ADVERTISEMENT

(Slightly OT) NBA / Pacers / IU Question

So, your first 3 states are Southern, each with much higher % of blacks. Kansas has a HOF coach and outstanding winning tradition, so it's obvious why recruits would be attracted there. NB has similar challenges to IN in that regard and now that they don't have a HOF coach, have similar struggles. Utah: same, only decent when they've had good coaches, and has even bigger hurdles to overcome racially/socially.

I live in NC and have several black friends here. If I mentioned to any of them their thoughts on moving to IN, they're reaction would be: "WTF, why? It's cold, hardly any black folks/community and nothing to do." Again, I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but it is a barrier with a lot of recruits, and I'm sure a lot of kids won't even consider coming to IN, where they might KU because of Self, their success in wins and developing players. Obviously I hope we get back there too, but I think it's ignorant to not think it's a factor. With CMW, we have some advantages in that he's black and played in the NBA. But, he's going to have to succeed at a higher level to keep attracting kids. Might be that with our recent recruiting slump, it's already creeping in. Winning fixes all.

Racial Makeup by State
Indiana has never had issues bringing in talent. ND, IU, Colts…

I wouldnt say say indy isn’t as bad as you are making it sound
It's not "bad" as in there are worse, and of course many black players have come here and had success, but I'm just telling you the impression of much of America: cold, conservative, white and boring. Again, I'm betting you're white and were probably raised white, middle-class. Yes, Indy is attractive to you, as it is to me. But, if you were black and from Atlanta, Philly, NYC or Detroit, it's less attractive and you're probably going to need some reasons to want to come. That could be a lucrative salary, playing for a great team or other great players, or playing for a HOF coach.

Indiana has never had issues bringing in talent. ND, IU, Colts…
Eh, hopeless. OK, then it's totally a fabrication and the OP is wrong as are all those he's heard that from. He asked, I answered, and a bunch of middle class white guys want to argue about it. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's a hurdle and something our coaches have to address in their prospecting and pitches. Not a big deal, but it is a factor. Even your examples are ironic: yep, IU, ND and the Colts are all right where they want to be!

It's not "bad" as in there are worse, and of course many black players have come here and had success, but I'm just telling you the impression of much of America: cold, conservative, white and boring. Again, I'm betting you're white and were probably raised white, middle-class. Yes, Indy is attractive to you, as it is to me. But, if you were black and from Atlanta, Philly, NYC or Detroit, it's less attractive and you're probably going to need some reasons to want to come. That could be a lucrative salary, playing for a great team or other great players, or playing for a HOF coach.
I would much rather live in Indy vs detroit, Memphis, Philly, Cleveland or DC. Issue currently in Indy is crime is getting higher and higher…mainly in the black community.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Eh, hopeless. OK, then it's totally a fabrication and the OP is wrong as are all those he's heard that from. He asked, I answered, and a bunch of middle class white guys want to argue about it. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's a hurdle and something our coaches have to address in their prospecting and pitches. Not a big deal, but it is a factor. Even your examples are ironic: yep, IU, ND and the Colts are all right where they want to be!
Your last line makes zero sense…

I would much rather live in Indy vs detroit, Memphis, Philly, Cleveland or DC. Issue currently in Indy is crime is getting higher and higher…mainly in the black community.
you really are tone deaf here. Of course YOU would, that's not the point. The OP asked why Indy is not known as a desirable destination for NBA players or Btown might not be for bball recruits. If you're not 1)black, 2) from a bigger city, and 3) a top 100 bball recruit, you're not who I'm talking about.

My last line in my previous post was just pointing out the irony that the 3 teams you cited as not having trouble pulling in talent are not where they'd like to be at the moment. Yes, they've had talented players in the past, but at the moment the Colts are out of the playoffs, ND is 0-3 in the ACC and former conference favorite IU is licking our wounds after having our butts handed to us in 3 of our most recent games.

you really are tone deaf here. Of course YOU would, that's not the point. The OP asked why Indy is not known as a desirable destination for NBA players or Btown might not be for bball recruits. If you're not 1)black, 2) from a bigger city, and 3) a top 100 bball recruit, you're not who I'm talking about.

My last line in my previous post was just pointing out the irony that the 3 teams you cited as not having trouble pulling in talent are not where they'd like to be at the moment. Yes, they've had talented players in the past, but at the moment the Colts are out of the playoffs, ND is 0-3 in the ACC and former conference favorite IU is licking our wounds after having our butts handed to us in 3 of our most recent games.
Ok let’s use OSU, Michigan and ND football.
Oh best teams in nfl are in KC, Buffalo, Philly and Minnesota. Pacers issue historically is that they have never been bad enough to draft the superstar.

NBA superstars:
Luka- drafted by dallas
Giannis- drafted by milwaukee
Tatum- drafted by celtics
Morant- drafted by Memphis
Curry/Thompson- drafted by golden st
Booker- drafted by phoenix
Young- drafted by hawks
Joker- drafted by nuggets

**nba is won in the draft not FA unless it’s Lebron loading a super team

NBA superstars:
Luka- drafted by dallas
Giannis- drafted by milwaukee
Tatum- drafted by celtics
Morant- drafted by Memphis
Curry/Thompson- drafted by golden st
Booker- drafted by phoenix
Young- drafted by hawks
Joker- drafted by nuggets

**nba is won in the draft not FA unless it’s Lebron loading a super team
The same can be said about players coming out of the Portal.

Many of the posts here miss the point. Lebron has four years of college eligibility left. He will be coming to IU not the Pacers. I don't like Lebron all that much but he will add pizzazz to our offense.

Reactions: salient43
Many of the posts here miss the point. Lebron has four years of college eligibility left. He will be coming to IU not the Pacers. I don't like Lebron all that much but he will add pizzazz to our offense.
Any player that comes to IU automatically loses their 3 point shooting.

Reactions: CriticArisen
No he will go to another Midwest school that’s cold. OSU

The issue was whether or not the cities they live in are more desirable and I am saying they aren’t.
No, the issue was why IN/IU might not be the most desirable destination for free agents or recruits. Recruits want to play for great coaches, great teammates and programs that will elevate their future, and some will also want to do it in a City they like and are comfortable in. If you have a HOF coach or great surrounding players, they'll often overlook the City, if not, it can be more of a factor.

No, the issue was why IN/IU might not be the most desirable destination for free agents or recruits. Recruits want to play for great coaches, great teammates and programs that will elevate their future, and some will also want to do it in a City they like and are comfortable in. If you have a HOF coach or great surrounding players, they'll often overlook the City, if not, it can be more of a factor.
What data you using for this?
Duke still recruiting the same as when K there.
Lawrence Kansas?
West Lafayette is where number 1 ranked team is.
Waco texas?
Lubbock?
Spokane?
Lexington?

Someone told me they were waiting for an elevator at a Texas Tech dorm and two girls were waiting there. A highly ranked running back and a huge O lineman come out of the elevator. The lineman is staggering. The girls start giving the running back a hard time-We told you not to get him effed up. You know we can't get him up if he passes out.

What data you using for this?
Duke still recruiting the same as when K there.
Lawrence Kansas?
West Lafayette is where number 1 ranked team is.
Waco texas?
Lubbock?
Spokane?
Lexington?
Yeah, I think Scheyer is recruiting at the same level, and it's Duke... see what I said about HOF coach and great program who puts guys in the league every year. Same in Lawrence and yes, Lexington (no doubt they are an NBA factory; HOF coach is questionable). Spokane? They struggle to attract top flight kids and rely on the handful they get and internationals and transfers. Waco, Lubbock and WL? None are recruiting hotbeds. Paynter basically has given up on 5* recruits and is focusing on system and role player guys. You think that's because he doesn't want 5* guys?

The point is not whether you can build a program that wins in more challenging recruiting terrain, it's why it's been said that IN isn't a super desireable destination for top flight recruits or free agents.

Yeah, I think Scheyer is recruiting at the same level, and it's Duke... see what I said about HOF coach and great program who puts guys in the league every year. Same in Lawrence and yes, Lexington (no doubt they are an NBA factory; HOF coach is questionable). Spokane? They struggle to attract top flight kids and rely on the handful they get and internationals and transfers. Waco, Lubbock and WL? None are recruiting hotbeds. Paynter basically has given up on 5* recruits and is focusing on system and role player guys. You think that's because he doesn't want 5* guys?

The point is not whether you can build a program that wins in more challenging recruiting terrain, it's why it's been said that IN isn't a super desireable destination for top flight recruits or free agents.
I would say you are wrong in your assessment. Typical liberal logic is what it sounds like.
Iu always lands good talent, just like ND football, OSU and Michigan football.

So, your first 3 states are Southern, each with much higher % of blacks. Kansas has a HOF coach and outstanding winning tradition, so it's obvious why recruits would be attracted there. NB has similar challenges to IN in that regard and now that they don't have a HOF coach, have similar struggles. Utah: same, only decent when they've had good coaches, and has even bigger hurdles to overcome racially/socially.

I live in NC and have several black friends here. If I mentioned to any of them their thoughts on moving to IN, they're reaction would be: "WTF, why? It's cold, hardly any black folks/community and nothing to do." Again, I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but it is a barrier with a lot of recruits, and I'm sure a lot of kids won't even consider coming to IN, where they might KU because of Self, their success in wins and developing players. Obviously I hope we get back there too, but I think it's ignorant to not think it's a factor. With CMW, we have some advantages in that he's black and played in the NBA. But, he's going to have to succeed at a higher level to keep attracting kids. Might be that with our recent recruiting slump, it's already creeping in. Winning fixes all.

Racial Makeup by State
You seriously pulled the “I have black friends” card? Dear Lord.

Oh best teams in nfl are in KC, Buffalo, Philly and Minnesota. Pacers issue historically is that they have never been bad enough to draft the superstar.
The Pacers traded the #2 pick in the 1984 draft for a bum: they could have drafted Jordan. They also had the #2 pick in 1983, 1985 (could have drafted Karl Malone or Mullin), and 1988, #4 in 1986, and #7 in 1989 (could have drafted Tim Hardaway or Shawn Kemp). But, starting in the 90's, you are right. The Pacers did a good job by drafting Clark Kellogg, Chuck Person, Reggie, and Rik in the 80's.

The highest picks the Pacers have had since the early 90's are #5 in 1999, #6 in 2022, #10 in 1996 (could have drafted Kobe) and 2010 (Paul George), #11 in 2008 and 2015, and #12 in 1997. The Pacers did draft Kawhi Leonard at #15 in 2011, but traded him. The Pacers have had their chances to draft really good players. Admittedly, hindsight is 20/20. Imagine if the Pacers draft Jordan and Kobe or Kawhi and George play together in Indy. I think Jonathan Bender could have been really good if he is healthy.

Last edited:
The Pacers traded the #2 pick in the 1984 draft for a bum: they could have drafted Jordan. They also had the #2 pick in 1983, 1985 (could have drafted Karl Malone or Mullin), and 1988, #4 in 1986, and #7 in 1989 (could have drafted Tim Hardaway or Shawn Kemp). But, starting in the 90's, you are right. The Pacers did a good job by drafting Clark Kellogg, Chuck Person, Reggie, and Rik in the 80's.

The highest picks the Pacers have had since the early 90's is #5 in 1999, #6 in 2022, #10 in 1996 (could have drafted Kobe) and 2010 (Paul George), #11 in 2008 and 2015, and #12 in 1997. The Pacers did draft Kawhi Leonard at #15 in 2011, but traded him. The Pacers have had their chances to draft really good players. Admittedly, hindsight is 20/20. Imagine if the Pacers draft Jordan and Kobe or Kawhi and George play together in Indy. I think Jonathan Bender could have been really good if he is healthy.
Their biggest miss was Larry Bird. The Leonards wanted to draft him in 78, but the people that signed the checks didn't want to have to wait a year.

You seriously pulled the “I have black friends” card? Dear Lord.
It has nothing to do with the fact that I have black friends, it just helps to show that IN would not be a desirable place for them to move to or to go for college. I also played the old white guy card in saying that I'm betting that you and the others arguing this are middle class white guys who grew up in IN or the midwest. And again, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it's a factor that has to be overcome when recruiting kids from larger urban areas or the South. The best way to combat it is to win at a national level as a program and put kids in the NBA.

I'm old enough that my kids and those of my friends down here all have kids who have been to or are applying to college. I'm always shocked at how popular it is to apply to out of state schools, and yet out of all the kids around here who apply to colleges all over the country, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's kid applying to IU and very few B10/midwestern schools at all. Tons to Alabama, Auburn, UT, UF, FSU, LSU and some to northeastern, Texas or Pacific schools, but for a large part of the country, IU and the traditional Big 10 schools are not places they want to go.

It has nothing to do with the fact that I have black friends, it just helps to show that IN would not be a desirable place for them to move to or to go for college. I also played the old white guy card in saying that I'm betting that you and the others arguing this are middle class white guys who grew up in IN or the midwest. And again, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it's a factor that has to be overcome when recruiting kids from larger urban areas or the South. The best way to combat it is to win at a national level as a program and put kids in the NBA.

I'm old enough that my kids and those of my friends down here all have kids who have been to or are applying to college. I'm always shocked at how popular it is to apply to out of state schools, and yet out of all the kids around here who apply to colleges all over the country, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's kid applying to IU and very few B10/midwestern schools at all. Tons to Alabama, Auburn, UT, UF, FSU, LSU and some to northeastern, Texas or Pacific schools, but for a large part of the country, IU and the traditional Big 10 schools are not places they want to go.
Recruiting hasnt been the issue for IU. Coaching has.

Football, tailgating, parties, weather…. Not race

I'm not going to argue about The Pacers or Colts, because I don't care or know enough about those teams and situations. I think overall, salaries in the NBA and NFL have risen so much in the last 5 years as to make it less of an issue... guys would live in Timbuktu if they can make 30 million a year. And, our NIL position may do the same for our recruiting, to some degree. It's obvious when superstars decide on a destination they will go to a less desirable place to play with other super stars, so if you can get that working in your favor, you'll also be able to attract some guys.

OSU is in Columbus... a much bigger City than Bloomington, so it's not going to feel as isolated as Bloomington. I've never been to Ann Arbor, but I would guess it's close enough to Detroit to feel like you're in a suburb of Detroit vs it's own separate town, compared to how Bloomington feels relative to Indy. Plus UM I would also think has a little more appeal in the black community because of the Fab 5 and Juwan Howard. There's no point in arguing, you have decided you like Bloomington and refuse to even consider why it might feel less welcoming to a black kid from the South or larger cities, so there's no point in trying to explain or discuss it. I'm confident with the number of black coaches we have on our staff, they are aware of it and try and decipher if that's an issue with prospects and present the campus and location in it's best light. As I've said, it can be overcome, largely with winning on a national level and putting guys in the NBA and that's ultimately where I hope we get to again.

I'm not going to argue about The Pacers or Colts, because I don't care or know enough about those teams and situations. I think overall, salaries in the NBA and NFL have risen so much in the last 5 years as to make it less of an issue... guys would live in Timbuktu if they can make 30 million a year. And, our NIL position may do the same for our recruiting, to some degree. It's obvious when superstars decide on a destination they will go to a less desirable place to play with other super stars, so if you can get that working in your favor, you'll also be able to attract some guys.

OSU is in Columbus... a much bigger City than Bloomington, so it's not going to feel as isolated as Bloomington. I've never been to Ann Arbor, but I would guess it's close enough to Detroit to feel like you're in a suburb of Detroit vs it's own separate town, compared to how Bloomington feels relative to Indy. Plus UM I would also think has a little more appeal in the black community because of the Fab 5 and Juwan Howard. There's no point in arguing, you have decided you like Bloomington and refuse to even consider why it might feel less welcoming to a black kid from the South or larger cities, so there's no point in trying to explain or discuss it. I'm confident with the number of black coaches we have on our staff, they are aware of it and try and decipher if that's an issue with prospects and present the campus and location in it's best light. As I've said, it can be overcome, largely with winning on a national level and putting guys in the NBA and that's ultimately where I hope we get to again.
You are making something out of nothing here dude. Yeesh.

Football, tailgating, parties, weather…. Not race
I've never said race exclusively, and have always also tied in larger urban areas or the south. The kids I'm talking about that I know are largely white, but I live in the South and would agree many of the same issues apply whether white or black for many kids, but there is also an added hurdle in recruiting black kids to IN and many are going to feel like it's not for them.

You are making something out of nothing here dude. Yeesh.
No, I just responded to the OP why Bloomington might not always be viewed as a desirable location for some recruits. I'd love to hear honestly from the kid we just lost to AL who was from SC, but I would not be surprised if that wasn't a concern of his and I'll bet AL's campus and area felt a lot more comfortable for him because it's in the South and I'd guess racial composition is pretty similar to where he was from in SC. There was a noticeable difference racially from Indy and Columbus where I lived after college, and moving to Charlotte 30 years ago and while it's improved, it's still a difference.

I've never said race exclusively, and have always also tied in larger urban areas or the south. The kids I'm talking about that I know are largely white, but I live in the South and would agree many of the same issues apply whether white or black for many kids, but there is also an added hurdle in recruiting black kids to IN and many are going to feel like it's not for them.
Charlotte, NC barely qualifies as "the South"

No, I just responded to the OP why Bloomington might not always be viewed as a desirable location for some recruits. I'd love to hear honestly from the kid we just lost to AL who was from SC, but I would not be surprised if that wasn't a concern of his and I'll bet AL's campus and area felt a lot more comfortable for him because it's in the South and I'd guess racial composition is pretty similar to where he was from in SC. There was a noticeable difference racially from Indy and Columbus where I lived after college, and moving to Charlotte 30 years ago and while it's improved, it's still a difference.
You are making a huge assumption here. Iu has never had issues landing black athletes and recruiting has not been an issue either. By your logic the best bball programs should be all places like St John, USC, LSU, Tulane, Georgia and Georgia tech. Instead the successful programs are where they have rich programs with good coaches.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Weather sucks in the winter
Taxes ..
Players that are considered superstars.
Which are about 15 in the NBA..
Just aren't in love with the Midwest..
And....Waaay to conservative...

Weather sucks in the winter
Taxes ..
Players that are considered superstars.
Which are about 15 in the NBA..
Just aren't in love with the Midwest..
And....Waaay to conservative...
Oh Bs on being conservative. That has nothing to do with it. I mean Bama, Louisiana, texas, Florida, Ohio, indiana, Kentucky, Georgia(most years) would never win.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT