ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, but I feel bad for Purdue.

Hindsight being what it is we could have used a 3rd pg. I don’t agree that we should have taken one, but if we would have taken a second pg besides JHS last year I still wouldn’t have wanted Smith. I would have rather taken a pg capable of playing solid defense.
Defense is the gap for sure but he could play a rotational role for a lot of teams.

I expect this will be met with snark and guffaws' but I'm posting it anyway.

This specific group seemed to be decent, hard pushing, fundamentally sound basketball players. Worked hard and tried to play a good clean game. Trace and Edey had a good on-court report and who wouldn't want a Smith or Loyer in an IU jersey.

Purdue was predicted to mark #6 in the BigTen in the preseason but they overachieved throughout from November to February and got #1 seeding. Pushing that hard, when March hit, they had little gas left. Reality caught up.

Congratulations to them. Despite how the year ended, they were good, and a team the university can be proud of.

You feel bad?
I think you are the ONLY one!

Kudos for stating it though. Admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery!!

The Purdue coaching staff did not have those players ready for what was coming. The first question to ask would be: How does FDU beat Purdue? Answer....speed it up and swarm them on defense....i.e. go for broke. Purdue folded under the pressure early and never recovered. And part of the reason they didn't recover is they didn't adjust to the tempo...with an extra ball handler on the floor...maybe three guards to neutralize that pressure...at least enough to curb the turnovers. Monday morning, and I'm under center to be sure....but I do believe Painter did not prepare for the opponent as needed.
I think if Painter would be willing to play some 2/3 zone, Purdue wins that game going away. Being singularly man2man is not a great plan when your squad is built around an immobile giant

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I will take Gallo over Smith and Loyer (combined) every day of the week and Sunday. And I'll continue to **** on Purdue as long as their fans and their little brother mentality chant "IU sucks" at every game. That fan base is the definition of backwater with no understanding of where they sit at the national level, which is much lower than any of them realize.

Reactions: IUgradman
Fairleigh Dickinson came into the game with one win against the top 300 opponent. The tallest guy on their team is 6 ft 6 in. Somehow Purdue did this to themselves.
FDU was easily one of the fastest and quickest teams I saw this year and I watch a lot of college bb

But I can easily hate on their fanbase. Full of douchebags obsessed with IU. Embarrassing, cringeworthy sh!+ like chanting " IU Sucks" even when playing other schools. Defensive, paranoid assholes who run to this board looking for validation, too obtuse to understand that taking a dump on someone else's porch will earn them scorn and a verbal wedgie. Thin-skinned jackasses with no sense of humor or ability to ignore even the smallest insult. Losers who gloat over every IU loss even when they are mediocre themselves. They are the sole reason I root for Purdue to lose every game. If they ever find the self-respect to set higher goals than just being better than IU, I might not get such joy out of their misery. But the IU obsession gets ingrained in them the moment they hit the campus, or by their parents if they don't attend Purdue. If they continue to choose to be pathetic, I'll continue to celebrate their failure.

I just wanted to quote this.

Trace and Edey had a good on-court report and who wouldn't want a Smith or Loyer in an IU jersey.
Could you provide a link to this report if not a brief summary of its content?

Purdue came out of the box hot because of their freshmen backcourt. Teams didn't have enough film to study their tendencies for counter-action. They played the marquee teams early when coaches were still sorting things out. The term "fool's gold" was heard here and proved to be the wisdom of sage.

Smith is a decent point guard...low center of gravity, drives hard to the basket, passes well, scrappy...that sort of thing. He plays almost like Billy Keller did for them back when apple...excuse me, peach baskets were still in favor. However, point guards come a dime/dozen with every team having a decent to semi-decent one. As others have pointed out, his size and speed won't be getting any quicker in physicality and time. Loyer was good for a freshman but will be average as an upper classman. He's no Brian Cardinal or Robbie Hummel, thankfully.

I don't feel sorry for Purdue...never have/will. It's in my blood, coursing through my veins. I don't expect them to feel sorry for us if we lose tonight. We have good kids, too, a God-fearing coach doing things the right way. All that BS doesn't mean diddly squat when it comes to disliking your arch-rival across state. Go ahead and feel sorry for them if it makes you feel more altruistic in spirit. For your show of good heart, I'd plant a gold star sticker slightly off center of your forehead just to piss you off in case you're OCD. If their tournament flameouts make a 4-5* recruit think twice before accepting a scholarship there, all the better for us in our head to head battles going forward.

I always give my Purdue friends the courtesy of space after a tough loss. There's no sense in pouring gasoline on an open wound when salt does the trick. I'll let them make the first post game contact, which I don't suspect will occur until IU exits the tourney. At that point, I'll remind them of their place in college basketball history as the "flaming garbage barge floating down the Wabash/Exxon Valdez of March" analogy of such journalistic brilliance. Surely, Shirley has paid the man by now.

I expect this will be met with snark and guffaws' but I'm posting it anyway.

This specific group seemed to be decent, hard pushing, fundamentally sound basketball players. Worked hard and tried to play a good clean game. Trace and Edey had a good on-court report and who wouldn't want a Smith or Loyer in an IU jersey.

Purdue was predicted to mark #6 in the BigTen in the preseason but they overachieved throughout from November to February and got #1 seeding. Pushing that hard, when March hit, they had little gas left. Reality caught up.

Congratulations to them. Despite how the year ended, they were good, and a team the university can be proud of.
Whenever I consider feeling sorry for Purdue after yet another embarrassing ending to their season, I just think back on all the times I have been talking to a fellow IU grad or fan about one of our teams and had a Purdue fan come up, uninvited, to tell us how much better Purdue is and how irrelevant we are. Or how many times I've heard the "IU sucks" chant coming from one of their athletic venues when we're not even playing them. Or how many times I've had to hear about the dusty banners or the head-to-head. Or how may times I've heard that Edey is better than TJD, even though they'd certainly rather have TJD right now, or any other time it's really mattered.

So, no, I will never feel sorry for Purdue. Never. It is the absolute worst fanbase in sports history. It is the classic example of building oneself up by tearing others down, because they have accomplished nothing by which to build themselves up. Maybe they'll shut up for a while now. But I doubt it. So they can suck it.

As to the players, and especially their big men, they're the ones that chose to go play for a coach who would rather teach sumo wrestling and body checking than teach actual developmental basketball. It was their choice, with their predictable ending. The truly sad thing to me is when big men with actual talent go waste it playing there.

Some IU fans here can defend Painter as a "class act", and he very well may be. But fact is Painter has massively and consistently underachieved in the ncaa tournament. At some point theyll have to say enough is enough if they dont want to waste the next decade like we did with Crean and Miller.
Remember what they say about the definition of insanity
Did you seriously just compare Matt Painter’s success at Purdue with Archie Miller’s at Indiana?

In 18 seasons, Painter has had:

4 - 1/T1
4 - 2/T2
3 - 3/T3
2 - 4/T4
1 - 6/T6
1 - 7/T7

That’s 13 seasons of 4th or better and just 3 worse than 7th place.

If that’s not the best B10 record over that period, it’s close.

Archie went from T6 to 9th to T10 to T10. In other words, Archie had as many seasons worse than 7th place in his 4 years than Painter has had in 18 years.

What I’d have given for Archie to win the conference, win the BTT, win 29 games, get a number 1 seed…only to lose.

Of course everybody wants to win in March and nobody wants to lose to 16 seeds. But first you have to position yourself to play one.

Last edited:
I can't hate on Painter. He's a good coach - better than a number of idiots who have a final four or even a natty. He does things the right way. He's demanding. He runs a clean program. He's a straight shooter, win or lose.
Is this the same goody two shoes Painter rumored to be porking one of his team's cheerleaders in favor of his wife's same-samo, tired old body? No one gets divorced without reason, even the anointed saints.

Here is a typical PU fan...A guy that coaches with my son, sent out a message on a group chat to the entire staff, saying how great PU is and making fun of IU and ND...minutes after getting beat by FDU!!!

A mind bender of sorts. Painter named coach of the year the past 2 years. He loses the first game 2 years in a row. He simply states both times...I got out coached. Enough said.

Here is a typical PU fan...A guy that coaches with my son, sent out a message on a group chat to the entire staff, saying how great PU is and making fun of IU and ND...minutes after getting beat by FDU!!

Here is a typical PU fan...A guy that coaches with my son, sent out a message on a group chat to the entire staff, saying how great PU is and making fun of IU and ND...minutes after getting beat by FDU!!!
That's how obsessed and delusional they are!!

I wouldn't be surprised if PU tries to parlay this infamous act of history into something positive, much like our '75 team did as a motivational tool for '76. I think this loss will be the deciding factor in Edey saying another year. Wasn't he the one whose mother uprooted to live in West Lafayette to be near her son? He might be a momma's boy with some reluctance to leave the nest for the more uncertain real world. Whatever trophies they win next season, the "Worst defeat in NCAA Tournament History" (Wall Street Journal article) feat will be forever shaming for their program much like Virginia finds itself in history, still logged in time five years later.

Something about Edey's appearance intrigues me. His pupils appear to be halfway underneath his upper eye lids when at rest. It's not an ugly look, just an unusual one. Maybe it's due to his habit of lowing the chin to talk with those of shorter stature, the looking down on fellow Man, which causes his eyes to naturally rotate up and back. It gives him a Lurch-like look of questionable wonder.

A mind bender of sorts. Painter named coach of the year the past 2 years. He loses the first game 2 years in a row. He simply states both times...I got out coached. Enough said.
Not enough said, how often can a coach get out-coached before no longer coaching?

That sounds too delusional to be held as a truism." Copy and paste" will be more convincing.

Puke only did so well because officials let Edey live in the post. He should’ve averaged 8-10 three second calls a game.
From what I have seen it's been Camper's World in the lane for most
teams in the tournament.

The rough play appears more like rugby than basketball especially
under the basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT