ADVERTISEMENT

Supply chains

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
  • China has an energy shortage.
  • Europe has an energy shortage.
  • Backlog of 200 container ships waiting to load at Chinese ports
  • Backlog of 60 container ships waiting to unload at Long Beach and L.A.
  • transportation labor shortage all over U.S.
Energy Prices will be zooming up which means all prices will be zooming up. Vaccine mandates will make hiring more difficult and labor shortage worse. Energy will be further limited. Wild ride ahead, hang on to your hats if you can find one.

Last edited:
Energy Prices will be zooming up which means all prices will be zooming up. Vaccine mandates will make hiring more difficult and labor shortage worse. Energy will be further limited. Wild ride ahead, hang on to your hats if you can find one.

Obviously not as important as energy but my office supply client warned me late last week that copy paper not only is going through the roof in price but he worried supply could non existent in tax season. I bought three pallets at a crazy high price and I am storing it in my young partner’s heated pole building.

I hope mice don’t find my stash. LOL.

Obviously not as important as energy but my office supply client warned me late last week that copy paper not only is going through the roof in price but he worried supply could non existent in tax season. I bought three pallets at a crazy high price and I am storing it in my young partner’s heated pole building.

I hear these guys have good prices and plenty of product...

poster,840x830,f8f8f8-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

total disaster. we use fedex and dhl and are seeing our deliveries being rerouted constantly. "shipment delay" after "shipment delay." ****ing nightmare. labor shortages

Reactions: vesuvius13
We just had a couple positions open for which we've normally hired at a strating wage of $15/hr. Our HR is reluctant to allow us to raise that.

Guess we'll fill those two positions about never.

You're an easy mark.

I heard buggy prices are going through the roof - not to mention the price of a decent horse these days.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
You're an easy mark.
You believe there will be no shortage?
Producer Price Index: Pulp, Paper & Allied Products: Wood Pulp

November 2020 142.0, April 2021 189.2, June 2021 207.9 and August 2021 210.1.

Yea, I am an easy mark.

You believe there will be no shortage?
Producer Price Index: Pulp, Paper & Allied Products: Wood Pulp

November 2020 142.0, April 2021 189.2, June 2021 207.9 and August 2021 210.1.

Yea, I am an easy mark.
And, yet, still not back to its pre-pandemic high of 222. Right now the price is a little below the March 2018 price.

(I also note that you omitted July 2021 when it was 216.9.)

Great place to visit for a fun Friday night. You can buy goats, chickens, horses, baked goods, almost any junk you can think of. Best of all you can meet a few Stolls. 😂

Edit: I can arrange a great bed and breakfast a mile up the road and you can make it a weekend. Some fantastic quilts to be purchased.

And, yet, still not back to its pre-pandemic high of 222. Right now the price is a little below the March 2018 price.

(I also note that you omitted July 2021 when it was 216.9.)
All I can tell you is other CPA offices are also buying paper supplies now for tax season.

They aren’t all right wing nuts like me.

All I can tell you is other CPA offices are also buying paper supplies now for tax season.

They aren’t all right wing nuts like me.
So you're telling me we should be blaming the high prices on luddite accountants.

Reactions: UncleMark
We just had a couple positions open for which we've normally hired at a strating wage of $15/hr. Our HR is reluctant to allow us to raise that.

Guess we'll fill those two positions about never.
Sounds like IU is having the same problem.

So you're telling me we should be blaming the high prices on luddite accountants.
I guess we all are resisting change.

I’ve tried to encourage clients to access their returns through a secure online portal we can provide. To date there’s not any interest. After all we are a bunch of rubes and hillbillies in Southern Indiana.

Could the California fires having anything to do with the higher cost of office paper ?

Could the California fires having anything to do with the higher cost of office paper ?
This article says labor shortages at the mills.

i think the lion's share of issues we're facing are labor-related. my lawn guy told me he can no longer commit to certain days/dates. he can't find anyone to work. time to buy a mower i guess.

shit ton of people sitting at the border that'd be happy to cut lawns i bet

i think the lion's share of issues we're facing are labor-related. my lawn guy told me he can no longer commit to certain days/dates. he can't find anyone to work. time to buy a mower i guess.

shit ton of people sitting at the border that'd be happy to cut lawns i bet
My lawn guy keeps threatening to quit but then my wife tells me I can't.

Looking online, we have two problems. Older people left the workforce in the largest numbers ever during COVID, and they are not returning in the rates expected.

Younger people have developed a different attitude toward work. They much rather would do what they like. And they really love the gig economy. Two years ago I heard a Duke economics professor, a Libertarian, talk about the future of work. It appears he may have been correct. He said young people wanted to work enough to get them what they need, but not to be rich at some future point. He said it was increasingly common for the young to work a gig for 6-8 months, save all they can, then quit and take a month or two to travel and enjoy life. Rinse and repeat. Maybe we have a generation coming not bound by keeping up with the Joneses.

Plus it appears a lot of retail and restaurant employees have decided that dealing with jerks isn't worth it. I have seen a few restaurants close early because they were short staffed and customers were becoming quite rude. The managers decided they couldn't afford for their workers to get fed up and quit.

Stop feeding the barn cat.

My lawn guy keeps threatening to quit but then my wife tells me I can't.

Looking online, we have two problems. Older people left the workforce in the largest numbers ever during COVID, and they are not returning in the rates expected.

Younger people have developed a different attitude toward work. They much rather would do what they like. And they really love the gig economy. Two years ago I heard a Duke economics professor, a Libertarian, talk about the future of work. It appears he may have been correct. He said young people wanted to work enough to get them what they need, but not to be rich at some future point. He said it was increasingly common for the young to work a gig for 6-8 months, save all they can, then quit and take a month or two to travel and enjoy life. Rinse and repeat. Maybe we have a generation coming not bound by keeping up with the Joneses.

Plus it appears a lot of retail and restaurant employees have decided that dealing with jerks isn't worth it. I have seen a few restaurants close early because they were short staffed and customers were becoming quite rude. The managers decided they couldn't afford for their workers to get fed up and quit.
well at least you know if she's bangin the lawn guy!!

all true re the reasons you cite along with stimulus money and enhanced unemployment and day care issues and having to take care of sick family members and on and on

Last edited:

Marv, my take on the article involved the emphasis on mills switching to box paper products to meet the e-commerce demand created by the pandemic. Folks ordering products on the internet which are delivered to homes in cardboard boxes.

my playing days may not be over. just waiting for the right opportunity

Love it!

From the picture, he reminds me of Akinfenwa (though that's a bit unfair, as Akinfenwa is actually pretty good):

s-l500.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Love it!

From the picture, he reminds me of Akinfenwa (though that's a bit unfair, as Akinfenwa is actually pretty good):

s-l500.jpg
For anyone who is not familiar with Akinfenwa, he plays for Wycombe in the English League One (two levels below the Premier League). In other words, he's probably good enough to play in the MLS. Oh, and he's massive:

adebayo-akinfenwa--celebrando-el-ascenso-a-league-one-con-el-entrenador-su-equipo--el-wycombe-wanders--twitter-darealakinfenwa.jpg

total disaster. we use fedex and dhl and are seeing our deliveries being rerouted constantly. "shipment delay" after "shipment delay." ****ing nightmare. labor shortages
Fed ex is horrible. If I have choice I will not use them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT