ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Receivers

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
With Fryfogle and Hendershot at the NFL combine, who catches the ball next year?

Matthews is back. Joined by portal additions Camper, Harris, & Simmons.
Regular signees will need make performance leaps (particularly getting open) to outshine the portal inflow.
Returning players caught 42 passes (of 199) for 469 yards (of 2106).
With 5 QBs there can be lots of balls in the air.
Those who can’t find the handle will be identified quickly.

#PlayerGPNOYDSAVGTDLongAVG/G
18Swinton, Javon11151157.6711510.45
88Barner, AJ121416211.5717613.50
7Matthews Jr., D.J.41316512.6904441.25
19Holt-Bennett, Malachi812929.001293.63
10Ellis, David31-2-2.0000-0.67
Total1242469344

7 Matthews Jr., D.J. WR/RS 5-11 160 Gr.+ Jacksonville, Fla. / Trinity Christian Academy Florida State
0 Simmons, Emery WR 6-1 187 Sr. Parkton, N.C. / South View North Carolina
4 Baker, David WR 6-3 199 R-So. Indianapolis, Ind. / Scecina Memorial
6 Camper, Cam WR 6-2 201 Jr. Lancaster, Texas / Lancaster Trinity Valley C.C.
8 Smith, Jaquez WR 6-1 198 R-Fr. Fairburn, Ga. / Westlake
18 Swinton, Javon WR 6-2 191 Jr. Stafford, Va. / North Stafford
19 Holt-Bennett, Malachi WR 6-3 189 So. Birmingham, Ala. / Fairfield High Preparatory School
82 Harris, Christian WR 6-3 181 R-Sr.+ Wheaton, Ill. / Wheaton-Warrenville South College of DuPage (Ill.)
83 Jochem, Eli WR 6-1 181 R-Fr. Gibsonia, Pa. / Pine-Richland
85 Ray, McCall WR 5-11 184 R-Jr. Bedford, Ind. / Bedford North Lawrence

39 Barnes, Ryan TE 6-4 246 R-Sr. Noblesville, Ind. / Noblesville
45 Walker, Trey TE 6-5 247 R-Jr. Winnetka, Ill. / New Trier
48 Bomba, James TE 6-6 246 R-Fr. Bloomington, Ind. / Bloomington South Miami (Ohio)
49 Daugstrup, Sam TE 6-5 240 R-So. Cleveland, Ohio / Saint Ignatius
84 Steinfeldt, Aaron TE 6-5 243 R-Fr. Bloomington, Ind. / Bloomington North
86 Foley, Brody TE 6-6 246 Fr. Cincinnati, Ohio / Anderson
87 Miller, Ryan TE 6-6 221 Fr. Chagrin Falls, Ohio / Kenston
88 Barner, AJ TE 6-6 251 Jr. Aurora, Ohio / Aurora

Last edited:
I was expecting Swinton to have a better year last year, so hopefully year 3 is his breakout year. He flashed some skill his FR year. Expect DJ to be solid in the slot and need him to stay healthy. Hope one of Camper/Simmons can step up as well. Don't think I have heard of Harris, Grad Transfer? Guess, I missed him.
Out of the returnees, Holt-Bennet or Smith will have an opportunity as well.

Barner has a chance to be a game changer, but will need another TE to step up as the main blocking TE.

I was expecting Swinton to have a better year last year, so hopefully year 3 is his breakout year. He flashed some skill his FR year. Expect DJ to be solid in the slot and need him to stay healthy. Hope one of Camper/Simmons can step up as well. Don't think I have heard of Harris, Grad Transfer? Guess, I missed him.
Out of the returnees, Holt-Bennet or Smith will have an opportunity as well.

Barner has a chance to be a game changer, but will need another TE to step up as the main blocking TE.

Harris is a Preferred Walk On ((I think))

Any update on Daugstrup - I know he had a major HS injury[knee I think] that hurt his recruiting and frankly allowed us to get him - thinking if healthy he could be a sleeper?

Adam Henry’s 1st Interview as IU Receivers Coach

I like the point about teaching WR play to players new to the position.
(It can’t hurt to start over and see who is really paying attention).
Professional WR prep, note taking, shows a focus on the mental game too.
Staying late with WRs on the Juggs machine sounds like a plan.
Recap on Allen’s recruiting Adam was positive too.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/3/22/football-quoted-adam-henry-introductory-press-conference.aspx

https://saturdaytradition.com/india...h-and-co-oc-speaks-about-program-on-the-rise/

Last edited:
https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/4/5/football-spring-ball-chatter-wide-receivers.aspx

Newcomers Cam Camper (Juco) and Emory Simmons (UNC) appear to have the inside track. I expect DJ Mathews back in the slot from prior articles. Walt Bell, OC, took the interview instead of new WR Coach Adam Henry.

I presume, Swinton and Ellis look to need big improvements this summer and monster fall camps to see the field often.

AJ Barner is the expected TE starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
News on QBs throwing to these WRs has been scant. “Conner has the biggest arm“ doesn’t say much about how well he understands the offense and fits in the scheme.

I expect Bielema to look for tape on Bell’s MD offense.

Let’s hope if McCulley is used as a 3rd & short, goalline Wildcat QB, that McCully has some RPO throws that keep the defense honest.

https://saturdaytradition.com/india...bell-talks-hoosiers-qb-situation-this-spring/

Last edited:
I know there is extra risk with the portal,but i would heavily consider redshirting DMac - I know he’s all football now etc but he is talented but very very raw - would love to see what he might look like after a year of QB training.Personally don’t want to use a year of eligibility on an occasional wildcat/goal line situation.

I know there is extra risk with the portal,but i would heavily consider redshirting DMac - I know he’s all football now etc but he is talented but very very raw - would love to see what he might look like after a year of QB training.Personally don’t want to use a year of eligibility on an occasional wildcat/goal line situation.
The problem if you don't have packages for DMac there is a good chance he would transfer out especially if Connor ends up as the starter with three years to go. It is a different world now and seasoning players for the future isn't a good strategy any more.

What about Omar Cooper - I thought he was coming in too? Doubtful a frosh plays, particularly one that starts late, but I thought he was in the mix at WR.

The problem if you don't have packages for DMac there is a good chance he would transfer out especially if Connor ends up as the starter with three years to go. It is a different world now and seasoning players for the future isn't a good strategy any more.
To me his issue will be whether or not he sees an avenue to start eventually. Do we know Bazelak is the starter? If so, at best, DMac is probably three on the list due to Tuttle's having more experience. If he doesn't think he can see the field as a starter at least by his junior year of eligibility then I think he goes. The fall practice, his practice and performance in the offense and where he ends up on the depth chart will determine how long he sticks.

To me his issue will be whether or not he sees an avenue to start eventually. Do we know Bazelak is the starter? If so, at best, DMac is probably three on the list due to Tuttle's having more experience. If he doesn't think he can see the field as a starter at least by his junior year of eligibility then I think he goes. The fall practice, his practice and performance in the offense and where he ends up on the depth chart will determine how long he sticks.
Sounds to me like Tuttle has the edge at the moment (based on Bells comment about Blazelaks eye discipline)..., but who really knows aside from Bell and Allen...

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see all four get some reps throughout the first 4 games...

Both Bell and Allen have had to deal with losing multiple QB's in the recent past... My guess is they'll attempt to use the early games to get Everybody as ready as possible for the next 8... Just my take on it based solely on instinct...

What about Omar Cooper - I thought he was coming in too? Doubtful a frosh plays, particularly one that starts late, but I thought he was in the mix at WR.
He may not name every receiver and I do t think Cooper is a mid year enrollee either. But Cooper could play his way into the mix, people who have seen him say he is the real deal. (Has David Bell from Purdue vibe to me, which is a good thing if wondering)

Coach Henry gets some props from portal transfer Simmons.
Let’s hope Henry’s WR group wears out the ‘juggs’ equipment this summer
(there were too many drops last year).
Maybe spring practice with new coaches flushed last season down the drain.
Between Johnson and Henry, Bell seems to be getting a lot of support.

(Sourced from Pete DiPrimo) Here’s what Simmons had to say about his new WR coach:

“You have no choice, but have respect for a guy like Coach Henry,” said Simmons. “From his background and where he’s come from and the guys he’s interacted with, no choice but respect him. I take nuggets from him every day. Trying to piece those nuggets together. I know in the long run, the end goal is to get where he just came from.

https://saturdaytradition.com/india...-loved-learning-from-new-wr-coach-adam-henry/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT