ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Q&A: De'Ron Davis

snowling

Hall of Famer
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - With the spring academic semester completed and summer school underway, we caught up with sophomore De'Ron Davis to get his thoughts on summer workouts, his offseason goals and the NBA Playoffs.

How important is the summer to you?
"Summer is critical to your success academically and on the court. Anything you can do to stay ahead makes a big difference."

What classes are you taking?
"I'm taking Labor Studies, a History class and a Stress Management class."

What are some goals that you have for yourself this summer to be able to take on a larger role with the team next year?
"First, I need to continue to get into better shape like I have been doing all year. I'm continuing to push my body by doing a lot of strength and conditioning to help tone my body. It's important to get all the work I can right now. I know a lot is expected of me and I want to make sure I take care of everything I need to do so I can take the next step."

Last year, you were not able to be on campus over the summer. How important is it for you to be able to be here this summer to continue to improve as a student and on the court?
"You can talk about things, you can think about things and people can tell you what it's like to play at this level, but really until you go through it, you don't know what it is like."

What do you like to do with your down time over the summer with your teammates?
"I'm rooming with Curtis Jones and Devonte Green and we play NBA 2K17 a lot or go to the movies. I haven't had the chance just yet, but I like to go fishing too."

Speaking of movies, what is one movie you have seen recently that you would recommend or one that you are looking forward to coming out?
"I like action movies and 'The Fate of the Furious' – the most recent Fast and Furious movie was tough. 'Pirates of the Caribbean' comes out soon and that should be good. 'Transformers' is coming out soon and that's the one I think is going to be real good. Everyone should go see that one."

You had a chance to now get out with the weather being nice and watch softball and baseball in your free time, how much do other athletes like to go out and watch their classmates compete:
"It gives us something else to do and look forward to after a hard day's work. The weather is great right now so whenever we can go out and enjoy the sun and watch a couple innings of baseball it feels great. Looking forward to watching our guys in the Big Ten Tournament next week."

Who are you rooting for in the NBA Playoffs right now?
"I'm rooting for LeBron and the Cavs. I think they are going to sweep the Celtics and then rest up to beat the Warriors in six games with LeBron building on his legacy."

What is the biggest takeaway you learned from last season?
"Be ready, be at your best and you never know how you can impact a game. I remember making the free throws in my first game against Kansas and how that was such a big win for all of us. I talk a lot with Devonte and Curtis about the same thing that they went through. All of them had moments where they played like they were the best player on the floor, but what we learned is that doing it consistently is what makes you great. All of us have to think that way."

What else are you looking forward to this summer?
"Looking forward to getting to work with kids this summer. The guys tell me we have a lot of fun working camps and it can be really competitive amongst the players as to whose team is the best. We have a lot of hard working guys and this is the time of year we can build some great chemistry."

iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/5/19/mens-basketball-summer-q-a-de-ron-davis.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: T.M.P.
Most Improved IU player will likely be one of the three roomates CuJo, DeRon, or Devonte or all three!

Reactions: birdforpar
Most Improved IU player will likely be one of the three roomates CuJo, DeRon, or Devonte or all three!
I watched a replay of last season's game at Purdue on BTN a couple days ago. I was pleased to see how well Green played. I think he will be ready to go next year.

I watched a replay of last season's game at Purdue on BTN a couple days ago. I was pleased to see how well Green played. I think he will be ready to go next year.
He was one that I was surprised to see his minutes cut some at the end of the season. He seemed to be making a positive difference when he was in the games. I agree that DG should see a more significant role this year and hope he meets the new coach's expectations.

Lineup Prediction: Green, (Newkirk or Johnson), Smith, Morgan, Davis
Bench: Jones, Hartman, Moore, Freddie, Durham

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
There is no way that Johnson and Hartman won't start. At least in the beginning of the season.

There is no way that Johnson and Hartman won't start. At least in the beginning of the season.
I tend to see Hartman in the role Max B played for us. Some starts and definitely quality minutes. I think he is prepping for a future coaching spot. Anything we get from him is good and I hope he can play at end of the season. He is a coach on the floor.

RJ was my favorite as a sophomore. Led by example and played big moments well. Had a big steal in win at home against Wisconsin that got IU rolling. Last year he did not play with the same qualities but I hope he can find his passion for the game again.

I do not believe Archie will play guys just because they may think they deserve it. He will play who helps the team the most. If its RJ, even better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT