ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Hoosiers, August

And who is going to hit a freaking jump shot?
Gunn will be on target, unloading all cylinders. Seriously folks, talk about a kid under pressure to preform. We’ve all been there and if you think you haven’t, you will. I am of the age where blue pills and this new disease, ED, coincided with need. I only heard it once, “Does this happen to you very often?” and once was once too much. Thank you, Pfizer and your better loving through chemistry. We assume your anonymous inventor, Savior of Man, got a big boner…excuse me, big bonus for his extra effort.

Maybe when Gunn is introduced in the starting lineup his theme song played on the PA will be Queen’s “Under Pressure.” That would add value to the price of admission, at least for me and any other aged hippie burning his last ember.

But is Cupps crafty enough to get open to take those jumpers he’s about to hit?
I watched him and Reed Shepard play together a couple of times and Cupps was as good as Shepard. But I guess you can say he’s no To-mar Bates.

I watched him and Reed Shepard play together a couple of times and Cupps was as good as Shepard. But I guess you can say he’s no To-mar Bates.
The thing that stood out, to me, when watching Cupps on the various games he's played on national TV the last 2 years...he appears very comfortable playing at pretty much any speed or pace, and playing with and against bigger and better athletes.

He's not flashy like a Braden Smith. He's not big and strong like a JHS. He's a really good game managing point guard, that is sneaky athletic, and longer than he appears.

He has 2 senior, really good guards in front of him this year, so I wouldn't expect anything huge from him. But I'm predicting he'll be more than comfortable leading the team if X gets hurt, or if he gets in foul trouble.

Bates sure was a mis guess by a lot of people. No idea why.
Hope he does ok where ever he is. Better get a degree and take your Covid year for a masters.

The thing that stood out, to me, when watching Cupps on the various games he's played on national TV the last 2 years...he appears very comfortable playing at pretty much any speed or pace, and playing with and against bigger and better athletes.

He's not flashy like a Braden Smith. He's not big and strong like a JHS. He's a really good game managing point guard, that is sneaky athletic, and longer than he appears.

He has 2 senior, really good guards in front of him this year, so I wouldn't expect anything huge from him. But I'm predicting he'll be more than comfortable leading the team if X gets hurt, or if he gets in foul trouble.
Be interesting to see if the opponent's backcourt allows it, if we might play Cupps and X together some. Maybe against a team that presses or to allow X to focus more on scoring and driving.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
Bates sure was a mis guess by a lot of people. No idea why.
Hope he does ok where ever he is. Better get a degree and take your Covid year for a masters.
What do you mean, no idea? His mind was on his new born kid. Not basketball.

Okay, I won’t argue with that but it seems like they do a better job marketing themselves. Danials gave them garnishments of clout, some attention there for awhile. I haven’t heard much from our president, the new gal, but that might be just me. Has anything earth shattering been proclaimed besides Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Protocol, the rules and regulations of the newly Woken?
IU has always gotten bogged down by its “party school” tag, bestowed back when meat was eaten rare without the scare.
The new gal. Oh my Lord, Gramps.

Reactions: Lucy01
Gunn will be on target, unloading all cylinders. Seriously folks, talk about a kid under pressure to preform. We’ve all been there and if you think you haven’t, you will. I am of the age where blue pills and this new disease, ED, coincided with need. I only heard it once, “Does this happen to you very often?” and once was once too much. Thank you, Pfizer and your better loving through chemistry. We assume your anonymous inventor, Savior of Man, got a big boner…excuse me, big bonus for his extra effort.

Maybe when Gunn is introduced in the starting lineup his theme song played on the PA will be Queen’s “Under Pressure.” That would add value to the price of admission, at least for me and any other aged hippie burning his last ember.
Could really do without your sex life

Reactions: Lucy01
Could really do without your sex life
My sex life will someday be your sex life. Enjoy your EMB’s now for here today gone tomorrow. You’ll be sneaking those little blue diamonds, too.
The new gal. Oh my Lord, Gramps.
Calloused minds have a difficult time keeping up with your people’s new rules and regulations, the stifling paradigm shift of Far Left, Woken.

My sex life will someday be your sex life. Enjoy your EMB’s now for here today gone tomorrow. You’ll be sneaking those little blue diamonds, too.

Calloused minds have a difficult time keeping up with your people’s new rules and regulations, the stifling paradigm shift of Far Left, Woken.
Please keep your slack jawed political crap off the basketball board. You weirdos just can't STFU, can you?

TIA

In his defense, zeke can't just shake her head and move past it. She has to weigh in and keep it going.

Please keep your slack jawed political crap off the basketball board. You weirdos just can't STFU, can you?

TIA

Reactions: T.M.P.
We had a top 20 pick at pg last year with TJD
JHS was drafted largely on potential rather than performance as he made a shit-ton of freshman mistakes and was wildly inconsistent as a scorer. Per usual, your analysis/assessments aren't worth spit.

Woodson is not a college coach

Why does it matter if they are back? We can’t win with them now. Woodson needs to retire and they hire a damn good coach. Somebody that can recruit and build a team not just star chase.

Woodson needs to go! He is awful

Woodson isn’t the answer. This was so predictable when they hired him.

This team from Woodson down has zero leadership. We are looking like we may be the last place team in the BIG in a year we were predicted to win it. Embarrassing program right now

• Love
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Be interesting to see if the opponent's backcourt allows it, if we might play Cupps and X together some. Maybe against a team that presses or to allow X to focus more on scoring and driving.
Could be... I'm hopeful Woody wants to push the pace a little more this year. X is obviously VERY fast with the ball...Trey is comfortable in transition...and I think CJ and Gabe would also thrive in a faster tempo game.

Well trey and X will make those guards miserable. X is a grown man. Michigan states guards will to
Braden and Fletcher played great against MSU last year. Hell, Loyer basically won the game for Purdue at MSU. Both guys were Honorable Mention all Big-Ten as true freshman, have Trey or X ever been named that? You'll find out that last season, IU was better because JHS was moved on the ball... due to X's injury.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
A lot of valid concerns noted but comparing this team to last season's is pointless right now. This team will not play the same style on offense. Hoping they are much better on defense, but no idea. Can they shoot? We assume no or not well enough. Not sure ball handling is a weakness or strength. At this time, we have no clue.

What we do know is they are more athletic overall. They have size. They have young talent that hasn't played together or at this level. They have some vets, including their PG. Always a plus. They have potential.

I'm trying to get away from the TJD, grind it out mindset, hoping he can carry them cross the finish line. I'm expecting a team effort where the opponent can't predict what's going to happen.

Reactions: bkiefer7
Braden and Fletcher played great against MSU last year. Hell, Loyer basically won the game for Purdue at MSU. Both guys were Honorable Mention all Big-Ten as true freshman, have Trey or X ever been named that? You'll find out that last season, IU was better because JHS was moved on the ball... due to X's injury.
Not defensively. X can do everything JHS can plus is a better defender.

Team just got done with an 8 week summer stent mainly focusing on strength. This group of guys will be the hardest working team we have had in a long while. The players have actually been told multiple times to stop working out. The stamina and conditioning will be second to none.

Sounds like Payton is the real deal. Expect him to play a lot. True big with B1G strength and great finishing ability. I expect 1st off the bench for Malik or Ware.

KB has shown a jump, I think he has progressed more than CJ at this point. Things can change, but KB is looking like the 7th man right now.

Mack is the real deal, I expect him to be our leading scorer and 1st round pick. Our ceiling is gonna depend on him and Ware.

X is a grown ass man. Been fun watching him mature. If you don’t do dumb shit, you can’t learn from it. X will show everyone what a great leader he is this year. The work gym rat mentality starts with him, they all follow. No question who the leader is.
Good stuff!

A lot of valid concerns noted but comparing this team to last season's is pointless right now. This team will not play the same style on offense. Hoping they are much better on defense, but no idea. Can they shoot? We assume no or not well enough. Not sure ball handling is a weakness or strength. At this time, we have no clue.

What we do know is they are more athletic overall. They have size. They have young talent that hasn't played together or at this level. They have some vets, including their PG. Always a plus. They have potential.

I'm trying to get away from the TJD, grind it out mindset, hoping he can carry them cross the finish line. I'm expecting a team effort where the opponent can't predict what's going to happen.
If the rumor(from woody) is true and we could see Banks at the 2. Wow that’s a lot of length. 6,3” 6’8” 6’8” 7’and 6’9” line up. And most have a 7’ + wingspan. Plus these guys aren’t exactly slow either.

X’s play last season was horrendous before he got hurt, What makes you think he will be better this season?
JHS was good but let’s not act like he was stellar on the defensive end or wasn’t a turnover machine at times. X will be better. Imho. Defensively it’s not even close. Stay on topic. It’s about defense. I threw JHS in there because of the doofus above.

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
JHS was good but let’s not act like he was stellar on the defensive end or wasn’t a turnover machine at times. X will be better. Imho. Defensively it’s not even close. Stay on topic. It’s about defense. I threw JHS in there because of the doofus above.
I damn sure wouldn’t hang IU‘s success on a spaz player like X. That’s even Idiotic for you.

I damn sure wouldn’t hang IU‘s success on a spaz player like X. That’s even Idiotic for you.
The spaz thing, I think, is overblown. If you look at his numbers, and then factor in how solid he was 2 years ago defensively, and for half the games last year before he got hurt... He's one of the best PG's in the conference.

If he gets back anywhere near his best form, he'll 100% lead this team. If he isn't healthy, or just not as effective, for whatever reason, then I think that will hurt our team's overall ceiling for success. But I think it'll naturally result in Cupps getting more minutes. Which long term, wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Define spaz? X’s assist/TO was better than JHS. X’s 3pt and FT % were both better than JHS. X’s FG % was equal to JHS. Xs defense was better than JHS. JHS was better than X in rebounding and potential and that is it. I expect X will put up even better numbers this year. I will take a spaz like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT