ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise decision

Chasrich

Redshirt
Mar 19, 2017
Can’t imagine going from Kelly Business school to Arkansas. Pretty big difference in academics. He’s a good kid and I wish him well

Can’t imagine going from Kelly Business school to Arkansas. Pretty big difference in academics. He’s a good kid and I wish him well

The Walton College of Business has a ton of connections to the C-Suite in Walmart though. Make fun of Walmart but they do own the namesake of about 4 of the top 10 richest people in the world. Also two other Fortune 500 companies located within 30 minutes of the Arkansas campus. Northwest Arkansas is a rapidly growing area.

He's probably to the point now that he already has his undergraduate degree where he's more interested in making inroads for potential employers.

The Walton College of Business has a ton of connections to the C-Suite in Walmart though. Make fun of Walmart but they do own the namesake of about 4 of the top 10 richest people in the world. Also two other Fortune 500 companies located within 30 minutes of the Arkansas campus. Northwest Arkansas is a rapidly growing area.

He's probably to the point now that he already has his undergraduate degree where he's more interested in making inroads for potential employers.

Ummm, he did NOT go to AR to make inroads at getting a job at Walmart. He's entered his name in the last 2 drafts. Work it out Sherlock.

BTW, I never liked how JS played here, but I do think his moving on might be best for both parties. Maybe Musselman can flip some switches in the kid that Archie never was able to. He does have talent. Personally I don't believe NBA talent, but he's certainly capable of much more than he showed at IU and he was a solid player for us.

Reactions: Chasrich
maybe Ark can get him to change his shooting motion.

IU didn't, thus failed him as far as helping him reach his full potential.

maybe Ark can get him to change his shooting motion.

IU didn't, thus failed him as far as helping him reach his full potential.

Most of what needed to be fixed with JS existed in the 14" between his ears. Many guys have had shots as bad as JS that smoothed them out and developed their game in ways that still allowed them to be effective. He has a lot of tools, but shooting definitely needs to be addressed. It's just not the only issue and I'm not sure even the biggest.

I think it's a good opportunity for Justin. With a degree already in hand, this move was never going to be about academics. This was strictly a basketball decision and one I can respect. Arkansas' two best players from last year have their names in the NBA draft and likely won't be returning to school. This gives Smith an opportunity to not only be one of the highest usage players on the team, but also one of the best players. I think this move makes sense as Musselmen has proven he can whip together a roster of transfers and churn out some decent success.

Reactions: kkott and fpeaugh
Most of what needed to be fixed with JS existed in the 14" between his ears. Many guys have had shots as bad as JS that smoothed them out and developed their game in ways that still allowed them to be effective. He has a lot of tools, but shooting definitely needs to be addressed. It's just not the only issue and I'm not sure even the biggest.

i'll disagree it's not his biggest.drawback.

some guys have very good form/shooting motion, and still aren't good shooters.

that's a tough fix, though time often/sometimes does.

but time won't fix a bad shooting motion, and it's insane imo that coaches don't pressure the player to fix it when they have a motion that will never produce the results they'd like/need.

Sheehey was another i felt could have elevated his game to a higher level had he changed his shot, and i felt the staff totally failed him in not getting him to do so.

if Smith wants to elevate his game to the next level, he'll have to change his shooting motion.

results won't be immediate after a change, but once done, then time has at least a chance to work it's magic.

i'll disagree it's not his biggest.drawback.

some guys have very good form/shooting motion, and still aren't good shooters.

that's a tough fix, though time often/sometimes does.

but time won't fix a bad shooting motion, and it's insane imo that coaches don't pressure the player to fix it when they have a motion that will never produce the results they'd like/need.

Sheehey was another i felt could have elevated his game to a higher level had he changed his shot, and i felt the staff totally failed him in not getting him to do so.

if Smith wants to elevate his game to the next level, he'll have to change his shooting motion.

results won't be immediate after a change, but once done, then time has at least a chance to work it's magic.
You don't recruit a player out of HS to the B1G that can not shoot a lick, neither perimeter jump shots or free throws, and who has severely broken shooting mechanics. It is too late when they are in college 3 years+ to fix them too. Dennis Rodman is the example of how you can become a Hall of Fame player without a jumpshot. Smith is nowhere close to Rodman in rebounding, effort, and energy. Dennis Rodman did not get recruited by D1 schools without a perimeter shot. Crean loved to find the diamond in the rough. But for every Oladipo & OG that he found, Crean found more Hanners & Smith's who could leap through the roof, but had no basketball skills. Thus, his totally inconsistent recruiting results are another reason Crean is no longer at IU.

Last edited:
You don't recruit a player out of HS to the B1G that can not shoot a lick, neither perimeter jump shots or free throws, and who has severely broken shooting mechanics. It is too late when they are in college 3 years+ to fix them too. Dennis Rodman is the example of how you can become a Hall of Fame player without a jumpshot. Smith is nowhere close to Rodman in rebounding, effort, and energy. Dennis Rodman did not get recruited by D1 schools without a perimeter shot. Crean loved to find the diamond in the rough. But for every Oladipo & OG that he found, Crean found more Hanners & Smith's who could leap through the roof, but had no basketball skills. Thus, his totally inconsistent recruiting results are another reason Crean is no longer at IU.

Your irrational hatred for Smith is alarming. There are plenty of questionable shooters in the B10 who still perform at a high-level despite that fact, Smith being one of them. Any time you lose a double-digit scorer who plays all around good defense, that's a problem and anyone who suggests otherwise needs their head examined. There's an opportunity for guys like Jerome Hunter to step up and if he does, great, it significantly softens the blow, but I would have guessed you're going to get a lot more consistency out of Justin Smith next year as a third year starter than you are with Jerome Hunter who now has enormous pressure on him. Smith's transfer is not addition by subtraction by any means.

If Ark was an athletic decision, I hope for him it works.
If a business decision, I hope that works as well.
To the best of my knowledge, he never caused an off court problem at IU.

Reactions: Hoosierfan4eva
Your irrational hatred for Smith is alarming. There are plenty of questionable shooters in the B10 who still perform at a high-level despite that fact, Smith being one of them. Any time you lose a double-digit scorer who plays all around good defense, that's a problem and anyone who suggests otherwise needs their head examined. There's an opportunity for guys like Jerome Hunter to step up and if he does, great, it significantly softens the blow, but I would have guessed you're going to get a lot more consistency out of Justin Smith next year as a third year starter than you are with Jerome Hunter who now has enormous pressure on him. Smith's transfer is not addition by subtraction by any means.
Haters will hate. I’m just waiting to see who these so called coaching/scouting experts on here start blaming for losing games, in place of Smith.

He and others do this every year. They blame the guys who leave as the problem and praise the new guys as the solution. It’s literally every single year. So delusional.

Then why does it matter where he goes to school?

To me it doesn't. He's not playing for IU anymore. It matters to him, I believe because he wants to find a situation where he can improve his standing with NBA teams. AR sounds like it might be a good fit for that. That's the driving force. If he can do that and add to his academic accomplishments and improve opportunities for life after bball, then good for him, especially if he's actually thinking in that manner. But this move is about improving his draft stock, not about making connections for after college. If that were the case, he'd be hard-pressed to find a better network of alumni, players and fans than IU's. It sure wouldn't be any SEC school that isn't UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT