ADVERTISEMENT

Shitty coaching

Yep he is but he is probably too arrogant to step down.
too arrogant? He got a 1 million dollar raise to start the season. He's not stepping down. Just another in the litany of head-scratching decisions our AD has made. The only justification I can think of is if that was somehow part of their agreement when he was hired: "Woody, we're struggling to arrange your salary with Archie's buyout, but if you get us to the tourney the first 2 years, we'll give you a 1 million raise to start year 3". Beyond that, it makes no sense to me.

I think unless Dolson has some major booster backing and can pre-arrange a deal to get someone like Chris Beard, Pearl, etc... (the infamous "homerun hire") and pay Woody a buyout, we have at least 1 more year.

Reactions: DANC
Let me ask you this:

1.. Do you see how many shot fakes Purdue's guards and forwards, employ?

2. Do you see how few shot fakes our players use?

3. Do see see our players, including 5th year Galloway, routinely fly past the shot faker?

4. What excuses are there for this other than crappy coaching?
I haven’t noticed.

Reactions: SRThoosier
I’m in the sunshine crowd, and still here. What we are seeing is the effects of Woodson’s biggest, and maybe only, mistake at IU and that is Xavier Johnson. Woodson has brought in talent and develops his players, but we are out a starting point guard because Xavier is a bonehead. Not only is our starter not producing, we don’t have a five star developing behind him. Now the season is on Woodson to make lemonade.
Xavier Johnson, to me, isn’t the problem. He’s the symptom of having not established a culture. We know what Xavier is, an emotionally erratic, immature player. There’s no way Knight would have put up with his antics, and here we are 3-years into Woody’s tenure and X’s antics haven’t been handled.

You get what you tolerate.

Tony A. Was a guest on assembly call last night. He said a stat that made me puke. IU is in the 98th percentile for taking shots 3 feet inside of the three point line. That shot is the worst possible shot to take in college bball and we do it more than 98% of the teams. Now realize we are a horrid shooting team. Let that sink in.

We run actions for Gunn coming off screens to take that shot. I’ve seen it out of inbounds multiple times. So we game plan for a shitty shooter to take a difficult shot, that is the worst shot in the game analytics wise. Dumbasses.

Sitting dudes with 2 fouls for the half is essentially fouling them out in the 1st half. WTF good does it do to make sure they don’t get their third foul if the game is fuxking over when they go back in?? Oh and Mack finished with 2 fouls…. Dumbasses.

Too much talent for this shit showing. I place it squarely on Mikey W. If we miss the tournament I for sure will want him gone. This shit is pathetic.
I have always felt the sit with two tactic is overused but last night the fouls came so fast and for so little reason it was best. I don’t blame refs for losses but Had you been there last night tou would have heard me screaming “call that both ways”

Reactions: bbafficionado
Xavier Johnson, to me, isn’t the problem. He’s the symptom of having not established a culture. We know what Xavier is, an emotionally erratic, immature player. There’s no way Knight would have put up with his antics, and here we are 3-years into Woody’s tenure and X’s antics haven’t been handled.

You get what you tolerate.
Yeah, I have given X the benefit of the doubt but man, he just can’t handle it. He took the bait last night from Edey and the refs had seen enough,..he got hammered twice on drives plus the shove from Loyer and the refs just looked the other way.

I am not making any more excuses for him.

It was obvious on TV too, trust me. The calls were crazy.

If Loyer and x switch places he probably gets an F1. How they called that on x is asinine.

X loves antics, but right now he is not doing anything he thinks is close to dirty. He is playing tense and scared. Edey coming at him he threw his hands out a bit to check him. He would have plowed him over if not.

X is clearly lost right now. It is kinda sad. Really hope he can pull out of it.

At least the previous hires made a little sense. Woodson’s hire continues to mystify. His press conferences actually capture how he continues to second-guess his in-game decision making. It’s all just completely odd. He’s definitely out of touch and his mediocre NBA coaching career might be better served leading the Indiana Mad Ants. Give Woodson and this staff Purdue’s roster and they’d have 5-6 losses. Conversely, Painter and his crew would have IU ranked in the top 5. Purdue’s second best scorer was dismal and the Boilers scored 87.
There is no way that Painter would have this roster ranked in top 5 in the country. Very doubtful he could have it ranked in the top 15. Then again Painter would never have this roster.

If Loyer and x switch places he probably gets an F1. How they called that on x is asinine.

X loves antics, but right now he is not doing anything he thinks is close to dirty. He is playing tense and scared. Edey coming at him he threw his hands out a bit to check him. He would have plowed him over if not.

X is clearly lost right now. It is kinda sad. Really hope he can pull out of it.
Sadly for him, he is in a bed of his own making. He's established a perception now for both opponents and officials.

Did you catch Loyer hitting that three and turning to bark at the IU bench? Adorable

There is no way that Painter would have this roster ranked in top 5 in the country. Very doubtful he could have it ranked in the top 15. Then again Painter would never have this roster.
Yep. Because if Painter had IU's resources, he would still recruit players who fit his system. He would just recruit higher-rated players who fit his system.

Could you imagine how good he'd be then?

The refs were after X, no doubt. To be expected given the situation and BT refs.

It's not very likely but it is not a fact we won't. What I said is possible and it would put IU into the tournament. 100 percent.
well for starters, the next gym we play in....IU has a historical losing percentage of 100%.

Honestly, we could LOSE OUT every game now until the B1G Tourney...then 'win out'.. and would be national champions!!
It's fun to play pretend.

The IU mob will kill anyone, including Quinn and woody.

It is easy to see, I called both Archie and Crean firings. If the mob wants you gone, you are gone. If we miss the tourney, the mob will want blood.
Maybe the only silver lining is that we are not marginally good enough for Woodson to get an extension. If we are out of the tournament (looks like it at this point) - next year the seat will be really hot.

Maybe the only silver lining is that we are not marginally good enough for Woodson to get an extension. If we are out of the tournament (looks like it at this point) - next year the seat will be really hot.
I really don’t see him coaching next year if we miss the tourney. It would be a massive failure. Ware and MM are gone, and Malik could get a huge pay day at Miami for a year or try his luck in the G league.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I really don’t see him coaching next year if we miss the tourney. It would be a massive failure. Ware and MM are gone, and Malik could get a huge pay day at Miami for a year or try his luck in the G league.
front line mass exodus combined with weak backcourt could make for very long season. Hopes prayers and a NIL fortune in the portal the only hope. Curious to see how the Queen decision plays out. I thought we were in good shape, but not feeling that anymore.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
front line mass exodus combined with weak backcourt could make for very long season. Hopes prayers and a NIL fortune in the portal the only hope. Curious to see how the Queen decision plays out. I thought we were in good shape, but not feeling that anymore.
I could see Mcneely backing out

Reactions: IUPaterade724

X was holding Loyer for a bit before Loyer shoved him. X deserved the foul, it was just a late whistle. Loyer should have gotten a foul also (not sure if that would be considered F1 or just regular).

Only way we get in is if we win the BIG tourney. We are just a bad team this year
Agree. Unfortunately we have been a bad team for a long time now. Next year Ware goes pro, maybe Mgbako, Sparks and Ware lose eligibility (do I have that correct?), and we have minimal talent so far committed. The portal can change things, but why come to IU?
I see no change for next year.

I don't think that's going to be enough to fire him. He made the tournament in his first 2 years and can point to JHS's unexpected development (which he can take credit for) and early departure to explain the backcourt snafus. He also did well in getting MM, and KW here and I think KW will be a first round pick and you are seeing development in MM as the season progresses. Plus, he knows people in the right places. Short of a total tanking and more issues, I think he'll get next year if he wants it, and I think he'll want it.

One of the reasons I've been saying Dolson should be talking with CMW and guys like Dusty May, Beard, etc... Discord in the bball program at IU is not good for an AD's job security. If he's convinced CMW isn't the guy, his best hope is to orchestrate a buyout behind the scenes and bring in his "homerun" hire. I think if you paid CMW he'd be happy to cooperate and say he wants to step down due to his age/health/family, but I don't think he's going to step aside otherwise. But, he needs wealthy boosters to cooperate and I'm sure there aren't a ton of those after the football change.

That's false. IU winning out 100 percent puts them in the tourney. Not likely playing like last night but it is 100 percent true.
It's been nearly 23 years since Indiana has won a basketball game at the Kohl Center in Madison, and the losing streak is now at 19 games after Wednesday night's 64-59 loss to the Badgers. The streak has gone through five IU coaches, from Bob Knight through Archie Miller, and now first-year coach Mike Woodson.

Not to optimistic about friday

X was holding Loyer for a bit before Loyer shoved him. X deserved the foul, it was just a late whistle. Loyer should have gotten a foul also (not sure if that would be considered F1 or just regular).
Should have been a Common foul. It was a shove but not F1 level. X sold it big time.

I don't think that's going to be enough to fire him. He made the tournament in his first 2 years and can point to JHS's unexpected development (which he can take credit for) and early departure to explain the backcourt snafus. He also did well in getting MM, and KW here and I think KW will be a first round pick and you are seeing development in MM as the season progresses. Plus, he knows people in the right places. Short of a total tanking and more issues, I think he'll get next year if he wants it, and I think he'll want it.

One of the reasons I've been saying Dolson should be talking with CMW and guys like Dusty May, Beard, etc... Discord in the bball program at IU is not good for an AD's job security. If he's convinced CMW isn't the guy, his best hope is to orchestrate a buyout behind the scenes and bring in his "homerun" hire. I think if you paid CMW he'd be happy to cooperate and say he wants to step down due to his age/health/family, but I don't think he's going to step aside otherwise. But, he needs wealthy boosters to cooperate and I'm sure there aren't a ton of those after the football change.

Yeah he has some excuses. He also could argue that Newton's status was unexpected. If we had this team plus JHS and a healthy JN who knows?

At his age, CMW was never going to be a long-term hire. If Dolson didn't expect that he'd need to be thinking about the next coach sometime in the next few years, that's just being completely unrealistic.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Tony A. Was a guest on assembly call last night. He said a stat that made me puke. IU is in the 98th percentile for taking shots 3 feet inside of the three point line. That shot is the worst possible shot to take in college bball and we do it more than 98% of the teams. Now realize we are a horrid shooting team. Let that sink in.

We run actions for Gunn coming off screens to take that shot. I’ve seen it out of inbounds multiple times. So we game plan for a shitty shooter to take a difficult shot, that is the worst shot in the game analytics wise. Dumbasses.

Sitting dudes with 2 fouls for the half is essentially fouling them out in the 1st half. WTF good does it do to make sure they don’t get their third foul if the game is fuxking over when they go back in?? Oh and Mack finished with 2 fouls…. Dumbasses.

Too much talent for this shit showing. I place it squarely on Mikey W. If we miss the tournament I for sure will want him gone. This shit is pathetic.
When we played Kansas, self left McCullar in pretty much the entire game in foul trouble. Self also knew it was KU’s best chance to win. McCullar played 37 minutes and I bet no less than 2/3 of those minutes were in foul trouble. Gotta leave your best players on the floor when they’re your only chance.

When we played Kansas, self left McCullar in pretty much the entire game in foul trouble. Self also knew it was KU’s best chance to win. McCullar played 37 minutes and I bet no less than 2/3 of those minutes were in foul trouble. Gotta leave your best players on the floor when they’re your only chance.
Yeah we should have worked harder on fouling him out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT