ADVERTISEMENT

Some posters are eating crow tonight . . .

Was a tough night - originally expected to be a top 5 pick or so prior to playing for Archie...so that made sitting and waiting for 14 tough...

But after playing for Archie and he was projected as 18-mid20s...had to be thrilled to stay in the lottery picks...

Says a lot abt Romeo that he chose the suit lining he did...

Was a tough night - originally expected to be a top 5 pick or so prior to playing for Archie...so that made sitting and waiting for 14 tough...

But after playing for Archie and he was projected as 18-mid20s...had to be thrilled to stay in the lottery picks...

Sounds like you had a good talk with Romeo following the draft. What else did he say?

c'mon, he had an injury and the team, for which he was the leading scorer and best player, underperformed big time. Can you honestly say you didn't question his game watching his demeanor and body language during the season? Top 5 went out the window when he looked overmatched against Duke's heralded freshmen. Those things naturally are going to hurt his draft stock, and top 5 was always a longshot and would have been predicated on the above things NOT happening. But they did, and he still was a lottery pick. Great night for him and IU, all things considered.

Don’t shoot the messenger. On ESPN radio when summarizing the first round picks, when they got to the 14th pick they said that Brad Stevens was making a big bet on Romeo’s potential. The comment was “Romeo stunk last year. I mean he really stunk.”

I am paraphrasing here but the announcer did use the word stunk twice. And it was by far the most brutal analysis of any of the players taking in the first round.

I'm eating crow that Daniel Gafford didn't go first round. That I got wrong.

Agreed! Against us, he was probably the 2nd most NBA ready looking player we faced after Zion. The kid from Lville was great, but didn't he come back? Barrett was right there too, and I agree it won't surprise me if he's ROY.... he's going to get his points regardless.

Must have been extremely tough night for guys like Little, Bol Bol, Reddish, etc.

Just shut up already.

Reactions: chemist and brianiu

So is Roy Williams a good coach because Coby White and Cam Johnson were drafted higher than expected or a bad coach because Nassir Little dropped?

I can't keep up.

Never understood who was thinking Bol Bol would go high.

NBA executives screw up every year.

The same mock drafts that had Romeo going in the top 5-ish last year also had Romeo going top 5 simply based off recruiting rankings. You'll have to understand that Cryano is a douche bag and will try any and every way possible to discredit Archie even though Romeo still ended up going in the lottery.

I believe the lottery is every team that didn't make the playoffs... after that I think it's based on season finish and maybe record.

I believe the lottery is every team that didn't make the playoffs... after that I think it's based on season finish and maybe record.
I think they draw balls for the exact lottery selection order and final records are used to give lower performing teams a bit better odds in selecting the order of finish. So, the worse performing team does not automatically get the first selection in the lottery.

I think they draw balls for the exact lottery selection order and final records are used to give lower performing teams a bit better odds in selecting the order of finish. So, the worse performing team does not automatically get the first selection in the lottery.

correct, that's what the lottery is: weighted lottery of all non-playoff teams. I'm saying after those 14 teams I believe it's based on record (ie. Detroit as the 15th pick had the worst record of any playoff team eliminated in the first round).

Reactions: Squonk too
correct, that's what the lottery is: weighted lottery of all non-playoff teams. I'm saying after those 14 teams I believe it's based on record (ie. Detroit as the 15th pick had the worst record of any playoff team eliminated in the first round).
That is my belief too . . .

So is Roy Williams a good coach because Coby White and Cam Johnson were drafted higher than expected or a bad coach because Nassir Little dropped?

I can't keep up.
Idk if that correlation can be made by such a small sample size. You can try to make your own decision there.

Id assume it would have some impact on the minds of recruits hoping to play in the NBA though, probably why Duke and UK keep having the success w recruits that they do.

The same mock drafts that had Romeo going in the top 5-ish last year also had Romeo going top 5 simply based off recruiting rankings. You'll have to understand that Cryano is a douche bag and will try any and every way possible to discredit Archie even though Romeo still ended up going in the lottery.
hondo - you are logged in under your other account...its getting confusing!

Nobody is eating crow. Some drafts had OG being around 15 and he went in the 20's. Kawhi was drafted 15 in his draft.

Great job Romeo. Drafted at 14. Also gets to play for stevens and one of the 2 most legendary franchises in the NBA.

Kind of wish he would of went to the pels at 17 to join AAU buddy Jaxson Hayes and that other guy they picked 1st.

He would’ve been top 10 had he have gone to Duke or UK. They would’ve let him play off the ball and production expectations would’ve been lower.

He’s a perfect example of why so many kids go play as 3rd option at Duke, UK, etc.

I wish him all the best.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
Higher than they thought? What planet do they live on?
Preseason he was supposed to be a top 10 lock. He had a good year but didn't live up to expectations and was in that 15-25 range in a lot of mocks before the draft. It was even mentioned on tv yesterday that those in Romeo's "camp" we're worried about him slipping on draft day. Good for him for going in the lottery.

One of the things that is consistent about the NBA is that they tend to draft and gamble on players with high upsides. Many times a team takes a "One and Done" with a lot of potential who may contribute two or three years from now rather than a 4 year player who is more of a finished product but doesn't have as high a ceiling.

Idk if that correlation can be made by such a small sample size. You can try to make your own decision there.

Id assume it would have some impact on the minds of recruits hoping to play in the NBA though, probably why Duke and UK keep having the success w recruits that they do.
Yet you are happy to draw conclusions about Archie based on a smaller sample size (1 result).

Yet you are happy to draw conclusions about Archie based on a smaller sample size (1 result).
Archie has coached in over 60 games...thats not a small sample to see if he uses manages game, timeouts, is effective out of timeouts, has an offensive gameplan, identifies and improves his team’s weaknesses, addresses team weakness with adjustments to the asst coaching staff, communicates with and builds buy in with the team...

Reactions: birdforbogey
Dang - try to be positive on a thread...and people just can’t let it be...they have to pull the reality out with snarky-sarcasm...and then tell you the reality you state is being negative...

Archie has coached in over 60 games...thats not a small sample to see if he uses manages game, timeouts, is effective out of timeouts, has an offensive gameplan, identifies and improves his team’s weaknesses, addresses team weakness with adjustments to the asst coaching staff, communicates with and builds buy in with the team...

Cry, you keep talking about how disappointed you are that CAM didn't make any assistant coaching adjustments this off-season.

I can only assume, based on your extensive knowledge of all areas of major college basketball (as you indicate in the post above) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, that you would be throwing your hat in the ring if a position came open.

I'm sure other coaches across the country wait breathlessly for you to post so they can expand their understanding of the game at the foot of the master.

correct, that's what the lottery is: weighted lottery of all non-playoff teams. I'm saying after those 14 teams I believe it's based on record
I believe the worst team gets 14 balls in the machine, second worst 13, etc. down to the "best" non-playoff team getting 1 ball.

Best player or most talented player? I'd put Morgan way above him in importance to that team, either way. SG isn't exactly a position you can dominate a game from unless that guard just doesn't miss and plays lock down D. I'd argue RP had a much bigger impact on the team than Romeo did. That said, he was drafted on athleticism and potential. Players who are ready for the NBA coming out of HS aren't exactly very common. He wasn't, but would've been drafted earlier based entirely on potential. Not tough to explain him "struggling" to the tune 16.5, 5.5, and 2 a game...

c'mon, he had an injury and the team, for which he was the leading scorer and best player, underperformed big time. Can you honestly say you didn't question his game watching his demeanor and body language during the season? Top 5 went out the window when he looked overmatched against Duke's heralded freshmen. Those things naturally are going to hurt his draft stock, and top 5 was always a longshot and would have been predicated on the above things NOT happening. But they did, and he still was a lottery pick. Great night for him and IU, all things considered.

Cry, you keep talking about how disappointed you are that CAM didn't make any assistant coaching adjustments this off-season.

I can only assume, based on your extensive knowledge of all areas of major college basketball (as you indicate in the post above) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, that you would be throwing your hat in the ring if a position came open.

I'm sure other coaches across the country wait breathlessly for you to post so they can expand their understanding of the game at the foot of the master.
Thats pretty funny...
However, like you are insinuating, I’m just a dipchit Hoosier fan posting my opinion on the free board. But hell, if I can see a little of the surface problems Archie’s Hoosiers have - just imagine what a real expert can pick apart.

Thats pretty funny...
However, like you are insinuating, I’m just a dipchit Hoosier fan posting my opinion on the free board. But hell, if I can see a little of the surface problems Archie’s Hoosiers have - just imagine what a real expert can pick apart.
Izzo sure had trouble figuring him out.

Reactions: RRgo

But you weren't talking about games. You were talking about how Romeo's falling in the draft was Archie's fault. One example...the smallest of sample sizes...good enough when you want it to be.

Go play that tiny violin somewhere else. Don't wanna hear it.

Romeo went much higher then they thought.
:cool::):D
That doesn't validate the $hit filled, underwhelming season, he spent here. Yeah, BS, I believe it resonates of NBA thinking he was as good as advertised, got $shit coaching, gained little experience, and his stock fell further in perception as far as fans vs. basketball insiders. I think he'll be fine, probably an all-star. Nonetheless, his wasted return us to glory year here I think does have to do with our coach, and how he was used. You just don't lose 12! games in a row and then still almost make the tourney on good wins if something ain't major f'n wrong with the team.

I just like how you make it sound that playing for Archie dropped him out of the top five and not the fact his outside shooting was horrible or the fact he has a hand injury.

i usually think of you as a piece of shit but after reading this post i think you even a BIGGER piece of shit.

expectations are changing all over the place...

takes more players to see if it's the coach or not but we get that two years is an eternity for living, breathing poo lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT