ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Hoosiers, August

A little bulletin board material:

Hard for me to believe PU starts off as the 3rd ranked team in the country with that lineup. I give all the credit in the world to MP that he always seems to get his team to play better as a team, than individual parts, but wow, a pretty pedestrian lineup that isn't going to sneak up on anybody this year, and has a blueprint built to beat them. Of course I expect MP to work hard to counter that, but still... I think MSU is much better on paper and I expect at least a split with them this year (finally get to see XJ guard Smith!). If they an stay in the top 10 and win either conference title, I give MP all the credit in the world and he is my B10 COY.

And no IU mention in the Top 25? Hope someone from the team or staff takes note! That would be on the locker room bulletin board this morning if I were coach!
It’s the same lineup as last year that was a 1 seed and won the BIG lol

I like the fact that CMW has brought in Hulls and Cheney.
CMW has done a ton of good imo: getting those guys on the staff and just generally improving relations with former players, improved the OOC scheduling and interest in those games with opponents like KU, AZ, Xavier, Auburn, etc... good locales for neutral site games (Vegas & Atlanta), stated raised expectations for the program, been open, available and friendly with the media, made the tourney 2 years running and beaten PU.

So godawful to remember that Archie's first year included 20 pt losses to both ISU and IUFW... that, along with not making the tourney in his first 2 years probably should have been enough to consider letting him go right then. People have complained about the revolving door with coaches but I think both TC and AM were given every opportunity to prove themselves and KS was let go for good reason. If there's an argument, I think that it's those guys should have been gone sooner. And, I think the selection of both KS and AM were questionable, just if thorough and diligent searches were done. Both felt to me like those guys were targeted early and a full search wasn't really conducted.

It’s the same lineup as last year that was a 1 seed and won the BIG lol
and that was swept by IU, lost to FDU in the biggest upset in tourney history and played 500 ball in conference the last month of the year. They benefitted from a super easy B10 schedule last year and snuck up on lots of teams early. It is the same lineup, but is that a help or hindrance? Tougher conference schedule, MSU is better, and what if Edey got hurt or actually starts getting fouls called on him at even a "normal" rate for a big? Lots of things that could make this season very different in WL. FWIW, I do think they have a bettern bench this year.

It would seem to me that those two particular quotes are in conflict with each other.

If EVERYTHING is different now with NIL (which I agree with - good or bad) then what does our recent history have to do with ANYTHING!! 😁
Talent doesn’t always equal results. We’ve seen loaded teams miss the tourney, and teams with no NBA talent be ranked number 1 (see PU last year).

Yeah, I agree. And as for our trajectory yes, it’s upward (i do believe that with NIL and the portal we will have top 5 talent annually, and you will see more and more instances of us going toe to toe with a KU type and winning).
I think top 5 annually, or I might say regularly as more fair, all depends on winning at higher levels going forward. Top 4 in conference and just making the tourney aren't going to be enough. We need to start showing more both in conference and in the tourney to get to the level of a Duke, KU, UNC, Gonzaga, AZ or UK. NIL gives us a tool to do it, but we've got to win more I think to have the NIL $$ to leverage it to that level.

Last edited:
and that was swept by IU, lost to FDU in the biggest upset in tourney history and played 500 ball in conference the last month of the year. They benefitted from a super easy B10 schedule last year and snuck up on lots of teams early. It is the same lineup, but is that a help or hindrance? Tougher conference schedule, MSU is better, and what if Edey got hurt or actually starts getting fouls called on him at even a "normal" rate for a big? Lots of things that could make this season very different in WL. FWIW, I do think they have a bettern bench this year.
I’m just commenting on his shock of them being ranked 3rd.

I’m just commenting on his shock of them being ranked 3rd.
Wasn't "his" shock, it was mine. I'm saying I think #3 is too high, and that I don't think they'll wind up that high this year, nor win the B10. So, you're saying you think they'll do both?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
A little bulletin board material:

If you were coach, you’d remember that they just went home from camp and won’t be back for a couple of weeks so you could put them up but would they still be there when they return?
Hard for me to believe PU starts off as the 3rd ranked team in the country with that lineup. I give all the credit in the world to MP that he always seems to get his team to play better as a team, than individual parts, but wow, a pretty pedestrian lineup that isn't going to sneak up on anybody this year, and has a blueprint built to beat them. Of course I expect MP to work hard to counter that, but still... I think MSU is much better on paper and I expect at least a split with them this year (finally get to see XJ guard Smith!). If they a stay in the top 10 and win either conference title, I give MP all the credit in the world and he is my B10 COY.

And no IU mention in the Top 25? Hope someone from the team or staff takes note! That would be on the locker room bulletin board this morning if I were coach!

Wasn't "his" shock, it was mine. I'm saying I think #3 is too high, and that I don't think they'll wind up that high this year, nor win the B10. So, you're saying you think they'll do both?
Well they return the same team, yes I think they win the BiG

Reactions: kkott
he (and many) think their backcourt as it stands is athletically limited. They got exploited last year by quick, physical guards. While another year will get them stronger, they aren't going to get much quicker. I think it's fair to think their upside is limited. Interesting how much you praise them and the possibility of their improvement after 1 year. I wonder what you'd be saying if that was IU's backcourt?

he (and many) think their backcourt as it stands is athletically limited. They got exploited last year by quick, physical guards. While another year will get them stronger, they aren't going to get much quicker. I think it's fair to think their upside is limited. Interesting how much you praise them and the possibility of their improvement after 1 year. I wonder what you'd be saying if that was IU's backcourt?
No I’m not praising them at all, they are the weak point of their team. I’m just saying they won the conference last year pretty easily by record, with that group starting as true freshman. They return their entire lineup this year. If we won the conference last year and return our entire lineup, wouldnt you think we would be the favorites to win it again?

No I’m not praising them at all, they are the weak point of their team. I’m just saying they won the conference last year pretty easily by record, with that group starting as true freshman. They return their entire lineup this year. If we won the conference last year and return our entire lineup, wouldnt you think we would be the favorites to win it again?
Well, let's not get confused by the facts: they are rated so highly because Edey is returning, period. They'd still be ranked fairly high and could probably overcome just fine all 4 of the other guys departing, but they'd not even be ranked if he had left. And, I don't agree the freshmen are the weak point, they just don't have a very high ceiling. But, they were solid and I think were their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers. Morton and then Furst and Gillis are all weaker starters than the 2 freshmen were. Won't surprise me at all if Morton gets replaced in the starting lineup and becomes their "super sub".

Well trey and X will make those guards miserable. X is a grown man. Michigan states guards will too.

Well, let's not get confused by the facts: they are rated so highly because Edey is returning, period. They'd still be ranked fairly high and could probably overcome just fine all 4 of the other guys departing, but they'd not even be ranked if he had left. And, I don't agree the freshmen are the weak point, they just don't have a very high ceiling. But, they were solid and I think were their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers. Morton and then Furst and Gillis are all weaker starters than the 2 freshmen were. Won't surprise me at all if Morton gets replaced in the starting lineup and becomes their "super sub".
Ok so what are you arguing with me?

Ok so what are you arguing with me?
I think they're going to have a tougher year this year, despite returning everyone. Don't think any of their starters will improve too much, they won't benefit from a ridiculously unbalanced schedule, and everyone will take them seriously and play them how they proved themselves vunerable (let Edey get his and defend everyone else straight up). Heck, maybe Edey will even start to get some fouls called on him! I just think they're going to have a much tougher go round this time and I think MSU will end up winning the conference. Of course, they may actually make it farther in the tournament this year!

And, I think if that was our returning backcourt, you'd be railing about how "average" and unathletic they are.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I think they're going to have a tougher year this year, despite returning everyone. Don't think any of their starters will improve too much, they won't benefit from a ridiculously unbalanced schedule, and everyone will take them seriously and play them how they proved themselves vunerable (let Edey get his and defend everyone else straight up). Heck, maybe Edey will even start to get some fouls called on him! I just think they're going to have a much tougher go round this time and I think MSU will end up winning the conference. Of course, they may actually make it farther in the tournament this year!

And, I think if that was our returning backcourt, you'd be railing about how "average" and unathletic they are.
Yes I would, like I said I’m not talking up their backcourt. Just noting that they did win the conference and were a 1 seed last year with that lineup.

Yes I would, like I said I’m not talking up their backcourt. Just noting that they did win the conference and were a 1 seed last year with that lineup.
I agree with you. I think PU will be legit and better than last year. Yeah, their guards are meh but they’re not bad. I assume they’ll finish top 3 in B10 and that’s with me assuming IU will be top 3.

When was IU last a top 25 program, 2016?

We live in our own little bubble. It “seems like”. IU was an absolute junk program under Miller, and now everything looks great! The reality is much more nuanced.

Final ken Pom rankings last 4 years:
‘23. 30
‘22. 48
‘21. 50
‘20. 34

Now, I would argue that with NIL and the portal EVERYTHING is different now, and we will (should) have as much talent as anyone going forward. But, the bottom line is that recent history does mean something. As much as we put down PU and laugh at them getting Peacocked (and their talent), I wouldn’t bet against them being top 3 in the conference and a top 10 team. And, even though we have tons of talent and upside, isn’t it reasonable to pencil IU in as being a top 30-50 ish team based on recent history? (And with those 2 predictions I am not talking about people here making those predictions, I am talking about someone with an unbiased mind).
Unbiased minds don’t exist at either the conscious or sub-conscious level. People kid themselves when they can’t kid anyone else.

I hate to say it, but this will be the third year in a row with PU ranked in the top 3 nationally. Geez, how long has it been since IU could say that? I was really disappointed Lurch didn’t go pro and our boy, JH-S, did. Edey’s size (hello!) and game-day stats give his school a lot of positive publicity and I hate that for IU. We have to all admit we play second fiddle to PU academically, in the eyes of the rest of the world. Oh, sure, we’ll always have our music school and pretty campus, but tip my hat to the Boilers, they emphasis studies in the right technology, the direction money is wanting to flow from overseas. It’s cabooses no more.

I think IU is not highly rated because people love to hate IU. It’s like kicking a mad dog when it’s down, kicking it again to make it stay down. Misery loves company, She just hates being alone. Saying that, I believe IU will rise rather rapidly through the ranks. It’s going to be a good year, an interesting one of basketball game.

Unbiased minds don’t exist at either the conscious or sub-conscious level. People kid themselves when they can’t kid anyone else.

I hate to say it, but this will be the third year in a row with PU ranked in the top 3 nationally. Geez, how long has it been since IU could say that? I was really disappointed Lurch didn’t go pro and our boy, JH-S, did. Edey’s size (hello!) and game-day stats give his school a lot of positive publicity and I hate that for IU. We have to all admit we play second fiddle to PU academically, in the eyes of the rest of the world. Oh, sure, we’ll always have our music school and pretty campus, but tip my hat to the Boilers, they emphasis studies in the right technology, the direction money is wanting to flow from overseas. It’s cabooses no more.

I think IU is not highly rated because people love to hate IU. It’s like kicking a mad dog when it’s down, kicking it again to make it stay down. Misery loves company, She just hates being alone. Saying that, I believe IU will rise rather rapidly through the ranks. It’s going to be a good year, an interesting one of basketball game.
Business, Spea, Informatics, Biological Sciences and other top programs say hello.

PU is solid academically as is IU.

Well trey and X will make those guards miserable. X is a grown man. Michigan states guards will too.
This is why I think this year's team will be better than last year's. TJD made a team, without XJ, competitive. The defense wasn't very good without Xavier. Everyone should be better this year and some interesting prices have been added. The defense from Trey and Xavier will be a problem for every team IU faces. There are a lot of unknowns, but IU guarding people next year isn't one of them.

Business, Spea, Informatics, Biological Sciences and other top programs say hello.

PU is solid academically as is IU.
Okay, I won’t argue with that but it seems like they do a better job marketing themselves. Danials gave them garnishments of clout, some attention there for awhile. I haven’t heard much from our president, the new gal, but that might be just me. Has anything earth shattering been proclaimed besides Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Protocol, the rules and regulations of the newly Woken?
IU has always gotten bogged down by its “party school” tag, bestowed back when meat was eaten rare without the scare.

This is why I think this year's team will be better than last year's. TJD made a team, without XJ, competitive. The defense wasn't very good without Xavier. Everyone should be better this year and some interesting prices have been added. The defense from Trey and Xavier will be a problem for every team IU faces. There are a lot of unknowns, but IU guarding people next year isn't one of them.
We had a top 20 pick at pg last year with TJD

Talented young guard that didn’t play defense very well. X is a lot better defender than JHS was. Trey guarding more off the ball is better guarding PGs with the ball. If Mack buys in defensively, we’ll be a much better defensive team.
Miller race and JHS were below average defenders in the B1G last year. X and Trey will be a great defensive backcourt this year.

Team just got done with an 8 week summer stent mainly focusing on strength. This group of guys will be the hardest working team we have had in a long while. The players have actually been told multiple times to stop working out. The stamina and conditioning will be second to none.

Sounds like Payton is the real deal. Expect him to play a lot. True big with B1G strength and great finishing ability. I expect 1st off the bench for Malik or Ware.

KB has shown a jump, I think he has progressed more than CJ at this point. Things can change, but KB is looking like the 7th man right now.

Mack is the real deal, I expect him to be our leading scorer and 1st round pick. Our ceiling is gonna depend on him and Ware.

X is a grown ass man. Been fun watching him mature. If you don’t do dumb shit, you can’t learn from it. X will show everyone what a great leader he is this year. The work gym rat mentality starts with him, they all follow. No question who the leader is.
Meant to ask, what are you basing your assessments on: talking with a player(s) or coach?

Miller race and JHS were below average defenders in the B1G last year. X and Trey will be a great defensive backcourt this year.
They were up and down early in the year before X got hurt, but I have to believe they would have settled in to be one of the better defensive backcourts in the conference. And that would have made it A LOT easier on the rest of the guys. The back end of a defense miraculously gets a lot better when you have a couple guards capable of containing the dribble. Similar to having a good defensive line, it makes it so much easier on your secondary...very similar principles.

They were up and down early in the year before X got hurt, but I have to believe they would have settled in to be one of the better defensive backcourts in the conference. And that would have made it A LOT easier on the rest of the guys. The back end of a defense miraculously gets a lot better when you have a couple guards capable of containing the dribble. Similar to having a good defensive line, it makes it so much easier on your secondary...very similar principles.

It was stated by X, he and TJD we're injured and didn't practice in the week leading up to the Xavier game.

What the hell are you talking about up and down early before X went out for the remainder of the year?

It was stated by X, he and TJD we're injured and didn't practice in the week leading up to the Xavier game.

What the hell are you talking about up and down early before X went out for the remainder of the year?
Defensively...

Up...mainly UNC, that was a glimpse at how dominant our defense could have been. Maybe they had some good defensive performances against the cupcakes...not sure?

Down...Xavier, sounds like they were injured, didn't know that...but the team was awful defensively in that game. Arizona...awful defensively, almost embarrassingly so. Kansas...before X's injury, he/we were awful defensively. TJD had a bad back, but he actually played pretty inspired basketball in that game I thought. Rutgers...didn't give up as many points, but we sure couldn't get stops in that game like we needed to.

So yeah...up and down defensively.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
So yeah...up and down defensively.

Agree.

Individually by player, I don't believe there was noticeable improvement by any returning player, a few maintained their level, and several showed decline year over year. Defensively.

I would be interested to see stats on the Defensive Rebounding regression and correlate that to the defensive efficiency regression.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT