ADVERTISEMENT

Cig has never had a losing season.

I think it's entirely possible given that at least 3 of our losses this year were due to being outcoached on the field.

But the IU team that takes the field next year will probably have few of the players from last year!

Fielding a consistently competitive Big Ten IU football team will be the biggest challenge of his coaching career. I hope he's up to the task.
This year's team was very competitive in most conference games. Tom Allen got fired for not winning; his teams were usually very competitive.

See the last five games of the season and they were extremely competitive. I want a winning team, not just a competitive team. There's a difference.

FWIW, I think Cignetti will not only have competitive teams, but winning teams. As was mentioned, Allen and Wilson were often out coached. This guy seems like he will win the 50/50 games more often than not.

I think it's entirely possible given that at least 3 of our losses this year were due to being outcoached on the field.
We had 6 one score losses, so you would think just a nudge (like $3M in NIL) would get us over that hump, but that’s what we thought when CKW took over a 5 win squad and burned it to the ground, so who knows?

Will all depend on how the roster is made over. The schedule is very favorable to go bowling if the roster gets shaped up. I always think “coaching” is worth at a minimum 2-3 wins, so my money would be on 6 wins minimum.

I put coaching in quotes b/c I’m using it the way most people mean, ie in game clock management, strategy, adjustments, decisions… In reality that is only one aspect of “coaching”, along with recruiting/development of both players and staff, motivation, preparation, discipline, NIL distribution, etc etc. which is at least as critical, but less visible.

This year's team was very competitive in most conference games. Tom Allen got fired for not winning; his teams were usually very competitive.

See the last five games of the season and they were extremely competitive. I want a winning team, not just a competitive team. There's a difference.

FWIW, I think Cignetti will not only have competitive teams, but winning teams. As was mentioned, Allen and Wilson were often out coached. This guy seems like he will win the 50/50 games more often than not.
3-23 in conference play over the last three seasons is not, in my view, competitive football, irrespective of the scores.

The IUFB mindset is changing as we post. Every player on the roster will transition into holding that mindset or they won't be in C & C. I believe Cignetti stated, decisions are choices, results are not and people form habits but habits form people. He's not someone to 'F' around with. IUFB is heading to look a whole lot different.

His roster is going to be green in the new systems. Some coaches can overcome that but most good ones still fall back a couple wins for that. I'm also nervous that our roster will actually be weaker than this year, but keeping faith that will be wrong.

So I still see 6 wins. With the luck or randomness in football (fairly well know statistically I think) a 6-6 season could be 3-9 to 9-3 . So as long as we see progress, and I have zero doubt we will, I won't be upset with 4-5 wins. I hope for 7 or more, but geesh its the staff's first year.

Reactions: red hornet
I didn't actually check but I thought I read that Cig has never had a losing season as a head coach. A winning record in his first season at IU would be a huge achievement IMHO.

I think it's possible but it won't be easy.
Can’t see it happening.
Coach C has to recruit nearly half a team - he will by necessity fill the roster with JMU players, and players of that caliber. Sorry, those guys can’t compete in the Big Ten.

Can’t see it happening.
Coach C has to recruit nearly half a team - he will by necessity fill the roster with JMU players, and players of that caliber. Sorry, those guys can’t compete in the Big Ten.
Apparently, neither could the players who were already here, unless you call 3 B1G wins in 3 years competing. I'll take a chance on guys who won big at a lower level of D1 over guys who already proved they could lose consistently at this level.

I think we can win our 3 non conference games , and then we just need to find 3 more wins in the Big. I think that is very attainable. That would get us into a bowl , and then a win there would give us a winning season . Of course I’m always optimistic , but then I’ve got to be right one of these days . I trust in coach Cig .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT