ADVERTISEMENT

Workout 3rd hand info

that doesn't even make sense as that would total more than 40 mpg. Tucker might be good, but I doubt he'll play more than 40 mpg! I don't get the relevance, but I'm guessing he means the time Ballo and Reanu are on the floor together, and that might be more interesting. I guess he's saying Tucker will be so good that it might force CMW to go to a 4 out 1 in rotation, in favor of Tucker. I've hoped he'd do that anyway to get Goode into the rotation. Ballo or Reanu with Mbako, Goode/Tucker, Carlyle/Galloway and Rice should be able to contend with most front courts. My biggest concern with Reanu is defense and rebounding. Seems to be a poor rebounder for his size in the past.
No defending his statement, but I think he meant Tucker will play as many minutes as Ballo/Reneau will be on the floor together (not adding their minutes together).

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I think that's much more likely, and frankly, makes sense for Reanu. I'm sure he sees how it helped Ware's value showing his flexibility in going inside or out (and also TJDs). While I think his shot looks pretty good, he's not looked comfortable or confident on the perimeter, but looks like a beast in the paint. I think the plan with him coming back is to give him more time on the perimeter with Ballo manning the paint, where he's most comfortable and will play in the pros.

Coyle was just touting how NC teams have had 4+ players who got drafted. In Ballo, Mbako, Carlyle and Reanu I think there are 4 who will get drafted or signed for the pros. Tucker, Newton and Rice might be possibilities down the road too.
People are getting too hung up on 2 bigs. They have not seen dynamic guards play with them yet. Ballo is the garbage/rebounder, shot blocker guy. Malik will command a double at times. His passing hopefully improves with his head up looking at “the guy standing in the corner”. They will use horns at times with him. Way better guards will bring efficiency up. Hopefully the defense improves with those guards. The biggest difference is they will have more scoring and experience coming off the bench.

that doesn't even make sense as that would total more than 40 mpg. Tucker might be good, but I doubt he'll play more than 40 mpg! I don't get the relevance, but I'm guessing he means the time Ballo and Reanu are on the floor together, and that might be more interesting. I guess he's saying Tucker will be so good that it might force CMW to go to a 4 out 1 in rotation, in favor of Tucker. I've hoped he'd do that anyway to get Goode into the rotation. Ballo or Reanu with Mbako, Goode/Tucker, Carlyle/Galloway and Rice should be able to contend with most front courts. My biggest concern with Reanu is defense and rebounding. Seems to be a poor rebounder for his size in the past.
I think we are saying the same thing. He never responded, but I assumed he meant If Malik played 30 mins and Ballo played 27 mins, and they were on the floor together for 15 mins. That Tucker would play more than 15 mins a game.

Obviously you do it for the season instead of an individual game. But I would prob take the bet that Malik and Ballo play more mins together than tucker does.

No defending his statement, but I think he meant Tucker will play as many minutes as Ballo/Reneau will be on the floor together (not adding their minutes together).
Yeah, that's what I think too, but why... what's the link between Tucker's minutes and Ballo/Reanu playing together? Like I said, I'm guessing he just thinks Tucker will be so good, we'll go largely with a single post. I think it's much more likely that they'll just work to get Reneau much more perimeter oriented when Ballo's in the game and he'll get his frontcourt opportunities when Ballo's out and Malik is at the 5.

People are getting too hung up on 2 bigs. They have not seen dynamic guards play with them yet. Ballo is the garbage/rebounder, shot blocker guy. Malik will command a double at times. His passing hopefully improves with his head up looking at “the guy standing in the corner”. They will use horns at times with him. Way better guards will bring efficiency up. Hopefully the defense improves with those guards. The biggest difference is they will have more scoring and experience coming off the bench.
Hope so, and that's one thing I give Woody a lot of credit for. I didn't think TJD was an especially effective passer when double-teamed and he improved a ton late in his career. That kind of play would make Reanu much more appealing to the NBA I would think. I think we'll see Reanu out on the floor more when he's in the game with Ballo.

Hope so, and that's one thing I give Woody a lot of credit for. I didn't think TJD was an especially effective passer when double-teamed and he improved a ton late in his career. That kind of play would make Reanu much more appealing to the NBA I would think. I think we'll see Reanu out on the floor more when he's in the game with Ballo.
The game is about matchups. Malik will be better than most players he’s matched up against. If that means using his skill in the post or an off ball 3 then we are fine. IU will have more options to exploit a mismatch this year. This team will have that pick your poison offense. You either guard straight up or you will have to hedge/double him. If they choose to guard straight up he’s a bucket.

That's super high praise, have you actually seen summer workouts? Castle was extremely rare in that he came in as a high level defender as a freshman. I sure hope you're right, but if you haven't seen him in workouts, or know someone well who has, that seems unlikely.

Heck, I heard a couple folks who'd seen Mbako in AAU (Rick Bozich for one) and they thought he was a very good defender. Different at the college level.
And Mgbako will be a very good defender this season. It just takes some longer to adjust, after all…it’s different at the college level,
as
you
know.

That would be very impressive improvement. I’d be thrilled with decent defender.
After hearing Bozich's description of Mbako, I was very disappointed with his D last year. Just looked lost, way too often. He at least has the physical tools so if he can catch on, he could be a good defender, but last year made me lose confidence we'd see that.

I haven’t seen this anywhere else.
Could you imagine getting over a year of treatment, advise on your body, etc. Then be like, ya I'm out, a few months before the season??

If that ever happened, I would for sure want the inside story. But ya, no chance that happens IMO.

Could you imagine getting over a year of treatment, advise on your body, etc. Then be like, ya I'm out, a few months before the season??

If that ever happened, I would for sure want the inside story. But ya, no chance that happens IMO.
And both he and his mom have seemed to be all in.

Interesting.....mostly encouraging......by implication a step back on 'Tucker' is the best player on the team' report...an encouraging take on Newton in terms of injury bounce back. Wondering if he can be Quinn Bucker on the defensive end.

Back to Newton for a minute.....I still haven't seen or heard anything that leads me to believe he has much of an outside shooting game. Physically, he's built like Buckner or AJ Moye. Sounds like he's more athletic than Moye, but has a similar game. For those who remember, maybe a game similar to Jim Thomas? Defense, rebounding, drives to the basket.

take it fwiw - Maliks passing inefficiency is a bit overstated on this board, he averaged 3.7 assists per 40 which is in the high end at his position and only 1 less than TJD hsi senior year. Most of those were big to big, and TO's were too high, but I don't believe the TO came from passing but instead that high ass dribble ..

As to your point, yes he really needs to pass the ball when doubled. He's a bit of a Kobe when he gets the ball deep. Hopefully he improves and/or sees far less doubles this year.

You have to assume that he and the staff understand where he's playing this year and will work to improve ballhandling, and shooting to expand his game further out. Cheaney worked with him last summer. No idea if he is again.

Back to Newton for a minute.....I still haven't seen or heard anything that leads me to believe he has much of an outside shooting game. Physically, he's built like Buckner or AJ Moye. Sounds like he's more athletic than Moye, but has a similar game. For those who remember, maybe a game similar to Jim Thomas? Defense, rebounding, drives to the basket.

One other thing....nothing surprising about that Goode, McBako, Capps shooting order, but maybe disappointing that it wasn't McBako, Goode, Cupps and/or Carlyle/Rice.

Reactions: kkott
One other thing....nothing surprising about that Goode, McBako, Capps shooting order, but maybe disappointing that it wasn't McBako, Goode, Cupps and/or Carlyle/Rice.
The Cupps report wasn't surprising, to me. He's always been a pretty good spot up shooter. He was solid in that regard last year, even. He just shot way too many pull up jumpers last year. He was decent with those in high school, but being effective with them at the high major college level is a different challenge, obviously. If he can push for that 40% 3P percentage, cut down on his shots off the dribble attempts and replace those with setups for other shooters and/or our bigs, he'll be an incredibly valuable piece off our bench behind Rice.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I don't think Rice or Carlyle are ever going to be 40+% 3 point shooters. Don't need them to be either. Need 35-36% on decent volume to be true three level scorers. Cupps should be one of the better spot shooters on the team.

I don't think Rice or Carlyle are ever going to be 40+% 3 point shooters. Don't need them to be either. Need 35-36% on decent volume to be true three level scorers. Cupps should be one of the better spot shooters on the team.

I agree. I was just being greedy and hoping the report would be "Carlyle's a better 3 pt shot than what we expected". That would have been a bonus. The report was otherwise as expected/hoped.

I agree. I was just being greedy and hoping the report would be "Carlyle's a better 3 pt shot than what we expected". That would have been a bonus. The report was otherwise as expected/hoped.
I think when push comes to shove both those guys will be fine next year. Fine as in I don't believe teams are going to pack the paint and let those guys shoot at will as was the case with our group last year.

One of Carlyle and Rice's biggest benefits they'll provide this team is their ability to create shooting opportunities for themselves, and make a decent chunk of them. I hope Woodson completely overhauls his offense this year, with all the new faces we have. But even if he doesn't and just marginally changes it...his best offensive team was TJD and JHS year...and one of the reasons for that was he had an NBA level guard, capable of creating and making shots for himself, in JHS. Both Rice and Carlyle are more capable of this than any other guard Woodson has had, not having the initials JHS. His first team, and 3rd team, both struggled because he didn't have anyone really that could.

So, if they're mid 30's 3P shooters, but are taking 8-10 per game combined...AND making plays for themselves and others in other ways, their presence will improve our offense, almost without question.

Doesn't mean it wasn't, they only talked about 3. I predicted that Galloway's shooting was going to dip last year as he had to take on more of a role as a primary shooter with defenses working to stop him, but I'm not that concerned about shooting this year. If our guys focus on moving the ball and taking good shots, I think we've greatly improved our "best shooter" with Goode and I think we'll see both more 3s and a few points better shooting percentage out of all the other players, and a return to mid 30s shooting by Galloway.

Also good to hear positive reports on Newton after an injury and not playing in so long. I said a few days ago "whats there to be positive about". This is at least a (2nd/3rd hand) report that he's playing well. I see that as a great sign.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think we are saying the same thing. He never responded, but I assumed he meant If Malik played 30 mins and Ballo played 27 mins, and they were on the floor together for 15 mins. That Tucker would play more than 15 mins a game.

Obviously you do it for the season instead of an individual game. But I would prob take the bet that Malik and Ballo play more mins together than tucker does.
Cav, I think you’re right on this. But I don’t recall your betting advice around here being stellar the last few years. Makes me wanna go Castanza on this one and take Tucker. That should guarantee you’d win. 😂

I get what you're saying about Galloway and Goode, but both those players have defined roles, roles that are essential to any championship caliber team. Unless Tucker (or Newton) prove to be head over heels better than Goode or Galloway, I think minutes are going to be tough to come by. Most first year players don't do "all the little things" out of the gate.
I'm not saying Tucker is going to be the best player by any means,but I don't think questioning his basketball IQ or ability "to do all the little things" is a viable argument with him. And yeah,it may take a few games(especially in conference) but everything I have seen,read,and heard,says that Tucker has pretty much had a live in instructor who has acted as such,and details and fundamentals are not lost on him. Defense,and midrange jumpers are his best attributes. He will improve quickly.

Reactions: baileyiu
They will start together. Ballo will play his 25-28 minutes. If you look at Malik splits he played 35-40 minutes when not hurt or in foul trouble. That won’t change other than hopefully less foul trouble. It’s hard to say how many together but it will be a lot.
I hope it's not more than about 18 tbh.

They will start together. Ballo will play his 25-28 minutes. If you look at Malik splits he played 35-40 minutes when not hurt or in foul trouble. That won’t change other than hopefully less foul trouble. It’s hard to say how many together but it will be a lot.
The lineup combinations available should mean Woodson can matchup with almost anyone if needed. The depth should also mean that injuries won't have the drastic impact they've had in previous years.

I can't wait to see this team play. We finally have backcourt players with the speed and skills needed in modern NCAA.

Also of note, I don't care how many minutes the above play as much as how they are used. I hope to hell neither Malik or Ballo are used predominantly in post up and that back to the basket post play is very rare or even non existent. Especially Ballo... ball screens and if not, dunkers spot and let him feed on boards and strongside overplay.

The lineup combinations available should mean Woodson can matchup with almost anyone if needed. The depth should also mean that injuries won't have the drastic impact they've had in previous years.

I can't wait to see this team play. We finally have backcourt players with the speed and skills needed in modern NCAA.

Also of note, I don't care how many minutes the above play as much as how they are used. I hope to hell neither Malik or Ballo are used predominantly in post up and that back to the basket post play is very rare or even non existent. Especially Ballo... ball screens and if not, dunkers spot and let him feed on boards and strongside overplay.
Ballo actually does a nice job in PnR,and is sneaky athletic for a guy his size. He will catch some lobs on the roll.

Reactions: nichlee and T.M.P.
I worry about him because he doesn't seem to be that inclined vertically. Not that he has to be TJD in that role. He eats a lot of space. Maybe it was just the way he was used at Arizona.. ??
I thought that too,but then watched more...he can go up and get it off of 2 feet. No,nowhere near as athletic as TJD. He will need his feet set to get up there,but can do it.

Agree. I’m not hung up on 2 “bigs” at all. The difference this year obviously is depth and quality players at every spot. I mean woody has already shown what style he plays and he did use the post but that’s were the talent has been. Malik should be a very tough match up for most teams. Ballo will be a rebounding machine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT