ADVERTISEMENT

Other than rebounding we played pretty damn good

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Man,nice win!! Needed it.

X played outstanding IMO. Really saw what we were missing with him out. He can just get in the lane, and is gonna get to the FT line a ton. He will miss ones, and have some damnit moments, but he can get to the rim at ease. More oops will come to Ware when he gets on the same page.

14-6 Hoosiers, go do it.

Rebound and keep playing with movement on offense. We can be solid.

Ohio State killed us on rebounding and they missed alot of shots. Good win a lot to work on.

Other than they gave up nearly 40 (OK 38) in the first half. I thought the defense was timid in the first half, no aggression. Much better as the game went on in the second. And rebounding...UGH. But, nice win. Fixable problems

Last edited:
Reactions: indianadreaming
Great game by X, CJ, and TG. Nice O from MR - but - I wish he’d block someone out occasionally. Any win is good and a must at home. We’re still alive for March madness at this point.

Reactions: ddmills333

X played outstanding IMO. Really saw what we were missing with him out. He can just get in the lane, and is gonna get to the FT line a ton. He will miss ones, and have some damnit moments, but he can get to the rim at ease. More oops will come to Ware when he gets on the same page.

14-6 Hoosiers, go do it.
Gunn was the difference, and really shows what this team would be with a reliable perimeter scorer.

Gunn should start next game, but he won't. What bothers me the most about Woodson is that he says you have play defense to play, but Mgbako plays terrible defense and has started every game of his career.

But, hey, we won. Nice to see good X today.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
X, Reneau and Gunn on the offensive end in half 2 really got this team going. D was much better too. Nice work by Banks shutting down Battle in the 2nd half. Then Walker, X, Galloway rest of the way on him.

Having Gunn, X and Galloway on floor a lot 2nd half kept the ball moving up top after X did too much dribbling in 1st half. When you get out rebounded by 20, any win is impressive.

Reactions: bkiefer7
Good win and good job keeping OSU from scoring more than they did.

14-6 Hoosiers, go do it.
Yep.

Those people saying were are better without X hopefully got schooled with a little bball 101 today. X’s speed and scoring ability is a difference maker. X can literally get by his defender at will and force fouls or create for others. If he can stay healthy and aggressive we are so much better.

14-6 Hoosiers, go do it.
The offensive rebounds were diving me nuts. 22 offensive rebounds for OSU to 27 total for IU.

When X plays within himself and is patient and attacks the paint good things happen for him and thus team. Not sure he is our guy when game is on the line and we need free throws. 3-6 down the stretch including the odd airball.

Great win and great to see X have a strong performance! Hopefully not an anomaly with Gunn!

Yep.

Those people saying were are better without X hopefully got schooled with a little bball 101 today. X’s speed and scoring ability is a difference maker. X can literally get by his defender at will and force fouls or create for others. If he can stay healthy and aggressive we are so much better.

The ability to draw fouls is a huge underrated basketball skill.

Reactions: asindc and Beorik
The offensive rebounds were diving me nuts. 22 offensive rebounds for OSU to 27 total for IU.

When X plays within himself and is patient and attacks the paint good things happen for him and thus team. Not sure he is our guy when game is on the line and we need free throws. 3-6 down the stretch including the odd airball.

Great win and great to see X have a strong performance! Hopefully not an anomaly with Gunn!
I think his legs were gone. Short on them. 34 minutes tonight was insane. Did not think he would play 25. lol

But he is 100% back now! Don't get hurt!!!!

I think his legs were gone. Short on them. 34 minutes tonight was insane. Did not think he would play 25. lol

Yep those were tired leg free throws. Not yet in 100% game shape.

The rebounding is so frustrating. Do they not teach blocking out at those super academies in SW Florida?

Still much needed win. Here’s hoping Gunn has finally turned the corner.

Boxing out seems to be a struggle. Body on body isn't a a genius level concept. Super happy for the win, let's get the next one!

We could be a really good team when we learn to play 40 minutes. X can be really good ans our front line can hurt you in many ways. Time will tell if we will get everyone on the same page.

Reactions: Spartans9312

14-6 Hoosiers, go do it.
It was a good win, but the rebounding was just ridiculous. OSU had 23 offensive rebounds, while we had 20 defensive? That's just unacceptable. The next practice should not be a pleasant one. We won a home game against what appears a mid-level B10 opponent.

But, to your point, yes X played really well and brings a lot that this team needs and has been missing. The driving is huge on O. Hope he can keep it up, but we don't win tonight without X or Malik.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
With their length, Ware and Reneau seem to have gotten to this point in their basketball lives having never learned to block out. They’ve always just been bigger than everyone else and gotten away with it. Now that they are going against others as big, or bigger/stronger, they need to be able to do what most people feel is a basic fundamental of the game and that’s blocking out. A 7-footer who gets wide with his legs/knees should be able to get many of those boards that OSU kept alive last night. Okpara and Key, even if they didn’t get the Offensive board, kept so many possessions alive for them last night. Luckily for IU, they missed enough second chance opportunities in half 2.

Reactions: kkott

14-6 Hoosiers, go do it.
Our guards are tough and not real skilled…our bigs are really skilled and not real tough. I thought X played really well and I thought Woody did a nice job looking for a combo that worked last night.

perhaps would have on the road
Perhaps? Uh uh. A definite L on the road. You get outrebounded by 20, you're losing 95% of the time. Be thankful you snuck into the 5% on this one, but that HAS to improve.

How often is a team out rebounded by 20?
We were lucky OSU missed so many shots. Could easily have lost and perhaps would have on the road.
None the less we are currently tied for second.
They needed those rebounds to keep up. Turnovers is the stat. They negated all that work on the glass and we made them pay.

Reactions: Spartans9312

14-6 Hoosiers, go do it.
Not a lot more to add to all of the reviews this AM.

The crowd was great as it has been all year, less students back than I had hoped to see but the place was rocking as expected.

I took a lot of grief after the Neb game for saying X had played better than I had expected him to and last night he took another big step forward. He clearly is not yet 100% especially on defense but I liked what I saw. That floater has to go. Gunn has clearly gotten some mechanics coaching, he is squaring up much better. After a three he made two defensive errors on the same play trying to rebound. He needs to calm down.

Rebounding was an obvious issue but more than a little of that was Okpara (and Key to a lesser extent) camping in the lane and establishing position for offensive rbs.

Woody was more animated during TOs than usual and Cupps is a teacher.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Not a lot more to add to all of the reviews this AM.

The crowd was great as it has been all year, less students back than I had hoped to see but the place was rocking as expected.

I took a lot of grief after the Neb game for saying X had played better than I had expected him to and last night he took another big step forward. He clearly is not yet 100% especially on defense but I liked what I saw. That floater has to go. Gunn has clearly gotten some mechanics coaching, he is squaring up much better. After a three he made two defensive errors on the same play trying to rebound. He needs to calm down.

Rebounding was an obvious issue but more than a little of that was Okpara (and Key to a lesser extent) camping in the lane and establishing position for offensive rbs.

Woody was more animated during TOs than usual and Cupps is a teacher.
Okpara reminds me of Omier from Miami. Ball goes in the air and there he is, slipped right past any kind of blockout effort. While IU needs to get better, guys like that just routinely grab double digit rebounds, against virtually everyone. It would be nice to get one of those on the IU roster.

Okpara reminds me of Omier from Miami. Ball goes in the air and there he is, slipped right past any kind of blockout effort. While IU needs to get better, guys like that just routinely grab double digit rebounds, against virtually everyone. It would be nice to get one of those on the IU roster.
Would love to have a guy like that. Tough.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Agreed...some strange bounces from the buckeyes last night...even so...we need to be able to block out.
Long bounces are going to happen every game. And, them getting a few others is not a big deal. Getting outrebounded on defense, and outrebounded by 20 overall? Nope, should never happen, and no excuse for it. Next practice should be brutal with rebounding drills.

Yep, I'm not worried at all about X at the line. 1,000% it was because he was just gassed. It's always going to take a few games for someone to come back from such a long layoff. This was a super impressive performance by X. Stay healthy indeed! Our hope for the season rests on him I believe.

Reactions: asindc and Cavanagh
X still isn’t 100% either. Those missed FT looked like fatigue. His D on Thornton was huge.
His 2nd half defense for the Kansas game most liksly would have been the difference in beating KU the last couple minutes. Now is the time he needs to step up in 2nd half of games and play smart. Do that, and IU can make the Ncaa and then anything can happen.

Reactions: aajohn2000
How often is a team out rebounded by 20?
We were lucky OSU missed so many shots. Could easily have lost and perhaps would have on the road.
None the less we are currently tied for second.
Guards have to learn to block out, especially the shooters. Long rebounds off missed 3s might sail over the heads of our bigs, but our guards should be ready for that.

The entire team needs to block out and rebound. The team also needs to be aware when a shooter flashes open when the ball goes inside. The scouting report on us is we are late to the shooters. Why not keep the shooters from catching the ball in the first place? It seems we need to be reminded of that during halftime. Let's start out on the shooters early and not let them build confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT