ADVERTISEMENT

Since A.I. is touted as being all wonderful......

Tscurlo

Junior
Dec 11, 2011
I would really like to see A.I. do an analysis of the Caitlin Clark and Pete Maravich scoring records.

Since there wasn't a 3 Point Line back during his era.... there should be an in-depth study to compare
apples to apples..... and not apples to Oranges.

Given the fact that PM was only allowed to play College Varsity for 3 years without a 3 point line, compared
to CC's four seasons with a 3 point line.... the outcome could be very interesting.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Just means her score 2ont stand the test of time like PM. Purdue is having the same discussion with Rick Mount.

Also, number of games per season is different.

Give her 600 more field goal attempts and 300 more free throw attempts. That’s a place to start.

I would really like to see A.I. do an analysis of the Caitlin Clark and Pete Maravich scoring records.

Since there wasn't a 3 Point Line back during his era.... there should be an in-depth study to compare

Given the fact that PM was only allowed to play College Varsity for 3 years without a 3 point line, compared
to CC's four seasons with a 3 point line.... the outcome could be very interesting.
Back then when he played, there were no rules for three-point shots, 30-second shot clock, 5-second dead ball, two foul shots for the tenth foul, no flagrant 1 or 2, no alternating possession, no cute little arcs under the basket to penalize the defense on offensive drives, and on and on. Teams could actually defend scorers back then without getting called for imaginary fouls. There were fewer regular season games each season, and no conference tourneys to add additional games to the regular season total.

Despite all that, didn't Maravich still average like 38-40 points per game? He played just three years (since freshmen were not eligible to play varsity then) so we ought to add at least 10% to all his totals.

Rick Mount once gave an interview in which he estimated how many zillion more points he would have scored had three-point shots been awarded when he played. Maybe someone can find a copy of that.

Reactions: Tscurlo
Back then when he played, there were no rules for three-point shots, 30-second shot clock, 5-second dead ball, two foul shots for the tenth foul, no flagrant 1 or 2, no alternating possession, no cute little arcs under the basket to penalize the defense on offensive drives, and on and on. Teams could actually defend scorers back then without getting called for imaginary fouls. There were fewer regular season games each season, and no conference tourneys to add additional games to the regular season total.

Despite all that, didn't Maravich still average like 38-40 points per game? He played just three years (since freshmen were not eligible to play varsity then) so we ought to add at least 10% to all his totals.

Rick Mount once gave an interview in which he estimated how many zillion more points he would have scored had three-point shots been awarded when he played. Maybe someone can find a copy of that.
44.2 ppg for his career. No one will ever come within 15 ppg of his record. Ever.

44.2 ppg for his career. No one will ever come within 15 ppg of his record. Ever.
I love baseball, but baseball is even worse about its "records."

How many times have you heard the announcer say something like: "Oh my!! He just set a new record for most doubles with runners on first and third with one out and a 2 and 1 count during a Wednesday afternoon game."

The fact that computers can track it doesn't necessarily make it truly significant.

I love baseball, but baseball is even worse about its "records."

How many times have you heard the announcer say something like: "Oh my!! He just set a new record for most doubles with runners on first and third with one out and a 2 and 1 count during a Wednesday afternoon game."

The fact that computers can track it doesn't necessarily make it truly significant.
I call those Jim Nantz stats. He loves throwing those kind of numbers out there.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I posted a stat with a former teaching/coaching buddy who was certain they’d both played 3 years and the Pistol only had one year of 3 pointers. Somehow he came up with a stat of Pete only had 10 3s during his career. wtf?

There’s a story that Dale Brown went back and studied every varsity game Pete ever played at LSU. It’s was 83 games vs The Whiney Beitch at 129 games. Brown concluded Pete would have averaged 12 3s per game and averaged 57 for his career.

Maravich would annihilate her.

Reactions: Tscurlo
I'll re-iterate one data point....PM averaged 44.2 ppg for his CAREER.

No one else has, or will ever, come within 15ppg of that number. Never. Ever.
Not so fast, “Never. Ever.” Tiger. Old timers remember the name Johnny Neumann, who led the country in scoring his sophomore season while at Ole Miss with a 40.1 pts/game season average in 1971, just one year after Maravich graduated.

Not so fast, “Never. Ever.” Tiger. Old timers remember the name Johnny Neumann, who led the country in scoring his sophomore season while at Ole Miss with a 40.1 pts/game season average in 1971, just one year after Maravich graduated.
well yeah...if you pick someone who played just one season, had a crazy season, but never played a 2nd year, then yeah, you have Johnny Neumann. I'm talking about real 'careers' of several seasons. In fairness, if Neumann would have stayed, he probably would have averaged 40ppg for his career. Did they play any defense in the SEC back then?

Wasn't he one of the first "hardship" early departures from college ball?

Last edited:
Johnny Reb. When I was a kid and he was in the ABA, I thought that was really his name.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The SEC desegregated in 1967. Perry Wallace at Vanderbilt was the first. So Pete did play during that transition time, both in conference and vs schools from other conferences that had already moved forward. Your statement is not completely accurate.
I believe I read that two teams had de-segregated in the SEC by the time he was done playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT