ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice LB Roster

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Back in the day, the fullback’s isolation block lead the tailback through the hole.
None of this roster looks to fill the bill to take on the isolation block and push the
fullback into the tailback, like All Big 10 Donnie Thomas. They even seem small to
take on the prototypical back in a one-back offense. They better be fast:
I know 2 are. (#0 and #4). With this size, LBs will need DTs to play well.

Just the fact that Cam was interviewed for the March 4 press event suggests to me that,
he is expected to lead the LBs, the front 7 (6), and the defense in general. The past two years,
Cam cleaned up McFadden’s mayhem. If McFadden didn’t make the play, Jones got the benefit
of McFadden disrupting the play. Last year, Cam had good games, when the game plan was to
keep McFadden at bay.

This year it will be interesting to see, if Cam becomes the designated blitzer, or if Jennings
(I’ll pencil him in as the 2nd LB in Allen’s 4-2-5 scheme) fills that role. Hopefully Jennings is
versatile enough to take turns filling the A-gap. With this size they’ll need to attack, and
evade blocks with speed and quickness, or they will get pushed around giving up 100 lbs.
to even IUs OL. Let’s hope Jared Casey, from UK’s outstanding rush defense provides
some reliable depth.

I’m not sure 4-2 LB is Dasan McCullough’s best Fit. But it could be the D’s biggest need.
I think he may have enough instinct, agility and speed to play Husky.
If he fills out, his natural position may be Bull (edge rusher).
Let’s be glad Dason enrolled early, so DC Wilt can figure that out, in Wilt’s own position group.

0McCullough, DasanLB6-5223Fr.Bloomington, Ind. / Bloomington South
4Jones, CamLB6-3222Sr.+Memphis, Tenn. / St. Benedict at Auburndale
5Jennings Jr., BradleyLB6-1222R-Sr.+Jacksonville, Fla. / SandalwoodMiami (Fla.)
8Casey, JaredLB6-3218R-So.Louisville, Ky. / BallardKentucky
14Turner, KaidenLB6-2222Fr.Fayetteville, Ark. / Fayetteville
27Trueblood, XavierLB5-11213R-So.Bloomington, Ind. / Bloomington North
43Hohlt, MattLB6-2215R-Fr.Greenwood, Ind. / Center Grove
45Turvy, AndrewLB6-2225R-Fr.Carmel, Ind. / Carmel
46Casey, AaronLB6-2225R-Sr.Douglasville, Ga. / Alexander

One thing about coach Allen's 4-2 is he doesn't really use bigger LBs instead he uses speeder LBs. IU expects DTs and DEs to control bigger RBs with speedy LBs finishing off the tackle. There are a number of reasons for IU to use this approach but the main one has to do with spread offenses. I would like to see a bigger LB on the team to help when playing a more traditional offense.

Last edited:
https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/3/24/football-spring-ball-chatter-linebackers.aspx

If only IU plays half as good as IU writes.

It looks like IU will return to a tougher run defense this year.
Incoming transfers are making good impressions.
Too bad there isn’t any ink on Dasan

I think we are making some great progress and we have good older kids and good leadership [in the linebackers room]. You talk about [Cam Jones] in the room, Jared Casey, guys that have been around a bunch. You can throw in Bradley Jennings Jr., coming from Miami. He has played real football at Miami. They understand football and I never felt walking into the meeting room that it was a lecture and that I was the dictator. I have always believed that you walk into that meeting room, and it is conversations. That is how guys really learn today. The attention span is so much shorter that you have to involve them in the conversations. To be able to have those older guys in there that have played a lot of football, we can have some great conversations: 'what did you see here?' or 'why did you play it that way?' Really talk through things more than just lecturing at them. We are really making progress.

Last edited:
https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/3/24/football-spring-ball-chatter-linebackers.aspx

I think we are making some great progress and we have good older kids and good leadership [in the linebackers room]. You talk about [Cam Jones] in the room, Jared Casey, guys that have been around a bunch. You can throw in Bradley Jennings Jr., coming from Miami. He has played real football at Miami. They understand football and I never felt walking into the meeting room that it was a lecture and that I was the dictator. I have always believed that you walk into that meeting room, and it is conversations. That is how guys really learn today. The attention span is so much shorter that you have to involve them in the conversations. To be able to have those older guys in there that have played a lot of football, we can have some great conversations: 'what did you see here?' or 'why did you play it that way?' Really talk through things more than just lecturing at them. We are really making progress.
witt also mentioned aaron casey and the freshman turner.

Perhaps Dasan is running with the bulls in early spring?😉

Reactions: kmathum
https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/indiana/90728

Portal newcomer Bradley Jenkins is penciled in for Micah McFadden.
Cam Jones stays in his current ‘Sting’ position.
Portal newcomer Myles Jackson projected at ‘Bull’
Myles may get elected a defensive captain at the end of August

2-deep DL is loaded with SRs … with portal newcomer Tevis projected as DT starter, over Elliot.
All SR defensive backfield led by Mullins and Williams.

Bielema’s Illini OL should show whether IU Defense’s LB play MoJo is back in the season opener.
Rotational depth at LB could be a concern with portal newcomers providing key depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Hard news is sparse this last week of practice.
For example there was No news conference on a Saturday 4/9/2022 game situation scrimmage, this week.
Cam Jones is touted as prior team captain and big ten honors.
DL is focused on creating pressure without blitzes.
(This years DE and Bull look to be upgrades, to me)

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/4/13/science-football-and-cam-jones-final-college-act.aspx
It is a shame practice hasn't been open so we could get a better look at the team this Spring. Fans have to hope and believe things will be different this Fall. I think this team will get IU back to its winning ways; we will just have to wait and see.

Reactions: td75 and Walt542
It is a shame practice hasn't been open so we could get a better look at the team this Spring. Fans have to hope and believe things will be different this Fall. I think this team will get IU back to its winning ways; we will just have to wait and see.
I'm probably the only one but I'm all for closed practices and a near news blackout on what we're actually running...

I know there's tape out there of Bell's earlier Offensive Schemes but given that he's working with a whole new group of players and coaches things are bound to have been tweaked to fit the skill sets available...; and those two new
NFL coaches just might have an idea or two..

Let the Illni work for it... Take the competitive edge in Every legal way possible..., is my stance on the lack of detailed coverage...

Illinois may very well turn out to be The key game of the entire season (and anyone who thinks they'll be a pushover didn't watch them last Fall)... We need to do whatever it takes to get the edge on those guys in my opinion...

No offense intended V13 but that's my story and I'm sticking with it...😉🍺🍺😎🍺🍺

I'm probably the only one but I'm all for closed practices and a near news blackout on what we're actually running...

I know there's tape out there of Bell's earlier Offensive Schemes but given that he's working with a whole new group of players and coaches things are bound to have been tweaked to fit the skill sets available...; and those two new

Let the Illni work for it... Take the competitive edge in Every legal way possible..., is my stance on the lack of detailed coverage...

Illinois may very well turn out to be The key game of the entire season (and anyone who thinks they'll be a pushover didn't watch them last Fall)... We need to do whatever it takes to get the edge on those guys in my opinion...

No problem sticking with your story, I just have a different approach to coaching and no fear that the other team will be more prepared than my teams were. I like to coach without fear of other teams but maybe if I coached at the B1G level; I might change my approach to closed practices but I doubt it because of the message I think it sends to the team. I always want my team to know focusing on our execution and scheme was the way to win games. One thing about coaching, there are many different approaches to winning games.

You're right. You're probably the only one! lol

J/K. I see your point. I remember watching practice from outside the stadium and seeing us practice a play probably 10 times. I think it involved Kofi Hughes throwing a pass. This was the week before the PU game. When we lined up in that formation, I knew what was coming - and it worked! Of course, we only ran it one time the entire game. WTH?

Now, if someone like me, with no special FB knowledge, can watch a few plays from outside the stadium and glean something from that, then I'm sure opposing coaches could also.

However, that was for a specific game, deep into the season. With Spring ball, I would imagine it's more about fundamentals and putting some overall concepts in. I suppose that could still benefit an opponent to know that, but you've also got to build and keep fans support. If Spring doesn't provide much info, Fall will be like getting information from the KGB.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I’m OK with closed practices this spring, too. Just frustrated.
Who among us understands how last spring really impacted the ‘21 fall campaign.

Last year’s spring banter seemed so hollow deep into the fall.
Injuries sent PWOs into starting role at QB and RB

Doing things differently this spring has more appeal than repeating last spring, to me.
Last year, the ‘20 campaign tape was clearly studied to account for McFadden’s inspired play.
Innovating the front seven (6) attack, with counters for such tactics is needed too.
There is no need to show anybody else any of that, or the offense attack themes, before September.
IU needs a hot start this year to balance its back loaded finish.
Keeping a lid on things supports that aim.

Let’s hope the dope about the player’s liking the new position coaches and coordinators is true enough to translate into improved performance, and wasn’t cynically scripted PR.

No problem sticking with your story, I just have a different approach to coaching and no fear that the other team will be more prepared than my teams were. I like to coach without fear of other teams but maybe if I coached at the B1G level; I might change my approach to closed practices but I doubt it because of the message I think it sends to the team. I always want my team to know focusing on our execution and scheme was the way to win games. One thing about coaching, there are many different approaches to winning games.

When McFadden got ejected, the defense was no where near the same. That doesn't give me a great feeling about this year other than the fact that we have some transfers that could make immediate impacts.

Balance isn't necessarily a good thing unless that balance is all good/great.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
When McFadden got ejected, the defense was no where near the same. That doesn't give me a great feeling about this year other than the fact that we have some transfers that could make immediate impacts.

I firmly believe we have to forget last season as some coaches didn't do a good job. Coach Allen calling defenses would let losing McFadden in the game lead to the disaster that happened. Just as the offense can't be judged based on what coach Sheridan did the last two seasons. Some ignored the issues in 2020 due to IU winning all their games in the B1G except a close one with OSU. They ignored the consistent short field the defense gave the offense in 2020.

I blame much of the defense last year due to Warren. If you thought Sheridan was unqualified, Warren was even less qualified and had no idea what he was doing. Terrible hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT