ADVERTISEMENT

Shooters from Indiana

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But Cupps isn’t anywhere close to being in Smith’s league. Smith is a better ball handler, shooter, passer, penetrator. It isn’t close and not likely to be without a ton of Cupps improvement over the next 2 years. And I don’t dislike Cupps. But he isn’t a Big 10 caliber starting pg until at least yr 3. The portal for guards is critical for next year. Cause it ain’t Cupps.
I'd say that's about right, but I do think Smith made a big jump freshman to soph year. And, I agree, it's probably going to be year 3 before Cupps is ready to take over as starter, but if he also makes a jump, and we surround him with a couple shooters, I think we could get by with him next year. I also predict Smith is going to take a step back when he no longer has the big Canuck to toss it to, which is probably next year. I could get 6 assists/game if I had him to toss it to.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
And that's another argument in of itself. But to act like CJ Gunn wasn't a shooter coming out of high school simply implies you never watched him play.
I didnt say he wasn't a shooter in HS just saying he has took major steps back. But Leary has mentioned look at his feet he shoots from the side thats not good form.

Sounds kind of cliche, but maybe it’s still true. Who are the best shooters from the state NOT CURRENTLY PLAYING FOR IU (or Purdue)?

I’ll start: Connor Essigian, Wisky; Luke Goode, Illinois; Markus Burton, ND.

Go!
Currently at Blackhawk Christian in the Fort they have a 6'5" kid named Isaac Smith. He is such a good 3 pt shooter that if he misses when heis open you are surprised.

Gunn was a scorer in high school. He was a high volume shooter with a ton of athleticism. His development at IU has been kinda strange to say the least

Last edited:
Gunn was a scorer in shift school. He was a high volume shooter with a ton of athleticism. His development at IU has been kinda strange to say the least
P5 college is a huge step up from High School. Some guys need time to adjust. Or they don't, that happens often also.

The best shooter in the state in Indiana high school right now is Nolan Swan from Tipton. Not sure he is a high major but I haven’t ever seen a kid shoot like him. Range from about 28. He is 49-94 from 3
35-41 from ft line
Averages 21.8 pts a game for #2 ranked blue devils
What's his height and weight?

is carpenter's dad the coach? he looks like a sg and not a pg. he also looks like someone painter lands and utilizes well in his system.

is carpenter's dad the coach? he looks like a sg and not a pg. he also looks like someone painter lands and utilizes well in his system.
No, no relation to any of the coaches. Carpenter is a true PG, one of the best passers I have seen in a while. Also funny you mention Painter, Paibter loves the kid and said he is watching this season for Grady very closely. So never know what happens but the kid can play.

Kinda off topic-

Was Jace Rayl much of a shooter in high school? Anyone know?
No answer so I guess he didn’t impress. Did anyone on here see his grandfather Jimmy play for IU and if so where does he rank among the great IU shooters? For me he is just a legend and haven’t been able to locate any old video.

Jace is getting only very minimal playing time in his freshman year at Purdue.

I think any of the great shooters after Rayl have video available online so Rayl may be the last that doesn’t-shame.

No answer so I guess he didn’t impress. Did anyone on here see his grandfather Jimmy play for IU and if so where does he rank among the great IU shooters? For me he is just a legend and haven’t been able to locate any old video.

Jace is getting only very minimal playing time in his freshman year at Purdue.
I've never actually heard of Jace.

No, no relation to any of the coaches. Carpenter is a true PG, one of the best passers I have seen in a while. Also funny you mention Painter, Paibter loves the kid and said he is watching this season for Grady very closely. So never know what happens but the kid can play.
i will defer to your experience with this recruit because I have only seen him play once. but he dribbled too high and wasn't P5 quick. but his shooting/scoring is impressive and I like sg's that pass well.

Rayl graduated from IU in 63 so fewer people remember his play with each passing year. I hoped maybe someone on here still remembered his play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT