there isn't one issue. Does poverty play a role? Probably. Does culture play a role? Probably. Does race play a role? I don't think so but you can see how some might jump to that conclusion based on a superficial view of the data.

I would say it isn't just poverty because you can go to areas that are full of the same type of generational poverty but do not have other factors mentioned, where the murder rate doesn't hold. I don't believe it is race because you can pull up the cities with the highest percentage of blacks (or largest black populations) and they are not all represented in that murder rate list.

Where you have the issue is where poverty and young black males mix in a heavily urban environment. There is something distinct about mixing those 3 things which is the most combustible. Those areas happen to vote Democrat as well (and have for decades). So where that discussion goes is that if Democrats are not the cause, they are at least not a part of the solution either.
black gang culture is where race comes in and accounts for a disproportionate amount of violent crime. In 2020 the city of Stl, comprising less than 300,000 people, had 263 murders. The entire state of West Virginia, a poor state of 1.8 million, had 117 murders. six times the size yet had less than half the murders. And really Stl City has about 140,000 blacks. So 140,000 blacks committed more murders than 1.8 million people in West Virginia. race/culture are absolutely part of it. in keeping with same look at hte percentage of black kids growing up in broken homes compared to white. Stl is kicking around the idea of basic income. allocating 5 mil in fed funding for it. the thresholds will be challenging as you cant elevate people above social programs they qualify for but if they can figure out a decent means test that doesn't screw people it'll be interesting to see. again stl has been run by dems for 75 years. in that time it's become the most dangerous city in america. suburban flight. white flight. company flight. 50 percent black. and the population has gone from 1 million to less than 300,000. pretty great city for a test case on basic income and the relationship between crime and poverty

Last edited:
black gang culture is where race comes in and accounts for a disproportionate amount of violent crime. In 2020 the city of Stl, comprising less than 300,000 people, had 263 murders. The entire state of West Virginia, a poor state of 1.8 million, had 117 murders. six times the size yet had less than half the murders. race/culture are absolutely part of it. Stl is kicking around the idea of basic income. allocating 5 mil in fed funding for it. the thresholds will be challenging as you cant elevate people above social programs they qualify for but if they can figure out a decent means test that doesn't screw people it'll be interesting to see. again stl has been run by dems for 75 years. in that time it's become the most dangerous city in america. suburban flight. white flight. company flight. 50 percent black. and the population has gone from 1 million to less than 300,000. pretty great city for a test case on basic income and the relationship between crime and poverty
White flight?

MM66, help me here.

According to this article the Black flight from St. Louis is much great than the White flight.

The article in part states the following...

Many other African American families are moving out of the city. According to the 2020 census, 27,396 Black people left St. Louis over the past decade and moved to other counties in the region or to other states. During that same period, the city lost 5,334 white residents. St. Louis County picked up 13,367 Black residents, and St. Charles County gained 5,845 Black residents.

The last time St. Louis saw a decline in its Black population was in the 1970s. Today, the number of Black residents in St. Louis is smaller than the Black population in the 1950s.

If this Black flight continues St. Louis might have a White Republican mayor and all its crime problems will disappear. :)

White flight?

MM66, help me here.

According to this article the Black flight from St. Louis is much great than the White flight.

The article in part states the following...

Many other African American families are moving out of the city. According to the 2020 census, 27,396 Black people left St. Louis over the past decade and moved to other counties in the region or to other states. During that same period, the city lost 5,334 white residents. St. Louis County picked up 13,367 Black residents, and St. Charles County gained 5,845 Black residents.

The last time St. Louis saw a decline in its Black population was in the 1970s. Today, the number of Black residents in St. Louis is smaller than the Black population in the 1950s.

If this Black flight continues St. Louis might have a White Republican mayor and all its crime problems will disappear. :)
Whites have been moving out for decades. In 1950 the population was 900,000 and the city itself was the 8th largest in america. today it's down to less than a third of that. whites went to st. charles, jeff co, and stl county. now blacks that are able to leave are leaving. they cite the same issues: crime and schools

black gang culture is where race comes in and accounts for a disproportionate amount of violent crime. In 2020 the city of Stl, comprising less than 300,000 people, had 263 murders. The entire state of West Virginia, a poor state of 1.8 million, had 117 murders. six times the size yet had less than half the murders. race/culture are absolutely part of it. in keeping with same look at hte percentage of black kids growing up in broken homes compared to white. Stl is kicking around the idea of basic income. allocating 5 mil in fed funding for it. the thresholds will be challenging as you cant elevate people above social programs they qualify for but if they can figure out a decent means test that doesn't screw people it'll be interesting to see. again stl has been run by dems for 75 years. in that time it's become the most dangerous city in america. suburban flight. white flight. company flight. 50 percent black. and the population has gone from 1 million to less than 300,000. pretty great city for a test case on basic income and the relationship between crime and poverty
Crazed hit it, there are a lot of factors. Poverty by itself does not appear to be one, but poverty and high-density is.

"There seems to be something about (high-density residential) units that is associated with all types of serious violent crime, even controlling for the other factors in the model," the authors write. "Apparently, high-density housing units promote serious violent crime."​
Generally speaking, the study found higher rates of robbery, aggravated assault and rape in commercial areas, and higher rates of all violent crimes in areas traversed by major streets. It found generally lower violent crime rates in areas with parks, cemeteries and schools.​
Maybe we should reevaluate land use in cities and have less density and more parks? More industry?

There are plenty of theories that higher density causes psychological problems, but I'm not sure that's generally accepted as fact. But that could explain why poor in an urban environment react differently than poor in Harlan County KY (though watching Justified they sure seemed to have the same problems as urban police dramas).

Reactions: larsIU and IUCrazy2
Crazed hit it, there are a lot of factors. Poverty by itself does not appear to be one, but poverty and high-density is.

"There seems to be something about (high-density residential) units that is associated with all types of serious violent crime, even controlling for the other factors in the model," the authors write. "Apparently, high-density housing units promote serious violent crime."​
Generally speaking, the study found higher rates of robbery, aggravated assault and rape in commercial areas, and higher rates of all violent crimes in areas traversed by major streets. It found generally lower violent crime rates in areas with parks, cemeteries and schools.​
Maybe we should reevaluate land use in cities and have less density and more parks? More industry?

There are plenty of theories that higher density causes psychological problems, but I'm not sure that's generally accepted as fact. But that could explain why poor in an urban environment react differently than poor in Harlan County KY (though watching Justified they sure seemed to have the same problems as urban police dramas).
Yeah, MM66 comes across as smart enough to know that WVa has hollars and hills that make it hard to get to other people, whereas dense urban areas, you just walk out the door and there's hundreds of potential victims.

Probably not much inbreeding in St. Louis compared to WVa. I wonder why? Hmmmm

Whites have been moving out for decades. In 1950 the population was 900,000 and the city itself was the 8th largest in america. today it's down to less than a third of that. whites went to st. charles, jeff co, and stl county. now blacks that are able to leave are leaving. they cite the same issues: crime and schools

My article mentioned crime and schools but also mentioned jobs and economic reasons such as more home for the money, shorter commutes, and a brighter future.

Let us face it, Blacks and Whites along with Asians and Hispanics want the same things in life.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

There's absolutely some truth to that but it's already been done. It's why urban planners moved away from Cabrini Green in Chicago and here in Stl the old Pruitt Igoe projects. Countless studies have shown that the high rise projects are not the way to go. build flat and offer ownership opportunities and you will see some improvement. some. saint luois really isn't that dense. the worst crime areas north in the city are hardly dense at all. in fact they are spread out enough that you can't even have beat cops

all of that being said the liberals on the board refuse to admit that there is a racial element to it. a youth gang culture. race is simply an indisputable factor. data supports same.

Reactions: jet812
The northern, urban, liberal is the most racist person in America today. A plurality of them being white and female.

Cities like NYC and Chicago are so segregated to the point that the average white person doesn’t have all that much interaction with people of color. They look at black people especially as novelties or pet projects, devoid of agency.

If you live in Charlotte, Atlanta, Memphis or New Orleans black people aren’t actually black people. They’re your friends, coworkers, fellow citizens.

I recall the words of my Jewish ultra liberal step mom one time on a trip to Savannah. “The black people down here are so nice and friendly, everyone seems to get a long so well”.

The female liberal and the effeminate, male liberal (but I repeat myself) are the most out of touch people in the world.

Reactions: ulrey and jet812
My article mentioned crime and schools but also mentioned jobs and economic reasons such as more home for the money, shorter commutes, and a brighter future.

Let us face it, Blacks and Whites along with Asians and Hispanics want the same things in life.
absolutely. but there are other issues. look at the percentage of black kids growing up without dads. in broken homes etc. gangs fill in. we do all want the same things. the difference is there's a culture issue with young blacks. you can say what you want about being spread out but the reality is that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime. culture is part of that. it's a simple reality. 140,000 blacks in saint louis kill more people than 1.8 million people in west virginia. It’s not just poverty and density and believe me half of saint louis is burned out. they arent sitting on top of each other. they are getting in cars to do it. and the progressives who run the city will never demand accountability from the black community.

Last edited:
There's absolutely some truth to that but it's already been done. It's why urban planners moved away from Cabrini Green in Chicago and here in Stl the old Pruitt Igoe projects. Countless studies have shown that the high rise projects are not the way to go. build flat and offer ownership opportunities and you will see some improvement. some. saint luois really isn't that dense. the worst crime areas north in the city are hardly dense at all. in fact they are spread out enough that you can't even have beat cops

all of that being said the liberals on the board refuse to admit that there is a racial element to it. a youth gang culture. race is simply an indisputable factor. data supports same.

I don't know that there is a disagreement that there is too much violence in mostly Black areas of large cities. We get bogged down into a debate between one group of us saying, "clearly America has no racial or economic problems so this is all on Blacks and how screwed up they are" and another group saying "clearly America is totally racist and the fault lays totally with the White dominated society". We can't break out from those paradigms to dig deep enough to find the HOST of problems (many of which liberals won't like and many of which conservatives won't like).

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I don't know that there is a disagreement that there is too much violence in mostly Black areas of large cities. We get bogged down into a debate between one group of us saying, "clearly America has no racial or economic problems so this is all on Blacks and how screwed up they are" and another group saying "clearly America is totally racist and the fault lays totally with the White dominated society". We can't break out from those paradigms to dig deep enough to find the HOST of problems (many of which liberals won't like and many of which conservatives won't like).
And I don’t know why we can’t do it. As you know I can’t stand progressive policies on the issue of crime. That said as I wrote above they are kicking around basic guaranteed income in the city. I’m for it, as loathsome as it may be to my conservative brethren. It’s something new. It’s fed surplus money anyway. F it. Let’s try it. I’m all for anything that deviates from kicking the same can. If it fails it fails. So what

I went to find a clip of this movie about Cabrini Green and came across two:

The second seems to romanticize living there. I lived two blocks away in the early 2000s. It was not a great place to be. At one point, ambulances and police would shy away from there because they would get shot at.

No I think it’s the parties have lined up on issues. White mass shootings are congruent with gun control so the liberal media loves it. Blacks mass shootings overlap with crime and racism fears and votes so the liberal media doesn’t want to dwell on it. Conversely it fits the republican narrative so they do love it.
It's worse than that, though.

Cute little missing/murdered blonde girls undeniably get more news coverage than cute little missing/murdered black girls.

Your political-bias-taints-news-coverage theory doesn't explain this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT