ADVERTISEMENT

Six classic sequential studio albums from a single band/artist. Who ya got, fellow music aficionados?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Not an original idea from me, as I saw it on one of the you tube channels I subscribe to. Basic premise is that anyone can have a run of 3 or 4 hugely successful albums in a row, but to have 6 in a row is particularly impressive and more of an exclusive club to belong to. Live albums don't count, so it's got to be six legendary studio releases in a row. I guess "legendary" can be subjective, but hey choose your group/artist and make your case...

I'll start with what I consider a pretty easy choice, so folks can have a frame of reference...

Rolling Stones Dec 1968- Oct 1974.

Starting with Beggar's Banquet and ending with It's Only Rock and Roll. So basically six legendary albums within a 6 yr period...

Beggar's Banquet- opens with Sympathy for the Devil, and also includes classics like Street Fighting Man and Salt of the Earth...

Let it Bleed- opens with Gimme Shelter, includes Midnight Rambler and closes with You Can't Always Get...That was 1969...

Two years later Sticky Fingers (with what may be the greatest album cover ever) explodes with Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Bitch, Dead Flowers, Sister Morphine...

Then a double dose of brilliance with Exile- classics like Rocks Off/Rip This Joint, Happy, Tumbling Dice. That's 4 classic album releases in less than 4 yrs, and we can't even count Ya- Ya' s, which a lot of people rank among the greatest live albums ever...

Then Goats Head Soup with Star****er, Heartbreaker, Angie in Aug 1973, just as I was starting freshman year at IU...

And finally a year later Only Rock and Roll- including the title cut, Time Waits for No One, and the brilliant cover of Ain't Too Proud to Beg

An amazingly prolific 6 yr period...

They had to amend the title for 1973 US airplay. Shockingly scandalous...

This is a layup:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

1973- The Wild, The Innocent
1975- Born to Run
1978- Darkness on the Edge of Town
1980-The River
1982-Nebraska
1984-Born in the USA
1987-Tunnel of Love (I know, that’s 7)

I defer to you to speak to the greatness of each.

Edit to add: I left out Greetings From Asbury Park to get a reaction from the Cosmic Kid 😊

Last edited:
This turned out to be surprisingly tough. I thought it would be easy to just load up a Pink Floyd discography, but even if you take out that silly soundtrack they did, there's no way to really stretch a list past five. So I kept thinking about it, and decided to offer Steely Dan's first six albums.

Can't Buy a Thrill and Countdown to Ecstasy started the band off right. Both are solid, well-produced albums that contain multiple songs that millions of people could immediately start singing along with if they came on the radio.

Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied were the peak, obviously. Classics even among the classics. Pretzel Logic especially has to be listed among the greatest studio albums of all time.

The Royal Scam and Aja were not as good comparatively, but looked at in their own light, they are still exceptional offerings. Songs like "Kid Charlemagne," "Peg," and "Deacon Blues" are there to be found among albums considered the band's second-tier level of work.

Last edited:
Not an original idea from me, as I saw it on one of the you tube channels I subscribe to. Basic premise is that anyone can have a run of 3 or 4 hugely successful albums in a row, but to have 6 in a row is particularly impressive and more of an exclusive club to belong to. Live albums don't count, so it's got to be six legendary studio releases in a row. I guess "legendary" can be subjective, but hey choose your group/artist and make your case...

I'll start with what I consider a pretty easy choice, so folks can have a frame of reference...

Starting with Beggar's Banquet and ending with It's Only Rock and Roll. So basically six legendary albums within a 6 yr period...

Beggar's Banquet- opens with Sympathy for the Devil, and also includes classics like Street Fighting Man and Salt of the Earth...

Let it Bleed- opens with Gimme Shelter, includes Midnight Rambler and closes with You Can't Always Get...That was 1969...

Two years later Sticky Fingers (with what may be the greatest album cover ever) explodes with Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Bitch, Dead Flowers, Sister Morphine...

Then a double dose of brilliance with Exile- classics like Rocks Off/Rip This Joint, Happy, Tumbling Dice. That's 4 classic album releases in less than 4 yrs, and we can't even count Ya- Ya' s, which a lot of people rank among the greatest live albums ever...

Then Goats Head Soup with Star****er, Heartbreaker, Angie in Aug 1973, just as I was starting freshman year at IU...

And finally a year later Only Rock and Roll- including the title cut, Time Waits for No One, and the brilliant cover of Ain't Too Proud to Beg

- The Allman Brothers Band
- Idlewild South
- At Fillmore East (best live album ever, btw)
- Eat a Peach
- Brothers and Sisters
- Win, Lose or Draw.

Old Blue Eyes released 30+ just in the 60’s. Some great great songs in those albums. No way to know if they were ”legendary“.

I'd nominate Radiohead:
The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A
Amnesiac
Hail to the Thief
In Rainbows

Could even include the OK Computer leftover EP 'Airbag' on this list.

It's a transformational journey where each album is brilliant but unique to each other while keeping the same rudimentary elements.

Radiohead mastered fragile tension, uncertainty and insecurity to where they made you feel like you were walking on thin ice, knowing that at any moment it's going to crack and you're going fall through.

A lot of bands do melancholy but it comes across as overly whiney (The Smiths, The Cure, etc). Radiohead mastered how to make you feel it, like a great movie composer, where the music draws the emotion out of you subtly.

Even their very early radio hit (Creep) off their first album Pablo Honey (not included in the list cause while solid isn't the masterpieces that the other six in a row are) uses those elements which makes it an emotionally charged song of longing, insecurity, doubt and tension even though the song itself is not complicated....it still pulls an emotion out.

There's a reason why Radiohead are heavily featured in movie and tv shows.

Example here like in the ending of Westworld season one (which was a brilliant season before it became a mess in future seasons. Season one was as good as anything on tv IMO).

Westworld actually featured 4 songs season one (Fake Plastic Trees - The Bends, Motion Picture Soundtrack - Kid A, No Surprises - OK Computer) including Exit Music from OK Computer on the season ending scene.

Layup:
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles (White Album)
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road

Dunk:
Talking Book
Innervisions
Fulfillingness First Finale
Song in the Key of Life
Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants
Hotter than July
In Square Circle
The Woman in Red
Characters
Jungle Fever
Conversation Peace

Last edited:
Layup:
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles (White Album)
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road

Dunk:
Talking Book
Innervisions
Fulfillingness First Finale
Song in the Key of Life
Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants
Hotter than July
In Square Circle
The Woman in Red
Characters
Jungle Fever
Conversation Peace
Love me some Stevie. Well done.

Reactions: cosmickid
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Sunflower
Surfs Up

Brian Wilson was just crushing it over this period.

Edit: Dire Straits. This one is interesting because they only released 6 studio albums. I also recognize that their last one is the weakest, but man Communique - Brothers in Arms is awesome:

Dire Straits
Communique
Making Movies
Love Over Gold
Brothers in Arms
On Every Corner

You could also slide the live album Alchemy in before Brothers in Arms and ditch On Every Corner.

Last edited:
I tried to to The Who, but could only get 5, and TMP would hate even that.

Tommy
Who's Next
Quadrophenia
Who By Numbers
Who Are You

To get 6 I'd have to go to Face Dances (can't do that) or start with The Who Sell Out (not doing that either.) Oh well.

Edit:

I'll add REM, as I liked their early stuff

Murmur
Reckoning
Fables of the Reconstruction
Life's Rich Pageant
Document
Green

They lost their way after that.

Last edited:

Song to A Seagull
Clouds
Ladies of the Canyon
Blue
For The Roses
Court and Spark
The Hissing of Summer Lawns
Hejira

Zepplin 1-4, Houses of the Holy, Physical Grafitti

Some other considerations, likely not universal:

Talking Heads first six albums 77 - little creatures

I would think James brown had a string of 6 between 67-75

Beastie boys license to ill - 5 boroughs

- Santana
- Abraxas
- Santana III
- Caravanserai
- Welcome
- Borboletta

Miles Davis

Kind of Blue
Sketches
Someday my prince will come
seven steps to heaven
Quiet nights
ESP
Miles smiles
sorcerer
nefertiti
Miles in the sky
Files de Kilimanjaro
IN a silent way

The next one is Bitches Brew, and actually find it to be overrated. Sounds more like a recorded sound check than a record that contains any meaningful compositions. I know…sacred cow being slaughtered right there.

It's a transformational journey where each album is brilliant but unique to each other while keeping the same rudimentary elements.

Radiohead mastered fragile tension, uncertainty and insecurity to where they made you feel like you were walking on thin ice, knowing that at any moment it's going to crack and you're going fall through.

A lot of bands do melancholy but it comes across as overly whiney (The Smiths, The Cure, etc). Radiohead mastered how to make you feel it, like a great movie composer, where the music draws the emotion out of you subtly.

OMG, you're one of those school newspaper music critic BS writers, aren't you.

• Love
Reactions: TommyCracker
This is a layup:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

1973- The Wild, The Innocent
1975- Born to Run
1978- Darkness on the Edge of Town
1980-The River
1982-Nebraska
1984-Born in the USA
1987-Tunnel of Love (I know, that’s 7)

I defer to you to speak to the greatness of each.

Edit to add: I left out Greetings From Asbury Park to get a reaction from the Cosmic Kid 😊
I was going to start with BTR and just go for the 6, but the way you chose to go is obviously a slam dunk. The only thing about Greetings and even WIESS that made me hesitate to include them is that the commercial success came retroactively (after people discovered BTR and Darkness) when people started to dig into the back catalogue...

Reactions: Morrison

Tommy
Who's Next
Quadrophenia
Who By Numbers
Who Are You

To get 6 I'd have to go to Face Dances (can't do that) or start with The Who Sell Out (not doing that either.) Oh well.

Edit:

Murmur
Reckoning
Life's Rich Pageant
Document
Green

I'd stick Odds and Sods in your Who 5 pack to qualify, though I'd have to dig into the chronology to find the exact sequence. Vastly underrated and Long Live Rock is classic...

Miles Davis

Kind of Blue
Sketches
Someday my prince will come
seven steps to heaven
Quiet nights
ESP
Miles smiles
sorcerer
nefertiti
Miles in the sky
Files de Kilimanjaro
IN a silent way

The next one is Bitches Brew, and actually find it to be overrated. Sounds more like a recorded sound check than a record that contains any meaningful compositions. I know…sacred cow being slaughtered right there.
Most of those were just recorded practices.

I'd stick Odds and Sods in your Who 5 pack to qualify, though I'd have to dig into the chronology to find the exact sequence. Vastly underrated and Long Live Rock is classic...

I'd love to be able to do CSN/CSNY because from Junior High thru High School they were by far my favorite group. But alas we all know that after the brilliance of CSN, Deja Vu, and 4 way Street (which by the rules doesn't count), the petty squabbles and egos pretty much ruined it for the group itself...

But I suspected Neil solo would qualify, and what I found was amazing. If you actually look at Neil's album discography chronologically it's pretty spectacular. He split from both Springfield and CSN&Y to pursue his dream of being a solo artist, and it's nearly impossible to argue with the results...He may have the most successive run of any artist I've looked into- no wonder I bought all these albums...

Start with Neil Young (debut) in '68- Old Laughing Lady, The Loner, Last Train to Tulsa. This is the 7 yr run from 68-75...

Nowhere
Goldrush
Harvest
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's the Night
Zuma

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with any of those, and then in '76 he collaborated with Stills on Long May You Run. Both contributed classics Neil the title cut, Moonlight On The Bay, Fontainebleau and Stills with Black Coral and Guardian Angel...

So that's either 8 or 9 classic albums from 68-76, depending on whether you include Long May You Run (which I do). Then in '77 he released American Stars and Bars with Like A Hurricane, Bite the Bullet, Hold Back the Tears and Saddle Up the Palomino.

Then Comes a Time and Rust and capped by Live Rust from 78-79. For my money (which I spent) that's basically double digit consecutive classics from 68-79. Just a remarkable achievement, by any measure...

I know Cortez loves Cortez the Killer, but if I was going to adopt a NY themed screenname this would have to be a serious contender...

Foo Fighters
Self Titled
The Colour and the Shape
There is Nothing Left to Lose
One by One
In Your Honor
Echoes, Silence, Patience, & Grace
Wasting Light

All went RIAA Platinum. Lowest peak chart position was original Foo Fighters album at #23. The rest were all top 10 in the US.

Michael Jackson
Off the Wall
Thriller
Bad
Dangerous
HIStory
Invincible

Queen
Queen II
Sheer Heart Attack
A Night at the Opera
A Day at the Races
News of the World
Jazz
The Game

Madonna also had a hell of a run, if you're into that kind of thing. I'm a fan of quite a few of the hits, even ignoring some of her very early stuff.

Odds and Sods was released between Quadrophenia, and Who By Numbers. It's not considered a studio album release but a compilation, even though most of the tracks had been previously unreleased.

Last edited:

Tommy
Who's Next
Quadrophenia
Who By Numbers
Who Are You

Edit:

Murmur
Reckoning
Life's Rich Pageant
Document
Green

I think Automatic for the People was good. Monster wasn't bad. But yeah, after that I generally agree with you.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
10 album run

1) James Taylor, Dec 1968, top single: Carolina on my Mind- 3x platinum
2) Sweet Baby James, Feb 1970: singles Sweet Baby James, Fire & Rain, Country Road- 2x platinum
3) Mudslide Slim, March 1971: singles You've Got a Friend, Long Ago and Far Away- Gold
4) Walking Man, June 1974: singles Walking Man, Daddy's Baby
5) Gorilla, May 1975: singles How Sweet It is to be Loved By You, Mexico, You Make It easy- Gold
6) In the Pocket, June 1976 singles: Shower the People, Everybody Has the Blues-Gold
7) Greatest Hits, Nov 1976- 11x platinum
8) JT, June 1977 singles: Handy Man, Your Smiling Face, Honey Don't Leave LA- 3x platinum
9) Flag, May 1979 top single: Up on the Roof-Platinum
10) Dad Loves His Work, March 1981: top singles: Her Town Too, Hard Times, Summer's Here-platinum

His next 8 albums actually all went at least 1x platinum too: That's Why I'm Here, Never Die Young, New Moon Shine, James Taylor Live, Hourglass, October Road, The Best of James Taylor, A Christmas Album

That's 18 straight albums over 36 years

JT is a living legend.

Thinking of seeing him in concert next month, though I would have to pony up $250+ per ticket. Still a solid voice.

I don't hate the Who, I only make fun of the things Who fans say about the Who ... like calling Townsend a great guitarist, he wasn't. Or Daltrey a great singer, he wasn't.

And the constant posing by the guitarist and singer. Which deserves ridicule ..
c146f070b03ab6d77dc0d859241ba8b9--rock-roll-battement.jpg

WTF is this shit interpretive dance?
OIP.kELG5eIz78MjKtNOm5TiFwHaF3

I don't hate the Who, I only make fun of the things Who fans say about the Who ... like calling Townsend a great guitarist, he wasn't. Or Daltrey a great singer, he wasn't.

And the constant posing by the guitarist and singer. Which deserves ridicule ..
c146f070b03ab6d77dc0d859241ba8b9--rock-roll-battement.jpg

WTF is this shit interpretive dance?
OIP.kELG5eIz78MjKtNOm5TiFwHaF3
I love The Who, about as much as the Stones. It amazes me they only had 1 top 10 song.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT