ADVERTISEMENT

Still hate us kicking short

I still don't understand us kicking the ball so short because yesterday UM was usually starting their drive at the 35-40 yard line.
I agree,if you are worried about a long run back change the personnel on the coverage team or at least kick it hard on the ground.
Those high ‘pooch’ kicks are giving away too good of field position.

Reactions: IUCol
I agree,if you are worried about a long run back change the personnel on the coverage team or at least kick it hard on the ground.
Those high ‘pooch’ kicks are giving away too good of field position.
And one of the kicks wet out of bounds getting them the ball at the 35

Reactions: CC Mac
I hate short kick offs also. Especially since opening kickoff went out of endzone. Still kicking same direction on next kickoff we kick it short did the wind switch direction?

Every pooch kick gave Michigan a starting field position of at least the 35 yard line. I think it is natural for new coaches to want to do something clever that will gain notice. Most of of what CTA has tried regarding special teams has not worked. On the bright side is not nearly as bad as CKW's bonehead moves.

Hopefully we will not see the pooch kick next week.

I still don't understand us kicking the ball so short because yesterday UM was usually starting their drive at the 35-40 yard line.
yeah, wtf is up with that? another bonehead decision by allen. i suppose since we never return kicks, we don't know how to cover them

Playing the odds. Look at PSU game. Big returns. We’re just avoiding the big play because our special teams play isn’t that special. I expect the same against Boilers.
It’s not the worst decision.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1
If R. Moore is returning kicks for the Toiletmakers, I expect Coach Allen will continue with the short kicks.

Playing the odds. Look at PSU game. Big returns. We’re just avoiding the big play because our special teams play isn’t that special. I expect the same against Boilers.
It’s not the worst decision.
Go Hoosiers!
letting your opponent start every possession at the 35-40 is not the worst decision? i would guess if there exists an ncaa stat for worst allowed starting field position following kickoffs we would be first...or last

If R. Moore is returning kicks for the Toiletmakers, I expect Coach Allen will continue with the short kicks.
might as well just kick it out of bounds just to be extra sure. don't know how you can expect to inspire confidence in your team when you are telling them you don't trust them to make the tackles and cover kicks like every other team can

I agree with possibly sends odd message to the team. When Allen has said "we have about 7-9 freshman out there" then I say - change personnel.

Many of the kickoffs had been going out of bounds, so not really tiring out starters, per se. And NOT having back-breaking KO returns is probably worth playing better players. But being afraid to kick off and handing them the ball at 35-40 every start is no way to win the field position battle.

That is an area Tom Allen has to figure out better for next year, or hire a top notch S/T Coordinator who can.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
I know this is grade A armchair QBing, but given that 6 different UM drives stalled out at the 15-20 yard line (ie most of their scoring drives seemed to be only about 45 yards), you have to wonder how things could have turned out had those drives started at the 20-25, not the 35-40.

I do follow the logic a bit, but I think it’s going to be aweful hard to beat superior teams if you keep gifting them awesome field position all night.

The other side of the coin is that IU has had several games on the past two years where you felt like they played even in all facets except a few ST gaffes, and they lost those games. So I do understand TA saying ok whatever happens we are not losing this game on kick returns!

I agree with possibly sends odd message to the team. When Allen has said "we have about 7-9 freshman out there" then I say - change personnel.

Many of the kickoffs had been going out of bounds, so not really tiring out starters, per se. And NOT having back-breaking KO returns is probably worth playing better players. But being afraid to kick off and handing them the ball at 35-40 every start is no way to win the field position battle.

That is an area Tom Allen has to figure out better for next year, or hire a top notch S/T Coordinator who can.
I don’t think special teams coordinator is allowed to cover kicks.

Last edited:
It's all about "protecting" the team from it's own tendencies. I hate short kicks...I hate run backs for scores even more. Wish there was some middle ground but for now apparently not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT