ADVERTISEMENT

stat of the day: 6 x 10pt scorers

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
For those of you fretting about the preseason Kenny pompom predictions, know this....

In the history of Indiana basketball, they have never gone into a season with 6 players who scored 10ppg or more the previous season for a major program.

Reneau
Mgbako
Galloway
Ballo
Rice
Carlyle

There you go.

Reactions: kkott
For those of you fretting about the preseason Kenny pompom predictions, know this....

In the history of Indiana basketball, they have never gone into a season with 6 players who scored 10ppg or more the previous season for a major program.

Reneau
Mgbako
Galloway
Ballo
Rice
Carlyle

There you go.
The fretting is about the guy patrolling the sidelines

Reneau
Mgbako
Galloway
Ballo
Rice
Carlyle

There you go.
Shooting % will have to increase dramatically, or a couple of these players won't be scoring in double digits, not enough shots to go around, Who backs up Ballo? Can IU get anything from their bench? Who is going to score from deep? Is IU going to play defense? Rebounding, IU has been very average? Free Throws, can Ballo make 50%, can the team make over 70%? Will the weak non-conference get IU ready for the BT or is it just a confidence booster for Woody? Turnovers, does IU have a true point guard?

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Shooting % will have to increase dramatically, or a couple of these players won't be scoring in double digits, not enough shots to go around, Who backs up Ballo? Can IU get anything from their bench? Who is going to score from deep? Is IU going to play defense? Rebounding, IU has been very average? Free Throws, can Ballo make 50%, can the team make over 70%? Will the weak non-conference get IU ready for the BT or is it just a confidence booster for Woody? Turnovers, does IU have a true point guard?
-IU will slide Reneau over to the center position when Ballo is out. And then Hatton will back both of them up for short stints.
-Yes, they'll have Tucker, Goode, and Galloway or Carlyle on their bench. Much better blend of talent and proven experience than Purdue has on their bench...as an example.
-Mgbako will be one of the better perimeter shooters in the conference. Goode is a good shooter. And then Rice and Carlyle are both gonna be decent shooters, I'm sure.
-I assume they intend on playing defense, yes. Ballo will help with that, Rice is a good defender, Mgbako made huge strides last year as the season wore on, Galloway will be defending his natural position more and is really good when doing so, Cupps won't need to play as much, so when he gets his minutes, he'll be an elite level on ball defender. I like our defense better than Purdue's, as an example.
-Ballo is a beast on the boards, he'll help our rebounding. Other than that, we should be fairly long and athletic, I doubt this will be a weakness.
-Who knows on free throws? Mgbako and Reneau should get a lot of them. Rice and Carlyle hopefully generate some free throw opportunities, they're both solid.
-Non conference schedules preparing for the B10 are vastly over rated. Not many teams outside the B10 play prison ball like Purdue and MSU and Illinois and Wisconsin and Rutgers...so there's really no "preparing for B10 play". Its more about preparing for the NCAAs. For that, they play in Bahamas, that'll be a good team building experience and will help them with multi day travel. Other than that, I just hope they head in to B10 play healthy.
-Rice is going to be one of the better PGs in the conference, if not the best PG in the conference. So...yeah...we've got a PG.

you forgot one more: "why are you here?"

Nevermind, we all know the answer to that.

How will Purdue deal with teams that have fast, long, athletic backcourts...on both ends of the court?

Defensively, Smith and Loyer are liabilities, ESPECIALLY without Edey in there to funnel players to. Colvin has never been a good defender. Heide is decent, TKR is decent but he isn't going to effect the game a ton on that end. Do they need the freshmen to help defensively? That's not great, if so. Or are they good being an average/mediocre defensive team with the hopes that Smith, Loyer, TKR, whoever else can be THAT good offensively?

Offensively, the obvious question mark is what will guys like Smith, Loyer, and TKR look like with people actually guarding them this year. In years past, when teams decided to guard them, and not double and triple team Edey...they've looked very, very mediocre. Do they NEED new guys to step in and be really good offensively? That's also not good if they do, because none of them are proven. And all we've been hearing out of you PU fans is how Painter develops kids over time. Colvin, Heide, and then the freshmen, don't have a lot of time.

There's a lot more hopes and assumptions being made up in Hamelot than most are calling out.

-IU will slide Reneau over to the center position when Ballo is out. And then Hatton will back both of them up for short stints.
-Yes, they'll have Tucker, Goode, and Galloway or Carlyle on their bench. Much better blend of talent and proven experience than Purdue has on their bench...as an example.
-Mgbako will be one of the better perimeter shooters in the conference. Goode is a good shooter. And then Rice and Carlyle are both gonna be decent shooters, I'm sure.
-I assume they intend on playing defense, yes. Ballo will help with that, Rice is a good defender, Mgbako made huge strides last year as the season wore on, Galloway will be defending his natural position more and is really good when doing so, Cupps won't need to play as much, so when he gets his minutes, he'll be an elite level on ball defender. I like our defense better than Purdue's, as an example.
-Ballo is a beast on the boards, he'll help our rebounding. Other than that, we should be fairly long and athletic, I doubt this will be a weakness.
-Who knows on free throws? Mgbako and Reneau should get a lot of them. Rice and Carlyle hopefully generate some free throw opportunities, they're both solid.
-Non conference schedules preparing for the B10 are vastly over rated. Not many teams outside the B10 play prison ball like Purdue and MSU and Illinois and Wisconsin and Rutgers...so there's really no "preparing for B10 play". Its more about preparing for the NCAAs. For that, they play in Bahamas, that'll be a good team building experience and will help them with multi day travel. Other than that, I just hope they head in to B10 play healthy.
-Rice is going to be one of the better PGs in the conference, if not the best PG in the conference. So...yeah...we've got a PG.
You saved me some typing. Not sure Blimpy is much of a fan. “ Do we have a PG” ? Seriously? Rice and Cupps form a great PG duo with Carlyle and Galloway able to give you spot duty there.

You saved me some typing. Not sure Blimpy is much of a fan. “ Do we have a PG” ? Seriously? Rice and Cupps form a great PG duo with Carlyle and Galloway able to give you spot duty there.
He's a fatty chasing, Purdue troll and a bad one at that.

When you dig in to it, and really think about it, we went from very, very questionable from a lead guard and ball handling depth perspective... to it becoming a huge strength. Possibly to the point of having one of the better PG/Lead guard/ball handling rotations in the conference.

-X was wildly inconsistent...and for a team that lacked consistency overall...not good.
-Trey actually showed flashes of brilliance in X's absence, but also was very inconsistent. He should never be THE PG. He won't need to be this year.
-Cupps just wasn't ready to run a higher level, P4 conference contending team. He did "fine" in some ways. I think he's actually perfectly suited for what his role likely will be this year. 12-15 minutes most games of really, really solid leading of the offense, and really good on the ball defense.

Rice...P4 all conference level PG. Leader. Consistently good. Can't stress how huge a pickup he was.
Cupps...Should be one of the better backup PGs in the conference. Most games he won't need to play a ton, but 10-15 minutes, of solid reliable backup PG play, should help our consistency a lot.
And then Galloway and Carlyle both spent time last year playing lead guard, out of position, but both showed they're more than capable of doing it. So when we face teams that have elite level perimeter defenses, that are capable of bothering Rice, Galloway and/or Carlyle will be huge assets.

This is another area I'll take IU's situation over Purdue's. Even factoring in how good Smith has been in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT