ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, Purdue related...Haas done for the year...

Purdue was in a damn good position without Swanigan this year weren’t they?
Maybe Matt will get past the Sweet 16 in the next 13 years. I'm all for giving Matt a shot at it.

PU was better off with their best recruit in 25 years.

If I recall correctly(?), in '80 IU was ranked #1 preseason...Woodson got hurt but came back late in the season. We still won the Big 10 but Woody wasn't the same player as before he got hurt.
Woody played in the last six games of the Big Ten and into the tournament, but he lacked stamina and durability against physical defenses. Still was the Big Ten MVP despite playing in only a third of the conference games.

****. One of my winners. I am also rooting for them. Saw the play. The CSF player was dirty and should have been T’ed up. The consolidation is that Haarms is not a big drop off from Haas.

Totally disagree with the CSF dirty player assessment.

In my opinion... this is totally on Haas.

All year long.... he has used his arms and elbows and upper body bulk to
get into the opposing player... then ACTS LIKE he is being tied up... when it's actually him that is locking arms with the players.

From what I saw in the replay, I feel that he was doing his normal acting,
which got him off balance, and the fact that the ball was right there to grab with his off hand... gave him no way to catch himself while going down.
His elbow crashed to the floor as he was going down... done deal.

My point... It wouldn't have happened if he would have done a normal block out... without the Arm acting.

People will probably hammer me for this comment... but that's what I saw.

[QU
Totally disagree with the CSF dirty player assessment.

In my opinion... this is totally on Haas.

All year long.... he has used his arms and elbows and upper body bulk to
get into the opposing player... then ACTS LIKE he is being tied up... when it's actually him that is locking arms with the players.

From what I saw in the replay, I feel that he was doing his normal acting,
which got him off balance, and the fact that the ball was right there to grab with his off hand... gave him no way to catch himself while going down.
His elbow crashed to the floor as he was going down... done deal.

My point... It wouldn't have happened if he would have done a normal block out... without the Arm acting.

People will probably hammer me for this comment... but that's what I saw.
Since you are not on the floor you cannot see all that is going on. Your obvious prejudices guide your assertions.
OTE="HoosierJimbo89, post: 2368257, member: 9552"]Probably, lol. Painter has never done that before.

If PU didn't have bad luck in the NCAA's, they would have none at all. I don't think they would have made it past the Sweet 16 with Haas, though.[/QUOTE]
Ha IU a

[QU

Since you are not on the floor you cannot see all that is going on. Your obvious prejudices guide your assertions.

The same can be said for the PU grads and coach who have whined about IH being mugged all season.

IH was indeed fouled in games but he did way more than his share of pushing, shoving, elbowing and body blasting defenders off the ball and blocks.

Go look at yesterday's unfortunate play again and look at his left arm and the resulting position of the defended. try to be objective in your assessment.

The same can be said for the PU grads and coach who have whined about IH being mugged all season.

IH was indeed fouled in games but he did way more than his share of pushing, shoving, elbowing and body blasting defenders off the ball and blocks.

Go look at yesterday's unfortunate play again and look at his left arm and the resulting position of the defended. try to be objective in your assessment.
Exactly. couldn't tell that he landed initially. When I heard he hurt his elbow, I thought he hurt the left one hitting the other player during the play.

Curious how Painter adjusts. He can't just plug another player into his role.

Maybe Matt will get past the Sweet 16 in the next 13 years. I'm all for giving Matt a shot at it.

PU was better off with their best recruit in 25 years.
I think most people would say Purdue is better Team without Swanigan this year. That's not saying Swanigan wasn't a good player but the offense ran to much through him. Obviously there are plenty of games where we would have been better with Swanigan this year.
I would like to say thanks to you guys who have said good things about Haas. Hes a great kid. I feel much worse for him as an individual than our fanbase. It sucks but injuries are a part of the game. IU has had a bunch the last couple years. As a Purdue fan I'm tired of excuses, either win or go home.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I think most people would say Purdue is better Team without Swanigan this year. That's not saying Swanigan wasn't a good player but the offense ran to much through him.
Swanigan is the highest rated recruit PU has had since the early 90's. PU was better off without him? This is just beyond stupid. Teams are better off without their best players, including a once every 25 year recruit?!? Jesus H. Christ.

Reactions: fpeaugh and Hoogolf
Allie LaForce

✔@ALaForce

Isaac Haas practiced w/@BoilerBall this afternoon. He had a brace on his fractured elbow. Brace needs to be cleared by NCAA. IF it is cleared, Purdue will have to decide if they allow him to play. He wants to play per Coach Painter. He will go through warmups tomorrow. @CBSSports

1:38 PM - Mar 17, 2018

If that brace is cleared, he’ll play.
Charles Barkley responded: “Uh..in my day...I probably played 50 games shot up with drugs. He going to have to be shot up with drugs....cortisone....I don’t remember what the drugs were but they gonna have to shoot him up with so many drugs. Legal drugs America. I’m talking legal drugs.”

Swanigan is the highest rated recruit PU has had since the early 90's. PU was better off without him? This is just beyond stupid. Teams are better off without their best players, including a once every 25 year recruit?!? Jesus H. Christ.
Every stat available says they were better this year relative to their competition. There's plenty of crap to talk to PU fans, but this angle you took is beyond weak. Do better.

Allie LaForce

✔@ALaForce

Isaac Haas practiced w/@BoilerBall this afternoon. He had a brace on his fractured elbow. Brace needs to be cleared by NCAA. IF it is cleared, Purdue will have to decide if they allow him to play. He wants to play per Coach Painter. He will go through warmups tomorrow. @CBSSports

1:38 PM - Mar 17, 2018

I suspect this is more about keeping Butler's prep off balance than anything else. IH has a future in the game and risking further injury would be insane. Hopefully his parents have gotten to Painter and made things very clear. If he were my son, I would have, Gotta love the kid wanting to get out there though.

Every stat available says they were better this year relative to their competition. There's plenty of crap to talk to PU fans, but this angle you took is beyond weak. Do better.
What do you mean beyond weak? Jimmy's and Joe's matter more than anything in any sport, and the better players you have, the better your team is. It is like saying IU was better off without Calbert Cheaney or Eric Gordon, which is beyond stupid. Jimmy's and Joe's are why Purdue never does anything in the tournament, and we have Purdue fans saying they are better off without their best recruit in 25 years AND now Haas! I understand it's a combination of mental gymnastics and Hope Springs Eternal, but it is still incredibly stupid.

If players don't matter, then just go grab 8 guys from the YMCA and play them. Why even recruit Swanigan in the first place? If Matt Painter doesn't know how to use Swanigan, then he needs to get out of coaching.

Suspect the NCAA will say no. It’s not known for giving a crap about student athletes.

I still think it is more of a ploy to keep BU's prep off balance. If the NCAA approves the material and Painter plays him, it will appear that it is he who doesn't give a crap about student athletes. Love the kid wanting to play though...warrior.

What do you mean beyond weak? Jimmy's and Joe's matter more than anything in any sport, and the better players you have, the better your team is. It is like saying IU was better off without Calbert Cheaney or Eric Gordon, which is beyond stupid. Jimmy's and Joe's are why Purdue never does anything in the tournament, and we have Purdue fans saying they are better off without their best recruit in 25 years AND now Haas! I understand it's a combination of mental gymnastics and Hope Springs Eternal, but it is still incredibly stupid.

If players don't matter, then just go grab 8 guys from the YMCA and play them. Why even recruit Swanigan in the first place? If Matt Painter doesn't know how to use Swanigan, then he needs to get out of coaching.

So you’re basically saying stats/facts don’t matter? Lol.

Suspect the NCAA will say no. It’s not known for giving a crap about student athletes.

You got that right. Now, if this happened to a big man at Duke, Kansas, UK or UNC, you’d bet that it would be a no-brainer for the NCAA to clear the brace, even if it was made of cardboard and duct tape, no questions asked. That’s how they operate.

So you’re basically saying stats/facts don’t matter? Lol.
I am saying Jimmy's and Joe's matter, and saying you are better off without Swanigan this year is incredibly dumb. Also, you are ignoring the fact that teams can improve from year to year: if your coach can't improve a squad, it is on him.

There is no curse on PU: everybody suffers injuries. The reason PU never does anything in the NCAA's is lack of consistent, top flight talent and athleticism. The problem is you don't bring in enough Swanigan's, not Swanigan himself: THAT is why saying PU is better off without Swanigan is stupid.

Last edited:
I suspect this is more about keeping Butler's prep off balance than anything else. IH has a future in the game and risking further injury would be insane. Hopefully his parents have gotten to Painter and made things very clear. If he were my son, I would have, Gotta love the kid wanting to get out there though.
Scott May played with a broken arm. I would imagine it depends on how likely the brace can prevent further damage and the mobility restrictions.

Scott May played with a broken arm. I would imagine it depends on how likely the brace can prevent further damage and the mobility restrictions.
Yabbut, the NCAA doesn't care about that. They have to rule as to whether or not the brace is a danger to others.

Yep, and Alan Henderson played with a torn ligament in his knee. knight cared about them just like Painter cares about Haas. Suggesting otherwise is really crazy.

Reactions: asindc

Correct. That has to be a Physician's call, not that of a gritty player or a desperate coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT