ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court to decide Trump immunity claim

I knew there was a clear before the election but also a re-opening before the election. Guess I had the timeline wrong on the final all clear, which was just 2 days prior to election (after all/most of the early voting).

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/politics/hillary-clinton-email-timeline/index.html

Yet the SCt easily could have put it on their schedule a while ago if it was so important and significant. Their delay just happens to be long enough to delay his trial.. Coincidence or SCt playing politics?

We already know bribed Thomas is about as partisan/sold out as they come so their fairness is open to questioning.
You're insane.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
All good points. But have you considered the fact that Deranged Jack Smith wants it to go faster?
I'm sure he does. He's the prosecutor and he apparently thinks he has a strong winning case, so I'm not surprised. Personally, I'd like to see it go faster too. Seems to me that Americans should know if one of the candidates is a convicted felon before election day. You don't agree that it's an important thing to know? It was important that voters knew that HRC wasn't facing a conviction when the voters voted in 2016 too. I think she was guilty of gross negligence (which is a crime under the law), and I didn't vote for her, but not only because of that. I think we had two pathetic choices in 2016.

Last edited:
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I fear it will end up being one of those SCOTUS opinions where Thomas goes off in his own direction but no other justice joins him, and the others are split up 2-2-3-1 with a variety of 3-4 (5?) other opinions that are not in sync with each other, so no one can really tell if there is a bright line consensus about the law that can provide guidance to the country in the future.

Then, of course, if it goes against Trump, they won't issue their opinion sufficiently in advance of the election to get him removed from all the ballots.

We don't know what SCOTUS will do, but we do know what Trump will do. The SCOTUS refusal to expedite this case cries out for a massive voter turnout against Trump to make sure he doesn't get reelected and cause further chaos by pardoning himself.
I predict a unanimous decision against immunity, at worst 8 to 1.

SCOTUS isn't refusing to expedite. I'd prefer that they do it faster, but according to every report I've read they're actually taking an expedited approach to the case.

He did nothing illegal even if the court concludes it was outside of his scope of duties. And it's not going to trial before election which was the entire point of this giant farce. It's dead.
You think he did nothing illegal because you believe any and everything that Trump says. You're a slavishly devoted Trump sycophant. You should be embarrassed by your worshipful behavior toward Trump. You have TDS. Your extreme devotion to Trump has made you deranged and destroyed all your objectivity. Did you pledge an oath to support and defend Trump as your savior?

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Do you think the Supremes and find no absolute immunity apples to the office of president, or will they rule absolute immunity exists but this conduct is not within that scope? If they rely on the latter, wouldn’t there need to be an evidentiary record and findings about what Trump intended?

Last edited:
You think he did nothing illegal because you believe any and everything that Trump says. You're a slavishly devoted Trump sycophant. You should be embarrassed by your worshipful behavior toward Trump. You have TDS. Your extreme devotion to Trump has made you deranged and destroyed all your objectivity. Did you pledge an oath to support and defend Trump as your savior?
I don’t think you need to be a Trump sycophant to find he didn’t commit a crime. But Guilt or innocence isnot the same as immunity or no immunity.

FWIW, if Trump is convicted on the KKK statute, I think Blinken should also be in prison. His public fraud was more effective and according to polling, made a difference.

Reactions: jet812
how is trump going to claim that trying to undermine the election and steal classified documents was an official act? Now are we going to argue about the definition of official?
Smith alleged Trump acted officially on J6. That question is off the table.

Oral argument the week of Apr 22. Decision probably not until late June. It's likely the Court will rule against Trump, but it's looking more likely that he'll be able to run out the clock (his singular goal) and delay the trial until after the election.

Smith asked the Court to decide this issue in December and they punted. Pathetic.
No trial before the election now. Looks like BIden will have to win fair and square now. You know let the voters actaully decide.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I understand exactly the appeals bond. High net worth people get it with a surety and indemnity agreement. Companies do the same thing. In this case 500 mil is too much for a surety so trump has to come up with the cash which because he isn’t liquid doesn’t happen overnight. Musk probably couldn’t either
Then he needs to come out with new MAGA products in a hurry.

Edit to ask: Didn't Trump wait until the last possible day to file his request? He knew his liquidity status but delayed once again.

You have the audacity to say that after Smith waited years to bring charges 😂
The same liberals who cheer on all the left wing judges in NYC are now mad because the Supreme Court is following regular proceedure and did not ram a decision through. Just comical. I thought Trump was so easy to beat so why is bowlmania and his crew so mad? Biden should easily be able to beat trump if trump is as awful as they claim he is. Why do they need the courts?

I hope you're right but here's how the supreme court described the issue:

"Whether and if so to what extent does a former President enjoy presidential immunity from criminal prosecution for conduct alleged to involve official acts during his tenure in office."​

It does not say the question is limited to immunity for undisputed, bona fide "official acts". It's much broader: "conduct alleged to involve official acts."

We don't know what they mean by "alleged" (is "alleging it" all it takes to create immunity?) or by "involve" (does using a president's White House phone in the Oval Office to make an improper phone call "involve" his official acts?).

I'm more pessimistic than you are. Thomas and Alioto (and likely Gorsuch and Roberts) are already in Trump's pocket,
You only say that because you're just as partisan against the Republican appointed justices as some are as partisan against the Democrat appointed justices. This Supreme Court has issued many unanimous decisions and has ruled against Trump on several occasions.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Why is the Supreme Court gutless?
As I posted elsewhere, in Bush v Gore, SCOTUS issued its ruling exactly one day after oral arguments due to the pressing importance of the issue.

This time they are stumbling along like it's just another case. They should have expedited it, but three of them are Trump appointees and two others are just as radical, so .....

Reactions: Bill4411
I knew there was a clear before the election but also a re-opening before the election. Guess I had the timeline wrong on the final all clear, which was just 2 days prior to election (after all/most of the early voting).

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/politics/hillary-clinton-email-timeline/index.html

Yet the SCt easily could have put it on their schedule a while ago if it was so important and significant. Their delay just happens to be long enough to delay his trial.. Coincidence or SCt playing politics?

We already know bribed Thomas is about as partisan/sold out as they come so their fairness is open to questioning.
No. Trump didn't appeal the AC decision until 17 days ago (16 since the day of that appeal). That's when the clock started. SCOTUS doesn't just jump in and take up an issue without it going through the process.

SCOTUS isn't refusing to expedite. I'd prefer that they do it faster, but according to every report I've read they're actually taking an expedited approach to the case.
In Bush v Gore, SCOTUS issued its ruling one day after oral argument, about one month altogether after the 2000 election. Now, that's expediting a case.

No question the current SCOTUS could move faster if it wanted.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You only say that because you're just as partisan against the Republican appointed justices as some are as partisan against the Democrat appointed justices. This Supreme Court has issued many unanimous decisions and has ruled against Trump on several occasions.
I won't dispute that I'm highly suspicious of those justices.

What did you make of SCOTUS' use of "alleged" and "involved" in that order?

Do you think the Supremes and find no absolute immunity apples to the office of president, or will they rule absolute immunity exists but this conduct is not within that scope? If they rely on the latter, wouldn’t there need to be an evidentiary record and findings about what Trump intended?
At least the latter. I actually don't think the President should have absolute immunity at all. Sure, immunity from frivolous prosecutions and lawsuits related to policy. However, if Biden decided Harris was such a drag on his ticket that he decided to off her and try to make it look like an accident, should he have immunity from a murder prosecution when he's caught? Absolute immunity to commit serious crimes seems absurd to me.

Reactions: Bill4411 and NPT
I won't dispute that I'm highly suspicious of those justices.

What did you make of SCOTUS' use of "alleged" and "involved" in that order?
A determination hasn’t been made.

None of this matters. Trump won. He won’t be tried before the election. He wins the presidency and is never tried or loses the election and the public doesn’t care what happens to trump.

Trump Biden 2024. Sad

In Bush v Gore, SCOTUS issued its ruling one day after oral argument, about one month altogether after the 2000 election. Now, that's expediting a case.

No question the current SCOTUS could move faster if it wanted.
As I said previously, that was under entirely different circumstances and the deadline for resolving that was very rapidly approaching.

I don’t think you need to be a Trump sycophant to find he didn’t commit a crime. But Guilt or innocence isnot the same as immunity or no immunity.

FWIW, if Trump is convicted on the KKK statute, I think Blinken should also be in prison. His public fraud was more effective and according to polling, made a difference.
I read the document case indictment. Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I really think Trump is probably toast on that one. Rightly so too. I'm sick of civilians getting off or getting off lightly in highly classified document cases.

I don't know what the KKK statute is. However, if you think Blinken is guilty of violating it then I guess you'd consider Trump guilty of violating it too.

A determination hasn’t been made.

None of this matters. Trump won. He won’t be tried before the election. He wins the presidency and is never tried or loses the election and the public doesn’t care what happens to trump.

Trump Biden 2024. Sad
The only trial this impacts is the election case in DC. The others can go forward. Now there's actually more room to make them happen as they need to coordinate so Trump is only facing one trial at a time because he has a right to be at the trials.

Reactions: Stuffshot
I must say that if Trump gets what he wants and wins the election we're gonna have a lot of people on here that will have to go to the funny farm afterwards. 🤣 🤣

I must say that if Trump gets what he wants and wins the election we're gonna have a lot of people on here that will have to go to the funny farm afterwards. 🤣 🤣
Join all the nutbags who voted a criminal into office

TO the inverse of MLK's great message; Justice ramrodded to prevent a proper defense from being developed, is justice denied. (or in short, It's Dem's and Rhino's (I know that is redundant) committing election interference against their leading opponent) (or even shorter, its Centralized Autocracy or Forcible Suppression of Opposition). It's being done in a pretty obvious way, really).

At least the latter. I actually don't think the President should have absolute immunity at all. Sure, immunity from frivolous prosecutions and lawsuits related to policy. However, if Biden decided Harris was such a drag on his ticket that he decided to off her and try to make it look like an accident, should he have immunity from a murder prosecution when he's caught? Absolute immunity to commit serious crimes seems absurd to me.
No one is arguing that.

Smith wanted the claim dismissed out of hand, but since he knew the Court couldn't not keep its hands off it he wanted them to take it up quickly to avoid the delay that would come from going up the usual ladder. You know that.

Roberts controls the calendar and the schedule. They mulled this over for what, four weeks... and will hear it seven weeks from now. Who fvcking knows how long it will take to issue a ruling. Which will be a denial of Trump's claim. But no matter, it will push the trial off until long after the voters will have a chance to know whether they're voting for a convicted felon or not. Delay delay delay.
I guess I'm used to it and don't see this as anything out of the ordinary. Hell, I have three cases right now in three different courts that have been fully briefed for a year and the judges haven't done anything. In relation to that, the SCt is acting as light speed.

I guess I'm used to it and don't see this as anything out of the ordinary. Hell, I have three cases right now in three different courts that have been fully briefed for a year and the judges haven't done anything. In relation to that, the SCt is acting as light speed.

This isn't a trial, it's a hearing on a preposterous theory of "total, absolute immunity." It's obvious to me the Court doesn't appreciate the urgency involved in deciding this issue, which of course plays into Trump's hands. They've even gone so far as to reframe the question, giving themselves the opportunity to parse their ruling in such a manner as to send it back down to the District or Appeals Court for further hearings and deliberations. Delay delay delay.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT