ADVERTISEMENT

So, can Cig Recruit?

He's been recruiting coordinator in every assistant job he has had so I suspect he's a very strong recruiter. Plus he's cocky and I am sure that plays well with 18 year olds.
Yeah, but he's too old to relate. :D

Last edited:
We're about to find out. Early signing period starts in about two weeks. I don't expect miracles this early but give him time and I think he'll do just fine. And remember, he doesn't look at stars.
He seems to have specific things he likes that may not be captured in stars. If true, it might not be obvious to outsiders how good the class is until we put on the pads next fall (i.e., I have low expectations for our Rivals team ranking but given CCC's track record I am more than willing to give him a pass)

Are there any guys from JMU he could bring? I hope he also has the inside track on the transfer portal and has assurances from the NIL people associated with IU that they're going to provide some financial backing. THey might not be able to outbid the traditional powers for some of the top transfers, but there are others who might be excited about proving themselves under a new, successful coach. Supposedly the going rate for a good transfer portal QB is a million plus.

Reactions: td75 and red hornet
Are there any guys from JMU he could bring? I hope he also has the inside track on the transfer portal and has assurances from the NIL people associated with IU that they're going to provide some financial backing. THey might not be able to outbid the traditional powers for some of the top transfers, but there are others who might be excited about proving themselves under a new, successful coach. Supposedly the going rate for a good transfer portal QB is a million plus.
1 mil for a transfer qb? I think I'd rather recruit and develop my own. And what do these guys do for a mil? Sell t shirts used cars? What exactly?

Yes see the JMU portal thread

Several. Their QB obviously is probably the staffs top target at the moment. They have a WR duo who would immediately jump to the top of the depth chart assuming McCulley doesn't come back, and they have 4 DL who were either 1st or 2nd team all Sun-Belt last season that could all plug and play if not start right away.

1 mil for a transfer qb? I think I'd rather recruit and develop my own. And what do these guys do for a mil? Sell t shirts used cars? What exactly?
That's up to the powers that be to decide. Matt Rhule from Nebraska was talking about it and he's the one that talked about QBs being worth $1 - $2 million in the transfer portal. For the most part, that's sort of being widely accepted.

And even a 'home grown' and internally developed QB is going to what that much in NIL deals. If they're any good and don't get that, they'll be in the transfer portal getting it somewhere else.

EDIT TO ADD: Quinn Ewers was making a million+ in NIL deals while he was a back up at Ohio State and didn't play a single meaningful minute of football. Good players want to - and will - get paid a lot of money to play college football.

That's up to the powers that be to decide. Matt Rhule from Nebraska was talking about it and he's the one that talked about QBs being worth $1 - $2 million in the transfer portal. For the most part, that's sort of being widely accepted.

And even a 'home grown' and internally developed QB is going to what that much in NIL deals. If they're any good and don't get that, they'll be in the transfer portal getting it somewhere else.

EDIT TO ADD: Quinn Ewers was making a million+ in NIL deals while he was a back up at Ohio State and didn't play a single meaningful minute of football. Good players want to - and will - get paid a lot of money to play college football.
That honestly makes me want to 🤮! It just now occurs to me we don’t just need a mountain of annual cash to buy a team, we’ve gotta buy a bunch of backups too! What a joke college athletics has become. Mark Emmert should be thrown in jail.

But what exactly do they do to earn that kind of money? Only a select few are going to have their images on a video game or cereal box. We all understand they're making money for the university through ticket sales and tv. So why don't schools pay them directly? Stop the third party charade.

I don't know how sustainable it truly is, particularly long-term. How many times can you realistically go to the same big 💰 boosters and expect them to cough up 5M-10M per year for NIL???

The players have always been getting paid by athletic scholarships. A few decided ( probably egged on by attorneys) that wasn't enough. Now we have the mess we're in now.

No.

Boosters have always been known to be paying players. This just made it legal.

If the NCAA would have been smart and jumped out in front of this thing instead of acting like there wasn't an issue in the first place, we might see the NCAA actually have some authority over what and what isn't allowed NIL wise.

The players were going to get paid one way or another. The way the NCAA chose to handle it handicapped them in the end.

They 'endorse' charities.

It wasn't at the time. Alabama was pretty mediocre until Saban came along and make Cig his recruiting coordinator.
True, but I remember Alabama being at the top of the heap before
hitting the lean years. Hell, their band would spell out the game
score at halftime, Alabama 40 xyz school 0. You knew they
were not going to be down long. It was all about that guy wearing
the houndstooth hat.

Alabama should have always been a power, but when you hire Mike Dubose and Mike Shula you deserve your fall from grace.
Saban fell into a powerhouse situtation that had nowhere to go but up. Being an impressive coach helped of course.

When James Franklin came to Vanderbilt, I saw a guy who could recruit. He said the only thing needed to turn around a team was for the best players to see the light and come there.

Franklin has more natural charisma than Coach Cignetti. He also has a more of a, well, bulls### feel... He could out-recruit CIgnetti. (Who's bravado has a little of that feel, just not in the same way, lol)

I'll take CIgnetti.

I blinked and now we have to replace 23 players who've left in the portal, including 90% of our offensive production.

He's going to have to recruit like a man possessed.

Reactions: nichlee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT