ADVERTISEMENT

So, the shooter was wearing a Right Wing Militia t-shirt

So here is what we do know about the shooter, according to classmates/friends. He was bullied in school,for among other things wearing hunting/military camoflage.One fellow student described him as such a bad shot that he was kicked off the rifle team because the other team members feared for their lives whenever he shot.

He registered as a Republican in Sept 2021, and voted in the 2022 midterms. His Dad who bought the gun is a registered Republican and his Mom is a Dem. He was 19 yrs old at the time with no criminal record, so up until yesterday it was legal for him to own/operate a firearm. I'm sure more will be coming out on that front...

He could be to the right or left of Trump politically, we just don't know. Something caused his to register as a Republican roughly 9 months before the 2022 GOP primary. Trump wasn't even on the ballot or an announced 2024 candidate.Based on his apparent love for Miltary unis and weaponry, I'll say he may have registered GOP as a negative reaction to the Afghanistan withdrawal, but again we don't know his motivation. We do know that the PA GOP stepped up their recruiting efforts in that time frame, so he might have been swept up in the hype.

I do personally think that makes a lot more sense than the idea put forth by some that an 18 yr old kid was secretly a leftist who registered incognito as a Pub in order to ??? I can't even speculate because imho the concept is so ludicrous.I mean which GOP candidate was he secretly trying to sabotage? A retired former officer like Mastriano? Hell maybe he was a true believer that blamed Trump for Mastriano's loss or for a horrible candidate like OZ. Maybe like the protaganist of Thr River, he was brought up to do "like your Daddy done".

Coincidentally enough,PA is a state I think of when I contemplate the possible story/plotline behind The River...lots of valleys, rivers, steel mills, coal mines etc.. in PA...
All of which is completely non-responsive to my point.

Reactions: mcmurtry66 and DANC
So, are you saying that Trump's injury on his ear was worse than Pelosi's husbands skull being bashed in by a guy who was there for the sole purpose of assassinating the Speaker of the US House of Reps? He may have not even been shot. People are saying the teleprompter shattered and may have cut his ear (ironic because Trump supposedly doesn't use teleprompters 🤷‍♂️). The shooting at the rally was disgusting but it seems like we're heading for a collective shrug of our shoulders saying "there's nothing we can do to prevent mentally ill people from getting AR-15s"

This is ABSOLUTELY a huge red flag, and I can't watch that video again. This needs to be investigated and heads should roll at the SS. The fact is, the SS can't be everywhere at all times. They f#cked up.
There may be more to it than simply saying the "SS ****ed up". Turns out that for events like this the SS relies pretty heavily on local law enforcement...

"It turns out, the Secret Service’s over reliance on Pennsylvania cops may be partially to blame, with a report from The Washington Post revealing Sunday the agency punted the responsibility of surveying and securing some nearby structures to local officers.

Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesperson for the Secret Service, conceded that the agency relied on local law enforcement to fill in “significant parts of its typical array of specialized protective units,” the Post reported."

It may have been an issue of manpower, since both Jill Biden and VP Harris had campaign events yesterday as well.Also POTUS was in Delaware and that means a security detail as well. Trump was in Trump country so they may have decided to give the local pro-Trump law enforcement agencies a larger role...

Any average .308, 7.62, 5.56 round, with a correctly configured platform and even a basic optic should make that shot literally every time. A larger round, such as the Hornady .338 Lapua Magnum Match 285 gr boat tail, zeroes at 200 yards. A thousand dollar optic, say 5x25x50, ffp. , a human head looks like the side of a barn.
My opinion, an amateur...
He had an AR-15 "style" rifle, right? Isn't that a .223? I don't know - I'm out of my league when it comes to ballistics. I haven't heard he used a scope. I'm sure we'll find out.

There may be more to it than simply saying the "SS ****ed up". Turns out that for events like this the SS relies pretty heavily on local law enforcement...

"It turns out, the Secret Service’s over reliance on Pennsylvania cops may be partially to blame, with a report from The Washington Post revealing Sunday the agency punted the responsibility of surveying and securing some nearby structures to local officers.

Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesperson for the Secret Service, conceded that the agency relied on local law enforcement to fill in “significant parts of its typical array of specialized protective units,” the Post reported."

It may have been an issue of manpower, since both Jill Biden and VP Harris had campaign events yesterday as well.Also POTUS was in Delaware and that means a security detail as well. Trump was in Trump country so they may have decided to give the local pro-Trump law enforcement agencies a larger role...

Maybe so, but that seems like something that shouldn’t be punted

Attempts don’t count I guess. A husband doesn’t count, I guess. Attempted kidnapping doesn’t count I guess. So maybe Trump shouldn’t count since he was just nicked?
I’m not ya buying anything. I’m saying that the rhetoric from Trump and the right wing has been increasing violence since he has been on the scene, And the Big Lie was the most audacious of them all, that caused mass violence. This came directly from Trump and his associates. You can’t trace anything about today or the other shooting directly to what Democrats have said,

I asked a very specific question that many of you want to expand to prove some point.

Scalise is one and Trump may be the second. Now, if you or others want to acknowledge that fact and then counter that if one is to look beyond my stated question, then by all means do so.

But so far, nobody has.

And I am not trying to trace anything back to anything a dem has said. I simply questioned the validity of your 100 quotes statement. You clearly pointed out some books and films which I said I would check out.

I then noted that there has only been one violent attack against a federal politician for political reasons, in recent memory, that being Scalise. And now Trump, could, COULD, be the second.

Reactions: DANC
All of which is completely non-responsive to my point.
I guess my point was that the Trump team went all incindiary on assuming it was someone on the left (and someone influenced by Biden) very prematurely.JD Vance put out an inflammatory tweet (still angling for that VP slot) trying to accuse Biden's rhetoric of being to blame.

Aside from the fact that such a claim ignores Trump's own role in promoting an environment of hate, there is (as of yet) not a single shred of evidence that the shooter had any positive feelings towards Biden. Moreover, for all we know the shooter could have been someone on the far right of the spectrum upset over Trump's attempts to pull back on positions like abortion or gun rights. So it seems more than a little premature to blame someone on the left, or someone inspired by Biden's rhetoric. We simply don't know the kid's motivation...

Reactions: DrHoops and T.M.P.
I asked a very specific question that many of you want to expand to prove some point.

Scalise is one and Trump may be the second. Now, if you or others want to acknowledge that fact and then counter that if one is to look beyond my stated question, then by all means do so.

But so far, nobody has.

And I am not trying to trace anything back to anything a dem has said. I simply questioned the validity of your 100 quotes statement. You clearly pointed out some books and films which I said I would check out.

I then noted that there has only been one violent attack against a federal politician for political reasons, in recent memory, that being Scalise. And now Trump, could, COULD, be the second.
That’s kind of like when I see a stat that says the first time a rookie basketball player has hit 5 threes, 7 rebounds, 9 assists, playing against the Pacers. It’s rather specific and doesn’t prove much. And I still disagree that Giffords wasn’t political.
Now I’m going to make a post about all the times that Dems have been targeted but the assaulter failed.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
McMurt, our resident arsehole

the attacker gets McMurt points for being stupid and missing his intended target, Nancy.

I'm talking about you again personally insulting me. You did it in another thread. I have not made any personal insults towards you. Yet, because we disagree, you choose to use personal insults.

That’s kind of like when I see a stat that says the first time a rookie basketball player has hit 5 threes, 7 rebounds, 9 assists, playing against the Pacers. It’s rather specific and doesn’t prove much. And I still disagree that Giffords wasn’t political.
Now I’m going to make a post about all the times that Dems have been targeted but the assaulter failed.

Ok. But is it really that hard to say: you are correct on Scalise and possibly Trup but I think your question is too narrowly focused and should include this or that?

Once I read the book and watch the films (if they are free), and if are correct, I'll say so.

I've already proven Giffords wasn't political in another reply. Luckily it's still on my clipboard.

Reactions: DANC
He had an AR-15 "style" rifle, right? Isn't that a .223? I don't know - I'm out of my league when it comes to ballistics. I haven't heard he used a scope. I'm sure we'll find out.
AR can come in damn near any caliber. AR is kind of like the handle of the hammer, you can put a lot of hammer heads on it. Everything that Mas said is 100% true. All of those rounds are VERY capable of hitting that target, and nearly all of them could do so going out to 500+ yrds, while the rest go MUCH further.
The only thing that I have not noticed confirmed yet, vrs what I saw in a pic, was if this punk was using Iron sights or an optic. What I saw was an AR (or appeared to be) with iron sites, no scope.
The scope of "nearly" any power, would make that shot as easy as scratching your ear, at 150 yrds. With iron sites, still VERY possible, but adds to the complexity.
Either way, it seems that the kid did what he planned, other than Trump turned his head slightly at just the exact moment that he had to, to ,,,,, be on top of the grass today. Otherwise.. nope. It's doesn't get much closer.

Trump turned his head slightly
And on a bit more of a training note, this is why most are taught to shoot the body mass, not the head. .... But a snipers mindset is, well a bit different, and for different reasons than the normal public has to worry about.

Joe, Will you care half as much when it's not an ear, but an entire 3rd grade classroom?
Let me answer your question this way.

When Coach comes down, and starts to put you into traction. I can be there within short order, to unplug all of the tubes.

5.56 NATO round has been standardized for M16 and various generations, to include the IMI Tavor series in bullpup configuration. The AR-15 platform uses mainly the .223, designed to serve as a sport and hunting rifle.
They are considered interchangeable, with the NATO round having higher case pressures, and greater muzzle velocity.
Everyone has some optic on his long gun these days

5.56 NATO round has been standardized for M16 and various generations, to include the IMI Tavor series in bullpup configuration. The AR-15 platform uses mainly the .223, designed to serve as a sport and hunting rifle.
They are considered interchangeable, with the NATO round having higher case pressures, and greater muzzle velocity.
Everyone has some optic on his long gun these days
This kid wasn't a professional. His dad bought the gun. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a scope.

It was an AR-15, so I imagine it was .223. Still would have done considerable damage if it hit the skull.

I still think 150 yards is a difficult shot, considering he probably felt rushed and wasn't good enough to make his HS shooting team.

AR can come in damn near any caliber. AR is kind of like the handle of the hammer, you can put a lot of hammer heads on it. Everything that Mas said is 100% true. All of those rounds are VERY capable of hitting that target, and nearly all of them could do so going out to 500+ yrds, while the rest go MUCH further.
The only thing that I have not noticed confirmed yet, vrs what I saw in a pic, was if this punk was using Iron sights or an optic. What I saw was an AR (or appeared to be) with iron sites, no scope.
The scope of "nearly" any power, would make that shot as easy as scratching your ear, at 150 yrds. With iron sites, still VERY possible, but adds to the complexity.
Either way, it seems that the kid did what he planned, other than Trump turned his head slightly at just the exact moment that he had to, to ,,,,, be on top of the grass today. Otherwise.. nope. It's doesn't get much closer.
The question isn't if it could go that far - of course it could. The question is if the kid was a good enough shot to make it. I know it would be a challenge for me, unlike all the expert riflemen here.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, but haven't seen it in print. Surprised a HS still has a shooting team. Got a link?

This is the only link DANC can mash with his fat hands on his Jitterbug keyboard: 😂

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, but haven't seen it in print. Surprised a HS still has a shooting team. Got a link?
I don't. I think I read it here, but I don't know who posted or where. So it may or may not be true.

You may be surprised to know that there are skeet shooting HS teams in Indiana. My cousin coached the team at Garrett HS - the Railroaders (great name). His son won all kinds of awards. And there were other teams in Indiana, although I don't know which ones.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It was something one of his classmates said during an interview. In Fact the guy who claimed to be a member of the rifle team told the reporter conducting the interview that the other team members felt he was a danger whenever he shot.

It struck me as almost humorous when I heard him say it. He said that whenever Crooks shot he was so off target that the other team members worried they might get (unintentionally) hit. It was so bad that the coaches told him not to come back.

Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT