ADVERTISEMENT

Systemic racism in the media

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

Another mass shooting. This one involved a 3 year old child being shot, along with an 11 year old, a 13 year old, and about a dozen others:

Is it all over national news?

Are the talking heads dissecting it ad nauseum?

Had this happened in a white neighborhood, would the media response have been different (c.f. Delphi murder thread and coverage)?

Another mass shooting. This one involved a 3 year old child being shot, along with an 11 year old, a 13 year old, and about a dozen others:

Had this happened in a white neighborhood, would the media response have been different (c.f. Delphi murder thread and coverage)?
Doesn’t fit the liberal tv narrative

the liberal TV narrative is white people matter more than black people?

Or is it just a reflection of how our society cares more about one than the other and the so called liberal media is complicit in this failure?
No I think it’s the parties have lined up on issues. White mass shootings are congruent with gun control so the liberal media loves it. Blacks mass shootings overlap with crime and racism fears and votes so the liberal media doesn’t want to dwell on it. Conversely it fits the republican narrative so they do love it.

Reactions: larsIU
No I think it’s the parties have lined up on issues. White mass shootings are congruent with gun control so the liberal media loves it. Blacks mass shootings overlap with crime and racism fears and votes so the liberal media doesn’t want to dwell on it. Conversely it fits the republican narrative so they do love it.
Gun control and crime shouldn't be seen as mutually exclusive. But, politics.

Yup. And brad’s right. If it were a white guy it would be all over the national news
I wasn't even thinking about the skin color of the perps (I don't know if we even have evidence about that, although profiling here makes sense). I was talking about the skin color/neighborhood of the victims.

If a wealthy neighborhood vigil became the site of a mass shooting, it would be national news. A white trailer park--I think it would make the news, but maybe not be as widely covered?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I wasn't even thinking about the skin color of the perps (I don't know if we even have evidence about that, although profiling here makes sense). I was talking about the skin color/neighborhood of the victims.

If a wealthy neighborhood vigil became the site of a mass shooting, it would be national news. A white trailer park--I think it would make the news, but maybe not be as widely covered?
Media is destroying us.

I think you are right, but I'll offer a couple of explanations. Remember the Tennessee runner who went missing and was found dead? She was fairly well-to-do. My best guess, she has people in her life who know how to get attention to a cause.

Some of it too is dog bites man. People expect more violence in a trailer park, Black or White, than in the land of mansions.

And I'll suggest this, the media doesn't care about the news but cares about selling papers, eyes on screen, clicks. I will guarantee you that the media knows that a missing 20-year-old White blond woman will get more hits than a missing 20-year-old Black male. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with race. The media is just responding to what WE do.

I think you are right, but I'll offer a couple of explanations. Remember the Tennessee runner who went missing and was found dead? She was fairly well-to-do. My best guess, she has people in her life who know how to get attention to a cause.

Some of it too is dog bites man. People expect more violence in a trailer park, Black or White, than in the land of mansions.

And I'll suggest this, the media doesn't care about the news but cares about selling papers, eyes on screen, clicks. I will guarantee you that the media knows that a missing 20-year-old White blond woman will get more hits than a missing 20-year-old Black male. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with race. The media is just responding to what WE do.
Re your last part, I agree to an extent. I guess I should say that the systemic racism is in the media and the public--it is a lowered expectation about the damage of violence and the need for safety in poor or minority neighborhoods and people.

You see it from all sides. Someone on here from the Left always used to respond to the "chicago is a hell hole" thread with essentially, "I never see it, I live on Mag Mile. Everything is fine here, you all are blowing it out of proportion." I find that kind of thinking gross. It's essentially:

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Re your last part, I agree to an extent. I guess I should say that the systemic racism is in the media and the public--it is a lowered expectation about the damage of violence and the need for safety in poor or minority neighborhoods and people.

You see it from all sides. Someone on here from the Left always used to respond to the "chicago is a hell hole" thread with essentially, "I never see it, I live on Mag Mile. Everything is fine here, you all are blowing it out of proportion." I find that kind of thinking gross. It's essentially:

And antithetical to what Dems purport to care about

Let me turn our expectations on the side a bit. Name the 10 states with the highest violent crime rates (as of 2020)?

But we hear far more about Chicago than Louisiana.

We probably agree, people use or refuse Chicago's problem as part of a narrative. But 8 of those 10 states are fairly red and we don't hear of their problems.

We have an American problem with violence. Parts of Chicago are impacted more than most of the country, parts less. "Those crazy Democrats" that some blame hardly explains why Alaska has a lot of violent crime.

Let me turn our expectations on the side a bit. Name the 10 states with the highest violent crime rates (as of 2020)?

We probably agree, people use or refuse Chicago's problem as part of a narrative. But 8 of those 10 states are fairly red and we don't hear of their problems.

We have an American problem with violence. Parts of Chicago are impacted more than most of the country, parts less. "Those crazy Democrats" that some blame hardly explains why Alaska has a lot of violent crime.
The states have high crime because of the concentrated cities run by liberals. It’s city crime giving the state a bad name. Missouri. Saint Louis. Not much our red gov can do about 75 years of Dems running the city and a progressive mayor. I sometimes wonder how it would look here if it were switched. Dems running the state pubs running the cities

24/25 of the most dangerous cities in America are run by Dems. If that city sits in your state your state will look bad bc of that city.

Last edited:
The states have high crime because of the concentrated cities run by liberals. It’s city crime giving the state a bad name. Missouri. Saint Louis. Not much our red gov can do about 75 years of Dems running the city and a progressive mayor. I sometimes wonder how it would look here if it were switched. Dems running the state pubs running the cities

24/25 of the most dangerous cities in America are run by Dems. If that city sits in your state your state will look bad bc of that city.
Here is an article from 2016 talking about the explosion of violent crime in rural America.

Reactions: hoot1

I don't blame "crazy Dems" for city violence. I think the problem has to be analyzed deeper than that.

I do blame Dems for shutting down areas of inquiry, though, (when they do it) because they think it is racist or whatever, to look into something.

Conversely, I blame Repubs and conservatives who have a "that's just the way it is" attitude. I am still naive enough to think change possible.

Reactions: Cortez88

Chicago??

i'm shocked!!

Reactions: ulrey
Here is an article from 2016 talking about the explosion of violent crime in rural America.

Part of that is meth. Jeff Co here the dockets are all meth shit. But again it’s spread out and the numbers are so much smaller than concentrated cities where crime literally destroys the city. Cities are simply more important

I don't blame "crazy Dems" for city violence. I think the problem has to be analyzed deeper than that.

I do blame Dems for shutting down areas of inquiry, though, (when they do it) because they think it is racist or whatever, to look into something.

Conversely, I blame Repubs and conservatives who have a "that's just the way it is" attitude. I am still naive enough to think change possible.
I absolutely blame Dems. The attack on cops. Budgets. Prosecutorial discretion with progressive DAs. Both parties bear responsibility for the root causes of crime but that 24 of the 25 most dangerous cities in America are run by Dems isn’t a coincidence. These cities could be cleaned up. No question.

Effect of the meth epidemic?
Yep, that was a big part of it (loss of jobs in rural America was also accredited).

But why would we say "oh, poor people, drugs are to blame so it isn't anyone's fault" for rural areas and say "stupid city mayors" for the same problems in cities? Why hasn't rural America been able to kick ass and take names as they demand cities do? Yes, those questions are much more for Mc than you.

Found it interesting that the linked piece didn't mention race. Guess the location of the shooting tells people familiar with Chicago which race was involved.

As per this article some news outlets use the following guidelines in mentioning race..

Newsrooms apply a standard test, according to a 2008 article from the Society of Professional Journalists: “[Is] the racial information useful to people in the community who might know the attacker or want to avoid harm themselves? Or [is] it so general that it only merely contribute to stereotypes about one group or another?”

Can imagine a Black Chicago lawyer showing up at his firm and hearing his fellow white lawyers saying, "See on the news that the Brothers were acting up again last night".

Last edited:

Sensationalism makes the news. Mass drive by shootings in Chicago isn't sensational anymore, unfortunately.

Yep, that was a big part of it (loss of jobs in rural America was also accredited).

But why would we say "oh, poor people, drugs are to blame so it isn't anyone's fault" for rural areas and say "stupid city mayors" for the same problems in cities? Why hasn't rural America been able to kick ass and take names as they demand cities do? Yes, those questions are much more for Mc than you.
I'm not sure anyone is saying that. I think it's just really comparing apples to oranges marv. what's more the type of crime committed is different. but all of the comparison is different. hell the worst county here has a sheriff's dept. They don't have police. I really don't know much at all about rural crime and policing, other than the variety it is. but again it's just so different. the city is concentrated and the rural areas are obviously rural. that has a huge impact on policing. so much of the problems we have here in the city is that the neighborhoods have been blown out so you really can't have beat cops. the cops drive. it's hard to be a part of the community when you drive. it's also harder to police.

shitty answer i know. and of course we just care more about cities. crime in a town of 4,000 doesn't carry the punch of one of 400,000 with businesses threatening to take their jobs elsewhere

Hard to tell what makes a story have legs. The Buffalo mass shooting was big news and it was in a black neighborhood in a grocery store full of mostly poor black people, as far as I could tell.

Last edited:
Hard to tell what makes a story have legs. The Buffalo mass shooting was big news and it was in a black neighborhood in a grocery store full of mostly poor black people, as far as I could tell.
The shooter was white. That just reinforces the points above.

Reactions: NPT
Slightly off topic, but it seems like white people are slowly making their way back into tv commercials. At least young ones are (about 50% remain gay).

White middle aged males are still regulated to playing the role of would be burglars in home security ads.

Slightly off topic, but it seems like white people are slowly making their way back into tv commercials. At least young ones are (about 50% remain gay).

White middle aged males are still regulated to playing the role of would be burglars in home security ads.
It’s been difficult for sure. I actually know the Orkin man. White Middle Aged man. He’s been replaced

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
It’s been difficult for sure. I actually know the Orkin man. White Middle Aged man. He’s been replaced
Take a count of the commercials where the ___________ person( fill in the race) is the idiot and the ______________person (fill in the race) is the smart one.

Listen. How many times will an opening for the Orkin man come up? I fear it’s lost for good
Get back with me if Colin Ferguson is ever replaced as the Maytag Man. Talk about white privilege btw:
1. Jesse White
2. Gordon Jump
3. Hardy Rawls
4. Clay Jackson
5. Colin Ferguson

I guess black people must only buy Whirlpool, LG, Frigidaire, or some such shit.

Not really fair.

I’ll disagree and say that the media is reporting based on what it’s customers are interested in. I don’t think it deserves blame.

do the people in the suburbs who don’t gaf about these stories? I’m willing to listen to arguments but I doubt I’ll be convinced.

I’ve decided not to care because the people in those neighborhoods need to push the change. White or Asian people instructing from the suburbs aren’t going to do anything, for multiple reasons.

So liberals only control big cities in red states?

How close do the 25 most dangerous track the 25 with the highest poverty rate?

I think that goes to the root cause. I don’t know which party, since that is what we are always arguing, is better to deal with it. I don’t think the social programs we’ve seen have been great from the Dems. And if you left it to pubs the underclass may just be ignored completely. So I don’t know. What I do know is if you find a large population of blacks and liberal leaders your chances of a city with high crime are high. The most dangerous city in America is half black and has had Dem leadership for 75 years. That’s a reality. Part of it is a dearth of opportunity. Part is policy. Part is culture. IMO. No one is marching for the black kids killed every weekend. Al sharpton left the building when the Ferguson cameras left

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT