ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice RB Roster

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Like Receivers, there is a lot of RB roster turnover as well.
To get PT, our touted signees will need to outperform the portal inflow, who came to IU for PT
This seems to be a theme (there were a number of LBs signed from the transfer portal too).

I think we’ll see RB by committee, come fall.
The more classic spread option run is off tackle.
Sheridan tried inside runs with underwhelming results, especially after Carr was injured.
(B-gap dives are the veer staple: A-gap, Wishbone.
Will we see a Jet sweep pitch, after a fake to a dive back (Wing T adaptation)?
I Thought IU wasn’t going to be GT or Navy).
What will make a difference next fall?

2Shivers, ShaunRB5-7190Sr.+Fort Lauderdale, Fla. / Chaminade-MadonnaAuburn
10Ellis, DavidRB6-1204Sr.Clinton Township, Mich. / Chippewa Valley
12Lucas, JaylinRB5-9185Fr.Houma, La. / Edna Karr
26Henderson, JoshRB5-11214Sr.Pennington, N.J. / The Hun SchoolNorth Carolina
27Howland, TrentRB6-3235R-Fr.Joliet, Ill. / Joliet West
28Spegal, CharlieRB5-10217R-So.New Palestine, Ind. / New Palestine
33Holloman, DavidRB6-0205R-Fr.Auburn Hills, Mich. / Avondale

Last edited:
You are missing Payne unless I missed that he backed out of his commitment. The RB room has plenty of talent just lacking experience. There is very good speed in the room, size, and RBs that make people miss. If the new offense lets the OL open up some holes then there is speed and size to take care of the running game.

Last edited:
You are missing Payne unless I missed that he is back out of his commitment. The RB room has plenty of talent just lacking experience. There is very good speed in the room, size, and RBs that make people miss. If the new offense lets the OL open up some holes then there is speed and size to take care of the running game.
Yes, I noticed he was ‘conspicuously absent’.
He isn’t on the spring practice roster as an early enrollee.
We’ll see him in the fall.

The new RB transfers say they like the new RB coach, Craig Johnson.
This quote was surprising. Looks like Walt Bell must be getting the line to fire out

[Josh Henderson] On what he likes about the offense...
JH: One thing that has stuck out to me about the offense is how physical the offensive line is. They have been doing a great job and getting better every day and every practice. It's not just the practices with helmets, it is also in the weight room. We always encourage each other and there are leaders all over the offense. I think everyone is all bought in and can't wait to get it started and see how far we take this. I am excited about our team. Everybody is motivated.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/3/29/football-spring-ball-chatter-running-backs.aspx

The new RB transfers say they like the new RB coach, Craig Johnson.
This quote was surprising. Looks like Walt Bell must be getting the line to fire out

[Josh Henderson] On what he likes about the offense...
JH: One thing that has stuck out to me about the offense is how physical the offensive line is. They have been doing a great job and getting better every day and every practice. It's not just the practices with helmets, it is also in the weight room. We always encourage each other and there are leaders all over the offense. I think everyone is all bought in and can't wait to get it started and see how far we take this. I am excited about our team. Everybody is motivated.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/3/29/football-spring-ball-chatter-running-backs.aspx
That sounds like a load of hooey meant to talk up our massively underperforming offensive line. I'll believe non of it till they prove it on the field next fall.

That sounds like a load of hooey meant to talk up our massively underperforming offensive line. I'll believe non of it till they prove it on the field next fall.
My concern is last year DL heading into the season talked about the OL being one of the best in the B1G and we know how that turned out. I hope it is different this season but I take with a grain of salt.

Why would that make you worry about the defense? They're playing against themselves...someone has to look bad on literally every play.
I get that. It’s good news and bad news
1) The OL did a good enough job … for a ‘to the house‘ run. … something that wasn’t common enough last fall.
2) The front seven didn’t get off the blocks … or was out of position … lots of new parts in the front seven.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I get that. It’s good news and bad news
1) The OL did a good enough job … for a ‘to the house‘ run. … something that wasn’t common enough last fall.
2) The front seven didn’t get off the blocks … or was out of position … lots of new parts in the front seven.

Shivers is coming from the SEC. I'm not entirely sure the Big 10 has a lot of backs that can match the strength and speed that Shivers possesses, so our defense probably won't be the only defense he breaks a big run off of. He was doing that to Bama in his highlight tape.

The dude is legit.

Shivers is coming from the SEC. I'm not entirely sure the Big 10 has a lot of backs that can match the strength and speed that Shivers possesses, so our defense probably won't be the only defense he breaks a big run off of. He was doing that to Bama in his highlight tape.

The dude is legit.
I absolutely believe that. He's developed decent hands for recieving too.
I also believe there is a role for Charlie Spiegel to produce ypc. He's a little lighter than when he 1st arrived. Has to add to his possibilities for results. Also Hollman from from Michigan is a speedster. Always a place for such talent to take it downhill. We'll see.
Go HOOSIERS!!!🏈👍

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
What we all need to hope (& I’m optimistic he will be) is that our new OC is a good one and like DeBoer, we will see his talents come out in the form of a more innovative and effective offense. I’m bullish the defense will be back to its aggressive ways so really the onus is on the offense to not be as pathetic as last season.

You are missing Payne unless I missed that he backed out of his commitment. The RB room has plenty of talent just lacking experience. There is very good speed in the room, size, and RBs that make people miss. If the new offense lets the OL open up some holes then there is speed and size to take care of the running game.
And if a QB can make you respect the pass.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT